PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Aging Hair Care: Thoughts and Opinions

Kaya
March 13th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this whole idea... http://glo.msn.com/beauty/new-products-aim-to-deliver-more-youthful-hair-9068.gallery#!stackState=0__%2Fbeauty%2Fnew-products-aim-to-deliver-more-youthful-hair-9068.gallery
(http://glo.msn.com/beauty/new-products-aim-to-deliver-more-youthful-hair-9068.gallery#!stackState=0__%2Fbeauty%2Fnew-products-aim-to-deliver-more-youthful-hair-9068.gallery)
But I figured it would make an interesting topic for the LHC to pick apart...err...I mean discuss. :)

leslissocool
March 13th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Texture does changes as you age, but if you care for your hair (and you oil it, moisturize it, eat well ect) I don't see how your hair would age badly.

Maybe the older long hairs here could give their POV. I've seen gorgeous long hair on older women here and I don't suspect they use any of these products... Seems like marketing scam, praying on the fear of getting old. Like 0 calorie water bottles :rolleyes:.

Dorothy
March 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Well, I don't see myself working on this problem with products, I'm just not that kind of girl, but it would be nice to have a thread about taking care of hair as you age. I've got a teeny bit of thinning going on in the crown, which makes me worry about losing my hair.

The grey ones are stiff and stick up, even though I henna them. I find aloe vera gel helpful in sticking them down. Also, getting a silk pillowcase helped a lot with them, because if you think about it, that's the hair under your head that is turning at night. I think they're still still stiff, but they're more willing to lay down.

SMT's are very helpful, but somehow it always seems like a huge hassle to me to do this. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I only have a bathtub.

What do you other ladies find helpful?

chen bao jun
March 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I think they're selling things.
I'm 56--I don't know if that's old enough to count. I haven't noticed any hair texture changes--except that my hair got way better from what it had always been by using LHC methods. I have coarse hair anyway, so I don't think it will get coarser. I am not very gray yet and my gray hairs do not have any different texture from the others. I have noticed no thinning as of yet.

I wonder if some of the 'age-related' changes could be related to the fact that by the time many women are in their fifties and sixties they have been abusing their hair for 30 or 40 years and its had enough?

My one grandmother lived until 88. she had bra strap length hair and was probably a 2B and had fine hair--gossamer fine and floaty. It did thin a lot from about ages 60-80. then she stopped using black hair dye and it thickened right back up and became beautiful white hair. She never used heat or chemicals other than the dye in it. she was a believer in boar bristle brushing. She gathered her hair up in a hairnet daily and it was protected that way. She braided it loosely to sleep at night.

My other grandmother lived until age 91. she was a 3a and had extremely coarse strands (like me). In her young photos she had a huge thickness. In one photo she has two plaits and each plait has got to be 3 inches circumference and there is no taper at the ends. She has about waist length hair in that photo but by her sixties she had classic. she never went gray. She did not dye her hair, she naturally never went gray. However, she lost a great deal of hair between ages 60 and 80. When I met her at age 87 or so, she had a teeny weeny little bun. and she had not gotten a haircut. Her hair was thin--but not so thin that you could see her scalp or anything. She also never used heat or chemicals and washed in rainwater (and she was another BBB-er).
My last surviving aunt, her daughter is now 92. she cut her hair short long ago. she is a 1b, I would say. she had reasonably thick hair, anyway not noticeably thin, but now it is so thin that you can see her scalp easily. I don't know anything about her current hair care. I do know that she also used no heat and no chemicals ever. She does have gray hair now--she started graying in her late 70's and is maybe 1/3 gray at this point? the back is still all black (naturally) But as I said, she is very thin on top at this point.
So from what I have seen, it apparently depends. some people get thinning hair and some don't. And some get thinning hair but its hair dye and when they stop that, they have no issues.
But this is by no means a good survey, jsut one family.
P.S. my 81 year old mother is a 4b or even 4c. She has abused her hair all her life with heat, chemicals, hair dye, hair weaves, wigs, what have you. She still has plenty of hair in terms of not being thin at all, but has extreme problems with hair breakage. But she always has had. I don't think this is anything to do with age, its just that she totally abuses what is a very fragile hair type. She currently has in some kind of weave or extensions but you can see all the thick hair under it, not cared for well at all.

irisheyes
March 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I think the large baby boomer generation is aging and therefore a target for companies that want to profit from the anti-aging trend that is so popular now. Maybe the market for products that promise to extend youthful good looks has always been around, and I never noticed until I began to age myself. Besides, I think it's heat and rough treatment that ages hair.

I looked at the Pantene anti-aging shampoo but decided to save my money. I don't think my gray hair is any different than the non-gray hair that I still have. I started diluting my shampoo and conditioner, and I'm really happy with the results. I think full strength products are just too strong for my hair and cause alot of frizz. I don't think aging has anything to do with it. I think the products are just too harsh nowadays.

czech it out
March 13th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I recently got a few samples of this (http://www.redken.com/products/haircare/time-reset/time-reset-youth-revitalizer) Redken deep treatment for 'aging hair.' I don't fit the target demographic, but I couldn't let them go to waste! After a few uses, I noticed a strange buildup on my hair. A closer look at the ingredients revealed that it contains wax (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candelilla_wax) of all things. I'm no chemist, but I imagine they add ingredients like this to give the illusion of hair becoming thicker. The products in that MSN article sound interesting and potentially hair healthy, but I can't help thinking that they probably contain similar "quick fix" ingredients that they don't advertise.

Kaelee
March 13th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I notice most of those products are to combat the "dryness" that comes with age. Um...you don't NEED any sort of "anti-aging" product to combat dryness...but we all knew that already. ;D

Mommyof4
March 13th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Hmm... I smell gimmick. My grandmother is 68, will be 69 next week, and her hair is AMAZING. Still thick, wavy, vibrantly shiny... and she colors it, because she's been gray/white since 30, and never took to it. I envy her hair LOL. She knows it, too.. I'm constantly asking her if she wants to try coloring with the light brown Rainbow Research, since it's healthier for her scalp and hair.. She comes over about twice monthly, and I do a deep moisture treatment and blow dry for her, she has a long bob. Her hair looks Hollywood level, and she uses old curling irons, daily lol. I would think my hair needs help way more than hers. Age is nothin' but a number ;)

dulce
March 13th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Another marketing scam!!!Less is more with age.When I had dyed shorter hair 4 years ago , it was dry,brittle,breaking off and thinner.I stopped dyeing,stopped hot blowdryers and brushing and treated it super gently , kept growing it long ,keeping it well conditioned daily. Now I have undyed silvery past hip hair that is much thicker,shinier and healthier and without using any of these products.Don't fall for stuff like this.I just turned 61.

long&blonde
March 14th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I'm 58, hair at tailbone, and my hair's never been thicker or healthier, thanks to my quitting all heat about 3 years ago.
I also went from a daily shampoo, to once a week at most.
I switched from me at home dying my white since age 19,hair a few times a month with permanent one step drug store dyes, to a salon touching just my roots up for me once a month,about 3 years ago too.
I agree that the commercials for hair products to prevent aging, are trying to scam us all and make a profit.
Smt's are the holy grail I've found thru lhc, for shine,moisture,health.
I've seen women in their late 70s on up with very thin hair as described.
I'm thinking genetics, plus different health conditions/stress/medications and diet when older all could contribute.
At 58 one thing I've definitely learned,
Every new decade brings you a "'surprise". Lol.

browneyedsusan
March 14th, 2013, 06:00 AM
My hair is still "short", but it's the longer and healthier than it's been in 20 years. I think that whole "youthful hair" business is pure marketing. Everything, including hair, changes as we age. That stuff is driven by genetics and hormones and stress and diet and lots of things. A topical product isn't going to have much impact, IMHO. Quitting heat, and other LHC practices would be much more effective and way cheaper! Just my opinion, but there it is!:twocents::)

maborosi
March 14th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah, this sounds like a lot of BS to me. I think hair texture can definitely change as you age- my mom went from being 1b to 2a in about 20 years- but I'm guessing that had more to do with hormones than anything.

Dryness? Just oil/moisturize and stop using things that'll dry out your hair.

~maborosi~

ravenreed
March 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
My hair is coarser and I have much less of it than in my 20's. Oh well. I may find a treatment that helps with the thinning, but I am not overly concerned as yet. It is still within normal range, it is just thinner for me. However, my poor mum has such a thin head of hear that you can see her scalp. If I could find something that helped MY hair, I would totally inflict it on her too.

HairFaerie
March 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I knew a a woman who had beautiful, thick, shiny, gray hair down to her tailbone. I asked her what she used on her hair. She smiled and said - dish soap. Dish soap from the dollar store! She said she put a little in the palm of her hand and added water to it and lathered up her hair. That's it. That was her secret!

I don't think her "secret" would work on everyone's hair but, the point I am leaning towards is....these articles prey on people's fears and get them to buy things they don't need.

I am 44 and as I get older, I am leaning more toward natural care. Herbal/ACV rinses, oils, natural shampoo & conditioners. I am getting away from commercial products and making my own, natural stuff. I am liking it so far. I think that will help me with my "aging hair".

kitschy
March 14th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Anything to make us feel inadequate so that we'll buy their garbage! What is wrong about aging? We all do it, it is inevitable and IMHO GREAT!

alyaziaaah
March 14th, 2013, 09:34 AM
i think thinning hair with age might have to do with nutrition.
i noticed that when i went on a high protein diet, actually i started with l-cysteine capsules on a high dosage,
that i had new strands of hair growing in. to that extent that i strongly believe my ponytail circumverence
has gotten significally thicker, maybe around a third from what is was since childhood all my life.
granted, i grew up on a mainly carb diet, meat only once a week and very few eggs.
i remember having short hair that time, i was always feeling i dont have many hairs on my sclap, i was fifteen.
also i want to mention i feel taking MSM made my hair texture silkier over time and i stopped it for a couple of months and now
the new growth is more coarse.:rolleyes:
i started to take it again, lets see if that had to do with the MSM or is it the l-cysteine capsules, but i am taking a lot of protein
so i dont think its that.
i do have a lot of gray hairs with a wirey and coarse but over all with co wash/WO and nutrition it looks better now (i am 46 btw) than it ever has all my life.
that much to aging hair :happydance:

WaitingSoLong
March 14th, 2013, 11:08 AM
So many great replies to respond to!

Seems like marketing scam, praying on the fear of getting old. Like 0 calorie water bottles :rolleyes:.

Yup. My very first thoughts as soon as the parade of products began.

My hair is still "short", but it's the longer and healthier than it's been in 20 years. I think that whole "youthful hair" business is pure marketing. Everything, including hair, changes as we age. That stuff is driven by genetics and hormones and stress and diet and lots of things. A topical product isn't going to have much impact, IMHO. Quitting heat, and other LHC practices would be much more effective and way cheaper! Just my opinion, but there it is!:twocents::)

That not :twocents: that is a dollars worth of wisdom.

Your hair is only as old as it has been out of your scalp. They must mean that aging can change your hair follicle but your HAIR isn't as old as you are. Sheesh.

I knew a a woman who had beautiful, thick, shiny, gray hair down to her tailbone. I asked her what she used on her hair. She smiled and said - dish soap. Dish soap from the dollar store! She said she put a little in the palm of her hand and added water to it and lathered up her hair. That's it. That was her secret!

I have used dish soap. And handsoap. And bar soap. Honestly, I get excellent results from liquid Dial handsoap (pick a fragrance). I wouldn't use it exclusively without a great conditioner, though. It clarifies nicely and if I don't follow with conditioner, I get teh sleekest, straightest hair you have ever seen that doesn't tangle. Too bad it is too drying!

Anything to make us feel inadequate so that we'll buy their garbage! What is wrong about aging? We all do it, it is inevitable and IMHO GREAT!

Love this. I read somewhere once that age is a badge of honor to be worn proudly because you have earned it.

I hope I never spend a dime on anti-aging stuff. But I am only 37 and age is kind in my family genetics as far as appearance is concerned. Wrinkles are just not a huge deal and neither is sagging skin. My Mom's hair began to thin after 60. It's not horribly thin but her hair has always been thinner than mine. She is not gray at all yet.

I know hair thins when you get older and this is my most basic fear as far as hair goes. I would hope to just rock a shaved head and go for some loud earrings if this happened to me. Thinning hair is why the old lady helmet-hair is so popular. Short with a perm often adequately disguises thinning hair on women.

But I agree that a topical product line is not going to solve anything. Health comes from the inside out. Honestly, I think diet is the key to most things. Just getting adequate hydration without caffeine and sugar can help a myriad of issues. Dehydration is associated with skin issues, vision issues, exacerbates allergy symptoms, breathing issues, blood pressure issues, headaches, concentration and memory issues, etc. etc.

I am all for drinking lots of pure water and eating healthy foods. Unfortunately, I am skeptical "pure water" even exists these days.

UP Lisa
March 14th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Well, I'm 52. When I started on the long-hair boards about 8 years ago my ponytail was 3". Now it is 2 1/2". I really hate it, and am still hoping it will get back to 3". I have had thyroid and low iron stores issues. they say that each individual hair gets thinner with age. Sounds like a nightmare for me since my hairs are baby-fine anyway.

silverthread
March 14th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I don't know what will help others with their hair as they age, but as for me, my hair began thinning several years ago. I stopped coloring my hair, stopped blow drying it, began using gentle, diluted shampoo and conditioner, eating protein, etc., etc., and my hair is much thicker now.

I've heard that many women lose their hair as they age due to medications. I don't take any medications, so maybe that's another reason why I've been lucky.

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I don't know what will help others with their hair as they age, but as for me, my hair began thinning several years ago. I stopped coloring my hair, stopped blow drying it, began using gentle, diluted shampoo and conditioner, eating protein, etc., etc., and my hair is much thicker now.

I've heard that many women lose their hair as they age due to medications. I don't take any medications, so maybe that's another reason why I've been lucky.
Yes, like I said before it was amazing how much thicker my one grandmother's hair got, in her 80's, when she stopped using hair dye.

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I also wanted to say, I oil my scalp with Jamaican black castor oil and burdock root oil (50/50 combo) not only because I have a dry scalp but because both are supposed to be hair thickeners. Although I am having no thinning yet, I feel that thinning is possible in the future (after 70 or 75) and I want to be pro-active. I may not be able to stop it, if it is in my genes, but perhaps I can slow it down.
Anyway it can't hurt.
I put a little on my eyebrows with a Q-tip too. All the older ladies I know don't have eyebrows, so I'm trying to delay that, too. won't touch my eyelashes though--too near my eyes!

HylianGirl
March 14th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I also wanted to say, I oil my scalp with Jamaican black castor oil and burdock root oil (50/50 combo) not only because I have a dry scalp but because both are supposed to be hair thickeners. Although I am having no thinning yet, I feel that thinning is possible in the future (after 70 or 75) and I want to be pro-active. I may not be able to stop it, if it is in my genes, but perhaps I can slow it down.
Anyway it can't hurt.
I put a little on my eyebrows with a Q-tip too. All the older ladies I know don't have eyebrows, so I'm trying to delay that, too. won't touch my eyelashes though--too near my eyes!

Women in my family tend to have very thin hair when they age too, I guess I'll try that... even though I'm on my 20's hahaha oh, well, it won't hurt.

About the eyebrows, I think it has to do not only with age, but also with fashion. At my grandmother's time it was considered fashionable to have thin drawn eyebrows, so she plucked them her whole life, I guess overplucking for years affects more the thickness of the eyebrows more than age itself, bu I'm no expert.

GrowingGlory
March 14th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I'm "aging" now and my hair has never been in better condition. I don't use any "anti-aging" products except the sea buckthorn oil in my NightBlooming Custom Herbal Oil blend.

lapushka
March 14th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Anti-aging hair care? Laughable. Who wouldn't laugh. Come on. I wonder how the ingredients would be so different. I do, however, believe in catering towards your hairtype (more moisturizing conditioners for instance) and scalp (oily, normal, dry), but that's another story.

jeanniet
March 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
It's just about money. Hair can change as you age, sure, but you don't necessarily need special products for it. In any case, I think it's mostly taking advantage of women who are feeling insecure about growing older.

Teazel
March 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Well I haven't tried any of those products so I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's snake oil syndrome. There's some misinformation in that blurb, too. For instance, hair at mid-back is 8 years old? What? If you're a giant, maybe....

My hair is thinning, too - has been for years, sigh. It's in my genes, what can you do? I was at a wedding recently and a lady in her 50s approached me to rave about my hair (it was in a simple plait down my back; couldn't put it up because the ceremony was out in the summer sun so I wore a hat), and she was lamenting the fact that she loved long hair but couldn't have it because her hair was so thin. I looked at it. It was dyed, in a sassy spiky cut, and looked thin indeed. I remembered someone on LHC saying that you could have short thin hair or you could have long thin hair, but I didn't say it. :wink:

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Well I haven't tried any of those products so I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's snake oil syndrome. There's some misinformation in that blurb, too. For instance, hair at mid-back is 8 years old? What? If you're a giant, maybe....

My hair is thinning, too - has been for years, sigh. It's in my genes, what can you do? I was at a wedding recently and a lady in her 50s approached me to rave about my hair (it was in a simple plait down my back; couldn't put it up because the ceremony was out in the summer sun so I wore a hat), and she was lamenting the fact that she loved long hair but couldn't have it because her hair was so thin. I looked at it. It was dyed, in a sassy spiky cut, and looked thin indeed. I remembered someone on LHC saying that you could have short thin hair or you could have long thin hair, but I didn't say it. :wink:
Your hair is beautiful.

WaitingSoLong
March 15th, 2013, 09:29 AM
she was lamenting the fact that she loved long hair but couldn't have it because her hair was so thin. I looked at it. It was dyed, in a sassy spiky cut, and looked thin indeed. I remembered someone on LHC saying that you could have short thin hair or you could have long thin hair, but I didn't say it. :wink:

I get this comment a lot when people admire my length. "my hair won't grow that long" or can't or something to that affect. After looking at their fried, short hair, I just usually say nothing. Sometimes, if I feel it is ok, I will mention not using heat and chemicals. But usually I just get "oh that still wouldn't work" even though they have likely never tried. I certainly never did before TLHC. In fact I always thought dying your hair improved the condition (strengthened and thickened it- it actually does...for about a month!)

It is amazing to me that people follow beauty-standard advice of dying and trimming every 6 weeks and then complain about lack of hair growth.

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
@waitingsolong --we all are taught to believe that its only because of genetics that a lucky few can grow long hair. I know I thought so. We also are taught that our hair doesn't look good unless its drastically changed--straightened if its curly, curled if its straight, must be a different color..
It's an amazing money-making scheme--and a very successful one.

starlamelissa
March 15th, 2013, 11:01 AM
anti aging? hmm. well I could see a toning shampoo for silver hairs to keep away yellow/brass... maybe a good silicone formula for dryness/detangling.... Or perhaps more mature packaging and fragrance. But I dont see how you can stop yourself from aging, hair or otherwise.

gonzobird
March 15th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I work in a salon as a receptionist and its hilarious the stuff we get in that is "anti aging". Everyone oohs and ahhhs over it, and I have to pretend a bit, (I just dont say anything. I'm not going to promote it, so I keep quiet)

It's extra funny how lots of clients compliment me on my "long and shiny hair" and ask what I use on it. Nothing at our salon, thats for sure, but I can't say that. I tell them I dont color it, use heat, and I slather it in oils, and they are baffled, then say something like, "Ohhhhh, ok. , but I'm too old to do that, you're younger." What is that???? I feel bad sometimes how brainwashed people are into thinking 40$ caviar shampoo will solve all their problems.

Its also crazy there are 18 year olds that I work with that are dying their hair every few weeks. What is their hair going to look like in ten years???

It's all marketing for people who don't take care of their hair.

harpgal
March 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'm guessing there is a real fear about getting older out there and taking advantage of that fear is a good marketing ploy. It is the same ole thing....uninformed folks falling for something. Sad, but true.

I am 64. My hair is 3 inches below my knees. I still have a decent hemline. I don't use a hair dryer, dye my hair, or wash every day. I guess that about says it all.

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I'm guessing there is a real fear about getting older out there and taking advantage of that fear is a good marketing ploy. It is the same ole thing....uninformed folks falling for something. Sad, but true.

I am 64. My hair is 3 inches below my knees. I still have a decent hemline. I don't use a hair dryer, dye my hair, or wash every day. I guess that about says it all.
Wow. Encouraging to hear.

ravenreed
March 15th, 2013, 11:10 PM
My mom's started thinning in her 40's. She also has some other health issues besides just being 70. I think like everything else, some folks are just luckier and have fewer age related hair problems. However, I think it would be unfair to those problems that do have them to minimize how frustrating it would be to deal with them.

jeanniet
March 16th, 2013, 01:55 AM
There are probably some meds that would cause thinning as you age. My mom takes her share of medications, but at 82 her hair is not a whit thinner than it was when I was growing up. In fact, it's probably in better shape because she stopped coloring it 10 or 15 years ago. My aunt did have thinner hair (she died at 85), but hers was colored and permed, so that could have been damage. My mom's hair is short, but she really doesn't do anything to it other than run a comb through. I sure wish I knew what my grandmother in India's hair was like in her 80s.

silverthread
March 16th, 2013, 02:16 PM
My mom's started thinning in her 40's. She also has some other health issues besides just being 70. I think like everything else, some folks are just luckier and have fewer age related hair problems. However, I think it would be unfair to those problems that do have them to minimize how frustrating it would be to deal with them.

I don't understand why you would take offense to what I said. My comment was about what I do and don't do.

chen bao jun
March 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I guess the lesson I am taking away from this is, don't do the damaging things and you have a fighting chance unless you have other issues (or just simply, unlucky genetics). But even if you do have other issues and bad genetics, not doing the damaging things will improve matters.

And, as I originally thought, it does seem likely than many (though not on this forum) are attributing to age damage that is actually NOT age-related and could be easily reversed by--not doing damaging things.

However, it does seem likely that age will catch with most of us--if we live long enough. It doesn't seem that likely (though it is possible) that a person will have thinning hair or dull hair in their 40's (since when is THAT old?), 50's or even 60's but of those who live to their late 70's through 90's, it seems that many, though not 100% will have one or another age related hair issue by then.

It seems that damage that is unrelated to age can be reversed even at quite old ages by stopping the damaging behavior. As I noted, this happened when my grandmother stopped using hair dye in her 80's (hair thickened up a great deal) and another poster has seen the same thing with an older person who stopped hair-dye.

It does NOT seem as if the products touted in the article linked by the OP are anything but a scam.

However, I do feel encouraged after reading this thread.
And think how many of us had bad hair at younger ages from lack of knowledge and didn't know what to do, before LHC. Thank you, LHC!

harpgal
March 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM
...And, as I originally thought, it does seem likely than many (though not on this forum) are attributing to age damage that is actually NOT age-related and could be easily reversed by--not doing damaging things...
I have been a long haired person most of my life and a member here for almost 10 years. Over and over again, I have said that the aging process in and of itself does not always cause thinning hair. There are many other factors that can happen at any age, i.e., medications, hormonal imbalances, female balding syndrome (rare and starting in the 40s), and stress.

Except for a stress shed a couple of years ago, my hair has remained the same thickness (and more because of thicker white strands) as it was in my teens. It really bothers me when folks just give up and think because they are older, they can't/won't have beautiful long hair. Getting older is not a death sentence for a person's hair, not at all.

Y'all have to forgive me this rant, but please don't continue to believe that thinning hair is something we all get just because we are aging. Be sure and check out some of the other factors and never give up! :)

dulce
March 16th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Four years ago I had salon dyed,fried shorter hair that was brittle,breaking,and much thinner.I stopped all dyeing and all damaging practises[eg daily hot blowdryer]I then grew it long[past hip now] and it has thickened up a lot.For me,what I thought was age related hair loss/damage due to menopause has actually turned out to be damage from dyeing and damaging hair practises.I am 61 now and never expected to reverse the condition of my hair. What my hair will be like if I reach 90 ,who knows,but right now am very happy with the changes,I cut my own hair now and no longer bother with salons.This might not work for everyone,but I bet it would work for quite a few.A lot of the dyes and treatments in salons are damaging and if you have fine,delicate textured hair like mine,the hair eventually becomes damaged over time.Even if you have heriditary baldness or other unavoidable problems,how you treat your hair can still make a difference.

silverthread
March 16th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Dulce, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Your hair is an inspiration for me!

chen bao jun
March 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Dulce, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Your hair is an inspiration for me!
Seconding this. Your hair is GORGEOUS, Dulce.

chen bao jun
March 16th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I will be 60 in 4 years. I am aiming for long hair (whatever that turns out to be for me, bra-strap or waist or hip if I'm very very lucky) at 60.
then I intend to enjoy it as long as I can!
Whatever happens, all things being equal, it should be in good condition, because it is in better condition now that it has been since I was 8 (the year my mother decided my curls were too much for her and began sending me to the neighbor to get them fried straight. In those days, it was the hot comb.. shudder, shudder...)
Well, that's all past.

dulce
March 16th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the compliments!It's nice to get, as I'm considered a bit of an oddball where I live due to my hair.All the older ladies here have very short hair[a lot dye],the very, very few that have longer hair[BSL-waist] invariably dye it.So far I haven't seen silver below waist length hair in this area.