PDA

View Full Version : Starting Fresh

PurusNox
March 10th, 2013, 08:33 PM
It saddens me to say that I have cut all my hair off, I had it dyed black and really wanted to get back to my natural colour. What I was wondering is how I should look after my hair at such a short length to set me up for long hair? when it was this short before I didn't care about growing it and therefore don't know much about what to do. :confused::confused:

Mommyof4
March 10th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I would just be gentle with it and keep your scalp healthy (essential oil massages like tea tree oil or lavender oil), BBB it daily (if your hair likes it), and sleep on a satin pillowcase. Biotin is a great supplement, if you're not already taking it ;), to help growth speed up..

In a year, the new ends you have now will be your "older ends".. so just help them prepare for their long life span :D

Happy growing!

PurusNox
March 10th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Still have my BBB but didn't think it would really do anything since my hair is so short? and biotin sounds great, haven't used it before so I might look into it :) thanks for the reply!

~honeyflower~
March 10th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm kind of brainstorming here, but I think you should maintain your length for now so that you can grow out the hair dye. For a starting point, I'd say long shaggy haircuts and and then start evening up the ends. I'm not a hairstylist, but that's what I came up with. Good Luck!

browneyedsusan
March 11th, 2013, 05:39 AM
I've never been bald, but wore a pixie for a long time. (The shortest I ever had it was 1".)
The fabulous thing about short hair, is that you really can't mess it up. Shampoo penetrates right down to the scalp easily. The ends are close to your body and don't get beat up. Your body heat keeps everything nice and a swipe or two with your hands distributes the oil your scalp makes pretty decently. I never had to oil, and still don't, but that's just me. I'd keep away from the heat--blowfrier, straightener-- and just ignore it for 4 or 6 months or longer if you can stand it. :lala: Really. Forget about it. When it's short, it takes care of itself, and there is no point in trying to re-invent the wheel. :meditate:

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Have you considered monistat? It makes hair grow.

WaitingSoLong
March 11th, 2013, 11:06 AM
My only advice is to not focus on regretting your choice but look at it as a learning experience and do what you can to enjoy it while it grows. Maybe keep a record of the growth while it is short and measurableand take monthly pics just for fun. Make it a "project" :)

You cut ALL the dye out? How short is your hair now?

PurusNox
March 11th, 2013, 07:24 PM
It's at about 1" everywhere at the moment. I don't regret it, I'm excited for when I have long virgin hair, and of course i've already learnt to avoid the hairfryer and straighteners (my hair is naturally straight anyway).

WaitingSoLong
March 12th, 2013, 07:18 AM
I envy you. I wish I had the guts to cut all my non-virgin hair out. I have been contemplating it for some time but don't think I can handle the length loss. My roots are just at APL right now at the longest places.

starry
March 12th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I did this at the end of last august to get rid of my hair dye. I missed my hair a lot but anyway- what I did was buy some nice handmade hair treatments from etsy and make my own like organic olive oil infused with rosemary. My plan was not to bbb because I wanted to do a curly girl sort of method, but my hair loves bbbing so I bought a new one when my hair was a few inches long. I suggest you just baby it and enjoy treating it- the time goes quite quickly even though it can be harsh at times regarding the length! good luck :)