PDA

View Full Version : Using Cold Water Rinses...

driven fool
August 27th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Since deciding to grow my hair out I have tried a couple different routines when it comes to my hair. Since I work a rather sweaty and dirty job driving a FedEx truck I take two showers in the day. I have worked it out as a water only rinse in the morning, then I CWC at night to get that day's dirt and sweat out. The question is, what do you think of using cold water when it comes to rinsing? I've heard that it is better but I've not really understood why.

MeMyselfandI
August 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
This article Making washes more cleansing by Igor will explain it better then I can.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=77

Nes
August 27th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I think the idea is that the cold water as a final rinse closes the hair cuticle (the top layer of your hair). This protects the inner structure of the hair, keeps moisture in and provides a smoother, more reflective surface (which makes hair more shiny)

If anyone else with more experience would like to chip in on this one, as i'm quite new to proper hair care, but I think this is right.

I have always done this out of habit (of course I probably don't see the benefits given that I blowfry!)

Nes x

MeMyselfandI
August 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I think the idea is that the cold water as a final rinse closes the hair cuticle (the top layer of your hair). This protects the inner structure of the hair, keeps moisture in and provides a smoother, more reflective surface (which makes hair more shiny)

If anyone else with more experience would like to chip in on this one, as i'm quite new to proper hair care, but I think this is right.

I have always done this out of habit (of course I probably don't see the benefits given that I blowfry!)

Nes x

I thought (slightly acidic) such as the vinegar rinse closes the cuticle.

danacc
August 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I thought (slightly acidic) such as the vinegar rinse closes the cuticle.

Both are right. Cold water closes the cuticle. Something slightly acidic will also close the cuticle. Conversely, warmth opens the cuticle, and something with an alkaline pH will also cause it to open.

Are you wetting your hair in the morning to style it? Wetting twice a day is a lot for long hair; as yours gets longer, you may want to stop the morning rinses.

danacc
August 28th, 2008, 08:17 PM
(The second question in my post above is directed at driven fool, not MeMyselfandI.)

driven fool
August 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I exercise in the morning so I pretty much just rinse to wash the sweat out but also to just gently comb it into place when it is wet.

I was doing a condition only at night and cwc in the morning but I felt like it made my hair too greasy after a while. So since I work a rather sweaty and dirty job driving a FedEx truck I decided to switch to cwc to night time to wash out all the dirt from the day.

RoseRedDead
August 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I would say that if you're going to do a water-only wash in the morning, you first may want to use warm water to more easily distribute your sebum and sweat.

When -on mornings I am not fully awake - I step into a cold shower because I didn't have the awareness to set the dial to warmer, the the cold water tends to make the oils and stuff in my hair turn waxy. So then, unless you're using conditioner (which I used to; I now am going about a baking soda and apple cider vinegar routine), it would be difficult to get your hair clean.

Bottom line: I would use warm water initial, then do a final rinse with cold.

EmpressRi
August 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Cold rinsing after CO washing or regular shampooing really helps in my conditioner slipping moreso down my strands, which aids in detangling. Plus it feels great when the weather is hot and sticky!

jojo
August 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I dont do water only washes but I always rinse with cold water, I think as well as making my hair shiny, easier to comb afterwards it also helps my hair grow quicker.

How i haven't a clue!

Kirin
August 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I know what logistics say, however too cold of water other than luke warm to "cool" will dry out my hair incredibly, I avoid it overly cold.