PDA

View Full Version : Buns suitable for moonfork + general bun problem

Mononoke
March 17th, 2013, 08:18 AM
First of all, I recently got a moonfork, but most of the time it doesn't hold my hair tightly enough, and if I do a tighter bun it just wouldn't pass through the hair. Sometimes I do manage to make it hold well, usually in a cinnabun or a lazy wrap bun. Could anyone suggest other moonfork-friendly buns or general tips to make it hold?

Also, ever since my hair grew past waist length it's really hard for me to make buns which wouldn't pull small strands of hair. It doesn't matter if I make them tighter, less tight, twist more, twist less, change the position on the scalp... The strands that are usually painfully pulled are those on the upper back of the scalp, when the bun is slightly under it. My hair is not really heavy though (it's fine i/ii). Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks!

afu
March 17th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I've had a moon for a while now but never wear it because i can't get a bun to hold with it unless it's so tight it hurts! Best I've managed is in a cinnabun but even that fell out half way through a dog walk!

neko_kawaii
March 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
My experience with getting buns to stay and be comfortable is that it just takes practice. I'll pick a bun I want to learn and I'll put my hair up in it when I get up in the morning and when it falls out or gets uncomfortable I'll redo it and redo it until I just loose patience (or my scalp says, "No more!") and then I'll do something else like a braid for the rest of the day. The next day I'll do the same thing. By the end of the week I can usually make that bun so that it says comfortably all day. I think the adjustments are very subtle.

One thing I've noticed that I do is when I am gathering a ponytail with which to start a bun and I have got it all ready, the moment before I start wrapping or twisting I back my hand about a centimeter away from the scalp to give just a little bit of looseness.

As for which buns to use with your moon, peruse this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31061).

patienceneeded
March 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I have the same problem with my moons. I have an older Ravenscroft in Oak that I got from the swap board and then my DH made me two more (no money, but plenty of wood and a DH who's crafty). My DH-made moons are both Ash, but one is stained blue and has stars that dangle from one end. It's really pretty.

The problem is, I can't get any of them to stay in my hair reliably. My hair is F/M, iii/iv, and just past waist. Blunt cut, no layers. It's too thick for a lot of buns still. I can LWB, Cinnabun (but only with spin pins, otherwise it falls out), Pha Bun, WSL's Lazy Infinity Bun, and that's about it. I can french, dutch, and lace braid too...

Any suggestions?

Maybe I just need to spend some time playing with hairstyles over Spring Break when I have some time...

sparrowswing
March 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmtiiEoBmLc) is Torrin Paige's video showing the buns she uses for her Ravenscroft moon. I've never had one, but since I have similar problems with any wide or curved stick, I imagine I'd have trouble finding a bun that really worked. I wish you all luck.

Do your buns still pull if you use braids? Sometimes I can't get a normal bun to work and have to braid before bunning.

dulce
March 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM
For me,the only way I can make it really secure is to do a pony with an elastic,then do my regular lazywrap bun,use a few spin pins on the very edge of the bun to secure the bun and just put the moon fork gently through,away from the pins.I've seen Torrin's video but just can't get it to work like she does yet.Now am struggling to figure out Larks Curly Q and Squiggly forks and get them to work.I've seen the videos for them but still no luck.

Sagi1982
March 17th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I'm owning a raptor claw fork from CrockettMountainWoods (http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrockettMountainWood), the use is similar - I like to wear it in a Celtic knot or in Torrins Moon bun.
Torrin has also a vid, called "Minotaur bun" which uses a moon fork. ;)

Wildcat Diva
March 17th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I had success using a moon with a sockbun. I posted some pix a while back in the RavensCroft thread, it was in Oct 2012.
When my hair gets longer, I have a thought to use one in a nautilus (3 inch moon) or my 4 inch moons in a figure 8 bun. That is only a theory though. My hair is only APL now.

Just today I was thinking that I need to find a star hairstick, put it into a braided loop bun, then add my moon. Sigh. I think about buns a lot.

Medievalmaniac
March 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM
The moon fork works well in a figure 8 bun also, if you sort of weave it in and out from the top loop to the bottom loop. I wold definitgely check out Torrin's page -- she has wonderful ways with updos!

Mononoke
March 19th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the figure-8 bun suggestions! It holds really well with the moonfork :)