PDA

View Full Version : Heartbroken: A Bleaching Disaster (a novel)

danikabananika
March 11th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Hey everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been here. I first found you guys when I was going through my initial hair woes of severe breakage due to chlorine from lifeguarding. With all of your wonderful advice (and a major chop- from waist length the shoulder length!), I was able to grow my hair nearly back to its original length and have been babying it ever since.

Last week, I stupidly agreed to be a hair model for the Aveda institute in my city. I signed the contract under the premise that I was getting my highlights "touched up" (that is the only chemical process I ever do to my hair, and even that is a once a year thing). On the day I was to get my highlights done, I was informed that they had changed their minds and wanted to go much blonder. They had even gone as far as to buy platinum blonde extensions for the shoot. I told them I was not comfortable with this, to which they replied that they would dye it back if I was not happy with it. At this point, they still had not told me their plan to bleach my entire head.

A week later, after some extreme heat damage during the photo shoot, they dyed my hair back to its "natural colour. It is now a horrible brassy medium brown, not even close to my natural colour. Aside from the fact that the colour sucks, my hair is so unbelievably damaged from the double processing and the heat styling that I think it is beyond repair. They used a 20 vol bleach in my roots to lighten the regrowth, and it feels like gum whenever I wet it.

I am so upset that I literally have not stopped crying for a week. The worst part is that it is most damaged at the roots, meaning that not only will the most breakage occur right at the scalp, but it will take me ~5 years to grow out. Also according to hairdyeforum, bleach damage takes awhile to make itself apparent, and while it may feel better after doing treatments, hair is never really repaired. If this is what it's like now I can't even imagine what it will be like a few weeks from now.

I am considering filing a civil suit against them for fraudulent misrepresentation, or at least negligent misrepresentation. Any long-haired lawyers out there!?

I'm sorry for venting, this is just the only place where I feel like I won't be judged for being so upset about my hair. Everyone I talk to tells me it's "just hair". Have any of you had an experience like this? What did you do to save your hair?

Kaelee
March 11th, 2013, 10:03 PM
UGH!!!! Was it stated in the contract what they were going to do? If it was and they did something else, I'm betting you very much can (and should!) sue.

I occasionally model for my friend (who's an amateur photographer/makeup artist.) I have a rule: No heat styling or product in my hair. She's a long hair too, so she gets it (though she uses all kinds of products in her hair, she respects mine.)

danikabananika
March 11th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hi Kaelee,

they did not state in the contract specifically what they were going to do, but I have the emails from the salon saying that "if I was chosen to be their model, they would touch up my highlights for free." There was no mention of bleaching my hair into oblivion before I signed the contract. I did an oiling over night last night and a deep condition this morning and it feels much better than it did, but I know this is only a temporary fix :(

Kaelee
March 11th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I think you should try protein to help repair the bleach damage somewhat (I think there's one called J-Pak that's supposed to be really good).

As for the other stuff.....I'd suggest contacting a lawyer for advice, I have no idea.

spirals
March 11th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure a lawyer would take the case, sadly. He/she will go by the contract. I'm sorry this happened. I have put bleach highlights in my own hair, and while I could fee the difference between the bleached and non-bleached hair, it didn't split because I used a heavy conditioner. I second the protein idea.

danikabananika
March 11th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I actually have the entire k pak line lol but I'm nervous to use it because I have naturally really curly hair, and when I used it previously it caused my hair to break because my hair is so dry naturally and it doesn't like protein (something I learned from you guys on LHC!). That's what everyone over at HDF has been suggesting so I might just give it a go and use a moisturizing deep conditioner afterwards.

leslissocool
March 11th, 2013, 10:46 PM
regarding the civil suit, I say go for it. There have been people who have won. While I personally would never volunteer for anything that means handling my hair, I'd try to get a contract and take it to a lawyer to see if there was a clause about them being able to change their agreement. Print the emails.

I grew my head completely after horrible bleach damage in less than 3 years. Yes, I had to trim a lot and the damage was quite terrible but it's doable. Seriously, I'd do hot oil treatments weekly (with a heat cap) and give it some protein and just wear it up and maintain.

I'm so sorry this happened to you :blossom: I'd be really upset.

I used
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G2l6Qv4BL._SY300_.jpgfor protein it worked really well.

danikabananika
March 11th, 2013, 10:52 PM
thank you for the condolences everyone <3 luckily for me, I have a friend who is a lawyer who will help me out. Where I live you mostly just file civil suits yourself, no lawyer involved, unless you really want one.

I rarely heat style as it is, and am going for a good cut on Wednesday. I think my pre-babying may have been my hair's only saving grace.

danikabananika
March 11th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Also forgot to mention that my scalp is pretty tender, and I'm terrified that this is going to cause permanent damage/hair loss :(

Addy
March 12th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I just lightened my hair for summer and whoa I think that color zap from Sallies did a number on it... but I mixed up 4 egg whites and EVOO and put that on my hair for 15 minutes and rinsed in cool water, washed and then conditioned. I'm in the process of baby-ing my newly red hair. I'm so sorry you were bleached out like that.

ghost
March 12th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Oh my goodness :( I went through cosmetology school at an Aveda institute, and I have to say that is NOT behavior I would expect from Aveda educators or students. How horrible for you! I really hope that they at least offered you a complimentary damage remedy deep treatment and a trim...they really should have offered to hook you up with whatever it took to correct the damage they did to your hair. Did they just not get that they completely wrecked your hair for a one-time photoshoot?

As you already know, hair that feels gummy is hair that needs protein. Use your kpak stuff once a week, no more than that, until you feel like your hair is improving. Be sure to moisturize your hair in between. Once it starts feeling better, stretch the protein treatments to maybe once a month. When you go for your cut or trim, remove as much of the damage from the length as you can stand -it's completely okay if that's only an inch or two. After the initial trim, you can microtrim (half an inch or less) each month or two until your hair starts feeling better. I did this after cutting to APL from TBL after a similar bleaching disaster (that I visited on my own self, no one else to blame!) and even a microtrim can make a huge difference between super gummy or velcro-y ends, and ends that will feel okay for at least another month.

I am really sorry to hear that this happened to you, and I hope your hair bounces back after receiving some proper care and treatment.

Soraine
March 12th, 2013, 01:17 AM
I would also suggest in addition to the protein treatment to use cassia. I just recently bleached my hair 3 times over a span of 3 days to correct bad colouring. A cassia treatment mixed up with mostly yoghurt, a bit of water, 2 tbs of honey and a small amount of k-pak reconstructor saved my hair from the tangles and stretching that came with the bleaching. My hair was severely mushy from all the bleach and this stabilized it to the point where it became manageable and shiny again. It stopped stretching in the shower and snapping easily. It is by no means back to its original strength, but it did help so much! Since cassia is colourless and is not permanent, it is a good option for colour heads :) I hope that helps you! I'm truly sorry that you had to go through such an experience!

jacqueline101
March 12th, 2013, 03:12 AM
I'm sorry your hair was damaged. I'd try to moisturizer your hair.

SleepyTangles
March 12th, 2013, 03:27 AM
I would also suggest in addition to the protein treatment to use cassia. I just recently bleached my hair 3 times over a span of 3 days to correct bad colouring. A cassia treatment mixed up with mostly yoghurt, a bit of water, 2 tbs of honey and a small amount of k-pak reconstructor saved my hair from the tangles and stretching that came with the bleaching. My hair was severely mushy from all the bleach and this stabilized it to the point where it became manageable and shiny again. It stopped stretching in the shower and snapping easily. It is by no means back to its original strength, but it did help so much! Since cassia is colourless and is not permanent, it is a good option for colour heads :) I hope that helps you! I'm truly sorry that you had to go through such an experience!

When my hair was damaged by dyes, I turned to henna and cassia. They were lifesaving, but please be sure to strand test before.
Cassia is picky and doesn't react well with bleach solutions at all... not counting hardwater. Your hair shouldn't have any residue in it, but better safe than sorry.

ravenreed
March 12th, 2013, 03:36 AM
I have a very tender, sensitive scalp, and colored my hair most of my adult life with box dyes without any trouble. You should be okay. Even if you signed something giving them permission to bleach your hair, you didn't give them permission to damage it. I would wait a few days and if there is verifiable damage to your hair, then consult a layer. Otherwise, I would probably chalk it up as a painful life lesson.

Also forgot to mention that my scalp is pretty tender, and I'm terrified that this is going to cause permanent damage/hair loss :(

Kherome
March 12th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I have a very tender, sensitive scalp, and colored my hair most of my adult life with box dyes without any trouble. You should be okay. Even if you signed something giving them permission to bleach your hair, you didn't give them permission to damage it. I would wait a few days and if there is verifiable damage to your hair, then consult a layer. Otherwise, I would probably chalk it up as a painful life lesson.

Damage is a known result from bleach and coloring, so when she agreed to the processing (which she did by not saying no when they started bleaching her hair) she agreed to accept that it would cause some damage. This is my guess, which is only my opinion. A lawsuit will most likely do nothing. They will say you signed the contract, agreed to allow them to do your hair. You also allowed them to bleach your whole head. You were not restrained, or forced, you sat in the chair while they applied bleach to your hair and could have said no but did not. Then you again allowed them to color it to a different color closer to your natural color. More damage. All along you never said no, stop. So most likely they'll call it "buyers remorse" and dismiss it. Aveda might offer you free services in order to avoid court though. You can try if you wish, and I hope you get some compensation, but I wouldn't be too hopeful on that.
That said, I'm sorry you're in this spot. It's a really crappy feeling to dislike your hair. The good news is that in some time you'll be able to look back and say "That sucked but it's over now." Til then, treat it right and keep it up. It'll get better :)

Kaelee
March 12th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Damage is a known result from bleach and coloring, so when she agreed to the processing (which she did by not saying no when they started bleaching her hair) she agreed to accept that it would cause some damage. This is my guess, which is only my opinion. A lawsuit will most likely do nothing. They will say you signed the contract, agreed to allow them to do your hair. You also allowed them to bleach your whole head. You were not restrained, or forced, you sat in the chair while they applied bleach to your hair and could have said no but did not. Then you again allowed them to color it to a different color closer to your natural color. More damage. All along you never said no, stop. So most likely they'll call it "buyers remorse" and dismiss it. Aveda might offer you free services in order to avoid court though. You can try if you wish, and I hope you get some compensation, but I wouldn't be too hopeful on that.
That said, I'm sorry you're in this spot. It's a really crappy feeling to dislike your hair. The good news is that in some time you'll be able to look back and say "That sucked but it's over now." Til then, treat it right and keep it up. It'll get better :)

I'm wondering if OP KNEW they were bleaching her entire head? I was under the impression that she was sitting in the chair thinking she was getting her highlights touched up, not that they were bleaching everything.

I really don't understand why companies do this honestly. A hair model is chosen...for her/his HAIR, right? Company sees someone with beautiful hair, wants them and their beautiful hair to model for them. They then proceed to change everything about said beautiful hair, cutting it, bleaching it, trashing it in the process, making it look nothing like it did originally...what's the point?

It's like buying a Lambourgini to do an advertisement, then stripping it all down and rebuilding it to look like a VW Bug. If what you wanted was a Bug, why didn't you start with one?

MiaBeth
March 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I had a highlight job go very wrong -- strong bleach/left on way too long--and she put me under a dryer to "speed things up"! My hair was like straw and was coming out in clumps when I washed it. My stylist recommended a weekly protein treatment (not sure of the brand -- something the salon had on hand), and this helped immensely. Although my hair wasn't the same as it was pre-dye, it was decent and manageable, and I've since grown/trimmed out the worst of it -- doing this you may be able to save what you have worked so hard for!

danikabananika
March 12th, 2013, 11:10 AM
You're totally right Kherome, I understand what you're saying, but I signed the contract after being told they were just touching up my highlights. I figured when I told them I wasn't comfortable with going any blonder than the picture I had (a golden blonde), I thought that was the end of it. I was not expecting them to say "Oh well lololol we'll just dye it back no biggie!" and then telling their stylist-in-training to grab the 10 vol and 20 vol bleach.

In regards to the lawsuit, it's only a $50 filing fee here so I don't really have anything to lose. And I wouldn't be filing it just to be an a**hole lol. Repairing my hair is going to cost me a lot of money- between the oils and treatments and vitamins I'm going to have to buy, the many more haircuts I'm going to have to pay for (I usually only trim 3 times a year, if that), the special shampoos and conditioners I'm going to have to buy to keep the brassy-ness at bay, and eventually the highlights/dye job I'm going to have to do in order to not look ridiculous while I'm growing out my roots, and that's only assuming I can even get my hair healthy enough to put it through highlights; ALL until my hair is back to its original length, which will take at the very least 2 years. I work as a promo model so unfortunately crazy roots aren't something I'll be able to get away with for every long, and long hair is kind of an "unspoken" requirement. I guess if I wanted to get really dramatic, I could say my job is on the line! ;) just kidding.

RavenBaby
March 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I'm so sorry that happened but it really sounds like there was no way to avoid this as they didn't tell you exactly what they were going to do to your hair so it's really their fault and I think you should contact them and seriously tell them your experience. As for the damage, In my experience babying my bleached straw hair did help (no heat, ever) and barely touching it or brushing it ever and sulphate free products etc. I recommend protein treatments (K-Pak from salons is cheap-ish and good, conditioner right after protein treatments and do them twice a week or so) I also didn't wash my hair often (once a week or more) as the natural oils did help. Any clips/hair ties will make breakage more possible so avoid. For me the bleach damage was almost instantly seen and it got better after months of babying. I don't and didn't oil often but I'm sure that would help. (try EVOO in dry hair overnight and wash out in morning, a stylist gave me that advice)

EDIT: I co-washed too (with a deep conditioner) which was essential for ages (since getting bleached, especially the weeks/months after). Also I never used a hair dryer even on cold, ever. My hair was extremely damaged as I got a full head of bleach twice all over my entire length (2nd beach 6 weeks after first) so your roots shouldn't be actually breaking at the moment if your not using any chemicals on it again ever.

ladylowtide
March 12th, 2013, 11:21 AM
First of all: I'm so sorry this happened to you. What they did was wrong, and not fair to you at all.

Second: I read the bit about you be concerned about your scalp. I thought I would share my own experience, maybe it will make you feel better. 3 years ago I bleached my hair all the way to platinum. Every time I did the roots I would get third degree burns on my scalp (the kind with the black scabs). My hair was thinner after this. But as soon as a year and half after I stopped bleaching, a whole bunch of new growth came in, in the areas where I would have thinness. So even if you damaged your scalp, sometimes it bounces back! Good luck with your hair, your suit, and your growing journey moving forward. And again, I'm sorry this happened to you.

Kaelee
March 12th, 2013, 11:25 AM
You're totally right Kherome, I understand what you're saying, but I signed the contract after being told they were just touching up my highlights. I figured when I told them I wasn't comfortable with going any blonder than the picture I had (a golden blonde), I thought that was the end of it. I was not expecting them to say "Oh well lololol we'll just dye it back no biggie!" and then telling their stylist-in-training to grab the 10 vol and 20 vol bleach.

In regards to the lawsuit, it's only a $50 filing fee here so I don't really have anything to lose. And I wouldn't be filing it just to be an a**hole lol. Repairing my hair is going to cost me a lot of money- between the oils and treatments and vitamins I'm going to have to buy, the many more haircuts I'm going to have to pay for (I usually only trim 3 times a year, if that), the special shampoos and conditioners I'm going to have to buy to keep the brassy-ness at bay, and eventually the highlights/dye job I'm going to have to do in order to not look ridiculous while I'm growing out my roots, and that's only assuming I can even get my hair healthy enough to put it through highlights; ALL until my hair is back to its original length, which will take at the very least 2 years. I work as a promo model so unfortunately crazy roots aren't something I'll be able to get away with for every long, and long hair is kind of an "unspoken" requirement. I guess if I wanted to get really dramatic, I could say my job is on the line! ;) just kidding.

Yikes!!!

In that case, I seriously recommend considering a wig so that you could avoid any more unnecessary damage (having to do even more processing to get rid of the roots etc.) until your hair is in better condition.

Alexblue
March 12th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I had a chemical haircut at Toni&Guy. Same deal, hair model. When I use to dye my hair I never had any breakage. My hair is pretty strong. But on this occasion I'm positive that the assistant forgot about me and left everything on for way too long. I had chunks of hair break off just 2 inches from the scalp.
Luckily I was able to camouflage the short pieces with the rest of my hair but I definitely understand your worry. Those pieces took years to grow out.

I agree with others. Protein and LOTS of tlc. K-Pak is a wonderful product. And it goes without saying, no heat (not even a blowdrier on hot) for many months. You may also try experimenting with conditioner only washing which is less drying. CO combined with a rich hair salve during the day improved my straw-like hair after 4-5 months.

Hope that helps! :blossom:

gonzobird
March 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM
ugggghhhhhh. I am sorry to hear this happened. Same thing happened to me at Aveda, but happens everywhere. The old, "we'll make you a little blonder" and pulled through bleach all through my hair. It was sooo damaged. I pretty much let nobody touch my hair ever, and I work in a salon. (goes over not so well there. hahah)

Baby it like mad, and your scalp should be fine. It might a month or so to get happy, but you shouldn't suffer any permanent loss.

Think of it this way, you will never do that again, and it can only get better from here.

spidermom
March 12th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I know how upsetting that is, I really do, but don't let it get you down! There's nothing that will call attention to bad hair like moping around and complaining. Not that I say you're doing this, but that is what I did when I got a really bad haircut in the past. I should have just bucked up and acted like nothing had happened.

Mandie
March 12th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I used to dye brown, and eventually decided to go back to blonde. I've done this twice. The first time I went to a stylist and she bleached my hair THREE TIMES, and dyed it twice. It took hours. I was in so much pain by the final dye I was complaining and she kept telling me I just had to deal with it. My scalp was so badly burned I was peeling scalp when I scratched my head. It was horrible, and I was only fifteen so I didn't know how to tell an adult what's what.

The second time I did it I did it myself, gently bleached for 20min with a 20vol and then did an oil treatment with olive oil before dying the next day. My hair turned out soft and fine. It also wasn't the right colour at ALL so I had to bleach it back down again which did damage my hair but still nowhere NEAR that.

leslissocool
March 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM
You're a model? That's even worse IMO. Definitively file for a suit, the worse thing that can happen is you lose and are left to deal with this out of pocket. The best thing that can happen is that it goes in their record and hopefully help prevent this from ever happening again.

Yikes!!!

In that case, I seriously recommend considering a wig so that you could avoid any more unnecessary damage (having to do even more processing to get rid of the roots etc.) until your hair is in better condition.

This is actually a great idea. Wigs can look really natural and it will help you not to worry about your hair.

chen bao jun
March 12th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I have no advice but just wanted to write a line to say, I'm really sorry this happened to you. I hope the protein treatment helps.