PDA

View Full Version : Growing thicker eyebrows? Help!

lovinglocks
March 13th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I have super thin eyebrow hair, to the point where it looks like I just have a few hairs hanging out above my eyes :( I bought an eyebrow pencil, and to me it looks really quite obvious ive tried to fill them in.

I've heard castor oil can help grow in thicker eyebrow hair. Has anyone tried this successfully? Any other advice on what to use/what to do? It drives me nuts, I love the look of thick, full eyebrows :(

Mommyof4
March 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Cocoa Butter helped me more than Castor oil for growing in my pitiful eyebrows lol.. It was $2 for a stick of pure Cocoa Butter at Target :D

jessa
March 13th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I have been using castor oil nightly on my eyebrows since November and found it has worked great.
the hardest part of growing out eyebrows is to leave the tweezers alone haha.

I also started putting castor oil on my acne scars on my cheeks and under my eyes at night and my ance scars are almost gone now and it reduces eye puffiness and dark circles. I love the stuff.

I have also been using one of these eyebrow pencils (its a bit more like crayon really)
http://www.smashbox.com/product/6026/17808/Eyes/Brows/BROW-TECH-TO-GO/Self-Healthy-Beauty-Award-2011/index.tmpl

Its alot less harsh than a normal eyebrow pencil and I find it looks more natural. I use the taupe colour.

after 3 months of castor oil and using this eyebrow pencil, last week I went to an eyebrow stylist who threaded and tinted my eyebrows and they have never looked better. was completely worth the wait for them to grow out for a few months.

I have read that it can take 6-8 months for eyebrows to fully grow back.

I hope this helps.

Vanille_
March 13th, 2013, 09:26 PM
You can also look into permanent makeup. Someone on here does permanent makeup brows and they are stunning. I would resort to that last.

Kaelee
March 13th, 2013, 09:36 PM
You can also look into permanent makeup. Someone on here does permanent makeup brows and they are stunning. I would resort to that last.

Yep! Ultrabella! :D

I've seen permanent makeup in person that I didn't know was permanent makeup. I asked a coworker how she got her eyeliner to look so amazing all night. She let me in on her secret...it really, really looked great.

dulce
March 13th, 2013, 10:26 PM
You can use 5% rogaine on your brows at night,and Latisse[for thin eyelashes] on the brows in the morning-saw this in a magazine.

audreyk94
March 13th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I've used castor oil on my eyebrows in the past, and they made the existing hairs look darker, as well as made the hair grow quicker. But, if you have a lack of hair follicles, I'm not sure that applying castor oil would suddenly create new ones?

I don't really advise the permanent makeup route... we're all naturally beautiful eyebrows or not!

And even without many eyebrow hairs, you can still pencil/fill them in and make it look natural. When I first tried to fill them in , I wasn't great but it took some practice I guess. Rule of thumb for color of the eyebrow pencil is one to two shades lighter if your hair is dark brown or dark red, and two to three shades darker if your hair is blonde. If your hair is black or gray, an ashy brown looks best. I've never been a fan of pencils, so for my eyebrow routine I usually start out with an ashy-brownish color with my angled eyeliner brush and "trace" my eyebrow from the top arch and bottom arch, then blend through the middle until it looks natural. I've seen girls on YouTube with sparser eyebrows than mine to perfect this method. You can use a concealer, makeup wipe, or q-tip to wipe away any "smudged edges" in the end.

spirals
March 13th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Mine are growing bald at the edges via age. I have been using castor oil nightly for a few months. I have seen a bit of new growth, but they won't go back to the thickness I had at 19, I don't think. It does really grow hair back, though.

UltraBella
March 14th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I don't really advise the permanent makeup route... we're all naturally beautiful eyebrows or not!

I adore my permanent eyebrows and eyeliner, so I definitely DO advise people to consider it if they can't get their own brows to grow in properly. If they are done by a skilled technician, no one would EVER know unless you tell them - it's more natural looking than eyebrow pencil or powder and it doesn't come off while swimming, exercising, etc. Yes, we're all naturally beautiful - but we look weird without eyebrows. Eyebrows are a frame for the rest of your face and there's nothing wrong with choosing to get a little help if you need it. It's still me and my natural beauty, just with a tiny bit of enhancement. My eyelashes are blonde and I seldom wear mascara, I'm allergic to most of them, so that bit of definition makes a big difference. And my eyebrows got really sparse compared to when I was under 30 and I like a full brow.

Here's my permanent brows and liner :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/d5e9c098a7b028f13cbdd4e0348bbbeb_zpsa940488c.jpg

Sorry my bangs are hiding one brow, lol, but they always do. Let me find one that shows me with my hair pulled back and zero makeup on. Here you go :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/8f0195e2.jpg

Kaelee
March 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Ultrabella I love the no makeup shot. Permanent brows are the only permanent makeup I've considered...my eyebrows are a tad...wonky? Naturally, thin in spots and just a little 'off'. I tend to darken them in with powder. I love the look of permanent eyeliner but I find I look strange with *just* eyeliner on and don't always want to wear liner, so I'd pass on that (but I love it on other people though!)

If I'm ever going to be in Montana for a length of time I'll be sure to look you up. :D

UltraBella
March 14th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Ultrabella I love the no makeup shot. Permanent brows are the only permanent makeup I've considered...my eyebrows are a tad...wonky? Naturally, thin in spots and just a little 'off'. I tend to darken them in with powder. I love the look of permanent eyeliner but I find I look strange with *just* eyeliner on and don't always want to wear liner, so I'd pass on that (but I love it on other people though!)

If I'm ever going to be in Montana for a length of time I'll be sure to look you up. :D

You would not be the first LHCer to come see me for permanent makeup, I'll be hoping you end up my way sometime :)

MissHair
March 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Good thread, Im personally obsessed with eyebrows. I got really thick eyebrows and always pluck them too thin and end up regretting it. But really I think coconut oil works better than castor oil for some reason. My tip is also if you dislike eyebrown pencils, try fading in some colour by using a brush and some brown eyeshadow (or whatever matches your real eyebrows), it sorta gives it a fading look, and does not come off looking too strong.

SlipJig
March 14th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Since I was little, I have had very light eyelashes and eyebrows. It's as if they are really sunbleached or something; they're not sparse, but they're almost... translucent? Some days I think they're kinda nice; my brows are so light I could leave off plucking them entirely and just bring out the shape I want with powder. The stragglers don't even show up. And this is coming from someone with super pale skin.

Sure, there's Latisse, Rogaine, castor oil, etc. Tinting, too, could give the appearance of thickness just by darkening them up. I would feel uncomfortable with the first two (plus, they aren't cheap, right?), and I have tried castor oil but never made it a regular thing (which I should, I guess, but it always seems to rub off...). Tinting? I don't want to be always going into a salon.

Like you, I find pencil gives too harsh a line on its own. BUT it can work if you apply it lightly and then soften it with a little angled brush. Another option, what I do most days, is use a little neutral-toned MAC eyeshadow (a little lighter than the "roots" of my eyelashes/brows) on an angled brush and fill in my brows with little feathery strokes. This is effective, soft-looking, and extremely economical. I have had the same little pot of eyeshadow and the same brush for something like five years now, and this with daily use. Now that I say that, it sounds gross, but the stuff is still going strong. You can also line your eyes with the little brush, dampened, and the same eyeshadow, which gives a very nice, subtle effect.

When I am looking for more definition, I have a little compact that is half-wax and half-powder by Benefit. I find that if I use just the coloured wax, or the coloured wax mixed with a little powder on the brush (never just the powder, or the powder and then the wax... makes me look like a clown), I can get a darker look that is still natural, and probably goes better with my medium-brown mascara (can't wear even as dark as brown-black. Looks wrong on me).

Then again, you could go visit Ultrabella, which I am now seriously thinking of doing one year... I had never thought about permanent makeup as an option before, but hers looks very natural and really pretty :)

Good luck to you in finding a method you like. Remember: at least you do not have a dark, dark unibrow that requires loads of painful plucking. And pale brows can be beautiful too, though they are not the current fashion. If I have cause to look super-innocent on a given day, I might forget the brow powder so I look like a harmless little thing :P

Vanille_
March 14th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I use powder and an angled brush. The powder I use is a couple shades lighter than my hair. I've done this for years and do like the effect. I just can't get a pencil to look natural enough for me.

Carolyn
March 14th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I use Li Lash and Li Brow and have my lashes and brows dyed. They look so much better now that I am doing it.

lovinglocks
March 15th, 2013, 09:16 AM
WOW! Thanks for all the input you guys! The idea of drawing them in every day kind of bothers me. They're so sparse that to me it just looks like I'm drawing two lines on my face in the morning. I think with a bit of practice and learning it will get better and look more natural to me. I mean, maybe it looks fine when I fill them in, but of course it's my face... and I get really close to the mirror to analyze them after doing so lol!

I adore my permanent eyebrows and eyeliner, so I definitely DO advise people to consider it if they can't get their own brows to grow in properly. If they are done by a skilled technician, no one would EVER know unless you tell them - it's more natural looking than eyebrow pencil or powder and it doesn't come off while swimming, exercising, etc. Yes, we're all naturally beautiful - but we look weird without eyebrows. Eyebrows are a frame for the rest of your face and there's nothing wrong with choosing to get a little help if you need it. It's still me and my natural beauty, just with a tiny bit of enhancement. My eyelashes are blonde and I seldom wear mascara, I'm allergic to most of them, so that bit of definition makes a big difference. And my eyebrows got really sparse compared to when I was under 30 and I like a full brow.

UltraBella, your eyebrows look beautiful. I've mentioned to a few friends I've thought about getting that done, and they've all said I shouldn't.... but what do they know? I may just have to look into it.

I might try the castor oil thing, being that I have a bottle of it a home lol. Give it a few months, and see how that goes. For drawing them in for the time being, I might just have to look at what works best for me and try a few things.

gonzobird
March 15th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I have permanent makeup on my brows, too. LOVE THEM.

They are "soft scrubbed" (Thats what my lady calls it) So its just there enough to look like light pencil, but not at ll. Just looks like I have really nice brows. I totally recommend it. My lady does it so the ink is 1 layer under the skin (reg tattoos are three layers) So it fades naturally and realistically wont much be there years down the road, in case I don't want it anymore. I love mine.

cherry blossom
March 15th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Ultrabella, your eyebrows look gorgeous :)
To OP, I have tried castor oil and can feel the growth within a few days.. I have reasonably thick eyebrows to start with, but I do resort to castor oil, if I end up with way thinner eyebrows after the salon visit.
Just to mention, there was a time when I had plenty of hair shedding from the scalp - and castor oil helped tremendously, with that too..
Also, when I take biotin, my eyebrows and nails need maintenance more often.. so thats something you could experiment with// along with topical remedies..

Love
CB