PDA

View Full Version : breaking my rules/cone advice/ bridal hair ideas

rtree721
March 14th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Sooo I am the maid of honor in my sister's wedding which is coming up pretty quickly. And for this occasion I will be breaking all of my rules. I am sulfate, cone, and heat free. (sulfates dry out my hair and I don't want to worry about build up so I don't bother with cones). I have decided that I don't really care if I use these things for one day.

So here is my plan:
Step one: morning of, wash my hair with shampoo and a coney conditioner (thinking hello hydration b/c I know where I can get a travel size for $1)
Step two: let my hair air dry
Step three: spray with coney heat protectant and heat style my hair
Step four: use some kind of coney serum or leave in conditioner that will make my hair less tangly, soft, and shiny
Step five: next day... clarify and go back to my old ways

So any suggestions on a good heat protectant and a good coney serum for shine? I don't want to pay more than $15 for the two. I figured afterwards, I would give them to my sister since she likes to use cones.

Also any suggestions of something I can do with 1C F i waist length hair that will be straightened? I am thinking straightened because my hair rejects curls so I figured I would go in the other direction. I would like it to be down or half up, I just want to make sure it stills looks kinda fancy.

Thanks!

Suze2012
March 14th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Could you not use a serum and heat protector but ignore the sulphate and co cones ..then clarify after if needed?

Just a thought.

I wouldn't sulphate my hair for a special day...no way!!!

Jenny31557
March 14th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I really don't think you will need to straighten 1c hair ...
Although, when I want to style my hair (whichever way, straight,wavy,curly) I just spray it with water and either comb it straight when wet and dry it with a towel (completely heat free), or braid it in two French braids (or more), OR wear it in a sock bun overnight.
Just to clarify, All of those styles I do on wet/damp hair.
Hope this helps and have fun at the wedding!!

rtree721
March 14th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Could you not use a serum and heat protector but ignore the sulphate and co cones ..then clarify after if needed?

Just a thought.

I wouldn't sulphate my hair for a special day...no way!!!

I want to heat style my hair but I wouldn't do that without the protectant.

rtree721
March 14th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Although, when I want to style my hair (whichever way, straight,wavy,curly) I just spray it with water and either comb it straight when wet and dry it with a towel (completely heat free), or braid it in two French braids (or more), OR wear it in a sock bun overnight.

I should have clarified. I am not really a 1c... that's just the middle ground I chose. My top is 1b my underneath is 2a/b and it does not lay nicely.

Jenny31557
March 14th, 2013, 05:45 PM
But have you tried straightening it with water? Or styling it the other ways that I mentioned? It works for me so I really hope it works for you. You could try it before you go to bed, or just some time before the wedding. Good luck.

rtree721
March 14th, 2013, 06:09 PM
But have you tried straightening it with water? Or styling it the other ways that I mentioned? It works for me so I really hope it works for you. You could try it before you go to bed, or just some time before the wedding. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have my heart set on the heat styling.

BBdck1
March 14th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Tresemme Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray is suppose to be a really good inexpensive heat protectant that many people love. I used to use it when I heat style my hair. It has amodimethicone as the 2nd ingredient so you can get away with not using a serum and still have shiny hair. As for styling, I suggest youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/bebexo/videos?view=0 and http://www.youtube.com/user/LetsMakeitUp1/videos?view=0 have really elegant hairstyles that are easy to recreate.

I hope that helps! Please keep us updated!

rtree721
March 15th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Tresemme Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray is suppose to be a really good inexpensive heat protectant that many people love. I used to use it when I heat style my hair. It has amodimethicone as the 2nd ingredient so you can get away with not using a serum and still have shiny hair. As for styling, I suggest youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/bebexo/videos?view=0 and http://www.youtube.com/user/LetsMakeitUp1/videos?view=0 have really elegant hairstyles that are easy to recreate.

I hope that helps! Please keep us updated!

Thanks! I think I have seen that heat spray before. Maybe I'll just use that before I heat style and then put some mineral oil in my hair afterwards because that usually makes my hair softer.

imaroo
March 15th, 2013, 09:19 AM
If you want to heat style and use a heat protectant, you can get samples for cheap on ebay. For example http://compare.ebay.com/like/320673105791?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I can't vouch for whether this is a good one or not.

I think it's very sweet that you're willing to break all of your rules for your sister. :)

Kaelee
March 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM
You can do some awesome things with Caruso rollers, either loosening curls or adding more curls. They're not damaging and you wouldn't need heat protectant spray. Other than that I don't know because I haven't heat styled since I was a teenager. :lol: I honestly don't remember how to do it.

Cheele
March 15th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I've never been much of a hair product person, but I LOVE Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum. I haven't used it in years, though. It's coney I believe.. And I love the smell :). It flattens out any frizzies and perfects a straightening job without looking like a grease/wettish mess after. That's about the only product I know about. And another reason I want to comment is because of the other commenter who said that you don't really need to straighten 1c hair. Uh... is 1c hair straight??? NO. 1a is. THAT is why you would want to straighten it... to achieve a 1a look. Haha, and yes, I noticed you clarified that your upper layer is more 2a/b :). But my point still stands for anyone else thinking that. 1c may be straighter than most... but it is not straight.

Have a beautiful day and congratulations to your sister :D

rtree721
March 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I've never been much of a hair product person, but I LOVE Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum. I haven't used it in years, though. It's coney I believe.. And I love the smell :). It flattens out any frizzies and perfects a straightening job without looking like a grease/wettish mess after. That's about the only product I know about. And another reason I want to comment is because of the other commenter who said that you don't really need to straighten 1c hair. Uh... is 1c hair straight??? NO. 1a is. THAT is why you would want to straighten it... to achieve a 1a look. Haha, and yes, I noticed you clarified that your upper layer is more 2a/b :). But my point still stands for anyone else thinking that. 1c may be straighter than most... but it is not straight.

I was thinking the same thing. My mix of textures means my hair doesn't usually cooperate and 1C isn't quite the kind of straight I was looking for. Thanks for the feedback and btw you have really nice hair.

Suze2012
March 15th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I want to heat style my hair but I wouldn't do that without the protectant.

I get the heat styling bit..and yep I would too if required.but I don't understand why you want to use shampoo before?
For a special day I may heat style if needed and cone but I would sulphate poo after..

Jenny31557
March 15th, 2013, 02:47 PM

I think you missed my point... I don't mean to be rude but I get that 1c hair isn't stick straight like 1a, but I meant that you could just use water to make it straighter without killing it with heat. And besides, she said she is the maid of honor not the bride, so I really don't think people will notice that her hair isn't stick straight and therefore I don't see why she would damage her hair unnecessarily.

Angel Barchild
March 15th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Go all and have a great time! Don't forget to post pics of how great your hair looks.

rtree721
March 15th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I think you missed my point... I don't mean to be rude but I get that 1c hair isn't stick straight like 1a, but I meant that you could just use water to make it straighter without killing it with heat.

Unfortunately, any of the methods I have tried to straighten my hair without heat hasn't given me even, polished results. So for one day, I figured it didn't really matter if I use heat.

I get the heat styling bit..and yep I would too if required.but I don't understand why you want to use shampoo before?
For a special day I may heat style if needed and cone but I would sulphate poo after..

I think I will use sulphate shampoo before because it gives me more volume... sulphate free leaves some oil. Normally I don't care if it is oily but for this, I guess I do care.

rtree721
March 15th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Go all and have a great time! Don't forget to post pics of how great your hair looks.

I am sure I will!

Bagginslover
March 16th, 2013, 03:28 AM

I'm really glad these methods straighten your hair, but I really don't see HOW they do! My hair is 1b, so pretty darn straight, doing anything other than leaving it totally alove makes it wavier/curlier. I use sock buns for curled ends, braids for waves, not to straighten. I'm not saying I don't beleive you, not at all, but I'd love to see before and afters, even a tutorial for how you achieve straighening with methods I use to curl :)

Suze2012
March 16th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I think I will use sulphate shampoo before because it gives me more volume... sulphate free leaves some oil. Normally I don't care if it is oily but for this, I guess I do care.

Ah!!!! I get it now!
Then yes, you know how your hair reacts..so go for it! Enjoy your day!

I would test it out first to make sure it still reacts the same way with sulphates...but..two days of a little harsh treatment isn't the end of the world. :)

*all the years I washed in sulphates..and straightened with heat...and only a few weeks after stopping with heat my hair was better...changing to no sulphates was the real biggie for me though...after ohhh...42 years of harsh treatment...lol!*

Jenny31557
March 16th, 2013, 09:56 AM

@ Bagginslover

I should have been clearer and I apologise.
I comb it when it's wet for straight hair, I braid it for waves, and I sock bun it for curls. I hope that clears it up.
Sorry for not being more specific. :flower:

Bagginslover
March 22nd, 2013, 03:27 AM
@ Bagginslover

I should have been clearer and I apologise.
I comb it when it's wet for straight hair, I braid it for waves, and I sock bun it for curls. I hope that clears it up.
Sorry for not being more specific. :flower:

Makes sense, thank you :)

marykatz
March 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
When I was in my friends wedding last year, the beautician told me to wash it the day before. She said freshly washed hair wouldn't hold the style as well. So you might want to wash it the night before.

A good coney serum that I used to use before I stopped was BioSilk.

thirstylocks
March 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
I do believe that all your work growing out your hair is meant for occasions like these - where you can break your rules a little and showcase your hair to look very fancy and styled.

As far as heat protectant - CHI is supposed to have good products and I have used a serum of theirs with good results. But I don't *really* believe that heat protectants make much of a difference.