PDA

View Full Version : thinking of a big cut.

cleanbug
March 12th, 2013, 12:26 PM
so, been fantasizing about cutting my hair for a while. thinking of a graduated bob like this.http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/cleanbug/dana_bailey_profile.jpg
here's another view http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/cleanbug/737fd65d65e08ad7faba494725dc0abb.jpg
feel like i need a change. worried that i'll regret it. been thinking about it for months (since last fall). i think its time to finally take the plunge. :)

SugarPlumDreams
March 12th, 2013, 12:32 PM
It'd look cute on you! Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

GrowingOut
March 12th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Well, you say you've been thinking about it for months.

I'm sure it will look lovely on you, same as anything else! :)

If you wind up not liking it, grow it out again with fresh ends!

So... My advice. GO FOR IT~! :D

Kherome
March 12th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I love that cut. If you want it, get it. You can always grow it back out later.

patienceneeded
March 12th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I had that cut for a while and LOVED it. If that's what you want, you should go for it! You can always grow it out again if you desire. Have fun!

RavenBaby
March 12th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Nice website! I think you should do it if you feel very strongly, maybe cut halfway up to the bob and see what you feel about the shorter length then take the full plunge and cut right up to the bob length, just in the small chance that after the first cut you will feel like you miss the length. That's what I would do unless I was 100% sure.

spidermom
March 12th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Why not? We often regret things we didn't do even more than things we did do and didn't like.

WaitingSoLong
March 12th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I think you have the face for it. I would just caution, if you have never had your hair that short, you may find out like I did when I chopped my hair back in 1998 that I have a bad cowlick in the back of my head I could never get my hair to lay flat when it was that short.

Otherwise, go for it.

RavennaNight
March 12th, 2013, 02:56 PM
If you really like it and have really thought about it, then go for it. I had one of those cuts once, but I decided it wasn't for me and found LHC ;). It was good for me, because I chopped off some really damaged hair. Enjoy it, whatever you decide :flower:

SleepyTangles
March 12th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I think it would work perfectly with your hair texture. Mine is pretty different, so bobbed hair don't work on me, but I believe that for you it will be a success!
I'll wait for photos :o

HylianGirl
March 12th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I know it sounds weird for a LHCer to say it, but if you don't like it you can grow it back. I've recentelly been thinking kinda the same thing except I'm considering hennaing my hair, I decided that if I never do it, I'll never know what it's like, and since hair grows back, why not?

ghost
March 12th, 2013, 03:14 PM
It's a very cute cut, and is flattering on a lot of people. If you've been thinking about it for months and still really want it, go for it!

akilina
March 12th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I also say..if its what you truly want then go for it!!
I think people should do with their hair, what makes them happy!! If you are unhappy with your hair, and would be happier with it a different way I say change it.

lapushka
March 12th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Before you go from a very long length, or a longer length to a very short length, try and have a trim first, even a more major trim. You'll see how you feel about having less length all of a sudden. Then go shorter if you still feel like it. Otherwise, you might regret it as it is a pretty drastic cut.

cwarren
March 12th, 2013, 06:52 PM
How fast does your hair grow? If you're one of those people who get an inch a month, then I would say definitely go for it; if you don't like it, it'll grow back and if you do like it, you can maintain it :)

That style would look nice on you.

Jesabel
March 12th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Another here who says go for it if it's what you want :) I recently cut my waist length hair to shoulder (a lot of that was because it was damaged and I was sick of the old hair dye) and because I had been wanting to try shorter hair and figured why not now! I do want to grow my hair again but I don't regret cutting it, I know that short hair suits me if I ever want to cut it again :D

Oh and in terms of cutting it off straight away, I did start cutting it bit by bit myself until I went to the hairdresser to get it properly chopped off so I knew I definitely wanted it that short.

Marcellaa
March 13th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I would also advice you to ease into it, so first cut a little bit and if you like it, cut more! Goodluck with whatever you decide :)

cleanbug
March 13th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Why not? We often regret things we didn't do even more than things we did do and didn't like.
oooh! we regret the things we didn't do more than the things we did do and didnt like. deep! i like that

cleanbug
March 13th, 2013, 06:56 AM
thanks, i actually had my hair as short as a pixie about 5 years ago. i dont think i have any cowlicks but i know how long it takes to get back the length. i think that i am finally ready for a change and most likely wil grow it out again someday. i want wash and go hair again for a while anyway :)
I think you have the face for it. I would just caution, if you have never had your hair that short, you may find out like I did when I chopped my hair back in 1998 that I have a bad cowlick in the back of my head I could never get my hair to lay flat when it was that short.

Otherwise, go for it.

cleanbug
March 13th, 2013, 06:59 AM
absolutely! i love henna.. you wont be sorry.
I know it sounds weird for a LHCer to say it, but if you don't like it you can grow it back. I've recentelly been thinking kinda the same thing except I'm considering hennaing my hair, I decided that if I never do it, I'll never know what it's like, and since hair grows back, why not?

cleanbug
March 13th, 2013, 07:03 AM
all great advice everyone. about 6 months ago, i did a self trim and cut off about 4 inches. it was just past the shoulder after and that length has mostly grown back now.i thought it would satisfy my need to cut but still googling "graduated bobs" almost daily. LOL. im thinking, i must be ready. i guess you never know totally how you will feel til its done but i think i'd be ok with it. :)
Before you go from a very long length, or a longer length to a very short length, try and have a trim first, even a more major trim. You'll see how you feel about having less length all of a sudden. Then go shorter if you still feel like it. Otherwise, you might regret it as it is a pretty drastic cut.

cleanbug
March 13th, 2013, 07:08 AM
i too want to try shorter hair for a few reasons. i dont have hair dye to cut out but im just tired of always wearing it up. my face is sort of oblong and a shorter cut would probably suit my face better. im also tired of it getting stuck in seatbelts, etc. im at the gym almost daily and groom dogs for a living so it is almost never down except weekends. i think if it was shorter, i wash & wear it. it would be off my neck at the gym & i could still clip the bangs back if they are in the way.
Another here who says go for it if it's what you want :) I recently cut my waist length hair to shoulder (a lot of that was because it was damaged and I was sick of the old hair dye) and because I had been wanting to try shorter hair and figured why not now! I do want to grow my hair again but I don't regret cutting it, I know that short hair suits me if I ever want to cut it again :D

Oh and in terms of cutting it off straight away, I did start cutting it bit by bit myself until I went to the hairdresser to get it properly chopped off so I knew I definitely wanted it that short.

MiaBeth
March 13th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Whoa, that lady has some major muscles : ) If you've been thinking about if for months, then why not take the plunge? Hair grows back!

UltraBella
March 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I have a graduated bob right now, but a longer version. If you want to see it, I have a current thread here on the main forum that should be pretty easy to find. I am really loving it and I don't regret cutting it at all, not for a second. I think you'd look great and if you go for it, please don't forget our pictures !! I can't wait to see it :)

jacqueline101
March 13th, 2013, 10:21 AM
It would look good on you. If you want to try it go for it.

cleanbug
March 13th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Ooh! You should post a pic of the back! I saw your thread but didn't realize it was shorter in the back. Looks awesome on you by the way.

Kyla
March 13th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I also think you should do it, it's a very cute style. :) Good luck, have fun and post pics when you get it done!

DakarNick
March 25th, 2013, 07:07 PM
So, what have you decided? I think you'd look great with an inverted bob!

spidermom
March 25th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Soooooooooo............did you cut it?

Thank you for your comments on my hair cutting thread. I've decided yes to layers but to only give up 1 inch in length. Now I have to decide if I want to do it at my next appointment (April 6) or wait until I'm back from my trip to Mexico (after June 1). I'm leaning toward April 6.

WaitingSoLong
March 26th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Not to hijack the thread but, Spidermom, I would do it before Mexico!

browneyedsusan
March 26th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Snooped through your tripod site, and see you've had it short before. Did you like it then?
It's your hair. Do what you want! It'll grow back. It always does. :)

LadyLongLocks
March 26th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Wow...that was the cut I had at an early age that made me vow to never have short hair again! My hair just looked terrible with that cut. I guess it was too thick and straight.

spidermom
March 26th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Wow...that was the cut I had at an early age that made me vow to never have short hair again! My hair just looked terrible with that cut. I guess it was too thick and straight.

Same for me, except that my hair was so unruly and BIG and it doesn't suit my face-shape (pumpkin face). It sounds like it suits you, though, cleanbug.

long
March 26th, 2013, 10:46 AM
It seems like that style needs more styling (blow drying) for some hair types to lay well. So if you are prepared for that it could be great. It is cute and stylish.

Sunny_side_up
March 26th, 2013, 03:23 PM
There's a lady at work who recently got that style, she got alot of compliments. Though do recall her saying she does blow dry quite a bit in the mornin after a wash to get rid of an 'annoying kink' that her hair wants to form. If you feel like a change go for it, and cool if it suits yor hair type :) If i go for a change, its gonna be a haircut that i wont spend much time sorting(just brush n go):p but i have generally liked 'messy' looks when it comes to a hairstyle and low maintenance is something playing on my mind...

cleanbug
March 29th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Well, my fitness comp is over now. trainer recommended that i keep my hair long until the comp was over as feminine beauty does play into final placings along with muscle definition and conditioning. i am free to do what i want now but hubby really likes it long. I've been fantasizing about this angled bob for about 6 months now so maybe I'll just have to sneak out and get it cut! i'm a little hesitant to cut it simply because i think most women feel their prettiest when they have long hair but i think the bob would look really edgy & awesome too :)

So, what have you decided? I think you'd look great with an inverted bob!

cleanbug
March 29th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hi there, yup....had it short before. just want to keep hubby happy too. he loved it short once he was used to it but now that its long, he's having a hard time letting the thought of it long go. i think an angled bob would be cute and closer to growing it long again (than that pixie was )

Snooped through your tripod site, and see you've had it short before. Did you like it then?
It's your hair. Do what you want! It'll grow back. It always does. :)

cleanbug
March 29th, 2013, 07:20 PM
here's a pic of me when i had a bob, of sorts. http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/cleanbug/408279_10150419034221542_1122428041_n.jpgat that time, i was growing out a pixie so there was no "angled" aspect to it. it was actually layered in the front. this time, i'd like to do something a little more deliberate. such as this. hope the pics work!
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/cleanbug/080514ivyqueen_595_watermark-text.jpg

utdesertrunner
March 29th, 2013, 08:15 PM
It would look great on you! After months of thought it sounds like something you really want to do. Go for it...you can always re-grow if you need a new change. I have had my hair that short and it was easy and fun.

Addy
March 29th, 2013, 09:50 PM
I have this cut right now and I need to blow it out when I leave the house because it wants to go nuts when air dried! I hate it! lol

cleanbug
March 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Oh no! do you hate the cut or do you hate that "it wants to go nuts" if air dried?
I have this cut right now and I need to blow it out when I leave the house because it wants to go nuts when air dried! I hate it! lol

Addy
March 29th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Both! I had to cut my waist length hair off because I tried lifting the darkest brown box dye to go red. I did a strand test and although it did great while sitting on the sink, something went terribly wrong when I put it on my length and it reacted with my body heat. I didn't even let it on for as long as the strand test was done. Lets just say I damn near fried it off. It was stretchy and just horribly thinning and breaking off when dry. I pampered it for 3 weeks trying to save it to no avail. I had to cut it short (chin length) and now I'm forced to blow it out because it wants to do it's thing and I want it smooth! So now what I'm doing is letting it almost air dry, using a round brush on low heat to smooth it out and maybe once I get some more regrowth in the next few months, I'll pixie it and get rid of this nightmare of mine and never touch dye again. I'm still losing hair like crazy in the shower and pulling a round brush through it at this delicate stage is just not helping ya know? I should have left well enough alone. It wasn't worth the red I used to have. :(

Charybdis
March 30th, 2013, 03:00 AM
I've had a chin-length angled bob like that before and enjoyed it, but I did find I had to wash and blow-dry pretty much every day at shorter lengths. (Closer to shoulder, I could dry it curly with a diffuser and wash every 2-3 days, touching up with curling iron as needed.) My hair is a lot like Spidermom's (thick, wavy, a bunch of different hair textures), so the trick to making the cut work was HEAVY use of thinning shears. Done right, it looked good.

It was a fun cut, but I wouldn't really call it lower maintenance than long hair, just different. Instead of detangling sessions and time-consuming washes twice a week, it was having to wash and spend time with the blow dryer and/or curling iron every day. And it needed a trim every 6-7 weeks to keep its shape.

It was pretty easy to grow out while continuing to trim; just a matter of allowing the back to gradually catch up with the front, and then allowing more time between trims once the angled effect had been reduced. Much simpler to grow out than a pixie, for sure.

cleanbug
April 2nd, 2013, 06:29 AM
ok, after about 6 months of bouncing the idea around, i finally made an appt for next wednesday. so excited. i have a great stylist who is awesome. if i tire of it, in about 1.5 years, it'll be back to my current length :)

DakarNick
April 2nd, 2013, 09:49 PM
Awesome, please post pics!

DakarNick
April 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Good luck tomorrow! Please keep us updated :)

spirals
April 9th, 2013, 10:23 PM
I have always liked bobs. I love the clean edge and the simplicity of style that lets color and shine, shine. Remember how cute Courtney Cox looked with a bob on Friends? And then Jen Aniston? If you have the hair type for it, go for it.

UltraBella
April 10th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I'm so excited !!!! Can't wait to see it :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 10th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Show us when it's done!:)

long&blonde
April 10th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Love the cut!
Good luck if you go for it!
Looks like it'd grow out beautifully too.

UltraBella
April 12th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Soooooooooooooooooooooo ???????? Cleanbug, did you cut it ??

blondie9912
April 12th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Do it!! I just cut my hair into a bob last night, and it feels awesome to have the scraggly ends gone! I recommend, and you definitely have the face for it!

Lostsoule77
April 12th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Results? :)

mrs_coffee
April 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Okay, I'm dying to see the cut. I love short hair. UltraBella, yours looks fantastic!

aet2009
April 14th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I guess it depends on the texture of your hair...mine never looks good short without heat!

UltraBella
April 15th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Where are you, Cleanbug ?!?!? We're still waiting !!

Agnieszka
April 15th, 2013, 12:36 AM
I hope everything went well with the cut...

Quahatundightu
April 15th, 2013, 04:00 AM
I'm also wondering how it went! I think the style will look awesome on you. I might be a longhair myself, but I just love seeing new cuts :)

Sinnamon
April 16th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I'm in this ship too.. I almost have fingertip length hair and I want to cut it this style too. I look foward to your photo!

spidermom
April 16th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Cleanbug! Inquiring minds need to know!

DakarNick
April 16th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hopefully she's just on vacation or something :)

leslissocool
April 16th, 2013, 06:46 PM
MMmhm I'm going against the current and say I really like the look of long hair on you! I peeked at your tripod too :lol:.

I'm going to be even more daring and say I personally think long hair makes you look very youthful. Although the short cut is a lot more edgy, it's just my preference and my (possibly unwanted) opinion.

ibleedlipstick
April 17th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I'm super curious too! I've been contemplating a similar cut and want to see some action shots.

Angelica
April 17th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I just love long hair full stop. That's why I came on this forum. I can't believe how many long hairs are thinking of cutting off their lovely locks. Hair takes years to grow and short hair to me looks so samey.

jeanniet
April 17th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Sometimes people just want a change, or they want to start with virgin hair and are cutting damage off. We have members who are life-long longhairs, some who are growing from bald, some who were long, then short, then long again--all kinds! For some, the growing itself is what's most fun, so they don't mind cutting and growing again. Since the OP has been thinking about this cut for months, I have to assume she was really ready for it. :)

cleanbug
April 18th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Sorry everyone. its been really busy and i forgot to post pics! i love my new cut. hopefully the picture code below works :) Might go slightly shorter next time so its not on my neck right away.
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/cleanbug/ScreenShot2013-04-18at91342AM.png (http://s980.photobucket.com/user/cleanbug/media/ScreenShot2013-04-18at91342AM.png.html)

Kherome
April 18th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Looks great! (I think it makes you look younger)

cleanbug
April 18th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Looks great! (I think it makes you look younger)

Thanks. That is the first thing my 14 year old daughter said. And my mom :)

Nedertane
April 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Sorry everyone. its been really busy and i forgot to post pics! i love my new cut. hopefully the picture code below works :) Might go slightly shorter next time so its not on my neck right away.
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/cleanbug/ScreenShot2013-04-18at91342AM.png (http://s980.photobucket.com/user/cleanbug/media/ScreenShot2013-04-18at91342AM.png.html)

Actually, if I were you, I wouldn't go shorter. Upon creeping through your tripod, I found that the picture of you with shoulder-length hair looked best, and I think you should try to stay around that length. Thus, your new hair looks really nice. :)

patienceneeded
April 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Your new cut looks wonderful! Very flattering on you!

Agnieszka
April 18th, 2013, 03:51 PM
very beautiful!

Mesmerise
April 18th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I think it looks lovely on you! And having also looked at your tripod site, it seems as if your hair grows quite fast, so if you want to go shorter there's no reason why you shouldn't go for it ;) if you don't like it, it won't take too long to get past the short phase again!!

I recently chopped my hair (I'm trying to go virgin), and oddly I don't regret it, even though I'm a long hair at heart ;). I think there's nothing wrong with a change and it certainly stops things getting boring!!

BTW I love your henna colour, and I know I'm gonna miss mine ;) but I kind of want to see what my "real" hair looks like these days!

UltraBella
April 19th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Yay !! I really like it. I'm so gad you posted photos.

Bagginslover
April 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
It looks fab!! If you want to go shorter, can I suggest you keep the front the same length, and just angle it more so its shorter at the back? The front length really suits you, but I can understand wanting the back shorter too :)

irisheyes
April 19th, 2013, 10:49 AM
One word: stunning!

DakarNick
April 20th, 2013, 07:33 AM
It looks fab!! If you want to go shorter, can I suggest you keep the front the same length, and just angle it more so its shorter at the back? The front length really suits you, but I can understand wanting the back shorter too :)

This! Looks great, though, Bug! Thanks for the pictures!

lapushka
April 20th, 2013, 09:56 AM
It looks amazing on you! No regrets, I hope? :D

sisi33
April 20th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Wow, that cut really suits you! Congrats!

HylianGirl
April 20th, 2013, 10:52 AM
It looks awesome cleanbug!