PDA

View Full Version : 『Nice haircuts for curly hair + tips』

Luminaria
March 16th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Hi everyone! I'd like to get a haircut on the March equinox/Vernal equinox (March 20th). I heard that it's a good day for shaving/trimming/cutting hair to increase growth. My hair is an inch below shoulder length. It has many different curl patterns and hair types, but it's mostly 3c. It's more wiry/coarse/frizzy in front and silky/fine/oily in back. I want to get a haircut because it has become very difficult to manage and takes me a long time to detangle. It has tons of single strand knots and split ends (the long, multiple split kind). Ever since September, it seems to repel water and doesn't moisturize easily (hair experiments gone wrong....). Anyways, I like to get a short haircut. The length can range from super short (buzz cut) to maybe chin length. Can you give me some ideas of good haircuts for multi-textured curly hair? Some pictures of hairstyles (or websites) would be appreciated. If I don't go to a salon, I might try cutting it myself or get a family member to cut it. Do have any advice for self haircuts? What are some dos and don'ts for cutting curly hair? What kind of scissors do you use? I bought a pair of Sally Hansen stainless steel shears today (the all-metal kind). Are they good haircutting scissors? BTW, how do you do Feye's self trim on curly hair (wet or dry, stretched, etc.)? Thank you in advance! :)

Suze2012
March 16th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Do you have any piccies? It can be tough to tell from a description.

Also, what do you currently do with your hair in terms of washing and conditioning etc.?

I fought the frizz with mine so know with mine that different ways of treating it make a huge difference.

I love this lady's hair, Alex Polizi.
It always looks gorgeous.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alex+polizzi+hot&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=A1REUeipNObI0QWEkIH4Dg&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=537#imgrc=iii0uMWVNyLNJM%3A%3B-U95vo4QORQ29M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.curtisbrown .co.uk%252F_assets%252Fuploads%252Fcropped%252F231 97-square.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.curtisbrown.co .uk%252Falex-polizzi%252Fgallery%252F%3B510%3B510

Whoops..long link...

jacqueline101
March 16th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I'd suggest googling for pictures and answers to questions.

minxe
March 16th, 2013, 10:02 AM
As long as they're sharp, your scissors are just fine! I read somewhere that curlies should do Feye's sopping wet and/or heavily oiled so it lays as straight as possible and the cut can be even. :)

CurlyCap
March 16th, 2013, 11:57 AM
When my hair was shorter, layer and layers were my friend. Even cuts looked ridiculous (but are a necessary evil at some point if you want to grow your hair past shoulder). However, keep in mind that, depending on your hair type, layering removes volume. Some curly peeps enjoy big hair and are shocked at how much it goes away with layers.

I couldn't cut/trim my own hair until I was approaching BSL. So, with that in mind, I'd recommend going to a stylist with several pictures in hand.

Luminaria
March 18th, 2013, 12:16 AM
As long as they're sharp, your scissors are just fine! I read somewhere that curlies should do Feye's sopping wet and/or heavily oiled so it lays as straight as possible and the cut can be even. :) I tried soaking wet, but it's hard to grip. I never tried oiled though.

Redhead Rebel
March 18th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I was told that curly hair should be cut when its dry. If its straightened or stretched then when it goes back to curly it will probably be uneven (especially if you have different curl patterns).

Luminaria
March 19th, 2013, 02:29 AM
When my hair was shorter, layer and layers were my friend. Even cuts looked ridiculous (but are a necessary evil at some point if you want to grow your hair past shoulder). However, keep in mind that, depending on your hair type, layering removes volume. Some curly peeps enjoy big hair and are shocked at how much it goes away with layers. I couldn't cut/trim my own hair until I was approaching BSL. So, with that in mind, I'd recommend going to a stylist with several pictures in hand. Oddly enough even cuts have worked well for me. Then again the shortest I've had it was ear length.

Quixii
March 19th, 2013, 02:37 AM
I have a friend who had beautiful long curly hair, but decided she wanted a big change. So she buzzed the sides and left the top a couple inches long. And it looks awesome. Everyone was a little skeptical whether this mohawk type look she was describing to us would worth with curly hair, but it definitely does. I'm not going to post her picture here without her permission, but here's the closest thing I could find on Google: picture (http://lasthairmodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/curly-mohawk4.jpg). Her's looks better, though. :) She's been having a lot of fun with it, too, like bleaching and dyeing the longest bits various colours, and then just cutting off the damage when she's done with it. Or parting it or styling it in different ways to get totally different looks. She says it's a lot easier than her long hair, too.

Luminaria
March 20th, 2013, 01:04 AM
I have a friend who had beautiful long curly hair, but decided she wanted a big change. So she buzzed the sides and left the top a couple inches long. And it looks awesome. Everyone was a little skeptical whether this mohawk type look she was describing to us would worth with curly hair, but it definitely does. I'm not going to post her picture here without her permission, but here's the closest thing I could find on Google: picture (http://lasthairmodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/curly-mohawk4.jpg). Her's looks better, though. :) She's been having a lot of fun with it, too, like bleaching and dyeing the longest bits various colours, and then just cutting off the damage when she's done with it. Or parting it or styling it in different ways to get totally different looks. She says it's a lot easier than her long hair, too. How was it when she grew it out?