PDA

View Full Version : Thick ends and updo's

WaitingSoLong
March 18th, 2013, 11:39 AM
How does everyone with blunt, thick ends keep them secured in updo's?

melusine963
March 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM
When I wear my spin pins, I make sure to secure my ends properly with the first one before I position the second. Even though I trimmed my hair a few days ago, I still have enough taper that tucking my ends in isn't a big problem yet. Once my hemline thickens up, however, I may need to revisit my technique.

jacqueline101
March 18th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I have a v hemline and my ends are thick. I agree spin pins are great.

vamq
March 18th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I have a straight hemline. Just had a haircut recently so, thick ends.
I use clawclips to secure them, and it works just fine :)

cooklaezo13
March 19th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I cannot, for the life of me, get my very thick and blunt ends to stay in an updo. I have thick hair, just past APL, no taper yet, and recently had a half inch trim. What I do is I fan the ends out and make them look pretty and look intentionally left out.

juliaxena
March 19th, 2013, 05:44 AM
I can't yet. I imagine with enough lenght the taper is bad enough for ends to stay in even if the ends still look thick. It is probably like you may not see it, but it is there.

WaitingSoLong
March 19th, 2013, 05:47 AM
This is all very helpful. If I cut back to waist my ends will be pretty thick and blunt and I am concerned I will not get them to stay in updo's at all.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 19th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I don't have any trouble with my ends staying in. But it is several years since I last trimmed so there is probably a slight bit of tapering there.

Fortresca
March 19th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I braid. As I can't get the strands to be perfectly the same, the end of the braid is thinner than if I only twist or anything. This helps.

juliaxena
March 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM
This is all very helpful. If I cut back to waist my ends will be pretty thick and blunt and I am concerned I will not get them to stay in updo's at all.

I don't think it will be a problem at waist. It started looking a lot better for me when I was near BSL (before I had to cut again due to new breakage/splits).

WaitingSoLong
March 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Well my hair is much thicker at waist than it is at FTL. But it is thicker still where my virgin hair finally hits, about BSL. I am considering waiting until my virgin hair reaches waist to do the big cut but then I will have major thick ends (for me), and I would guess not much taper.

juliaxena
March 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Perhaps when your hair is wet, take a section of it and see if there is a difference in thickness from roots down to BSL, then look further down. If there is no difference in thickness from roots to BSL, then WL might be too short because it probably won't decrease much from then on, otherwise I don't think so. My sister has crazy thick ends on WL hair (thick hair) and absolutely no ends sticking out of her bun.

WaitingSoLong
March 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Hmm. I cannot tell really because not all of my virgin hair is BSL, it starts at APL. And APL to nape is too short to judge!

But anyway, I know I have had 4" cuts in the past that made my ends thicker-enough that I had trouble keeping them in up-do's. I am just planning on it being and issue.

I could try spin pins and the braid idea.

Kaelee
March 19th, 2013, 06:15 PM
I can't yet. My hair is so thick I can barely braid it (my braid has about a 4-6'' tassle). Only way my ends stay in is a flipped bun (then they're under the flip).

patienceneeded
March 19th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I have a straight-across blunt hemline and my hair thickness is a iii. Sometimes the ends stay where I want them to, sometimes they pop out. It all depends on how much twist I do when I create the buns. I'm still rather limited on buns, due to the overall thickness of my hair. I don't mind a slightly messy look (blame my going to high school during the 90's grunge movement, perhaps) so I just let the ends flip out if they won't behave. Braiding first, then bunning works really well. LWB is also usually successful. I have issues with the cinnabun (not enough coils I think, too thick), WSL's Lazy-Infinity works too. Chinese braided bun works. Cameo Bun works. I can't do anything else yet unless I section my hair and do more than one bun.