PDA

View Full Version : longer length curlies/ wavies- does gel/ mousse protect your hair when down?

starry
March 14th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Im at collarbone (2bfii) after a big dye chop and Im starting to feel like I can do curly girl/ wavy girl method again on a consistent basis. I would like to wear my hair down regularly if not always the longer it gets and I wondered if anybody feels that the application of gel and mousse protects their hair from mechanical damage (re lhc standard advice to wear it up!)

thanks in advance- cant wait to read your answers and get some advice :)

Starry

Quixii
March 14th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I don't use mousse, and don't usually use gel, but I wouldn't say it protects my hair from damage. More just helps keep the curls defined a little.

Suze2012
March 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I never wear my hair up.

I'm closer to waist than BSL.

I use very little product..a finger pad sized amount of curl cream (Boots own) and just started trying Glycering & Rosewater as a spray.

I'm curly.
I co wash.
I never EvER run my fingers through my hair, never use a brush, nor a comb.

Gel..real gel would make me want to crunch the crunch out...

rtree721
March 14th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't imagine that it would protect the hair from mechanical damage. Sorry.

MissTulip
March 14th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I almost always wear my hair down. I use coconut oil first, then two different gels on top of that. My hair is never crunchy and I know that, at least, my routine keeps single strand knots at bay. Not sure if it helps with mechanical damage, but I must be doing something right for it to be at the length it is :grin:

starry
March 14th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks ladies- great ideas and thoughts so far! You all have beautiful hair :)

spirals
March 15th, 2013, 12:28 AM
I'm a 3a at waist. I never used to comb/brush before LHC, and I didn't get mechanical damage. Both then and now I used gel (plastic then, flax now). If I'm going to brush, which I don't want to stop doing, I'm going to get damage, despite even using detangler. But it's minimal and can be taken care of with S & D. Also, even if I didn't brush, my current length--which I haven't had since 1995--would make mechanical damage inevitable. Do the best you can to baby it and get sharp scissors.

dulce
March 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Can't stand gels,they leave my hair sticky and clumpy.I wear my hair down most times, and keep it well conditioned,no brushing,just a wide tooth comb.

MrsGuther
March 15th, 2013, 10:07 PM
If anything mousse and gel make mechanical damage worse! They make my hair sticky and if I try to detangle it while there is mousse in it, my hair goes snap crackle pop! Aka it rips and breaks strands. I hate that, so I avoid mousse. My hair is three inches from classic length and its very wavy with medium course strands.

DarkCurls
March 16th, 2013, 02:33 AM
If I'm going to wear my hair down, I usually use gel in an attempt to keep frizz away, maybe make the curls a little more defined. That's the only thing it does for me. My hair rubs against my back the entire day and end-of-the-day frizz is minimal thanks to gel (but it's still definitely there).
I'm pretty sure mousse and gel do not protect from mechanical damage... I don't see how they would. They're just product, not a wall between your hair and the rest of the world.
Enjoy your hair. You want to protect it, but at collarbone -- even if it's fine -- it's probably not yet at "snags everything it passes" length. It won't suffer that much damage, unless it's very sensitive to mechanical damage.

My hair is curly and past waist.

melusine963
March 16th, 2013, 02:40 AM
I managed to thoroughly wreck my hair using mousse. That said, I would detangle it without first washing the mousse out, so no wonder. I'm not sure if mousse or gel would protect against mechanical damage.

woolyleprechaun
March 16th, 2013, 02:59 AM
I'm fairly curly but henna straightened me out a fair bit. I wear my hair up all the time, so I don't really do anything to help the curl. If I do want it down and looking presentable, the most I will do is spritz it with a bit of water if its dry, and scrunch through a tiny dab of oil. Gels and mouses are unlikely do offer any protction as they are essentially watered-down glues, but a good oil wil help with frizz control and definition. I'm not the best person to advise you, admittedly :P