PDA

View Full Version : Tough decision to make

dragonmyst
March 13th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I discovered, much to my horror, that I have splits again. **sigh** My hair is about 4 inches from classic and I discovered that the splits are almost to my shoulder. Now I've been trying to do S&D, but it doesn't seem to be helping. My hair IS dry and today is going to be spent looking through threads here for treatments I can try to help nourish it. But....

I have splits. To my shoulders, possibly higher. (our recent move and chaos surrounding it left me unable to treat my hair the way I should). It's my own damn fault I accept that.

So I could try to keep up the s&d's, try treatments. I could (probably should) just hack it off and try again. I've seen that advice plenty of times. As reluctant as I am to lose that length, my hair is soo...sooo dry crackly, split, mats easily, it just.... I don't think it's worth keeping it this long if it is obviously not healthy.

I've been thinking about this for several months. Trying this and that to 'save it' but I think the splits really finalized this.

The plan is to go to a salon and get it chopped and styled. Possibly next payday. Hubby pointed out my hair will grow back. And I can get back to my routines with virgin hair and no splits and restart my long hair journey.

I will try not to cry about it. **sigh**

torrilin
March 13th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I'm not sure a chop to your shoulders is really necessary. My hair is very fine and my scalp is pretty dry, so my hair is naturally more split prone than yours. It's also a lot more tangle prone and breakage prone. Yes, there will always be *some* splits in my hair, and totally split free is not a realistic goal for me. But keeping things down to a tolerable level is *very* doable.

If the splits are clustering in particular locks of hair, just trim off the splitty locks with sharp scissors that are used for hair only. Give yourself around 1/2" or 1cm of "healthy" hair to trim off with the splits as a buffer. You may also find that splits cluster at particular regions in your length, like BSL level or shoulder level. It may take a 3-6 months of aggressively trimming out splits to start seeing patterns to how they form. Going through hair by hair isn't necessary, and it can be pretty crazy making. Working hair by hair tends to make it seem like your hair has a lot of splits, whether that's true or not.

If your hair is sensitive to heat or chemical damage, you may also find it worthwhile to do a straight trim. This is most useful when splits are clustering near the ends of your hair, or if you are finding that uneven growth leads to a lot of tangle formation at the very ends. Even if it feels like your hair is horribly damaged, it can wind up that a 1/2" or 1" trim can produce a really marked improvement in how many tangles you get. Even allowing for the shed/regrowth cycle and my stupidly breakable hair, it's pretty rare for me to need even a 3-4" trim to kill the vast majority of splits. A lot of the time I get better results by trimming 1/2" every month for a couple months rather than 3" all at once.

My hair grows pretty fast, and I definitely favor lack of damage over length. And I am definitely inclined to the school of just cut all the damage off already. Even so, given that you're typing as a m/c, I *really* doubt that things are all that bad. You can always cut off more later if it's necessary. Cutting more is very easy. But even with my growth being able to hit 9" in a year and 3" not meaning all that much in practical terms... I'm still not going to pick a 3" cut if 1" will do the job.

Kaelee
March 13th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I think everyone has splits. I have splits on the left side especially (I have OCD and tend to pick at them...my solution is to wear it back and NOT LOOK AT MY ENDS unless I have scissors in hand for S&D). My hair is in great condition otherwise.

Unless it's really, really bad I wouldn't chop.

Salmonberry
March 13th, 2013, 09:40 AM
So sorry you're dealing with this. If you really, really don't want to have to cut and start over, then there is something else you could try. With traditional S&D it can be very tedious and time consuming to find splits up the length of your hair. I recently read about a method that makes it easier to cut off splits up the length without having to actually cut off any length. You twist your hair into sections about the thickness of a pencil. Twist one section at a time. As you twist, loose ends will start to poke out of the twist. Gently run your fingers up the section once it's twisted to loosen up any other ends. Take some sharp S&D scissors and cut off all of the loose ends poking out. If a lot of your ends are split, there's no point in trying to determine which ends are split and which are not. Just cut off all of the poking out strands. Do this to your whole head of hair. You will lose minimal length/thickness, but hopefully this will improve the feel of your hair. I'd say, try this once a week or as often as you can stand doing it. You won't be able to trim all of the ends the first time through as some will still be imbedded within the twists. Do it regularly until you see a significant improvement. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've heard good things about it. I'm going to do this the next time I start seeing lots of splits and don't want to get a full trim.

You could also try maintaining your length for a while by doing monthly trims. Just trim the amount you grow each month. You'll be cutting off the damage slowly so it won't seem as drastic as a bit cut.

Naiadryade
March 13th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Don't do it! It's really not necessary!

My hair is BSL, and I recently did a huge S&D session after neglecting my hair and allowing it to get damaged for 9 months or so. I had splits all the way up to my ears! There was immediately a HUGE difference in the way my hair looked and felt. I've kept up with a little S&D every day, since my hair is split-prone and new ones form all the time--I keep sharp hair scissors at my desk and just trim splits as I notice them, and sometimes go over my twin braids before taking them out--and I am SO much happier with my hair now. It doesn't tangle so much and it looks and feels so much smoother. It's really worth it! I only lost 1/2 an inch of length, when to just cut all the hair that was at the same level as any splits would have brought me all the way back to where I started at earlobe 7 years ago. Shoulder if I was conservative about it. I'm really glad I went the S&D route. You can read the thread about it and see pictures here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110709).

Yes, it took a long time to find and remove them all, which my OCD brain is particularly suited to... but you could also just dedicate an hour to it every day (while watching TV or something), and I bet you'd see a big difference within a week or two.

And dry hair is really not irreversible, even if it's been dry for a long time. You just need to find the right routine to nourish and moisturize it properly! My hair is dry too, and until this week I've been struggling to keep up with oiling my ends to keep them from feeling dry... but I just started using Shea Moisture's "deep treatment masque" as a leave-in on dry hair, and the difference is astounding. My ends actually feel soft, silky and moisturized--not just coated in oil! And it seems like I'm not getting splits as fast, either.

Good luck!

goldloli
March 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I agree it seems unnecessary and I think will lead to disappointment in the event it grows back with just as many splits.

Some hair is split prone, especially so if you're fine and straight or wavy/curly with mixed texture. I'm have 2c in my hairtype also and it splits over nothing despite being virgin. I've cut back many times for healthier ends and they just split again, now i leave them to take damage and just keep on top of the problem with S&D and microtrims. When I get to my goal I'll hack off all those ends. I will admit that I have to do at least 1x weekly s&d to prevent them traveling and tangling, it's painstaking but i figure chopping off and starting again would be moreso.

Anyway enough of a novel, perhaps consider an initial few inch chop and then S&D. Your hair certainly doesn't look unhealthy and it's very rare for people to have split free hair, it might be unattainable for you. Also maybe there is something in your routine and handling that is making the situation worse?

jacqueline101
March 13th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I think we are all split end prone. We will have have to s&d more. I'm also learning that lesson. I mineral oil after I trim. Moisture is good.

Chromis
March 13th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I too advocate trimming the splits. It makes an enormous difference. Do make sure you have good sharp scissors that are only used for hair or else you'll make more splits. (Trust me, I've made the mistake for you!) It can make a really dramatic difference. I'm also a fan of dusting the ends if I see a lot of splits there or to even the hemline, but really most of my splits are throughout the hair. I think some of us are just cursed. The right washing routine and oils make a huge change in how my hair behaves. If I skip my acid rinse for example, even for one wash, my hair snarls, matts, and is hard to even fingercomb without feeling a lot of drag and pulling of hairs. (This held true even when I tried "normal" sulphate shampoo and cone-y conditioner, not just my beloved shampoo bars even though acid rinses are often associated with that washing method.) You might also try chelating, in case you simply have a lot of build up. Club soda works well for me to do this and is darn cheap.

If you do decide to chop, I would *not* have it cut all the way to shoulder! I'd recommend only up to bsl so you can still put it up. More protective, plus much cooler in the summer.

sisi33
March 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Have you thought about adding 'cones? They could help with the tangles, and you could add them after moisture treatments. Just a thought, if you haven't set yourself on a cut, yet!

dragonmyst
March 13th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Have you thought about adding 'cones? They could help with the tangles, and you could add them after moisture treatments. Just a thought, if you haven't set yourself on a cut, yet!

I started using cones again in the hopes it would help. So far I haven't noticed that much of a difference.

Wow, folks, thank you all for your input. I REALLY appreciate it **Seriously I have tears in my eyes**. It would be two weeks at the soonest before I'd go and get it done. I did just get some hair scissors.

I really have to start all over with my routine (it got dropped in the move and not picked back up). Thank you. No really, thank you for the suggestions, the advice and words of encouragement. Gave me some things to think over. (and my husband is cheering too). Will try an acv rinse I just realized I don't remember the last time I did it!

hmmm...time to make a list. Thank you again.

trolleypup
March 13th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Don't do it! It's really not necessary!

My hair is BSL, and I recently did a huge S&D session after neglecting my hair and allowing it to get damaged for 9 months or so. I had splits all the way up to my ears! There was immediately a HUGE difference in the way my hair looked and felt. I've kept up with a little S&D every day, since my hair is split-prone and new ones form all the time--I keep sharp hair scissors at my desk and just trim splits as I notice them, and sometimes go over my twin braids before taking them out--and I am SO much happier with my hair now. It doesn't tangle so much and it looks and feels so much smoother. It's really worth it! I only lost 1/2 an inch of length, when to just cut all the hair that was at the same level as any splits would have brought me all the way back to where I started at earlobe 7 years ago. Shoulder if I was conservative about it. I'm really glad I went the S&D route. You can read the thread about it and see pictures here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110709).

Yes, it took a long time to find and remove them all, which my OCD brain is particularly suited to... but you could also just dedicate an hour to it every day (while watching TV or something), and I bet you'd see a big difference within a week or two.
I can tell when I've gone too long between S&D sessions...my hair, and especially my ends gets tangle prone and rough feeling. The first rough go 'round removing the absolute worst sticking out "ferns" and "brushes" and other disasters makes a amazing difference...then the recurring S&D sessions really help with smoothness.

Naiadryade
March 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM
:grouphug: :cheer:

Another thing--how often do you wear your hair down? I really love wearing my hair down, but I have had to admit to myself that with hair as split-prone as mine, wearing it up, especially at strategic moments, makes a HUGE difference in how much damage accrues in my hair. I still wear it down whenever I can, but I put it up during any activities that will increase friction/tangles or I pay the price. Last week I made the mistake of leaving it down for a few hours while playing with a couple of rambunctious kids. I was appalled when I saw the enormous number of splits right after that; it took me days to get rid of them! Last night, I fell asleep before I braided my hair... and sheesh, I am not having fun with the S&D today. Protection is key!

Thinthondiel
March 13th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Dry, "crackly" and split-prone is exactly how my hair was until a couple of days ago. Mine was also velcro-y - is yours? The fact that the hairs kept sticking together (even after s&d-ing) and that moisture didn't help my ends led me to believe it might be build-up of some sort, so I clarified and chelated and then moisturised... and now my ends are soft. I think it may have been the chelating that did it, because I've clarified before when I've had this problem, without any luck.

I don't know yet if my hair will keep splitting at the same rate as it did, but I assume it won't, since the hairs don't "velcro" together now and I can brush my hair easily without snapping loads of hairs.

ETA: An acidic rinse (I used lemon juice, since I can't stand the smell of ACV) worked temporarily for me, but what really helped in the end was using the clarifying/chelating shampoo.

dulce
March 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I agree a cut is not necessary! Condition well daily,put away your brush[brushing is very hard on your hair]and use a wide tooth comb and trim monthly.No dyes,flat irons or hot blowdryers.Your hair won't fall off your head because of splits.Baby it and trim monthly,it does work. I hate to say it but I find people in general are a little too worried about splits .

patienceneeded
March 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM
My hair LOVES to split and I just S&D when I get a chance, keep it well-conditioned, and generally ignore them. I've found I'm the only one who notices them, nobody else has ever commented on splits, even my hair stylist. I wear my hair up often, but not daily and just live with the splits. I'm hoping that once my hair is all virgin (2+ more years) I won't find so many, but for now I'm growing what I've got and trimming splits when I notice them. Don't chop your hair, get small trims every few weeks/months and baby your ends. It will be just fine.

irisheyes
March 13th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I also live in Pennsylvania, near Lancaster. Maybe the weather is partly to blame. I have noticed the drying effect of low humidity on my hair this winter. My hair can get very brittle and snap when combing or brushing. I never get splits, but I got a few white dots where the hair broke off about 1/2 inch from the ends. That never happened before! I had to put trays of water around the house for humidity just a few days ago. My skin was so dry, it felt like sandpaper. I have been watching humidity levels because I get frizzy hair. Now I have to watch for low humidity because of dryness.

Fethenwen
March 13th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Dry, "crackly" and split-prone is exactly how my hair was until a couple of days ago. Mine was also velcro-y - is yours? The fact that the hairs kept sticking together (even after s&d-ing) and that moisture didn't help my ends led me to believe it might be build-up of some sort, so I clarified and chelated and then moisturised... and now my ends are soft. I think it may have been the chelating that did it, because I've clarified before when I've had this problem, without any luck.

I don't know yet if my hair will keep splitting at the same rate as it did, but I assume it won't, since the hairs don't "velcro" together now and I can brush my hair easily without snapping loads of hairs.

ETA: An acidic rinse (I used lemon juice, since I can't stand the smell of ACV) worked temporarily for me, but what really helped in the end was using the clarifying/chelating shampoo.
Yes, this. You might also just have a build-up problem. I'll prescribe to you :deal: some good clarifying wash (preferably a chelating shampoo), a moisturizing treatment and a thorough S&D session.

I'm sure your hair is very much saveable, I'm quite sure that you wont have to chop it all off. *hugs*

Kherome
March 13th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Why not just cut *some* hair, like say, 4 to 5 inches rather than all the way to your shoulders? Then S&D and be nice to your hair.

Sharysa
March 13th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Even after nearly half a year at LHC and Untamed Tresses, my hair is just as split-prone as it ever was. I braid frequently, oil my hair and especially the ends, I'm pretty damn close to finger-comb only, and my hair is as coarse as it comes. Still lots of splits come the new moon, and I usually spend at least a couple of hours S&Ding. But luckily, nobody really notices but me.

dragonmyst
March 28th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Wanted to give an update with a huge thank you to all of you for your suggestions, advice, and words of encouragement. I apologize for not coming back over here sooner (we have 8 kids and got tromped by flu. it was naaaaaasty) I do deeply appreciate the advice I received.

I sat down and rewrote out what the routine was that I'd had success with before. Did an ACV rinse that night that I posted this and the difference is amazing. I picked up some clarifying/chelating shampoo (Nuetrogena anti-residue formula) and I got some Tresemme nourishing rituals serum which I used to use years ago. The difference is amazing. I've been doing S&D sessions, just a few min at a time (see the 8 kids comment, I have a lot of distractions here lol) and braiding my hair at night. I plan on getting a cloth sleeping cap thingy for night, but that will have to wait on funds. I did trim about 1 inch off the bottom which was really split and bad and it looks better to me. I also got a new widetoothed comb.

Something else I realized, my usual hairstyle, tossing it up in a bun with one hairstick holding it, is no longer working. it's falling out! So that's my next mission, trying new hairstyles.

this will be fun! :D

Thank you again. All of you. You guys are awesome. :)

Naiadryade
March 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM
It's great to hear you're having a better time with your hair! Congratulations! And 8 kids, wow, that deserves extra congratulations!!

I've found that just a few minutes of S&D a day make a big difference for me. Hope it does the same for you.

And check out Torrinpaige on youtube for hairstyles. She's great.

dragonmyst
March 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM
:D I've subscribed to her and JJJlonghair and have been cruising their vids for hairstyle ideas :D

Anje
March 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Yes, this. You might also just have a build-up problem. I'll prescribe to you :deal: some good clarifying wash (preferably a chelating shampoo), a moisturizing treatment and a thorough S&D session.

I'm sure your hair is very much saveable, I'm quite sure that you wont have to chop it all off. *hugs*

Definitely this. Also, if you still have nasty ends that snarl as fast as you detangle even after clarifying/chelating, don't discount the possibility of protein buildup. Not everyone has to contend with it, but those who have know it's bad. Heavy moisturizing treatments every time you need to wash (or even more often) were what solved it for me, but even then it took a few weeks.

dragonmyst
March 28th, 2013, 08:33 PM
oooo good point there, thank you! :)

boudica
March 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
A couple of years back, I moved from a rainy climate to the desert, and my hair just freaked out. It became much more porous, and the dye that used to make chestnut brown suddenly started giving me black. Lots more flyaways. Lots more splits.

I got some kiddie scissors that I keep in the car for long lights because the light there seems to be great for S&D. I moisturize all the time and use oil post-shower. Also, most conditioners are emulsifiers, and you can add oil to your coinditioner as well. Look for serious moisture.

Good luck! Don't chop your hair!