PDA

View Full Version : If you never had to leave the house...

Syaoransbear
March 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM
...what would you do with your hair? What kind of a hair routine would you have? What treatments would you do?

There's definitely a lot of hair treatments out there that may be great for your hair, but either look or smell bad and many of us wouldn't be comfortable wearing some of those concoctions out of the house. If you never had to leave your house, what would you do with your hair? What kind of things would you leave on it all the time?

I think I'd leave monistat on my scalp all the time. I never used it long enough to find out if it works because I'd always end up having to wash it off because I had to leave the house. I'd also have my hair soaked in coconut oil all the time, it really can never get enough of that stuff.

I'd also always keep my hair in my silk sleep sock for maximum protection :).

HylianGirl
March 14th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I'd probably wash much less often and keep it oiled xD

Vanille_
March 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I hardly leave the house. Sometimes it will be as long as 4 days since I washed my hair. But that is lazyness. I don't do anything special. I just put it in a bun everyday. I'm much too lazy for any sort of treatment. I tried castor oil once. Ugh. What a mess.

GrowingGlory
March 14th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I'd wash it only as needed, keep scalp and hair oiled, and comb it twice daily.

Macaroni
March 14th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Nothing would change; shampoo, ACV, conditioner every three days,
with coconut oil on the ends.
Hairstyle is a low pony or chignon.

battles
March 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I'll add assuming my boyfriend never looked at me. :p

Probably keep it oiled and bunned for as long as I could stand, detangle once a day and then put it back up. Repeat until it screams at me to wash it.

Man, my hair would be soft.

ETA: I think I'd get a silk cap, too. I couldn't deal with it at this point, but if no one looked at me then why not?

Simone_Fatale
March 14th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I'd wash less frequently, ditch my silicone heavy hair mask and resort to natural haircare products. (My flat iron would lie forgotten on the floor)

minxe
March 14th, 2013, 06:16 PM
My hair would be oil-soaked, in a bun, for as long as I could stand. Not much different from my current routine, but I think it'd make my hair a bit more manageable.

jacqueline101
March 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I'd keep my current one I like it.

QMacrocarpa
March 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM
If I never had to leave the house, I'd still leave the house all the time. Cabin-fever would have me gnawing the legs off chairs otherwise. By a happy chance, bad-smelling or otherwise icky hair treatments are against my vows of benign neglect anyway....

kidari
March 14th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I would also keep the same routine as well. I don't like stretching washes, it makes my scalp itchy and sore. Plus my husband may not appreciate 24/7 oiled hair and sleep bonnets and such.

Chromis
March 14th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I would not do anything different.

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I don't have to leave the house unless I feel like it right now (except on sunday for church). Around the house I tend to keep my silk scarf tied around my head to protect my hair and when hubby comes home, I hear his car in the driveway and whip it off.
It's just convenient to have it up (usually in french braids mimicking crown braids) and out of the way for cooking and so forth (I am the lady who once set her hair on fire cooking, remember. So no loose hair for me around a stove!) Also, I like to lie down and read a lot, and its nice to have the silk scarf on rather than worrying that my pillow or couch is rubbing my hair off.
Even when I was working though last semester, I had the same routine (SMT under hair dryer, wash, braid around my head, wrap in silk scarf basically once a week) though. It works for me and my hair is growing.

Mommyof4
March 14th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I would continue taking care of it, clarifying, oiling, conditioning, scritching, etc. But, I would only wear it down, and comb it lightly. I think my hair would really benefit if I could just let it be for a year or so. Unfortunately, my work is strict about attire, and even my hair has rules it must follow. *Whine* At home, I have to style in depending on what I'm doing the next day, as my hair refuses to look good the next morning without some type of styling.. I like braids and hairsticks for that usually.

trolleypup
March 15th, 2013, 02:46 AM
If I never had to leave the house, I'd still leave the house all the time. Cabin-fever would have me gnawing the legs off chairs otherwise. By a happy chance, bad-smelling or otherwise icky hair treatments are against my vows of benign neglect anyway....
I'm with you on the cabin fever!

No change in routine...too lazy to do much now, and don't care what others think anyway.

lmfbs
March 15th, 2013, 02:49 AM
I wouldn't change my routine. I don't think there's a point in having hair I can't enjoy, and there's nothing enjoyable for me about being tied to your house and having constant treatments in your hair.

Natalia
March 15th, 2013, 02:59 AM
More DT's and heavy oiling, id wear it in a satin/silk sock so i could enjoy it down but out of the way more often, and id stretch washes more often.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2013, 03:02 AM
I would probably just follow my current routine anyway, I am pretty happy with it.

woolyleprechaun
March 15th, 2013, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't change anything. Whenever my hair's looking a tad..unpresentable I just stick a wooly hat on :)

katiebeans
March 15th, 2013, 06:31 AM
I would pretty much keep the same routine, except for perhaps stretching washes. That way nobody else has to deal with my gross hair :)

wandlimb
March 15th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I'd probably leave it down most of the time.

Maybe
March 15th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I would probably keep my hair in my sleep braids. I already do this sometimes on the weemends if I don't have to leave the house.

Fethenwen
March 15th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Never leaving the house sounds scary! I would rather: if I would live in the middle of nowhere far from civilization then my hair routine would be:

wearing it in buns and braids all the time, probably oiling it. And wash it once a week. I would probably take care of it just for my own sake, it's a nice hobby. Either that or I would get dreads :p

Long_hair_bear
March 15th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I'd just simple bun it and do nothing fancy. I alo wouldn't abe to keep it covered all the time (its windy here).

Unofficial_Rose
March 15th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I'd still wash every other day (or my scalp would itch) and blow-dry the fringe, even though strangers wouldn't see it. I would stop flat-ironing the fringe though - no need to try so hard on that front! I'd stop dyeing the grey roots too.

Not being able to get out of the house is one of my greatest nightmares...

jojo
March 15th, 2013, 09:41 AM
...what would you do with your hair? What kind of a hair routine would you have? What treatments would you do?

There's definitely a lot of hair treatments out there that may be great for your hair, but either look or smell bad and many of us wouldn't be comfortable wearing some of those concoctions out of the house. If you never had to leave your house, what would you do with your hair? What kind of things would you leave on it all the time?

I think I'd leave monistat on my scalp all the time. I never used it long enough to find out if it works because I'd always end up having to wash it off because I had to leave the house. I'd also have my hair soaked in coconut oil all the time, it really can never get enough of that stuff.

I'd also always keep my hair in my silk sleep sock for maximum protection :).
I never used to wash monistat out anyway, you can leave it on until the next wash!

Back to your question. Id probably be very lazy and wash it once a month followed by a deep conditioning treatment; im very lazy with my hair at the moment!!!

froglet
March 15th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I currently never have to leave my house unless I want to, or to get groceries or go shopping, so I wouldn't change a bit of my hair routine. Tiny bit of castor oil on dry roots nightly, monoi-coconut-jojoba on misted length, wash and condition every 4th day. If my roots look slightly oily, and by the fourth day they usually do, I just wear a hat or wide headband in front and pull back the rest in a bun.

alexis917
March 15th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Oil it constantly, buns all the way!
But i don't think I would like never leaving my house. Maybe if people could visit me, it would be bearable.

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
That's actually what i did for over a year in total XD especially since i got surgery in december :P i just didnt do my hair...i even started sleeping in my buns so i literally wouldnt take my hair down for a whole week sometimes XD usually once every 4 days i would redo it but thats it.
so....yeah it sucks really. you get tired from laying around and you feel your hair sucks XD cuz its all messy and it starts sagging.
i get anxiety from not moving around so i have to do something

leslissocool
March 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I'd probably wash much less often and keep it oiled xD

I don't have to leave the house. I do this exactly.

I stretch washes. I keep it up. I go out like this anyways. No one has stared or said anything and if they do it's usually for how I am dressed, which I also don't care about really.

Remedy for cabin fever is working out. You can work out everywhere at home. Staying at home is no excuse to be lethargic. Surprisingly enough I don't have vitamin D deficiency and neither do my kids, but we take supplements and drink milk and we do go out in the hottest time of the day to the slide and park and the backyard.

Syaoransbear
March 15th, 2013, 02:33 PM
The 'not leaving the house' part really isn't the point. The point is what you would do if you didn't have to worry about social rules about your hair regarding appearances/smells/whatever, because I've noticed so many posts where people say they want to do a certain hair routine but can't because they work, or have an event to go to, etc.

Not leaving the house seemed like a less depressing scenario than "if everyone in the world died/vanished".

melusine963
March 15th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I would try to go NW/SO. If I didn't like the results, I'd still try to stretch my washes to once a month.

Green Eyes
March 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
id probbly not wash my hair until my natural oils coated every cm and every single hair on my head. being baby fine my hair always ends up stuck to my scalp which isnt too bad with putting my hair up but after a while it looks ive been dipped in the grease

Angel Barchild
March 15th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I style my hair everyday weather I'm going out or not. I like to look pretty:D I see no point in having long hair it I'm not going to do anything with it.

Iolanthe13
March 15th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I would give the curly-girl method a real go. As it is, I never have time to let my hair dry naturally (mornings, I have to walk two miles to class, and evenings, I get home only an hour or two before bedtime). I'd love to give my wurls a chance, as I haven't even seen them in their natural state in months! Alternatively, I'd return to my sulfate-free shampoo/catnip tea routine, washing twice a week, and perhaps using flaxseed gel for the above-mentioned wurls on wash day.

My hair is for me and my family (and significant other, hypothetically) to enjoy, not the public. If it didn't have religious connotations, I'd cover at least the length of my hair in public anyway.

kelly20364
March 15th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I would definitely do more SMT's since I'm always working and feel like I never have the time to do them every other wash like I want to. I would Henna more often. Stretch my washes to once a week. And let it completely air dry before I *wanted to leave the house instead of leaving with it wet :)

dwell_in_safety
March 15th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I really don't think much would change. LOL. I've already stretched washes to once every ten days, aiming to reach every other week eventually. I do a deep oiling before every wash, with coconut oil. Always keep my hair up... I think the only thing that might change would be that I'd go for washing every other week immediately, instead of gradually stretching it one more day. Haha. That would result in some greasies that I wouldn't be very keen on showing in public. I'm already veeeeeery lazy with my hair.

Aeris
March 15th, 2013, 10:07 PM
It would be in a loose side braid tied with a silk ribbon 75% of the time :) and down the rest of the time (depending on when I had washed). I would probably stretch my washes a bit more too, but I don't think much else would change. Back when I hennaed I would have left the henna on for days :D

although really, I don't leave the house much anyways..sounds like it's time for me to buy some ribbons..

Ligeia_13
March 16th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I would still wash my hair every 4 days, otherwise I'd scratch my scalp off. Other than that, not much different that what I do now, just keep it out of the way, really.

WaitingSoLong
March 16th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Ok, I would definitely shave my head.

Neneka
March 16th, 2013, 07:38 AM
If SO wouldn't see my hair either I would keep it heavily oiled and up all the time. That's what I do every time my SO is not at home for couple of days. Oh well.. If I wouldn't have my SO I would keep my hair heavily oiled all the time and use scarfs and hats outside. I would wash my hair as often as now because my scalp gets itchy after 3 or 4 days but I would just oil it again after wash (I never oil my scalp). I am on a sick leave and will be for some time so it would work if it was just me.

CurlyCap
March 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Not much. I cowash every night because I work in a dirty place and need the cleansing. If I left the house less often, I'd probably co-wash every 2 days instead.

I like my routine and it's not cumbersome, so I don't have a lot to change.

deja
September 17th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I don't leave the house much, as I do school online, so I wouldn't change my routine too much. But if I never had to leave the house, I would put in more oil than I do and keep it oiled for days upon days. Wear a silk robe and wear my hair down when I wanted to. I would wash about once every month.

VixenWolfMare
September 17th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I would likely go mad if i never left home...but if i did stay home my hair would be down 24-7.

MyKing'sQueen
September 17th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I would try to go NW/SO. If I didn't like the results, I'd still try to stretch my washes to once a month.
This, or WO. Also I would do treatments with eggs and not worry about smelling like a wet dog afterwards:eek:

PolarCathy
September 17th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I would get sick in my head after a week (max) so I might tilt-shave or something. LOL.

Assuming I still wanted to grow my hair, I think first of all I'd have castor oil on it 24/7 and probably garlic too. It would be pretty much soaking in castor oil all the time.

Then a few weeks later I'd probably shave it off anyway, realizing how much more comfy it is to never have to worry about how presentable I look.

But this is a very rhetorical question in my case since I would get seriously sick in my head if I was house-bound for whatever reason for more than a few days so I can't predict what I would do, being sick in my head. As you can probably see, it doesn't happen voluntarily. LOL.

Leeloo
September 17th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I'd try onion and garlic growth treatments and not worry about the smell :D

earthnut
September 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
If i didn't have to worry about *anyone* else. I'd stop shaving completely. :)

I might take more long baths (while doing deep treatments). I might leave more coconut oil in my hair more often.

Misschilly
September 18th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Maybe I shouln't wash as often as I do..I would make pretty hairstyles, I really like it!

Andeee
September 18th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I would also get cabin fever if I never left the house! I don't think I'd change my hair care routine at all, I don't do much special now and don't think I'd bother even if I was home all day. Maybe I'd try out more complex historical styles.

Vampyria
September 18th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I don't think anything would change. I need to wash my hair every 3-4 days or I start shedding a lot and get bumps on the scalp.

AmyBeth
September 18th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I pretty much do what I feel is best for my hair at any given time. I don't worry about what I look like on a day by day basis. When I want my hair to look really good by conventional standards, all I need is a wash and air dry because I take such good care of it daily.

WilfredAllen
September 18th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Never wash it! Or wash it less, definitely. I'd probably wear it down more or half up/down more

EdG
September 18th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Since I work from home on most days, I don't have to wash my hair as often.
Ed

MonaMayfair
September 19th, 2013, 06:50 AM
The same as I've done ever since I was old enough to wash my own hair, wash every 3rd day and wear it in 2 braids around the house.
What would change is using vegetable dye every couple of weeks to make the transition between my real hair color and my growing out henna look a bit better. If no-one else was going to see my hair, what's the point in making it look good? If I was never going to see another human being for the rest of my life, I'd just cut it all off.

plwaite16
September 19th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I would love to never leave the house..I think my inner hippy could come out.. Long messy hippy chic hair would of been a reality if I could stay home...I think that's my goal right now any way. :)

cathair
September 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM
There's a place outside the house? Seriously? Is that where the day light comes from? That sounds scary.

If I never had to leave the house ever, instead of not having any reason very much, then I might stop bothering to finger comb hair it at all if it didn't hurt my scalp. I only do it when it was full of conditioner in the shower. I'd probably wear in it up do on top of my head more, because they are comfy but make me look like a pineapple. Not sure what else, I oil it plenty anyway.

sumidha
September 19th, 2013, 04:35 PM
My routine probably wouldn't change that much, but I would definitely try out more hair styles. :)

WilfredAllen
September 19th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Not leaving the house seemed like a less depressing scenario than "if everyone in the world died/vanished".

Less depressing is an understatement! All of my favourite fantasies revolve around never having to leave the house again.

EdG
September 19th, 2013, 07:59 PM
There's a place outside the house? Seriously? Is that where the day light comes from? That sounds scary.This is called the "big room" in computer jargon.

Big Room n.

(Also `Big Blue Room') The extremely large room with the blue ceiling and intensely bright light (during the day) or black ceiling with lots of tiny night-lights (during the night) found outside all computer installations. "He can't come to the phone right now, he's somewhere out in the Big Room."

Ed

Taenarian
September 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Something like stay in the house until my hair is exactly the length I dream of, with a perfect hemline? Then it's time to play in the Big Room.

Aingeal
September 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I would probably oil my hair more often and wear lots of buns. I'd still co wash every two to three days as I do now, but I'd lose less product and more leave ins.

ProverbsGirl
September 19th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I would wash once a week. Instead of every other day.

velorutionista
September 19th, 2013, 08:48 PM
oh boy, haha, if I never had to leave the house, it would be up in a braid till I couldn't stand it, washed, and rebraided, on repeat!

Seeshami
September 19th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I don't think I would change much but maybe oil more because The Naughty Mess would never be up.

The Naughty Mess says, "I like this plan stay home all the time"

You'd never get any presents any more because I wouldn't have a job.

The Naughty Mess says, "Work more then so I get more presents"

restless
September 20th, 2013, 03:19 AM
My routine wouldnt change very much, I think. I would still like to wash my hair everyday because I love the feeling of a nice warm shower and freshly washed hair. I do heavy oiling 2-3 times per week now but if I had more time at home, I might oil a bit more often but thats it.

cathair
September 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM
This is called the "big room" in computer jargon.

Big Room n.

(Also `Big Blue Room') The extremely large room with the blue ceiling and intensely bright light (during the day) or black ceiling with lots of tiny night-lights (during the night) found outside all computer installations. "He can't come to the phone right now, he's somewhere out in the Big Room."

Ed

lmao :) I tried going into the Big Room just now, it hurt my eyes :D I wonder who changes the bulbs in the night lights?

LadyCelestina
September 20th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I don't know if I posted in this thread earlier or not but I didn't find any posts by me so I probably didn't...

I would henna/cassia my hair weekly,IF I had enough money on top of never having to leave the house.

Hairitic
September 20th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Same once weekly WEN Conditioning Cleanser and Tea/ACV rinse. Follow with Detangling Spray then use The Wet Brush Detangler to brush my hair to remove any snarls. Roots only Red Raj Henna about once a month and an occasional herbal mask.

The only change I would make would be to dilute Castor Oil with a less viscous oil. I would massage my scalp with it at least 2ce a week and not worry that I might not get it washed out first thing in the am. :p

Katrine
September 20th, 2013, 11:12 PM
I would keep the same routine pretty much but wear it down more.

sarahthegemini
September 21st, 2013, 06:42 AM
I would keep my routine the same although I might wear my satin sleep cap a bit more.