PDA

View Full Version : Combs for Long Fine Hair

UP Lisa
March 15th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I have never used either a horn or wood comb. Which would you recommend?

Thank you.

woolyleprechaun
March 15th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Horn! I like a chunky wooden comb for detangling, and a finer horn one for grooming. Id say for fine hair you may get away with just horn. I get a great sheen when I use mine, and it sort of gets polished when you've used it for a while. You have to try it :)

UP Lisa
March 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Well, I don't normally use a comb at all because it just causes too much damage - even the "seamless" ones. I'm hoping I'd have better luck with the horn or the wood. Something that didn't cause static would be great, also.

Dizzy_zzz
March 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I've only used wooden combs (other than plastic) and I like them, but it is difficult to find ones that are perfectly smooth. When you do find a good one, they don't cause static, work better than plastic at detangling, and either I'm crazy or it seems to defrizz a little. Right now, mine is made of bamboo and it can withstand water without getting damaged, so that would be a good choice if you ever use a comb on damp or wet hair. I haven't noticed any damage caused by my comb.

Either way, I'm sure they both work well, and wooden combs are cheaper so if you want to experiment with natural combs, wood might be a good idea to start with.

starry
March 15th, 2013, 01:09 PM
hey hair twin! I've had 2 horn combs and am about to try wood. I buy handmade combs from etsy. They are quite cheap. The horn ones I had have been really good- you have to make sure you inspect them for snags but I have not had any issues with either even if they have seemed sharp (or looked sharp to the eye) in a few points. I do not find them rough at all on our hair type, the other thing you must do is oil them regularly otherwise they dry out and can splinter or flake depending on whether you go wood or horn. It is best not to use either material on wet hair.

Hope this helps a little :)

Anje
March 15th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Both are nice, but I think my wood combs have been smoother than my horn ones. (Got mine at the Body Shop. Link. (http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hair-care-products/hair-brush/detangling-comb.aspx)) That said, I suspect my Tangle Teezer is easier on my hair than either.

Majala
March 15th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I'm most satisfied with my anti-static silicone comb - it's really smooth and makes detangling easy. Another comb I love is hand made of hard rubber and also completely smooth. Both of them never make my hair statistic-ky. I'm not a fan of wooden combs - I never managed to get one that was completely smooth. I've never used or even seen a horn comb, so I can't say anything on this.

UP Lisa
March 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Where did you find the silicone comb?

I'm most satisfied with my anti-static silicone comb - it's really smooth and makes detangling easy. Another comb I love is hand made of hard rubber and also completely smooth. Both of them never make my hair statistic-ky. I'm not a fan of wooden combs - I never managed to get one that was completely smooth. I've never used or even seen a horn comb, so I can't say anything on this.

UP Lisa
March 15th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I have a Tangle Teezer, but I don't trust it. I hate the noise it makes going through the hair. I think it is better on wet hair, but it really seems to kill my dry hair.

QUOTE=Anje;2407088]Both are nice, but I think my wood combs have been smoother than my horn ones. (Got mine at the Body Shop. Link. (http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hair-care-products/hair-brush/detangling-comb.aspx)) That said, I suspect my Tangle Teezer is easier on my hair than either.[/QUOTE]

Majala
March 15th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I bought it in Drogerie Markt - it's a German drugstore chain found in Europe, not sure about US.

Where did you find the silicone comb?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I have a wooden comb from the Body shop and just love it for detangling on damp or dry hair. For styling I have a wide toothed plastic comb which I have had forever and would hate to part with. I haven't tried horn combs though so can't comment on those.

UP Lisa
March 15th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Thank you all for the help. Decisions, decisions.

shakethatbelly
April 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
i have the magic star jumbo rake that i ordered from hot combs
it's great
did you decide what to get yet?

Sharysa
April 3rd, 2013, 08:19 PM
Wooden combs and horn combs have both eliminated static in my hair, and hence decreased frizz. I never had any more static after using my wood comb, and nothing changed after using my horn comb.

Plus, horn combs and wooden combs help with oiling your hair since they spread it around better than a normal plastic comb.

ladylowtide
April 3rd, 2013, 09:50 PM
I use a horn comb, and an anti-static silicone comb that I got from walgreens. It was white.