PDA

View Full Version : I found a cone in my sulfate free shampoo... what do I do

rtree721
March 16th, 2013, 02:16 PM
So I recently bought the Giovanni 2 Chic Ultra Moist shampoo and conditioner online. Well, it came in two days ago and when I was reading the back of the shampoo bottle I noticed that in the ingredients list, it said dimethicone. It doesn't look like the conditioner has any cones in it though. I am sulfate and cone free. This shampoo has no sulfates but it has a cone (not water soluble). I don't want to go through the hassle of returning something I bought online.

How can I use something with cones it when I don't have any sulfates to wash them away with?
Is it possible to use this shampoo without build up?
And who puts cones in a sulfate free shampoo?!?! << rhetorical question :p

Shampoo:
Aqua (Purified Water), Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Lauryl Glucoside, Dimethicone, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Citric Acid, Fragrance, Glycol Distearate, Polysorbate 20, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Phenoxyethanol, *Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, *Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, *Litchi (Lychee) Chinensis Fruit Extract, *Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, *Chenopodium Quinoa Flower/Leaf extract, *Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, *Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil.

Conditioner :
Aqua (Purified Water), Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Fragrance, *Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, *Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, *Litchi (Lychee) Chinensis Fruit Extract, *Oleo Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil,*Chenopodium Quinoa Flower/Leaf Extract, *Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, *Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Sodium Benzoate. USDA Certified Organic.

TheHowlingWolf
March 16th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Sorry I haven't tried the shampoo but OMG I LOVE THE CONDITIONER!!!! Hopefully you will love it too! But anyway, yeah I didn't purchase the shampoo because of the cone in it. If it doesn't build up I would love to try it....if you find it does build up, I really like the Giovanni 2chic ultra sleek shampoo! I used & it made my hair really soft and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have cones in it!

Naiadryade
March 16th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Swap board?

jacqueline101
March 16th, 2013, 06:19 PM
If you like it continue to use it.

Kaelee
March 16th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Keep using it, swap it or give it to a friend. :)

lapushka
March 16th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Either give it away, or make your next purchase a nice, clarifying shampoo that you can use once in a while.

NightOwl26
March 16th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Save it if you ever have a change of heart about cones. I have a shampoo that's sulfate free and has a cone: Macadamia rejuvenating shampoo. It's great stuff too for my hair!

lmfbs
March 16th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I can cowash with a coney conditioner for 4-6 months without buildup. Just clarify when you get buildup, it's not really a big deal.

jojo
March 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM
If you like it whats the problem? Cones aren't evil or anything, some hair does better off them!

rtree721
March 17th, 2013, 01:34 PM
If you like it whats the problem? Cones aren't evil or anything, some hair does better off them!

I am just worried that I will get build up because cones need sulfates to wash them away.

jessa
March 17th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I second suggesting to get a clarifying shampoo and just use if you find you get buildup.

bunnylake
March 17th, 2013, 08:52 PM
I am just worried that I will get build up because cones need sulfates to wash them away.

I read somewhere that this is not actually true, but I am not certain.
I used cones without sulfates for YEARS and never ever experienced a problem with build up.

Kherome
March 17th, 2013, 08:59 PM

Not really. I can use cones for months and months with no build up at all. Depends on the hair. Seems to me, as I investigated here on LHC one day, that most of the longest hairs here use cones too. The problem is people come here to LHC and somehow they get this idea that "Ack! Cones are bad!" But they aren't.

Thinthondiel
March 17th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I read somewhere that this is not actually true, but I am not certain.
I used cones without sulfates for YEARS and never ever experienced a problem with build up.

Not really. I can use cones for months and months with no build up at all. Depends on the hair. Seems to me, as I investigated here on LHC one day, that most of the longest hairs here use cones too. The problem is people come here to LHC and somehow they get this idea that "Ack! Cones are bad!" But they aren't.

I guess it's different for different people. Cones seem to build up on my hair. I got a sulphate free shampoo for Christmas and didn't think to check the ingredients list because I just assumed it didn't have cones, but it didn't take long before I got buildup and decided to check the ingredients. It had dimethicone in it. I haven't used it since, and will probably be throwing it away.

patienceneeded
March 17th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Clarify if you get buildup. Not a big deal. I have gone back and forth on whether or not to use cones, but my hair likes them so I use them. I clarify when I feel I need to. It's been about 2-3 months since I last clarified. My hair looks and feels fine, so I'm not concerned.

Lilli
March 18th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Clarify if you get buildup. Not a big deal. I have gone back and forth on whether or not to use cones, but my hair likes them so I use them. I clarify when I feel I need to. It's been about 2-3 months since I last clarified. My hair looks and feels fine, so I'm not concerned.

I agree with her. Just use it and if it becomes a problem, clarify.

imaroo
March 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM

That's true. I didn't use cones for almost three years and could never figure out why my hair wasn't looking better. Then I bought the Giovanni 2chic leave in conditioning and style elixir. I obviously didn't read the ingredients well enough because it's got dimethicone in it. Anyway, I thought this stuff was nectar of the gods or something because my hair looked so much better! Then I realized it had cones, which made me realize that maybe my hair does need them. Although, the conditioner is super stinky in my opinion.

Yes, I agree that's the best thing to try.

Nae
March 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Use it. The worst that can happen is that you might need a clarifying shampoo somewhere down the road.

I stayed away from cones for a long time because it made my hair so slippery that hairtoys wouldn't stay worth anything. Now my hair is longer and I don't have that problem so much. I use them now and then now. No big issue.

jojo
March 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Just use a clarifying shampoo when needed, it will get rid of any build up and give your hair a fresh start :)