PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for thick and coarse apl hair?

cooklaezo13
March 17th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I know there are so many threads on this forum like this, asking for hairstyle advice for apl hair. My hair is long enough to get caught on things and get in the way all the time. I need to put it up. Because of the weight and thickness of my hair, high ponytails give me headaches, and are not very protective anyways. I'm getting tired of wearing my hair in a french or dutch braid every day, and starting to get damage from where I tie off the braid. I used to love to wear my hair in a gibson tuck when my hair was shorter. Now there is just way too much hair to get inside the tuck.
I'm starting to get frustrated because I've spent so much time on youtube looking at videos for hairstyles. None of the hairstyles in the videos work on my hair, no matter how much I practice it, because my hair is so much thicker than the hair in the video. Not only that, but my individual strands are coarse, which makes my hair not very supple and flexible (those with coarse hair will understand what I mean). I was just watching a video where a woman braids her apl hair, then winds it into a really cute side bun. I could make four or five braids in my hair, the thickness of her one braid with all her hair in it.

Sorry for the rant. I actually love my thick hair, just really struggling right now.

Can someone point me to tutorials or videos of thick apl or just-past apl hair?

Thank you!

Sharysa
March 18th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I have no tutorials at the ready, but I have found quite a few hairstyles to rotate throughout my week.

One of my favorites is a bohemian knot--you just split your hair in half at the nape, twist the sections around each other, and then tie the ends back up at the nape of your neck. Different look than a bun, and well suited for coarse hair. I use this about half the time.

And since you can French/Dutch braid, maybe you can try doing a tucked or bunned French braid? You just braid to the nape of your neck and then either tuck the tail underneath the bottom of it (for the tucked braid) or just wrap it around and bun it.

cooklaezo13
March 19th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the bohemian knot. The tucked dutch/french braid doesn't work for me, as the tassel of my braid is very thick, short and blunt.

2peasinapod
March 19th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I have the same type of hair as you. My favourite hairstyle at this length is the Cheater's Hairstick bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25145). It is comfortable, secure, and makes you look like you have a lot more hair than you do. :)