PDA

View Full Version : Trimming!! Tips/Suggestions?

alexis917
March 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM
My ends are starting to split and I am definitely in need of a trim.
I don't feel like going to a salon- I'm not wasting that much money, I have to save up for prom!
I have heard of Feye's Method and plan on using it.
Buuut....
My hair's wavy. Do I do it while it's wet? Do I straighten my hair?
I don't wash daily, so does it make a difference if I trim second day hair?
I have layers that I plan on just S&Ding, as they aren't anywhere near as damaged as my ends.
Do you guys use a specific type of scissors? Is there a brand of shears you like? And how much did they cost?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

lapushka
March 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I have waves. My mom trims it for me using Feye's self-trimming method. We wait until wash day. By then the waves have mostly dropped out, and it can be combed quite smooth. We trim it dry.

rowie
March 13th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I have waves. My mom trims it for me using Feye's self-trimming method. We wait until wash day. By then the waves have mostly dropped out, and it can be combed quite smooth. We trim it dry.

I also have waves, and you are very lucky to have someone do it for you. I usually just S&D, but i'll probably make a trip to the George Micheal Madora salon if I can reach my goal of classic length. I plan to just S&D all the way until I reach my goal and just do protective hairstyles everyday. I got my scissors at Sally's. I don't remember the brand but it was only $20 and it was recommended by the seller in that store I had bought it from.

alexis917
March 13th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I figured waiting until wash day would be best.
I'll try going to Sally's and looking at their scissors!
Also, I lightly oil my ends on a daily basis.
Should I avoid doing that before a trim? I'm worried I'll gunk up the scissors.

GrowingGlory
March 13th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Please don't ruin a nice head of hair with a crooked self-trim just before the prom. Spend on a hair cut instead of scissors, please. :twocents:

chen bao jun
March 13th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Crea clip and my scissors came with a hair cutting kit my husband bought to cut my sons' hair.

Naiadryade
March 13th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Feye's method works. You should always use sharp hair scissors that have only ever been used to cut hair, otherwise you could cause damage. I got my scissors at CVS... Tweezerman Ltd deluxe hair cutting shears. They were $10 or $20, simple but sharp, and they come with free sharpening for life.

DancingQueen
March 14th, 2013, 01:30 AM
I invested in a crea clip (it is a bit like feyes method, but more accurate, and way easier), and a pair of hair scissors. I let my mom cut my hair, even though I could probably do it myself. I think saloons it way too expensive as well, and this thing saves me between 300 and 375 dollars a year!

kidari
March 14th, 2013, 03:17 AM
They sell hair cutting scissors at any drugstore and places like Target in the hair section next to the brushes and combs. I just have a Conair one... I might buy nicer ones from Sally's or another beauty supply store in the future. Just make sure that you only use your scissors for your hair and nothing else. You can probably clean them once in a while by swiping down the blades with some rubbing alcohol if you're worried about gunk getting on them. I use a Creaclip as well. There are many different methods for using it. If you want a more straight hemline you could probably have someone cut it for you from the back. Or use Feye's method with the Creaclip.

cranberrymoonz
March 14th, 2013, 03:57 AM
If you don't want any layers or fringe, self trimming is pretty easy. If your hair is about BSL or longer it's easier because you're able to look at your ends without getting a headache. I cut my hair myself with 25 euro scissors from a beauty supply and feyes method. I recommend good quality shears because they're sharper. The slight V cut is very doable, but it's harder to bring the back of the hair over your shoulder for a sraight-accross cut or to change your V into a U shape. So i'd suggest a crea clip for that or just someone else trimming the last bits of the ponytail of after you've put the elastic in at the bottom. You may need to invest a little in shears and possibly a crea clip, but you'll save a lot on salon costs;) Good luck!