PDA

View Full Version : Chelating shampoo?

Kherome
March 13th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Can anyone recommend a good chelating shampoo? What makes it different from, say any old SLS shampoo? Thanks

jeanniet
March 13th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joico makes one that's pretty good. Chelating shampoos are formulated to bind with minerals in your water. In my case, that's mostly iron (well water). I don't use the shampoo often, because I do citric acid rinses and that's a mild chelator. I probably do the Joico a few times a year.

Kherome
March 13th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I ordered a bottle of L'anza sulfate free chelating shampoo. I guess we'll see how it goes! I have well water too.

whylime13
March 13th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I really love Kenra Clarifying shampoo. I've been using it for close to 15 years, usually just once or twice a month I think it's really good at clearing out the buildup from my routine shampoo. Plus it has an awesome grapefruit smell. It does have Sodium Myreth Sulfate, so not good if you are avoiding those.

schweedie
March 14th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Hope it works well for you, Kherome! Like jeanniet I use Joico - we have rather hard water, so I use it maybe every six weeks or so. I really like it, my hair is always super soft after I've used it.

littlestarface
March 14th, 2013, 12:50 AM
How does one know when it is time to chelate? I have very hard water and never done a chelate before. I do use distilled water as last and final rinse.

Mommyof4
March 14th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I'm wondering this too... When do you know?

schweedie
March 14th, 2013, 12:56 AM
How does one know when it is time to chelate? I have very hard water and never done a chelate before. I do use distilled water as last and final rinse.
If you always do a distilled-water rinse, it could be that that's enough for your hair. :) I can usually tell that I need to clarify/chelate when my hair simply stops feeling good. Relentless tangling and it behaving like velcro is a sure sign - if I'm unable to run my fingers through it without them getting caught in tangles five minutes after I brushed it and completely detangled it, it's time to bring out the Joico shampoo.

leslissocool
March 14th, 2013, 01:16 AM
I'm thinking of getting one too now...

RedJen
March 14th, 2013, 02:58 AM
I just used a swimmer's shampoo (ION) the other day. I hope it was chelating enough. Our water has a lot of rust in it and some of my hairs had a strange red hue, different from my usual (our water is rusty enough to turn my dogs' beards red.) It definitely feels nicer today.

WaitingSoLong
March 14th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Hope it works well for you, Kherome! Like jeanniet I use Joico - we have rather hard water, so I use it maybe every six weeks or so. I really like it, my hair is always super soft after I've used it.

This exactly.

I use Joico as well. It removes chlorine (I don't swim but my daughter does), and hard water things and it clarifies like any other clarifying shampoo and doesn't seem to be super harsh. Like Schweedie, my hair is always really soft after I use it.

I lather up and let it set a good 5 minutes. Rinse and repeat, focusing on the last 6 inches of length (older, more brittle hair suffers more from build-up).

I use it when I feel I have build-up, about every 4-6 weeks (I wash twice a week). The fact it chelates as it clarifies just takes care of all of it at once.

I didn't realize how much I needed a chelating shampoo until I used it the first time and WOW what a difference! It is tempting to use it every time but I am afraid it would be too harsh. I follow with my usual conditioner...Pantene Ice Shine...full of cones and my hair loves it. I haven't had splits in over a year.

littlestarface
March 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I think i'm going to get one,just in case. Thank you ladies for the info.