PDA

View Full Version : Still loving my new cut (photo!) and a message about hair thickness......

UltraBella
March 12th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Dear LHCers,
Several members have mentioned being sad about my recent hair cut. I understand that. Those of you who read my posts know that I went from TBL, to waist, to BSL, to APL, to now. It's perfectly okay that you preferred me with long hair, it doesn't hurt my feelings and honestly - what matters is how much I love it. And I do LOVE it. I've also gotten a ton of support and I thank those of you who have celebrated my new style with me.

I am no longer an iii thickness. My hair has been thinned significantly by my stylist as one of my main complaints was how hot it was in the summer months. My ponytail measurement has gone from 5.9" to 3.2" and literally half my hair is gone. This big of a change has opened my eyes. Over the years I have read countless posts by so many members yearning to reach iii thickness. Many of those posts involved sadness and disappointment at not fitting into the category. For those of you who have struggled with these classifications and have been let down by your own hair - or lack of it - I'd just like to tell you this :

Your hair is amazing. It's beautiful and special and you deserve to enjoy it. Right now, no matter what length or thickness or color - it's fantastic. Don't wait until it's longer or thicker or "better" to take a step back and love your hair.
This goes for your body, your face, your life as well. Love it all.

I have half the hair I did before, I weigh 40lbs more than I "should" - and I'm tickled pink. Because I'm here. And I'm fabulous. I'll rock this hair and this body - because why not ?

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/1391d5c3-793a-4f0e-9285-652b9d116dbb_zps770929ee.jpg

jacqueline101
March 12th, 2013, 02:47 AM
It looks nice on you.

fungo
March 12th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Ultrabella your hair looks lovely and healthy. When I had my long hair cut my friends and family actually mourned the loss. My husband still does, but as long as you are happy and confident in how you look that's great. And if you want long hair again you can grow it. :)

Louise148
March 12th, 2013, 03:05 AM
Your hair is stunning and it really suits you. It's great to hear from someone who is loving not only their hair but also who they are :o

My hair is very fine and thin and unless I use thickening products and blow dry it I often feel I barely have any hair. But, I am going to try and take your advice on board and love it anyway. I will try and concentrate on the good things about it, such as; it doesn't take ages to dry, it is very shiny and at 42 I don't have any gray hairs yet.

Thank you for your uplifting post!

Dziip
March 12th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Great post.
Thank you for this self confidence, Ultrabella.
You definitly rock !

Bagginslover
March 12th, 2013, 03:19 AM
You look fabulous with any length hair! You are one of those people who can pull off just about anything :) I did love your hair long, I won't fib, but the most important thing is how YOU love it best, not what I, or anyone else thinks. I am a firm beleiver in that, and you are the perfect example. Rock on girl!

RedJen
March 12th, 2013, 03:25 AM
My hair has been thinning for medical reasons. It still barely qualifies as iii, but I'm making peace with the idea that if I no longer feel it's attractive at an extreme length, I'll cut it shorter. I used to be a person who felt a little sad when a fellow long-hair went short, but short hair is also pretty and the only hair I should feel really happy or sad about is my own.

Your new cut is really cute!

PriscillaCherel
March 12th, 2013, 04:52 AM
It looks amazing:)! Nice to hear you feel great!

shutterpillar
March 12th, 2013, 05:30 AM
You look beautiful, and you are right - the only thing that matters is that YOU are happy in your own skin with whatever hair makes you equally as (if not more) happy.

I appreciate your words about thickness, because I am constantly thinking how much I wish mine were thicker. I am in the mid-thickness range, but I constantly feel like my hair needs to live up to unattainable industry beauty standards, and I need to remind myself that a lot of the women we see on TV or in commercials have extensions to add to their thickness and texture. Nothing seems real anymore... I am constantly second guessing a celebrities hair or body - particularly in photos, thanks to Photoshop.
I need to be thankful for the thickness I do have, because I am sure there are many people out there who are suffering from illness or cancer or something horrible that causes them to lose their hair that wish they could go back to where I am now. I am lucky, and I need to remember to be grateful.

Yours was a great post, Ultrabella. :flower:

Kherome
March 12th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I never would have guessed that anyone would be invested in someone else's hair. Weird. Anyway, glad you're happy.

WaitingSoLong
March 12th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I never would have guessed that anyone would be invested in someone else's hair. Weird. Anyway, glad you're happy.

This. WHY, really, do others care?

Yet I confess it one reason I have yet to cut my own hair.

Still, though, if people want long hair let them grow it themselves!

Ultrabella, I did not know you have been cutting back your hair. Nor did I realize your hair was so thick. Even with thinning techniques, though, it would still be thick at the scalp, right? Won't it still be "hot"?

Bambi
March 12th, 2013, 07:48 AM
You rock indeed! You look amazing and your encouragement to makes us feel the same is admirable to say the least..I almost started to cry..Thank you!

lapushka
March 12th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Doubly so. This. ^^

Ultrabella, as long as *you* are happy with the cut and your hair, why should others care? I do find it sad that someone with such thickness chooses to have it thinned, but it's YOUR hair. I'm a iii and I had mine thinned out and had the worst experience with it (which is why I find it sad), but that doesn't go for everyone, I guess. The cut suits you; it's pretty.

imaroo
March 12th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Doubly so. This. ^^

Ultrabella, as long as *you* are happy with the cut and your hair, why should others care? I do find it sad that someone with such thickness chooses to have it thinned, but it's YOUR hair. I'm a iii and I had mine thinned out and had the worst experience with it (which is why I find it sad), but that doesn't go for everyone, I guess. The cut suits you; it's pretty.

Triply (is that a word?) so.

I have a sneaking suspicion, Ultrabella, that you are one of those women who could shave her head and still manage to look super pretty. Whether that's true or not, the fact that you are comfortable in your own skin while still seeing what you consider flaws or less than perfect attributes? That's more valuable than all the hair in the world. So many of us don't have that comfort and confidence. I'm working on it myself, but it's a constant struggle. I spend more time, energy, and money on my appearance and always trying to look better than I care to admit to anyone.

WaitingSoLong
March 12th, 2013, 08:30 AM
My daughter has iii hair. Her circumference is a good inch more than mine and it can be annoying. It takes a long time to dry (she doesn't use hairdryers). I like my ii hair. But I am on the high side of ii. My virgin roots are much thicker. Not sure if that is due to taper or actual strand thickness. I am not sure if I like it or not, it is not long enough to affect my up-do's yet. I cannot recall the cut-off but my root circumference is around 3". It is hard for me to measure accurately.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2013, 08:50 AM

Yet I confess it one reason I have yet to cut my own hair.

Still, though, if people want long hair let them grow it themselves!

Ultrabella, I did not know you have been cutting back your hair. Nor did I realize your hair was so thick. Even with thinning techniques, though, it would still be thick at the scalp, right? Won't it still be "hot"?

Be prepared, WaitingSoLong, if you ever cut your hair short there will be LHC women in tears !
I think on a site like this it's easy to become emotionally invested in someone else's hair for quite a few reasons. Maybe your hair is their goal or their idea of what their "dream" hair is - especially if you're a long time member. People assume you'll always have long hair and change can be scary and difficult for some, even when it's not their own hair.

As for being hot : It is still thick at the scalp but that's not really where it bothered me. If I wore it loose I was always roasting from the neck down. To the point of being uncomfortable and having a sweaty neck and upper back. I hated that feeling. Now it won't happen and in fact, when pumping gas the other day my head got cold for the first time I can remember. Blustery, cold day here in Montana and it caught me by surprise !

Doubly so. This. ^^

I've always enjoyed having it thinned and have done so for the last 20 years, but I've never had it thinned this much before. Without it I just have a large amount of bulk and my hair doesn't have any shape. Now with this shorter cut, it's absolutely necessary or I'd be a triangle of poof at this length.

TO EVERYONE ELSE, thanks for your input, I read every reply and I appreciate them.

I was sitting across from my friend Amy at lunch yesterday and she referred to herself as a manatee. She looks in the mirror and sees a round beach ball. Honestly, she IS a bit round - but that's not what I see. I see a darn good mom, a woman with a beautiful smile and pretty eyes who is witty and charming and REAL. Plus, I happen to really like manatees and beach balls ! I wish she'd enjoy herself now, but she waits and that time is precious......

Kaelee
March 12th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Dear LHCers,
Several members have mentioned being sad about my recent hair cut. I understand that. Those of you who read my posts know that I went from TBL, to waist, to BSL, to APL, to now. It's perfectly okay that you preferred me with long hair, it doesn't hurt my feelings and honestly - what matters is how much I love it. And I do LOVE it. I've also gotten a ton of support and I thank those of you who have celebrated my new style with me.

I am no longer an iii thickness. My hair has been thinned significantly by my stylist as one of my main complaints was how hot it was in the summer months. My ponytail measurement has gone from 5.9" to 3.2" and literally half my hair is gone. This big of a change has opened my eyes. Over the years I have read countless posts by so many members yearning to reach iii thickness. Many of those posts involved sadness and disappointment at not fitting into the category. For those of you who have struggled with these classifications and have been let down by your own hair - or lack of it - I'd just like to tell you this :

Your hair is amazing. It's beautiful and special and you deserve to enjoy it. Right now, no matter what length or thickness or color - it's fantastic. Don't wait until it's longer or thicker or "better" to take a step back and love your hair.

I have half the hair I did before, I weigh 40lbs more than I "should" - and I'm tickled pink. Because I'm here. And I'm fabulous. I'll rock this hair and this body - because why not ?

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/1391d5c3-793a-4f0e-9285-652b9d116dbb_zps770929ee.jpg

It looks beautiful!!! I'm so happy that YOU are happy with it!!! As you said, that's all that matters.

Thickness isn't all it's cracked up to be...I wouldn't trade my thickness for anything but I'm at BSL (well, 1/4" or so shy. ALMOST...) and I still can hardly do any updos. I braided my hair last night for sleep and realized...my braid is as thick as my wrist!!! With no taper. It looks rather silly braided honestly. :lol: Now I wouldn't personally give up any thickness (and on straight hair that had been "thinned" probably wouldn't look that good) but I understand why you would! :agree:

FireFromWithin
March 12th, 2013, 09:39 AM
UltaBella you look absolutely beautiful with long or short hair. Your curls are incredible and you are very pretty, honestly it took a while for me to notice that your hair was shorter since whenever I see your photos I see the most amazing huge eyes. Sorry, had to be said. I hope you keep your confidence in yourself and your hair stays exactly the way YOU want it.

MiaBeth
March 12th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Love the curls! Thanks for the positive post -- It's hard to break free of stereotypes others have of us (or even that we have of ourselves sometimes).

UltraBella
March 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
UltaBella you look absolutely beautiful with long or short hair. Your curls are incredible and you are very pretty, honestly it took a while for me to notice that your hair was shorter since whenever I see your photos I see the most amazing huge eyes. Sorry, had to be said. I hope you keep your confidence in yourself and your hair stays exactly the way YOU want it.

Thank you. Those curls are from my 1" curling iron though, my hair is only naturally wavy. I heat style whenever I feel like it, I love curls. I try to use my Caruso Mollecular Hairsetter whenever I have time - I can't live without that thing - but I can actually curl faster with my curling iron.

jasper
March 12th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I can't help saying that having thin hair is not like having your hair thinned. The option is there for an iii to thin that hair to ii or i, but yours is still courser, stronger hair than a lot of us with not-thick hair have, and will be thinned purposefully to create the shape you want instead of being thin in a way that interferes with the desired shape.

Mischamiu
March 12th, 2013, 10:10 AM
It still looks really nice, and the most important thing is that you love it! I never understood the rave about the thickness either? I mean I love thick hair, it is so beautiful but I think fine hair is amazing too :D

joflakes
March 12th, 2013, 12:06 PM
That was such a lovely post! I'm a sensitive soul and that bought tears to my eyes. It's so true. I don't feel great about myself (or my hair) at the moment, and the funny thing is...I'm 14lbs lighter than a year ago and my hair is double the length. I'm where I thought I wanted to be but am not much happier! I should definitely take your advice. So thank you... :grouphug:

P.S Your hair looks stunning!

bunzfan
March 12th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Good point and how very sweet of you to point that out to us all, we all have to do what makes us happy with our hair.

KittyBird
March 12th, 2013, 12:25 PM
You look gorgeous with the new cut! I know how good it feels to go from very thick to thinner hair, I used to have my hair thinned before and I loved it. It felt so light and fluffy, and it was much easier to deal with. I haven't thinned in over two (maybe three) years, so now it's growing in very thick and I have a pony circumference of 6". I like having thick hair, but I often wish it was just a bit thinner. At hip length I still struggle with most updos and my buns usually end up looking ridiculous because they're so huge and clumpy. I often feel envious of the thinner-haired ladies (and men) in the Bun Picture Thread. :)

bunzfan
March 12th, 2013, 12:33 PM
You look gorgeous with the new cut! I know how good it feels to go from very thick to thinner hair, I used to have my hair thinned before and I loved it. It felt so light and fluffy, and it was much easier to deal with. I haven't thinned in over two (maybe three) years, so now it's growing in very thick and I have a pony circumference of 6". I like having thick hair, but I often wish it was just a bit thinner. At hip length I still struggle with most updos and my buns usually end up looking ridiculous because they're so huge and clumpy. I often feel envious of the thinner-haired ladies (and men) in the Bun Picture Thread. :)

Wow really because every time i see your hair i get jealous and i want it :P

UltraBella
March 12th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I can't help saying that having thin hair is not like having your hair thinned. The option is there for an iii to thin that hair to ii or i, but yours is still courser, stronger hair than a lot of us with not-thick hair have, and will be thinned purposefully to create the shape you want instead of being thin in a way that interferes with the desired shape.

I'm well aware of that. The point of my post was that we sometimes get too caught up in classifications and yearning to be something we aren't currently and the joy can be lost.

Kherome
March 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM
My daughter has iii hair. Her circumference is a good inch more than mine and it can be annoying. It takes a long time to dry (she doesn't use hairdryers). I like my ii hair. But I am on the high side of ii. My virgin roots are much thicker. Not sure if that is due to taper or actual strand thickness. I am not sure if I like it or not, it is not long enough to affect my up-do's yet. I cannot recall the cut-off but my root circumference is around 3". It is hard for me to measure accurately.
Yep that's me too, I'm an ii just a shade under 3" and I'm pretty happy there. I figure hair is kinda like boobs, you only need so much of it before it just gets in the way and makes things uncomfortable. ;)

RavenBaby
March 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I love the cut, its really uplifting, youthful and brings out your eyes. I like your positivity a lot :]

jasper
March 12th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm well aware of that. The point of my post was that we sometimes get too caught up in classifications and yearning to be something we aren't currently and the joy can be lost.
And the point of my reply is that it is unique position to be able to make the change that makes you happy . . . and then to suggest to others that they should find joy in what they have. :shrug:

leslissocool
March 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Wow really because every time i see your hair i get jealous and i want it :P

I know me too! I have a 4.5- 5 circumference, right smacked between the ii and the iii. It used to be a 5 before I got chicken pox and some of my hair fell out, but I lost very little and now it's coming in. I can't help but LOOOOVE your 6 inch circumference! My hair, being really coarse, is really heavy so I can only imagine how heavy it would be.

I see this with my kids. My daughter wants her hair long, but it's hard for her to deal with it because she's got my texture and thickness and it's really hard to deal with past waist. My son? his hair is REALLY thin, i and straight. I've noticed is harder to look long (and to grow) although it's extremely easy to manage. it gets no tangles, even past shoulder. I personally do not understand what is like to have hair like his, because I do have a lot of hair. I do hope he sees the positives of his hair though, how baby soft it is still and how easy to manage it is (compared to his sister's and mine).

I guess that's the point of it: love what you have, thin or thick or long or short, fast growing or slow growing. Because there are definitively huge positives on every thickness and types. I'm not going to lie, my son's straight hair is something I envy. I've sent him to school without brushing and it looks like perfect, while I have to battle with my daughter to tame it, and send her to school with perfectly brushed and braided hair for her to arrive there like she hasn't brushed her hair in months. So there are positives in each type, thickness and length. It's hard to look for them though.

I personally, after thinning my hair, I realized it's just not for me. I'll keep my wild mane and the heat. I'm sweaty from working out and running around anyways :lol:.

Ultrabella: what 40 lbs?! I don't see them at all, you look amazing! I love the hair!

UltraBella
March 12th, 2013, 05:26 PM
And the point of my reply is that it is unique position to be able to make the change that makes you happy . . . and then to suggest to others that they should find joy in what they have. :shrug:

I think the point of your reply is to be negative. Have you noticed the feel good vibes that are a trend on this thread ? I like them, I'd request you let us enjoy them.

My change was in the parameters of what I already have - I didn't try achieve something outside of my hair abilities. I wasn't longing for something I'll never have and beating myself up for not having it. I'm working with what I've got and while it's not everyone's ideal - my hair or my weight - it's my reality and I'll de damned if I let time slip by while I feel bad about my appearance. I spent too long doing that years ago - I went two years without buying a swimsuit because I wasn't going to do it until I was thinner. I ached so deeply for the curly hair my mom had that I couldn't stand the frizzy waves growing out of my own scalp. That chick is GONE - this happy, chubby woman is going to wear a two piece bathing suit, embrace my hair and enjoy everything I've got. I'm not going to get caught up in classifications and categories and I'm not going to set unrealistic expectations of myself any longer. If I change something about myself it will be a simple, happy transition - because I want to. That's what my cut was. If you don't get that, no problem.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Ultrabella: what 40 lbs?! I don't see them at all, you look amazing! I love the hair!

Oh, they're there, trust me ! I'm definitely not in denial that I've gained weight, I just don't care that much right now. I think I look better thinner, but I still look good now too. And I like candy. And salty snacks, and large plates of food. I'd like to avoid the things that are unhealthy for me - but I find I am an over eater no matter what you put in front of me. My motto is : more please. I have food lust. I'm working on learning when I'm actually full and enjoying what I like in moderation, I'm just not good at it and my will power is lacking. My self worth is not attached to my pant size at all - it was years ago - but not anymore and maybe that's part of my issue. I can convince myself I'm fabulous no matter what. Is that abnormal ? Maybe there's a name for it. A happy type of body dysmorphic disorder ? Wait, don't tell me, I don't want to be classified as anything but awesome.

akilina
March 12th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I love it and 100% agree with what you are saying!!!

Vanilla
March 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I love your positive attitude. :) I'm learning to love my hair no matter the length. :)

leslissocool
March 12th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Oh, they're there, trust me ! I'm definitely not in denial that I've gained weight, I just don't care that much right now. I think I look better thinner, but I still look good now too. And I like candy. And salty snacks, and large plates of food. I'd like to avoid the things that are unhealthy for me - but I find I am an over eater no matter what you put in front of me. My motto is : more please. I have food lust. I'm working on learning when I'm actually full and enjoying what I like in moderation, I'm just not good at it and my will power is lacking. My self worth is not attached to my pant size at all - it was years ago - but not anymore and maybe that's part of my issue. I can convince myself I'm fabulous no matter what. Is that abnormal ? Maybe there's a name for it. A happy type of body dysmorphic disorder ? Wait, don't tell me, I don't want to be classified as anything but awesome.

I don't see that as an issue at all, it is awesome!

Positive body image shows through IMO. Maybe that's why I didn't see the 40 lbs, or it could be the awesome hair and face LOL.

Still for what it's worth, I over eat too. I like that, I try to eat raw veggies and fruit mostly, and sugar free chocolate but I eat A LOT of it :lol:. But I think it helps my mood and it's dark :lol:. Again, I don't see the 40lbs at all I see fabulous!

WaitingSoLong
March 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM

We have a lot in common with the food issue. I usually choose good foods but BOY can I put some food down! I have been fighting this and hating myself for a couple years now (especially with the last 10 pounds) and the only people who have noticed my extra weight are my very thin relatives (that I used to be as thin as). Funny though I admire the figures of people heavier than me. But I don't think it is my appearance as much as what my extra weight represents...lack of self control. And for a "type A" like me, I am not willing to accept that about myself even if it is awfully true!

lapushka
March 12th, 2013, 06:48 PM

Still having solid, coarse hair doesn't just go for everyone who has their hair thinned. I, at one point, had my hair thinned and I'm a iii with F hair! So... I'd like to think it is the same. The end result being: thinner hair and having thinner hair.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I don't see that as an issue at all, it is awesome!

Positive body image shows through IMO. Maybe that's why I didn't see the 40 lbs, or it could be the awesome hair and face LOL.

Still for what it's worth, I over eat too. I like that, I try to eat raw veggies and fruit mostly, and sugar free chocolate but I eat A LOT of it :lol:. But I think it helps my mood and it's dark :lol:. Again, I don't see the 40lbs at all I see fabulous!

I eat a lot of raw veggies and fruit too, but I also love carbs and snacking. It's not the fruits and veggies that's the issue ! Do you find sugar free chocolate will make you sick ever ? I've only had it twice but I didn't feel good at all afterwards.

We have a lot in common with the food issue. I usually choose good foods but BOY can I put some food down! I have been fighting this and hating myself for a couple years now (especially with the last 10 pounds) and the only people who have noticed my extra weight are my very thin relatives (that I used to be as thin as). Funny though I admire the figures of people heavier than me. But I don't think it is my appearance as much as what my extra weight represents...lack of self control. And for a "type A" like me, I am not willing to accept that about myself even if it is awfully true!

I'm type A as well and it is so frustrating because I'm a bit of a control freak and yet I won't control my eating. I really like eating. I've got chicken enchiladas with rice & beans in front of me right now........

Beckstar
March 12th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I was one that was mourning the loss...lol...and look now who else has short hair! :) Your hair looks great.

UltraBella
March 12th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I was one that was mourning the loss...lol...and look now who else has short hair! :) Your hair looks great.

Whoa !!!! Your cut was pretty drastic, what a huge difference. I like it ! (I found your thread on it.)

leslissocool
March 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM
I eat a lot of raw veggies and fruit too, but I also love carbs and snacking. It's not the fruits and veggies that's the issue ! Do you find sugar free chocolate will make you sick ever ? I've only had it twice but I didn't feel good at all afterwards.

I get the type with either the same sugar substitute as gum or just really bitter with no substitute. I don't feel sick, but I get the kind from organic stores. There are some at Walmart that do make me feel really sick, like those peanut butter "sugar free" cups make my stomach feel really bad. I attribute it to some kind of sugar substitute.

Could you be allergic to chocolate? If the bitter one makes you feel bad, you might be.

Chicken enchiladas, that sounds amazing! DH is making me Chinese food for my birthday :crush: nothing processed, but with TONS of pickled ginger. This thread is making me hungry...

kittengirl
March 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Thank you for posting such a cheerful encouraging post. I needed that right now. And I love your hair, both before and now!

aspartame gram
March 12th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Pickled ginger is amaaaazing!!! I can't wait till the next time I have some Asian cuisine and I can nab some!

UltraBella, you are always such an inspiration and such a sweet soul. I love this post. I LOVE your haircut! There seriously isn't anything you do that would look badly on you. And thank you so much for sharing your positive energy with the rest of us. I remember you had posted photos of your hair before you would blow it dry and then after. It was incredibly long! I can definitely understand why it could become so bothersome with your thickness and length.

Now, I just need to figure out what to do with my hair... Currently growing it out. ^_^

Kaelee
March 12th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I get the type with either the same sugar substitute as gum or just really bitter with no substitute. I don't feel sick, but I get the kind from organic stores. There are some at Walmart that do make me feel really sick, like those peanut butter "sugar free" cups make my stomach feel really bad. I attribute it to some kind of sugar substitute.

Could you be allergic to chocolate? If the bitter one makes you feel bad, you might be.

Chicken enchiladas, that sounds amazing! DH is making me Chinese food for my birthday :crush: nothing processed, but with TONS of pickled ginger. This thread is making me hungry...

I LOVE dark chocolate. The darker the better.

A lot of artificial sweetners cause...digestive distress.... I made the mistake of eating an entire bag of sugar free candies one time and I couldn't stay out of the bathroom! Never did that again...

MORE
March 13th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Ultrabella - I think you look amazing and your post was really encouraging! Your hair still look so thick and pretty - I really couldn't tell that it's thinned out! And I am happy that you feel better about it. I couldn't agree more, it's easy to think "oh, I will really love my hair once... (whatever reason)" and feel really uncomfortable until that magic day comes...

I lost 1/3 of my hair during The Big Shed last year, and I was mortified. All I could think of was how lucky I was when I had all of my hair. When it started to grow back again, I made a promise to myself that I would be grateful for it every day. I am trying to think "I am grateful and happy for the hair I got" - because I know how it feels when it falls off... I guess it's the same thing as when I have sprained my ankle, or anything similar, then I always think that I really should be more grateful about my body and enjoy being able to walk more than I do - I just take it for granted.

But my reason to be grateful for my hair does still come from some sort of fear to begin with, so I found your post really wonderful. I will try to think about it all more like you do.

Thank you!:blossom:

Toadstool
March 13th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Wonderful post, Ultrabella, and awesome attitude.

jojo
March 13th, 2013, 05:19 AM

:hifive: spot on, my feelings too! I am a real woman with curves, done the starve myself thin diet, i like my curves, i like my hair and more so i like me; thats what being a woman is, accepting yourself flaws and all! ( this is in no way a put down to slimmer ladies at all, its an accept yourself as you are post), i also love all the stuff that is fattening but hey ho you only live once!
Ps i think your hair and you look amazing!

woolyleprechaun
March 13th, 2013, 06:14 AM
What an awsomely uplifting post, thank you!
I will admit to being a bit sad when you cut your hair, not because I think short hair isn't good on you (its beautiful :)) but because I'm a long hair admirer. Simple as :D You look lovely and your attitude is inspiring, as always.

bobaerose
March 13th, 2013, 06:32 AM
OP
Beautiful post!!!!!!!!!! Love your hair and I also love my own :grouphug:

Marcellaa
March 13th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Your hair looks awesome and so do you! Thank you for your inspiring message :)

UltraBella
March 13th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks to you all, I've really enjoyed all the responses.

I think we should all just promise to love ourselves unconditionally. It becomes so difficult when there's so many ways you can pick yourself apart - by why expend such negative energy ? Life truly is too short.

I learned that lesson again late last night, my friend's mom died of liver cancer. Really heartbreaking and it got me thinking - we always remember to be thankful for what we've got after tragedy has struck. I'd like to skip that part and just daily be really thankful for my life, my body, my family and loved ones. I'm going to take what I don't embrace and at least put a positive spin on it. For example : I don't like how jiggly and bumpy my thighs are, especially in the back. It's not attractive. At all. OH WELL ! Gonna get over it because these fabulous legs of mine can take me anywhere. They work, they are stronger than I give them credit for and they can carry me far. And there's so many places I want to go.......

dragonmyst
March 13th, 2013, 08:51 AM
OMG thank you for this beautiful post!

didrash
March 13th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I think it really suits you, and your words are so true!

PetuniaBlossom
March 13th, 2013, 11:21 AM
:applauseUltrabella, you are a rare being: beautiful on the inside and the outside!
Your words are wise and compassionate, and came to me at just the right time. Not going into details, but I needed to be reminded to be grateful for everything, including the stuff I might like to be different. To be accepting of what is instead of pining for what isn't. To love myself unconditionally, "warts and all." And to stand up to the people who try to inject negative energy into my space. You have an old head on young shoulders, and I thank you for being you and for sharing yourself so beautifully on this board.
Though I'm easily twice your age, I just want to say that I hope I'm just like you when I grow up!!!

moxamoll
March 13th, 2013, 11:53 AM
UltraBella, I honestly think you'd be drop dead gorgeous even if you were bald! I like the idea that although this is the Long hair community, the primary focus is really about healthy hair. It looks amazing and if that cut is what makes you happiest - you rock it girl!

juliaxena
March 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
That is a lovely message UltraBella. Thank you. I am sometimes said about my lack of thickness. And that my hair won't stay at my back which makes it look even thinner. Then it also requires a lot of chops to get rid of splits from bleach. I am just glad I mostly grew out the bleach and will be all natural really soon.

cleanbug
March 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I think your hair was gorgeous before but it is super cute now! I agree that you may as well do what makes you happy because you never want to regret not making changes. im in the same boat. i really want to cut mine and will probably do so in a couple of weeks! I have a fitness competition march 23 and will likely do better with long hair. I guess depending on how i do for that, i'll make a decision if i want to do more competitions. if it really will help me to place higher (this is being suggested by my trainer), i guess i could wait a little longer to cut. i think its silly because we are suppose to be judged on our physique not our hair but whatever. politics! LOL.

Unicorn
March 13th, 2013, 08:37 PM
What a wonderful post. Your beautiful long, thick hair is sadly gone and has happily been replaced with beautiful, shorter, thinner hair that also compliments you so well.

Much as I loved your longer hair, I also have very thick hair, so I'm aware of the work that goes with it. I'm hoping to grow my locs to at least classic and started them out in a way that will allow me to thin it out along the way, so I absolutely understand why you would choose to cut and/or thin your hair. As many have said, you enjoying your hair is by far the most important thing. Us enjoying it vicariously is just a bonus for us :) I've also loved seeing the different cuts along the way. All of them have looked amazing.

Unicorn

RileyJane
March 13th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Great message :) i used to be always be that person: always wanting what i dont have, never feeling fully satisfied until i get there "ill look better with long hair" "ill look pretty when im in shape" etc. I came to the realization that no mater what i am awesome as is, and if and when i reach my goals, ill just have gained more confidence in doing so. Even thou my hair is NOT where i want it, at the starting point of MBL again (almost!) im trying to enjoy my shorter hair, since when i have much longer ik ill wonder what it was like to have shorter hair....and thats what its all about. that is why we make the changes we do. we THINK that we will be much happier and our lives will be that much better, but they are already amazing. Whenever i feel upset that i dont have bright red hair, or super curly hair i always try to remember: the same girl i envy for her hair? She wishes she had my hair. So, im just trying to enjoy the ride :)

UltraBella
March 14th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the fantastic responses, it's nice to know so many of us feel the same way, and that many of us are working on just loving who we are :) It's a great feeling !

Maelyssa
March 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Dear LHCers,

I absolutely love this post and think you and your hair look fabulous! We need more inspiring and uplifting posts like this. I think we all need to spend more time enjoying ourselves during the journey and not just anticipating the destination. Thank you for this UltraBella.

GrowingOut
March 14th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Gah!

You seem to just be getting prettier!

Medievalmaniac
March 14th, 2013, 05:03 PM
It looks beautiful and what's most important is you are happy with it. :)

UltraBella
March 14th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Some of the sweetest compliments I've ever received have been from this thread. Thank you, all of you.

Tia2010
March 15th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Wow! I haven't been on here in a long while so I popped back on today and see you with short hair :agape: LOL but it does look amazing on you :)

UltraBella
March 15th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Welcome back and thank you, Tia2010 !

kelly20364
March 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM
What a great attitude! I love how positive you are! :)

TheMechaGinger
March 15th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Awesome post! I absolutely love your attitude :] Rock on hip mama!

UltraBella
March 16th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I think we all need to spend more time enjoying ourselves during the journey and not just anticipating the destination.

How perfectly stated ! This, EXACTLY :)

Colourful
March 16th, 2013, 08:03 AM
The new cut is super pretty! You look beautiful! :)

Nae
March 16th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Aww, Miss Ultrabella, you are such a little ball of sunshine! I love your haircut. I also love your attitude. Keep being awesome sister, the world needs more like you!!

silverthread
March 16th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Thank you for the post UltraBella. I was one of the "I want to have thick hair" folks, too. Maybe it's because I started LHC with 2.25" pony tail, and now it's 3", which is very encouraging for me. I wanted to keep going. But, I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, and for ultimately being dissatisfied with my hair, because it'll probably never be in the "iii" range. I should be happy that I have the amount of hair I have, with all it's silver and mismatched waves. Your hair is gorgeous, by the way, and I really like your cut. It's perfect for your face.

meishkamooshka
March 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Such a wonderful, positive message for everyone. Thank you! And your new hair is so stinkin' cute! I love it long and short!

Micayla47
March 16th, 2013, 07:16 PM
wow! just wow! you look gorgeous!

UltraBella
March 17th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Thank you for the post UltraBella. I was one of the "I want to have thick hair" folks, too. Maybe it's because I started LHC with 2.25" pony tail, and now it's 3", which is very encouraging for me. I wanted to keep going. But, I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, and for ultimately being dissatisfied with my hair, because it'll probably never be in the "iii" range. I should be happy that I have the amount of hair I have, with all it's silver and mismatched waves. Your hair is gorgeous, by the way, and I really like your cut. It's perfect for your face.

Yes, you are lucky to have the hair that you do - it's lovely and so what if it's never iii - you've gained a great amount of thickness !

UltraBella
March 17th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Darn double post :)

getoffmyskittle
March 17th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I totally agree with you! We spend so much time in our lives waiting and thinking, oh, once I have X, Y, and Z straightened out, THEN I'll be happy. But that day never seems to come. We should focus on being happy now. :)

SwordWomanRiona
March 17th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Thank you for the uplifting post! :)
I loved your hair when it was longer, and I love it now, too. You have some of the prettiest curls I've ever seen :flower:

WilfredAllen
March 17th, 2013, 05:26 PM
your hair looks great, and you are really, really pretty

marykatz
March 17th, 2013, 10:45 PM
You have really pretty hair at any length. I had a miscommunication with the hairdresser and she cut my hair pretty short (from APL to a little below shoulder) and I have been pretty sad about it, but your post made me feel better about my cut. I just need to appreciate it at any length, at least it is healthy.

UltraBella
March 18th, 2013, 09:07 AM
We're all pretty lucky, aren't we ? We have hair and it's constantly growing and changing, it just takes a bit of time. We all have internet and can come here and make friends, ask for advice, be part of a group. There are some very kind people here. Hopefully we all have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies. Life is precious and it really is too short to sweat the small stuff. It's the start of a new week and new adventures :)

MaryO
March 18th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Great post- thanks for the encouragement! Your hair (and you!) look lovely- glad you are enjoying it!

Cowgirl16
March 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM
UltraBella; you are as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside. :flowers:

truepeacenik
March 18th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Where is the like, love or "oh, heck yes!" Button?
Because we need that for this post, UltraBella.

And you are rocking the new length.
You are the queen of layers.
For some people that IS long.

I appreciate good short looks.
I'm far too preoccupied to maintain them.

ravenreed
March 18th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Glad to see you are having fun with your gorgeous locks. I may go short again some day. When I do, I won't fret a moment. Every step of my hair journey has been an experiment and just to see what happens next, so how could I ever be sad or disappointed? My only concern these days is that my hair is thinning. However, it is still well within normal range for most people, I just remember how much hair I used to have. Ah well. Change is the only constant.

We're all pretty lucky, aren't we ? We have hair and it's constantly growing and changing, it just takes a bit of time. We all have internet and can come here and make friends, ask for advice, be part of a group. There are some very kind people here. Hopefully we all have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies. Life is precious and it really is too short to sweat the small stuff. It's the start of a new week and new adventures :)

share801
March 18th, 2013, 01:56 PM
You have great posts and great hair! :)

spirals
March 18th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I am naturally at the beginning of iii--4 inches--and I thinned my hair last year. It is more versatile in the middle category. For those of you who are i and ii, enjoy the versatility. You all can do buns at waist I just cannot do. And yes, love yourelf wherever you are. Every day pick something about yourself you like until you like yourself.

Oh, and Bella, I didn't comment on your pic originally because I couldn't see it--tablet has issues >.< --but it really does look good on you. I like it better than your avatar hair, though both look good. But this cut is just you.