PDA

View Full Version : Rants

ZenaZoo
March 17th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I'm sorry I just must vent. I'm sick of seeing hundreds of heads of hair completely fried. I was stood in a queue earlier and this young girls hair was straightened to within an Inch of its life. Bleached white.

I could cope with seeing that but she had a hand bag over shoulder and it was caught on her hair slightly. Next thing to happen almost made me sick.

Her bag was caught slightly and she pulled it to get into get bag. Her hair literally just broke off and fell lifelessly to the floor. She then ran her fingers through the mess and felt something odd. (The missing chunk of hair) she looked down and just stopped. She did the same to her hair with the other side when she put her bag there from previous.

i didn't notice to start with but her pale grey t-shirt was actually dark grey and was looked paler because of all her broken off hair.

All of this aside I saw her later on with a very short pixie looking rather upset.

has anyone else seen it this bad? It was horrific!

besides the point slightly... My super super slippy hair is driving me nuts. I can't get anything to stay in. Not even a simply low pony. Any advice?
Thanks in advance guys =)

Kyla
March 17th, 2013, 03:23 PM
That poor girl. :(

For your slippery hair you might want to try spin pins, a lot of people have luck with them.

chen bao jun
March 17th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Yes, I have. usually when I see a blond bleached white there is hair all over the shirt or coat. that's the price you pay.
Cheer up, though. Young girls try these things out. I bet she won't do THAT again (now that she has the involuntary pixie)--though she might not take care of her hair by LHC standards after this. My mom sat by and cried while I wore an afro 70's style for six years. Fourteen inches of hair broke off without being cut. All that teasing )we called it 'picking', the exposed ends and I used to spritz water on it to keep it dry and frizzy so that it would stay up. Guess what? Once I saw what happened, I never did that again. Wild horses couldn't get me to do that again, in fact, and I cringe when I see people with them nowadays (everything 70's is back, apparently).
I expect she knows that bleaching is bad and that many people warned her. what bothers me is the hair care practices that people aren't warned about and the treatments they are even told are 'healthy' when it is the opposite.

kaydana
March 17th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Oh gosh. I feel so sorry for that poor girl. I'd be absolutely devastated if anything like that happened to my hair, even if the damage was entirely my fault.

faellen
March 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't worry too much, I used to do all sorts to my hair! Young girls do experiment with different styles, bleach, over heat styling etc. At the end of the day, hair grows back :)

UltraBella
March 17th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't get too upset over other people's hair - many people make hair choices that LHCers won't condone but it's not really our place to expect others to live up to our standards. The young lady with the damaged hair will learn a valuable lesson, if she wants to.

kidari
March 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I agree that a part of learning is through trial and error and experience. It's fun to try different cuts and colors and textures, no matter what. We can all look back at a memory of a perm that made you look like a poodle or a hair color that washed you out and laugh about it later. However, I only feel sorry for her if she is clueless and miserable. If she wants to have long healthy hair but doesn't understand that the things she is doing to it is preventing her from gaining progress and she is really upset about it then that is sad.

ravenreed
March 17th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Me too, and I never regretted a second of it. It was all fun and experimentation. It was partly because of my experimental streak and willingness to do unusual things to my hair that I even found LHC. :p

I wouldn't worry too much, I used to do all sorts to my hair! Young girls do experiment with different styles, bleach, over heat styling etc. At the end of the day, hair grows back :)

spidermom
March 17th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I remember seeing a woman at a distance some years ago. It looked like she was wearing a fringed white shawl with an open crochet pattern from a distance, but up close I realized that it was her bleached-white hair. She had chunks that apparently had broken off, leaving her with very chunky, uneven length. Either that or she had the worst layered haircut in the history of the world. But maybe she liked it; who knows.

ZenaZoo
March 17th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah I've cut my hair and coloured it all rainbow. But this was vile. How could she not feel or see that it was just.... I can't even find words. I hope I don't get nightmares now lol

RavenBaby
March 17th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Yes, I have. usually when I see a blond bleached white there is hair all over the shirt or coat. that's the price you pay.
Cheer up, though. Young girls try these things out. I bet she won't do THAT again (now that she has the involuntary pixie)--though she might not take care of her hair by LHC standards after this. My mom sat by and cried while I wore an afro 70's style for six years. Fourteen inches of hair broke off without being cut. All that teasing )we called it 'picking', the exposed ends and I used to spritz water on it to keep it dry and frizzy so that it would stay up. Guess what? Once I saw what happened, I never did that again. Wild horses couldn't get me to do that again, in fact, and I cringe when I see people with them nowadays (everything 70's is back, apparently).
I expect she knows that bleaching is bad and that many people warned her. what bothers me is the hair care practices that people aren't warned about and the treatments they are even told are 'healthy' when it is the opposite.

I was never warned when I asked to go blonde, I wish the hairdresser at least tried to find out my hair's history because I doubt she knew about my daily straightening, blow drying, dyed 3 times with perm. dye and use of colour removal products like colour b4 twice. After the bleaching my hair was a wreck.

battles
March 17th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Why are you so upset over the way someone else looks?

jeanniet
March 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I don't like the look or feel of my hair when it's that damaged or dried out, so I don't do things to it that will cause it, but if someone else wants a certain look, then it's certainly their hair and their choice. People learn from experience, and if they don't, it's because they still want the look. I don't see how that's vile. As long as I'm not forced into it, and I'm not, then their hair, and how much they damage it, is still their business.

jacqueline101
March 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM
A lot of people live their lives with damaged hair. It's their choice to have their hair that way maybe the woman with bad hair will learn like Ultrabella stated.

jessa
March 17th, 2013, 06:48 PM
my hair was almost at that stage. I think I found LHC just in time.

Freckled.Thing
March 17th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I understand your reaction, but it's not our place to judge anyone else's hair choices. It's her head, she can do what she wants with it, even if it's not something you or I would do. Moreover, it's possible that she has a medical condition contributing to the situation. You shouldn't judge if you don't know all the details.

lmfbs
March 17th, 2013, 09:30 PM
You literally know NOTHING about her. Being judgmental of another's appearance is more a reflection on you than them.

It makes me really sad to read things like this.

minxe
March 17th, 2013, 10:09 PM
It's. Not. Your. Hair.

goldloli
March 17th, 2013, 10:09 PM
My bag straps catch on my hair all the time yet it's long and shiny with no visible damage... Umad?

Ultra judgmental thread, sure you added the concern about her losing the chunk of hair but 'I'm sorry I just must vent. I'm sick of seeing hundreds of heads of hair completely fried. I was stood in a queue earlier and this young girls hair was straightened to within an Inch of its life. Bleached white.

I could cope with seeing that but she had a hand bag over shoulder and it was caught on her hair slightly.' is like wayy opinionated and rude. It's other peoples hair and other peoples aesthetic goal, tastes and choice... Frankly it's none of your business what you can 'cope' with seeing on other people. Hey I don't wanna freak you out or anything, but there are totally people who don't like long or natural hair.... OMG I know right it's cray! To think people out there would beach and wear short hair D: What are they thinking, they should conform to your tastes and approval so you don't write messages about them and almost vomit.

kme81
March 18th, 2013, 12:29 AM
:soapbox: A quick aside:
What is with all the commenters complaining about the OP being judgmental? She was telling a hair care forum about how sad she was to see someone with super damaged hair, and later said that she too has had super damaged hair. Stop being judgmental by calling a rant judgmental. Maybe you will call me a hypocrite for saying this, but lets keep things nice here. Rants, by nature, are something people do to let off steam, don't presume to judge a rant. Please.
Sorry about that, just my:twocents:.

It makes me kinda sad to see hair damaged as well. :shrug: Judge me.

...wow, I guess I was feeling snarky tonight.

lmfbs
March 18th, 2013, 01:07 AM
What is with all the commenters complaining about the OP being judgmental? She was telling a hair care forum about how sad she was to see someone with super damaged hair, and later said that she too has had super damaged hair. Stop being judgmental by calling a rant judgmental. Maybe you will call me a hypocrite for saying this, but lets keep things nice here. Rants, by nature, are something people do to let off steam, don't presume to judge a rant. Please.

The difference is you've got a person describing someone else as 'vile', nightmare inducing, and saying that they could 'cope' with seeing some damage, but something 'almost made me sick'.

Describing it in these sorts of terms IS judgmental. Being sad that someone doesn't share your views is one thing, describing them in the way she did is something else. One of the wonderful things about living in our world is we're not all the same, and one of the more disgusting things about it is that some people have no tolerance for difference.

ZenaZoo
March 18th, 2013, 03:35 AM
My god. I don't think some of you guys are taking this the wrong way? In not judging anyone. I was describing how I feel. The young girl can do what she likes. Why is it on all forums. No one is entitled to an opinion without 90% of the rest jumping on your every word?

Some people may have issues with being sociable and turn to forums for a small vent with their own personal views.
There are threads on here for various subjects and is that a problem? You don't jump on them and say your views and feelings aren't welcome because they are different to yours.

Perhaps I was wrong about this forum..

ZenaZoo
March 18th, 2013, 03:36 AM
No doubt ill be slated for replying with reason. I await your replies later on

Thanks..

Suze2012
March 18th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Oh gawd!

It was only a rant/vent!

I have them myself sometimes too.

Maybe it was a little harshly worded...(rants/vents are and can be) but I believe that if a genie had come along and allowed the OP to take that girl to one side and teach her, show her, help her then she would have done exactly that.

There's a woman at work who is a frizzball ( I feel bad for typing that) and she jokes about it all the time, day in day out.
I can't shove my learnings down her throat but if she ever does ask me anything I'll be there as much as she wants.

Same as in another thread on here - which is worded differently but similar in thought - the American thread..
One phrase in their springs to mind 'the teacher will come when the student is ready'

I do wish however that someone had sat me down and told me when I used to walk around a frazzled, dyed frizzball. but then I don't take how my hair looks that personally - i just had no clue what to do with it! Lol!
An acquantance (now a good friend) friend once grabbed my hair, saw splits and said 'you need a cut'.
I did....I went and got one.. :)

...and actually that was the start of me getting trims again and starting to tr and look after my hair better..and is one of many things that led me here to LHC.

WaitingSoLong
March 18th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I didn't know being "tolerant" of other people's choices and differences meant you had to LIKE THEM. Having and opinion and being judgmental are two different things. I knew as soon as I read the OP she would get flamed. Someone could easily say: how about YOU keep YOUR opinion about her post to yourself and stop being judgmental of HER? Seems it is OK to be judgmental about the OP doesn't it. See how it goes round?

What happened to live and let live? If you don't like what someone writes on here, move on to the next post! WALKING AWAY is perfectly acceptable.

kidari
March 18th, 2013, 05:29 AM
I feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, including the ones who harshly viewed yours. Although I do agree with yours. Mostly I think it's sad that our society has pretty much created a social norm where women constantly fry and damage their hair and they are mostly oblivious victims to horrible hair that the keep spending time and money on. On average a woman with shorter, colored hair will spend so much money, time, and effort on her hair whereas someone with long natural hair will spend far less time on it yet society views the woman with shorter, dyed, heat-styled hair as put-together and responsible whereas the woman with long hair might be viewed as vain (she spends so much effort and time on her long hair) or a hippie or something with a more negative connotation.

WaitingSoLong
March 18th, 2013, 05:33 AM
On average a woman with shorter, colored hair will spend so much money, time, and effort on her hair whereas someone with long natural hair will spend far less time on it yet society views the woman with shorter, dyed, heat-styled hair as put-together and responsible whereas the woman with long hair might be viewed as vain (she spends so much effort and time on her long hair) or a hippie or something with a more negative connotation.

Oh my gosh, do people in general really think long-haired folk are VAIN? Really? This never occurred to me....

Suze2012
March 18th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Oh my gosh, do people in general really think long-haired folk are VAIN? Really? This never occurred to me....

I was just about to quote that exact same section which you quoted...

I'm on a dating site which has a forum (am now dating though) but I stick around for the forums.
Yes absolutely people do think long hair is vain.
I can't remember the times I've been called vain and also high maintenance for having long hair.

I posted up a thread once about what would a guy think if I went on a date and my hair was still a little wet from air drying....I was pretty much slated! Lol!
I was told it was disrespectful, vain, high maint, ugly, unkempt, disorganised...allsorts!

KittyBird
March 18th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Live and let live. If people want to fry their hair with bleach and heat styling, then let them. It's their choice after all. I don't get upset when I see people mistreating their hair, but I can understand that others may. I do think that most of us would be at least bit shocked/disgusted if we saw someone who accidentally ripped out chunks of their hair and had broken strands all over their clothes.

I think OP has a right to an opinion, and regardless of what's written, there will always be someone who thinks it's judgemental and nasty. It's impossible to please everyone. I agree with WSL, if you don't like the post, just walk away. Nobody forces you to click on the thread and read it. I have plenty of threads that I avoid because I don't agree with what's written there. Instead of going in and starting an argument, I just ignore it and move on to something I enjoy.

WaitingSoLong
March 18th, 2013, 06:07 AM

I'm on a dating site which has a forum (am now dating though) but I stick around for the forums.
I can't remember the times I've been called vain and also high maintenance for having long hair.

I posted up a thread once about what would a guy think if I went on a date and my hair was still a little wet from air drying....I was pretty much slated! Lol!
I was told it was disrespectful, vain, high maint, ugly, unkempt, disorganised...allsorts!

WOW????
I don't recall thinking that about long hair before I had it....
I DO remember thinking long hair must be a lot of work and shampoo, but vanity never occurred to me, UNKEMPT? DISORGANIZED? DO people think AT ALL before saying things like this??? Ok now I am just angry because the opposite is actually the truth! Not about vanity (anyone can be vain) but about the upkeep/maintenance issues.

Suze2012
March 18th, 2013, 06:38 AM
WOW????
I don't recall thinking that about long hair before I had it....
I DO remember thinking long hair must be a lot of work and shampoo, but vanity never occurred to me, UNKEMPT? DISORGANIZED? DO people think AT ALL before saying things like this??? Ok now I am just angry because the opposite is actually the truth! Not about vanity (anyone can be vain) but about the upkeep/maintenance issues.

All of the last comments there including unkempt and disorganised were just down to if I had turned up for a date with my hair still a bit damp....the theory was that this was all also disrespectful to said 'date' because I hadn't had blown my hair dry before meeting (in the scenario I wrote about).
i was just curious as to what a man might think if I turned up and my hair wasn't yet dry.
from the commenst nd personal mails sent to me at the time it was a very wrong thing to do.

I found it quite shocking that they had such strong thoughts and feelings about it to be honest.

ZenaZoo
March 18th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I do thank you for understanding where I'm coming from, I had no intention on judging anyone. Just to view my feeling as many others have on here and had no problems. Many people put quite personal things on here. some quite distressing stories. but noone jumps on them and More than likely other people have looked at my hair and thought they didn't like it for whatever reason. I don't mind what people think. Or if they judge me but its not what I was getting at. Hmmm :doh:

WaitingSoLong
March 18th, 2013, 07:46 AM
All of the last comments there including unkempt and disorganised were just down to if I had turned up for a date with my hair still a bit damp....the theory was that this was all also disrespectful to said 'date' because I hadn't had blown my hair dry before meeting (in the scenario I wrote about).
i was just curious as to what a man might think if I turned up and my hair wasn't yet dry.
from the commenst nd personal mails sent to me at the time it was a very wrong thing to do.

I found it quite shocking that they had such strong thoughts and feelings about it to be honest.

Hmm, well I supposed there is a certain etiquette to be maintained, like for job interviews, however I am a fan of being yourself when it comes to personal relationships. Why start the whole thing out as a fake?

But the comments don't seem as harsh in this perspective. Actually, they make sense, as damp hair is seen as not having had enough time to properly dry it before leaving, which could indicate you are too disorganized to plan your time. But jumping to such conclusions based on ONE FACT (damp hair) is a bit...unreasonable.

piffyanne
March 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM

If I were a guy, I'd probably be pleased to know she is clean. :shrug: It's really funny how society ideas have changed, in the 20's, a woman bobbing her hair was tantamount to admitting she was no longer a virgin. Now, sometimes I get the feeling long hair like they had then is considered deviant behavior, or something. :taz:

jeanniet
March 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM
To me it's all about word choice. I don't care if someone doesn't like my long hair, but I'd hate to think someone would actually call it vile. One is opinion, but the other is, yes, judgmental. If I wouldn't want to be called it myself, then I don't want to use the same words to describe someone else.

Malibu Barbie
March 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I just want to throw this out there, "Hair extensions" this happens when some women need to get new ones. I used to see it all the time.

Unofficial_Rose
March 18th, 2013, 03:05 PM

Yes, there seems to be a bit of judging going on with respect to the judging!

Also, if you do see someone with fried hair, please bear in mind they may have been given something different from what they asked for at the hairdresser. In my highlighted days I had a couple of occasions where I had gone in for highlights and have them go mad with the bleach and ruin my hair. Actually on one occasion it fell apart whilst wet in the salon after their colouring 'services'.

Having said that, I sometimes look at very bleached hair and think "that girl could do with some toner".

jojo
March 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I really dont care what others do to their hair, we all have choices and its not my place to criticise other people's choices. I am not perfect and neither are any of us, live and let live is my motto, she isn't hurting anybody so why let it better you?

EtherealDoll
March 18th, 2013, 03:12 PM
It's her hair, and if she wants to experiment with it, then I doubt something would stop her. She'll figure out what works for her sooner or later.

Most probably he might think it was raining :hmm: