PDA

View Full Version : Delighted to get to BSL

Unicorn
March 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I've been meaning to post this for some time, but I've only just got around to it!

At the 6 years mark of growing my hair/locs I discovered that I'd finally got to BSL :happydance: I only take length pics once a year at the anniversary of starting my locs, so it took me rather by surprise. I also discovered that I now have what I would describe as 'long hair', based on the pics. Though it doesn't feel that long on a day to day basis :)

I've rounded up my annual photos and now have them in the album, (link below) if anyone is interested...

Here's my pic. The black string marks the lower edge of the bra strap. I know it's my 2012 pic :oops: my 2013 picture update is in May. Having finally pulled my pictures together, I've been somewhat surprised at the progress, so I just had to post.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3242&d=1363301870

I'm working towards a Gru inspired hem line. I've a way to go yet, but it's closer than I realised. :)

Unicorn

Crysta
March 17th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Gratz! You hair looks wonderful, so full and healthy.

cathair
March 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM
A long wait, but worth it. Your hair is beautiful :) Just had a look at your album, your growth been faster between 2011 and 2012 than all the other years. You must be very pleased :)

lapushka
March 17th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Congratulations! Your hair looks wonderful, and looking at your sig, you've made such great progress! :D :thumbsup:

Unicorn
March 17th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Gratz! You hair looks wonderful, so full and healthy.

Thank you Crysta

A long wait, but worth it. Your hair is beautiful :) Just had a look at your album, your growth been faster between 2011 and 2012 than all the other years. You must be very pleased :)

Thanks Cathair For the first few years, the hair condenses which eats up a lot of the growth, plus I trimmed from time to time to deal with the worst of my raggedy hemline :o My raggedy hem line was the main reason I didn't look at it too often as I'm sure I'd have constantly taken the scissors to it :eek: I didn't trust anyone else to trim it, so I had to wait until it was long enough for me to do it myself...

Congratulations! Your hair looks wonderful, and looking at your sig, you've made such great progress! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you Lapushka

Unicorn

mzBANGBANG
March 17th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Wow, so beautiful. You look not far off from waist, too.

Kaelee
March 17th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Awesome!!! I'm *almost* there myself! I don't know if it counts quite yet though. Another month or two...

I love your beautiful dreads (or are they braids?) Well cared for dreads are one of my favorite hairstyles!

Unicorn
March 17th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Thank you mzBANGBANG. I'm about 3" from waist. I've a long neck and a long body, so I knew it would take a while :) Actually I see we're at a similar length, I measured at 28"

Thank you Kaelee, it's rather lovely to hit the BSL milestone, you'll be there before you know it. Mine are dreads, really tiny ones.

Unicorn

Yozhik
March 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM
What beautiful hair, Unicorn! Congratulations on this milestone!!!

I really like your hemline as is. :)

Kaelee
March 17th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Thank you mzBANGBANG. I'm about 3" from waist. I've a long neck and a long body, so I knew it would take a while :) Actually I see we're at a similar length, I measured at 28"

Thank you Kaelee, it's rather lovely to hit the BSL milestone, you'll be there before you know it. Mine are dreads, really tiny ones.

Unicorn

They're completely lovely!!! I hear dreads take a LOT of work (the really nice ones, anyway.) and I'm lazy, also I'm sure I would regret if if I locked my hair, but I have thought about it and certainly admire it on others!

Wildcat Diva
March 17th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Lovely hair and a great milestone!

Naiadryade
March 17th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Congratulations! I also recently reached BSL, and I'm having the same experience of it not feeling very long in day-to-day life, but when I see it in pictures or mirrors, it looks sort of long to me. At least, not short anymore.

Your hair is absolutely stunning. I know a bunch of people with dreads, but no one with dreads that small! Does it take a lot of dedication to keep them that way? I can't wait for your 2013 photo!

ETA: You should change your sig to show off your incredible progress!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 18th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Your hair is wonderful - but how do you manage to ONLY take one length pic per year?!!! For sure I couldn't do that!

jojo
March 18th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Your hair looks beautiful and full, well done you!

Unicorn
March 18th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Thank you Yozhik, I'm hoping to take it to a slightly softer 'U' shape.

Kaelee, the method I use does take quite a bit of maintenance, but it can be done in lots of short sessions. I get quite fidgety when I'm sitting still, so I do it when I'm watching TV, reading or on the computer. I love the fact that I can do the maintenance whenever I feel fidgety, as opposed to having to schedule it into a specific time. I thought long and hard about having them for about 1 1/2 years before I finally took the plunge...

Thank you Wildcat Diva. My next milestone is waist. :D

Thank you Naiadryade, you are so right! when I catch it in the mirror it just "no longer short", in the pic it looks "long" to my eyes. I suppose it's mainly the difference in what we're used to seeing. :) It does take some dedication, but as I replied to Kaelee, at least I can do it while doing other things, so it doesn't take time out of my day. The first two years were the hardest, after that it was less work.

Oh, I took your advice about the sig. TY

Thanks Sarahlabyrinth, Not taking pics was the only way I could stop myself going at them with the scissors ;) I really didn't like the raggedy hemline and reminding myself of it made me want to even it up, that would have been a disaster as it took around two years for my locs to settle into their condensed state. I understand that anything from 6 months to 3 years is quite normal depending on the hair and method used to loc. It once took me 5 years to go from pixie to brushing shoulders because whenever I had a bad hair day (i.e. a windy day) I came home and chopped it all off. I really didn't want to do that with my locs.

Thank you Jojo

Unicorn

MrsGuther
March 18th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Congrats on reaching BSL! You have very pretty hair. I like it a lot. :)

WaitingSoLong
March 18th, 2013, 07:01 AM
WOWEE can we trade hair????

Unicorn I am stunned at your progress! Just so lovely!

starry
March 18th, 2013, 07:20 AM
great to see such a unique and well cared for style! Im closish at collar bone now- this thread reminds me of how cool it is to be patient rather than just wanting to be there already- you are an inspiration :)

palaeoqueen
March 18th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Your hair is really beautiful, very small dreads and braids are among my favourite hair styles.

MintChocChip
March 18th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Lovely hair! Well done! :D

jacqueline101
March 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Congrats your hair looks great.

PraiseCheeses
March 18th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Oh, my! :thud: Your hair is beautiful. Congratulations on reaching this milestone!

Have to say, after enjoying many well-said thoughtful posts from you and repeatedly seeing your signature pictures from several years ago, it's thrilling to see this update thread! :)

Alexblue
March 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Your hair is gorgeous. And the small dreads fall so nicely.

I remember when I had chin length hair, I thought BSL was sooooo long. Now at BSL, I can't wait till waist. It's only starting to feel long now :D

Unicorn
March 18th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Thank you MrsGuther Your gorgeous TBL hair seems very much out of reach for me right now :)

Isn't it funny how we are amazed at our opposites WaitingSoLong? I still slow down on threads to admire your amazing hair. :D Thank you for the compliment. *hmmm, how to arrange a swop of hair*

Thanks Starry it really is worth the patience. Benign neglect makes it quite a bit easier, I look forward to you progress. Though I have looked at the hair trimming scissors rather longingly many a time, I'm glad I resisted. Just keep reminding yourself of the long term goal if you get difficult days.

Thank you Palaeoqueen, It was wearing tiny braids for a while that persuaded me to loc my hair. I find it much easier to care for in many ways than when I had loose hair, as I am in fact rather lazy about doing things with my hair.

Thanks MintChocChip and Jacqueline :)

Thanks PraiseCheeses. Being a member here, seeing all the gorgeous hair and the progress made by so many, has helped me so much to be patient and to keep taking care of my hair, even on the days when I didn't like it at all. Plus so much knowledge that I've been able to apply, which really has helped. It's good to know that my posts have added to the board in some way. :flowers:

Alexblue, thank you, I know exactly how you feel on the length :D It doesn't feel that long ago that BSL seemed like a pipe dream. Now... waist here we come!

Unicorn

Helix
March 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Congrats! I know it takes longer for sisterlocs to accumulate length than loose hair but your patience really paid off. Your hair looks beautiful!

neko_kawaii
March 18th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I have long admired your hair and the wisdom in your posts. Congratulations on reaching BSL!

leslissocool
March 18th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I absolutely LOVE your hair! Congrats, such a great color and look, and so thick!

Unicorn
March 18th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks Helix, the first three years felt as if there was almost no growth, but it increased in volume quite a lot.

Thank you Neko_kawaii, that's so kind of you on both counts.

Thanks Leslissocool :)

Unicorn

shutterpillar
March 18th, 2013, 06:53 PM
What beautiful hair! I very much admire yours locs! They are gorgeous. :)

ArwenUndomiel
March 18th, 2013, 07:05 PM
i was at BSL for a long time because I kept trimming my hair (Feye's method) every 2-3 months. I left it untrimmed for about 4 months and now I am 2 inches from waist.

Rhoward
March 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM
So beautiful, congrats :blossom:

KittyBird
March 19th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Great progress and congrats on reaching BSL! I thought those were braids, but they're actually dreads? That is so awesome! :D

Unicorn
March 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks you Shutterpillar and Rhoward.

The scissors seem to be both friend and enemy when growing hair ArwenUndomie, :) I'm glad you've managed to resist them long enough to get more length.

Thank you KittyBird people often think they're braids until they get closer to them, because they are so thin.

Unicorn