PDA

View Full Version : Help me doing a dye plan for my hair please :)

Khristopher
March 12th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Hello people! How are your lovely locks tonight?
I was wondering if I can get a hand with this. On August last year was my last dye. My natural hair color is dark brown, almost black and I dyed it auburn with a box dye. I have almost 10 cm of new growth, and the rest is a bit faded (doesn't look bad at all, but it's not kind of a vibrant color as before). So I was thinking of doing a retouch but trying to minimize the damage.
The dye I used (garnier nutrisse, for dark coloured hair) is permanent and needs peroxide. Is a coconut oil soaking overnight good for it? And for maintaining the color, should I use vegetal dye such as manic panic? (I don't have that brand here but something similar, just an example). What shoud I use/avoid?
I know the previous dye caused breakage at the ends, I want to prevent it as much as possible. Please share your tips and tricks!

TheMechaGinger
March 13th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Well if you're going for auburn you can always give henna a shot, but if you want to stick with box dyes I would definitely go with the coconut oil soak. And if you can find manic panic to match your color I'd go for it! Anything to stretch your time between dyes is a good thing.

Khristopher
March 15th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I would love to try henna, but I don't know how to get it here. International shipping is not really an option because I don't own a credit card nor a banck account. I found this (http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-452189932-pelo-fuerte-y-brillante-con-henna-weleda-coloracion-natural-_JM) but I'm in doubt if it's good quality and 60g seems too little for me :/ nevermind it's pricey.
But thank you TheMechaGinger, I'll go buy some coconut oil and deposit dye right away :)

Khiwanean
March 15th, 2013, 01:54 PM
If your hair is that dark, you probably won't have much luck with vegetable dyes or henna unless you're happy with just a auburn-ish sheen. Coconut oil would help with the boxed dye, but do it the night before so it has time to soak in, otherwise it can make the dye take unevenly.

jojo
March 16th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Coconut oiling before is an excellent plan, just dye straight over the oil. Good luck.

Khristopher
April 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
UPDATE!!
So, last sunday my brother was a sweetheart and dyed my hair. I did the soak the night before, but I don't feel any big difference to previous dye aplications whitout it. Maybe it will show over time? Well my hair seems to be in good condition, a bit thinner and not as heavy as before, but I guess it's the sacrifice I must do to have a pretty color :/
My only problem is that I think I left the dye on my length too much (about 20 minutes) and now the length is almost black while the roots are the color they're suposed to be, dark red.
What should I do? Shampoo/baking soda on lengths to get a bit of dye out? Honey lightening? Just wait?
Sorry, no pics because my celphone camera is pretty crappy and doesn't show the color. I'm a bit frustated right now... *sigh*