PDA

View Full Version : Why would well oiled non split ends feel dry and tangly?

jacqueline101
March 17th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Why would my ends feel dry and tangly after I oil them? When I check my ends they aren't damaged. I clarified and thought that and a different wash style would work. I normally wash in the basin. I stood up right in the shower and noticed when my hair dries same issue.

Vintagecoilylocks
March 17th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Why would my ends feel dry and tangly after I oil them? When I check my ends they aren't damaged. I clarified and thought that and a different wash style would work. I normally wash in the basin. I stood up right in the shower and noticed when my hair dries same issue.

Oil seals in moisture so you need to make sure you are getting extra moisture in before oiling.. I have had the same issues. experiment with different moisture based conditoners as leave ins before applying your oil. Coconut oil imparts a certain amount of moisture but is not enought for my ends to stay supple. Get that oil on as soon as possiple to hold in the moisture. add moisture between wash days and then your oil.

ravenreed
March 17th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I get that from certain oils, such as coconut or olive oil. I never get it from argan oil. It may also be a symptom of too much protein. HTH!

Alexblue
March 17th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I have the same issue at the moment. Keen to see what people say :popcorn:

door72067
March 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM
coconut oil will do that to my hair...protein overlaod

jacqueline101
March 17th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I did your advice I tried some leave in conditioner and then a bit of mineral oil my hair feels great.

spidermom
March 17th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Coconut oil does not contain protein, only essential fatty acids.

lmfbs
March 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I get that dry tangly thing going on if I use products with protein, but it could just be your hair needing to be clarified.

goldloli
March 17th, 2013, 10:17 PM
yup yup!

I was gonna say that i experience this from fatty type oils. if the problem isnt corrected from clarifying or correct moisture sealing it could be those oils no longer work for you for some reason. Anyway u seem to have resolved the issue from vintage's suggestion so enjoy :)

Naiadryade
March 17th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Oil seals in moisture so you need to make sure you are getting extra moisture in before oiling.. I have had the same issues. experiment with different moisture based conditoners as leave ins before applying your oil. Coconut oil imparts a certain amount of moisture but is not enought for my ends to stay supple. Get that oil on as soon as possiple to hold in the moisture. add moisture between wash days and then your oil.

Thank you so much for this very clear explanation! So much makes sense now. I'm going to follow this advice too.

palaeoqueen
March 18th, 2013, 05:32 AM

Yes but I read somewhere that it inhibits protein loss hence why it can lead to protein overload despite not actually containing any protein.

door72067
March 18th, 2013, 06:42 AM

oh...I thought I'd been reading here that it was a protein

well, whatever it is...it makes my hair very dry and tangly

redtuss
March 21st, 2013, 05:46 AM
My hair does the same at times, Jacueline, and less protein and oiling only when wet helped a lot actually. :)
Do you have a good conditioner for moisture? You can also try and mix the oil with aloe vera gel when applying it to the ends.