PDA

View Full Version : Oiling hair before putting it up?

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I've started oiling my hair before I put it up for work (mostly to protect the ends)...I'm thinking I might go back to my old routine of oil after a wash instead of a leave in conditioner, and save the leave in for misbehaving hair during the day like I used to. My hair behaved better that way.

Does anyone oil their hair before they put it up specifically? Does the oil harm the hairtoys at all?

Eireann
March 18th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I think it depends on the hair toys. I think for some wooden toys, it actually helps keep the wood conditioned.

WaitingSoLong
March 18th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I only oil now as a deep oil treatment and not like a daily thing. But I definitely put my hair up oiled when I do. All my hair toys are wood so, no harm done.

truepeacenik
March 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Don't use a ficcare with oiled or damp hair.
Use darker woods, or well sealed woods, metal or acrylic.
I use oil thickly on the last eight or so inches (patting the rest through the canopy lightly) and put up, dry or damp.

For work, I occasionally use aloe vera gel to control short hairs.

At the end of the day, my ends are slightly damp and soft!

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Don't use a ficcare with oiled or damp hair.
Use darker woods, or well sealed woods, metal or acrylic.
I use oil thickly on the last eight or so inches (patting the rest through the canopy lightly) and put up, dry or damp.

For work, I occasionally use aloe vera gel to control short hairs.

At the end of the day, my ends are slightly damp and soft!

Ficcares are what I'd be using, though I usually use plastic clips for work. I put my hair up ever so slightly *damp* with a Ficcare (really slightly) and haven't seen an issue yet. But when I oiled my hair at night the oil was soaked in/gone by morning if I recall. Right now I'm using a leave in conditioner nightly that has oil and some other things in it, but when my hair is floofy...it doesn't do anything. It's not even "ends poking out' it's "updo explodes before I can put the clip in". My hair almost SPIT OUT a ficcare today and that hasn't happened to me before with this style, and that was after it'd been secure for an hour!

melusine963
March 18th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I use oil as a leave-in conditioner/detangler, so my hair almost always has some oil in it. It hasn't damaged my spin pins or bobby pins at all, but I haven't tried it with any wood hairtoys yet. That said, I never put in more coconut oil at any given time than will happily soak into my hair, so it's not like my hair toys are marinating in oil all day long.

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 04:09 PM
That's what i'm thinking, would it hurt my ficcares if my hair soaks up most of the oil? I never planned to marinate my toys :lol:

shutterpillar
March 18th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Most of the time I lightly oil my hair with coconut oil from my ears down before I put it up. For me, it just helps stray hairs and remaining layers stay in place and I feel it makes the updo look more polished (when I am going for the polished look... I like messy, too!) I have both wooden and acrylic hair forks and sticks, and none of them seem to be damaged by the oil.

HylianGirl
March 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I started working as a hostess at a restaurant, and I have to keep my hair up because of the length. I started oiling it before putting it on a bun for two reasons: 1 it helps keeping it soft, and since it's bunned, no one notices that it's really oily and 2 keeps my bun preety and shiny ^-^

ETA: I use either chopticks or metal sticks/pins, and they seem fine. I don't have any expensive wood hair toy though.

ravenreed
March 18th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I rarely oil my hair except for right before washing it. I get a lot of lint and fuzzies if I do, and then my hair is harder to comb. If I do oil it, I either use a horn or a metal hair stick/fork.

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Hm...maybe I'll play it safe and avoid oil if i'm wearing it with an expensive toy.

I think I need more moisture. I should try conditioner-only. I haven't yet for some reason, but worst that could happen is my hair isn't very clean. :lol: not sure why I'm afraid of it.

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Come to think of it though, if coconut oil can damage a ficcare then I should be much more worried about my leave-in conditioner, which contains oils and other things as well. Though like the coconut oil, it's pretty much all absorbed by morning, even though my hair is still slightly damp when I get up in the morning and put it up for the day.

lmfbs
March 18th, 2013, 06:45 PM
The only thing I would be worried about is unsealed wood or horn/bone. Metal, well sealed or oiled wood should be totally fine. I do it all the time.

puddums
March 18th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I have put my Ficcares in my damp hair oodles of times and they have suffered no ill effects. Not sure that I have tried it with oil though, but I can't see it making much of difference since, as you said, I've used it with leave in (which contains oils).

I should mention, however, that my Ficcares are all the old style ones. I don't own any of the new acetate ones, so I'm not sure how they hold up in damp hair. I have heard rumours that they aren't supposed to get wet, so I might hold off on it if you own one of those.

dwell_in_safety
March 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I actually use jojoba oil to moisturize my wood combs and hair sticks when they start looking a little dull. Haha. No harm ever done. The only thing I won't do is put up damp hair with a wooden toy.

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I have put my Ficcares in my damp hair oodles of times and they have suffered no ill effects. Not sure that I have tried it with oil though, but I can't see it making much of difference since, as you said, I've used it with leave in (which contains oils).

I should mention, however, that my Ficcares are all the old style ones. I don't own any of the new acetate ones, so I'm not sure how they hold up in damp hair. I have heard rumours that they aren't supposed to get wet, so I might hold off on it if you own one of those.

Oh, no acetates here. Pretty as they are I can't see shelling out $40+ for something I gotta be afraid of rain in. I just don't get it. Why not use waterproof plastic, or make them waterproof? If my $3 grocery store plastic clip can be worn in the shower, why can't they manage to waterproof the $40 one?

Natalia
March 18th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I usually forget to oil post wash so more often i do it before i put it up for the day. I use mostly acrylic and no damage to be seen yet. With wood it would condition it which is a benefit not a drawback. Metal it depends what kind it is but in general it will tarnish it over time.

Mandie
March 18th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I use oil more than I use hairspray anymore. It makes my hair so much tamer.

truepeacenik
March 31st, 2013, 03:19 PM
That's what i'm thinking, would it hurt my ficcares if my hair soaks up most of the oil? I never planned to marinate my toys :lol:

I used two ficcares with oiled and/or damp hair. Both developed spots on the edge, and one lost some enamel. (Sniff)
My non enamel one has some spots, but they don't show in use.

So, with enamel, proceed with caution.
Barely damp and likely to dry? (Unlike mine) probably OK.

karenpetal
March 31st, 2013, 03:23 PM
I oil my hair before putting it up too. Use coconut oil with little scent - helps me get a sleek look with out using hairspray.
Also I do oil my ends when wearing a ponytail. Freshly washed hair I usually dont oil - i know i probably should but like the bounce - oil takes away the bounce though -

karenpetal
March 31st, 2013, 03:24 PM
I oil my hair before putting it up too. Use coconut oil with little scent - helps me get a sleek look with out using hairspray.
Also I do oil my ends when wearing a ponytail. Freshly washed hair I usually dont oil - i know i probably should but like the bounce - oil takes away the bounce though -

jacqueline101
March 31st, 2013, 04:32 PM
I don't know about the toys but I oil mine daily and wear it up.

thankyousir74
March 31st, 2013, 04:35 PM
I oil before bedtime, but maybe I should start oiling after a wash now, I'm always happy to experiment with my hair regimen!

rock007junkie
March 31st, 2013, 05:30 PM
The ficcares will be fine. My hair is always oiled and my toys are fine. I especifically use the ficcares when I do heavy oilings. I just clean them afterwards and they are back to normal.

Kaelee
March 31st, 2013, 05:45 PM
The ficcares will be fine. My hair is always oiled and my toys are fine. I especifically use the ficcares when I do heavy oilings. I just clean them afterwards and they are back to normal.

Good to know. Thanks!