PDA

View Full Version : Funny looks about hair washing?

Long_hair_bear
March 10th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Does anyone else get eeeeewwwww or funny looks when you tell people how often (or the lack thereof) you wash your hair?

I told my sister that I wash my hair only once a week during the winter. She gave me this "eeeeeewwwww" look! Abit rich coming from a girl who rakes a sharp paddle brush through her soaking wet hair. :rolling:

Fun fact: Geisha/maiko only wash their hair once a week too to preserve their elaborate hair styles. :)

Kaelee
March 10th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I feel like I'm the odd one out around here, washing my hair EVERY day. (I pretty much have to due to work. I don't want industrial chemicals in my hair/bed.)

Lady Mary
March 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I basically keep my hair procedures to myself because of fear of those kinds of comments. If it looks good, feels good and I'm happy, that's good enough for me.

Wildcat Diva
March 10th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I don't feel compelled to tell people, but sometimes I let it slip. I told the receptionist where I work that I go once a week without washing and she didn't think that was odd. That made me feel better, because I am sometimes frustrated because I feel like a freak about a lot of things. I like being different, but sometimes being "weird" feels crummy, if you know what I mean.

dwell_in_safety
March 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Haha, I keep it to myself usually, because amongst white people in the US, yeah, not washing it at least once every three or four days is going to get you some really weird looks.

Mommyof4
March 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I usually don't offer the info randomly hehe... But yeah, my husband asked me the other day when was the last time I washed my hair.. I take exfoliating baths.. but don't wash my hair everytime.. I told him I wasn't sure.. I think 4-5 days, and he looked at me, not with disgust but just kind of in awe lol... Then he goes "Oh yeah, you learned that on LHC... But it smells good, what'd you put in it?"...

It was a proud moment for me :D That he called it the LHC and that he knew it meant that it was an educated decision to not wash my hair lol..

And I had tea tree on my scalp :)

But, people at my work think I'm weird for wearing hairsticks and using a BBB at my desk lol.. I don't care though :D

Natalia
March 10th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I stick to dont ask dont tell and people really dont ask lol. if its a stranger i kind of weigh it, to be frank if their black and have natural texture hair id probably tell them since they usually dont wash as frequantly as straighter textures. For the most part i keep it to myself unless i know im talking to a fellow "hippie freak" type ;)

teela1978
March 10th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I don't often tell people. I also don't go a week without washing though, my scalp likes to be cleaned and has developed sores every time I've tried to stretch out washing. When I do mention that I don't wash every day it's usually among people I trust and I usually mention it in a joking way (we were talking about conserving water the other day and I joked that my tendency to not shower daily greatly helped with limiting my water consumption :)). Though, I do wonder if coworkers/acquaintances are asking how often you wash that your hair might not be looking great towards the end of your wash cycle? Maybe you could figure out a way to freshen up a bit inbetween?

Long_hair_bear
March 10th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I don't often tell people. I also don't go a week without washing though, my scalp likes to be cleaned and has developed sores every time I've tried to stretch out washing. When I do mention that I don't wash every day it's usually among people I trust and I usually mention it in a joking way (we were talking about conserving water the other day and I joked that my tendency to not shower daily greatly helped with limiting my water consumption :)). Though, I do wonder if coworkers/acquaintances are asking how often you wash that your hair might not be looking great towards the end of your wash cycle? Maybe you could figure out a way to freshen up a bit inbetween?

Never been asked by anyone but my sister and she's just LHC curious. My hair tens to look fine till its wash. :)

Magalo
March 10th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I feel like I'm the odd one out around here, washing my hair EVERY day. (I pretty much have to due to work. I don't want industrial chemicals in my hair/bed.)

So do I. :D I feel a bit less alone, lol.

Natalia
March 10th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Your not alone i wash daily due to allergies but its not a wash by most peoples standards since im wo. So if someone asked me the last time i s&c'd i could really freak them out and say december :p lol before that i went over 6 months without shampoo hahaha :eyebrows:

HintOfMint
March 10th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I've been anywhere from daily washer to wash-every-four-days, and haven't had much commentary on when I washed less. In fact, I've had more negative reactions in real life, no less, when I washed daily. I was admonished that it would dry my hair out and that's why my ends were so fuzzy.

On the flip side, I'm usually fine when people wash less often. However, it's a little frustrating when people talk about their scalps being sore, having a foul smell, developing pimples, scabs or even sores when they stretch washes and then look for a solution besides WASHING THEIR DAMN HAIR. Some people don't produce a lot of oil and some scalp problems are, in fact, from washing too much. But when there are obvious hygiene and health issues from stretching washes then it's a little stupid, not to mention gross, that a good hot wash is out of the question.

Darkhorse1
March 10th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Ah yes--the hair frequency washing. I used to have to wash daily when I was young---lots of oil plus my life with riding horses means lots of dirty/sweat etc. Even now, while I'd like to wash daily, my scalp needs have changed. With hormonal fluctuations, I began going through shedding and then, painful scalp issues that included severe itching/scales and patchy dandruff or eczema. I found a great shampoo line that helped with scalp issues (designed for skin), however tea tree oil didn't seem to work as well as zinc for the itchiness of my scalp. I could only go every other day without washing or else sores, severe itching and a yucky smell would follow (and barn smelly hair ;) ). I go by my scalp more than my hair. If it's oily itchy and smelly, it gets washed. If it's fairly clean even after teaching/riding, I'll leave it be and just spritz a body spray on the ends to get rid of that 'horsey' smell ;)

I would never judge someone on their washing needs. Some people I know wash their hair weekly because they have a very dry scalp. My brother can go for a few days to four days without washing because of a dry scalp. With me, even with a dryer scalp, I still had horrid itching and smell--so, washed the hair I went. :)

kpzra
March 10th, 2013, 11:49 PM
When I worked at the airport (line tech) I washed my hair everyday when my daughter was a newbie because of all the chemicals and fumes that I was exposed to at work. Now that I don't work there and am a SAHM, it just depends on when I'm going out or how funky I feel. The average is probably 3-4 days. I wear it up a lot and I live in a dry climate now vs Alaska.

DancingQueen
March 11th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I once told my friends that I wash every 4 days (at the time, now I wash every 3 days). They all gave me a rather chocked look. One girl said she tried to wash every second day when it was possible. Another didn't really comment, I think. The third one freaked out and told me it was really really nasty, and that I should wash my hair every single day, sometimes twice a day, like her. Apparently, she couldn't stand anything being the least bit dirty.

That is why I don't really talk about my routine.

KittyBird
March 11th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I haven't gotten any "ewwww" looks so far, but a lady at my workplace looked very shocked when I told her I wash once a week. She has short hair and washes every day, so she found it hard to believe that I could go for over a week without washing. I don't usually share my washing routine with people irl, but if they ask, I'll give them an honest answer. The only people I discuss it with are my mom and my BFF.

fungo
March 11th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Interesting thread because I am rethinking my washing routine. Until recently I had been washing my hair everyday, manly out of frustration because it was short and never set right. I have noticed it was getting very dry even when using conditioner. So I decided to leave it and not wash it until I felt it needed it. I lasted 5 days, so I am goin to try this for a while and see if it improves the condition. I have had strange comments from people when I tll them my lack of washing, when I was at school I only washed my hair once a week, I didn't have man friends when I told them at the time.

Bagginslover
March 11th, 2013, 03:48 AM
I've never washed my hair very frequently, I only wash more than twice a week if I have a function to go to, most weeks its just once.

I find I get the funniest looks whn I go out with wet hair after washing. People just can't fathom why I wouldn't dry it with a hair dryer!

Kwantslonghair
March 11th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I don't tell anyone unless they ask or I am on here. I don't go around telling how often I shave my under pits or use deodorant. It does not come up in normal conversation

Bianca
March 11th, 2013, 05:04 AM
I told my mom this weekend, but she does the same. So no eww from her. I remember telling my best friend that I never use shampoo, back then I had just stopped dying and bleaching my hair, so only had a couple inches of my natural hair color, her answer "maybe thats why your hair is so frizzy" Lol, nooo, that would be the bleach xD

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I normally don't talk about my hair care routine to anyone.

SleepyTangles
March 11th, 2013, 08:09 AM
No, but they will surely be "ewwww" if I'd say out loud how I wash (ACV rinse, soapnuts, super-diluited shampoo, cleansing oil, occasionally baking soda, Light oiling etc.)
I wash rather frequently, every 2-3 days, and i wash my bangs almost everyday.

Maybe they will be surprised to hear that this is my definition of frequent washing :grnbiggri:. And how much time it was from the last time a real brush touched my hair.

imaroo
March 11th, 2013, 08:58 AM

I wash my hair every day too. Maybe when it's longer and I can put it up in more styles (and my bangs are grown out) then I can stretch it. But, I doubt it. I tried CO for months, and my scalp didn't even like that. It got itchy and I ended up with scabby patches. Most likely I'll just continue washing every day. In fact, I dry with a hair dryer several days a week, but on low heat! My hair really doesn't dry out that easily.

I'm very careful with the handling though, and that's made a lot more of a difference in the condition of my hair than which products I use ever did.

fairy666tale
March 11th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I only wash my hair once per week, sometimes less, because my hair just seems to like that best. It also helps that I wear it up almost everyday, and even my bangs don't get greasy in less than a week. I try to only wash it when it does start to feel too greasy, or when there's a special occasion.

Never got funny looks or 'eww' comments, though. Usually I only mention my hair routine when the subject happens to come up in conversation, and people usually take a look at my hair and apparently decide it looks fine.

spidermom
March 11th, 2013, 09:25 AM
No; the subject never comes up, plus I have a completely normal wash cycle of about twice per week.

bunzfan
March 11th, 2013, 09:54 AM
No; the subject never comes up, plus I have a completely normal wash cycle of about twice per week.

I do this to, i tried stretching to once a week but by day 4 my fringe looks disgusting, normally i wash once a week with shampoo and do a co wash mid week.

EtherealDoll
March 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM
No. But it's probably because long hair is quite common here and most people I know wash their 2-3 times a week.

melusine963
March 11th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I'm careful not to tell anyone how (in)frequently I wash my hair, precisely to avoid such reactions. What people don't know can't hurt them. :)

Tota
March 11th, 2013, 12:08 PM
People used to look at me funny when I washed my hair every other day. It's quite a common belief here that this is too often :) Once (to twice) a week is normal for most people here.

lapushka
March 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Not washing your hair every day is fairly common here (Europe - Belgium). It's kind of normal not to wash every day. So, nothing out of the ordinary if you go a week without washing. My mom has very dry hair (scalp) and can go a month without having to wash. No big deal.

Naiadryade
March 11th, 2013, 12:43 PM
:laugh:

Most of the people I spend time with are some form of hippie, pagan, punk, or wild nature types. Washing once a week (which I do) is pretty average/common. Many folks go a lot longer, and just don't care. I think my friends would be more confused by the amount of effort I put into keeping my hair healthy between washes, than the (in)frequency of washes!

Neneka
March 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Not washing your hair every day is fairly common here (Europe - Belgium). It's kind of normal not to wash every day. So, nothing out of the ordinary if you go a week without washing. My mom has very dry hair (scalp) and can go a month without having to wash. No big deal.

It's the same in here. I would actually be really amused if I told someone that I wash mine every 3-4 days and never use shampoo and s/he would be shocked and told me it's gross. :D No one was really shocked even when I went WO and told people I haven't washed my hair with any product in 6 months because they could see themselves that my hair looked clean. People are mostly just envious because they would like to wash less too but they think their hair is too greasy.

LadyLongLocks
March 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I only wash once a week so YES some people think its gross. But I explain that its less wear and tear etc...Plus my hair is normal, so it can last and not get super oily until day 5-6.

chen bao jun
March 11th, 2013, 01:37 PM
People don't ask. I volunteer to other curlies sometimes if they obviously have a lot of frizz or are clearly struggling that CO might help (since it changed my life), but as often as not I get the 'but my hair's not like yours' reaction. Black curlies tend to say that their hair is not like mine because I'm an obvious 3c (looser curls) which they are under the delusion is not only very different, but 'easier to manage' and that I 'don't understand' their issues. White curlies tend to say, 'not like yours' because unless they are on this forum, or otherwise educated, they tend to think that black people all have hair that is mysteriously different from white people's--that some entity exists which can be called 'afro' hair and that needs to be taken care of in a mysterious and different way (with the stuff in the 'ethnic' section), but that anyway doesn't relate to them.
I do notice that very often when I talk to someone who has beautiful hair, whether they are curly or straight or white or black, they often whisper to me that their 'secret' is just--not washing everyday.

Vanille_
March 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I generally only talk about my hair if people ask. And the people who are interested enough to ask usually have an interest in hair and aren't so shocked when they hear I wash my hair every 2-4 days. I don't tell them that if I haven't left the house in a week, I probably haven't washed my hair in that long either.... that would probably get strange looks.

Strangely, the only funny look regarding hair I ever got was when a lady wanted to know what I wash my hair with. At the time, I was CO and using a cheap .99 cent conditioner. She looked at me really strange and just ignored me after that. The wierdest thing was that she complimented me before I told her that.

Carolyn
March 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
On the flip side, I'm usually fine when people wash less often. However, it's a little frustrating when people talk about their scalps being sore, having a foul smell, developing pimples, scabs or even sores when they stretch washes and then look for a solution besides WASHING THEIR DAMN HAIR. Some people don't produce a lot of oil and some scalp problems are, in fact, from washing too much. But when there are obvious hygiene and health issues from stretching washes then it's a little stupid, not to mention gross, that a good hot wash is out of the question.THIS, a thousand times this. If you read my blog here, you know my thoughts :gabigrin:

I never offer any personal hair care information. I never bring up the subject. I have one friend who has a semi interest in hair and we talk care and styles now and then. All of my other real life friends have short hair and I think they all wash daily unless they are staying home.

One tip would be to use the word "wash" in place of the word "shampoo" if you are CO or WO. People will assume you mean you use shampoo. Let's say you are WO, you can say you wash your hair 3 times a week, when you are rinsing your hair with water 3 times a week. You don't have to divulge your exact hair care routine. It's OK to even lie about it if you want to. Really it's OK.

Mischamiu
March 11th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I only tell it to my family! My mum thinks it is normal but my sister gives me the look too...

ghost
March 11th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I almost never talk about my care routine unless it's with people who already kind of get it, like my husband or best friend. If I get one of those comments like "Woah, your hair is long, how often do you wash it?" I tell people I wash it every other day. Unless they specifically ask how I take care of hair that is a) wurly, b) colored with synthetic hair color, or c)fragile, I usually don't bother telling them that I only shampoo (CWC, really) every two washes, and CO in between.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM
One of the girls at work was complaining that her BSL hair is so dry and frizzy. I asked how often she washes it and she said "Every morning". I suggested that she try washing it less often and stroke a little oil through it and she looked at me as if I was from Mars, - I probably shouldn't have told her that I normally wash Hair once a week either...

rowie
March 11th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I told my older sister that I wash my hair once a week and she looked at me like I was from another planet. I had a long explanation for her, and after all that -- she still doesn't buy this routine. <Le sigh>

Sharysa
March 11th, 2013, 04:29 PM
See, this is why I keep things like this to myself. I don't work out or anything, so I usually only need to shower twice a week (every three or four days, but four means I feel like crap). It's good for my skin AND my hair. The rest of it is really just making sure I don't reek. Which, usually, I don't.

People seem to assume that if you don't have a full shower/bath every day, you must be crawling with filth and germs. Why do people have this idea that soap and water is limited to a bathtub?

spirals
March 11th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Once my former boss asked me "You don't wash your hair every day?!?" I was washing every other day at the time.

Kyaatje
March 11th, 2013, 11:55 PM
See, this is why I keep things like this to myself. I don't work out or anything, so I usually only need to shower twice a week (every three or four days, but four means I feel like crap). It's good for my skin AND my hair. The rest of it is really just making sure I don't reek. Which, usually, I don't.

People seem to assume that if you don't have a full shower/bath every day, you must be crawling with filth and germs. Why do people have this idea that soap and water is limited to a bathtub?

I remember as a kid we didn't have a bathroom so showering daily was out of the question. Showers where for Saturdays when my parents would set up this folding shower thingy. We only got a real bathroom when I was 12. So we learned to wash ourselves with wash-cloth and soap. But now even my mother reacts like I'm filthy when she thinks I'm not showering everyday. (I let it slip once, and then told a white lie to set her mind at rest LOL)

teela1978
March 12th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I do have one friend who I give funny looks to when she doesn't shower. We travel together sometimes and she'll go a week without washing. I don't really care whether she's washing her hair or not, but on trips we're usually out hiking or snowboarding or something similar that gets bodies sweaty. She does sometimes start to smell, and will seemingly not take a hint! It's actually started to make me less excited about traveling with her.

kelly20364
March 12th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I just tell them "you don't get long beautiful hair like this by washing it every day!" :)

Kyaatje
March 12th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I do have one friend who I give funny looks to when she doesn't shower. We travel together sometimes and she'll go a week without washing. I don't really care whether she's washing her hair or not, but on trips we're usually out hiking or snowboarding or something similar that gets bodies sweaty. She does sometimes start to smell, and will seemingly not take a hint! It's actually started to make me less excited about traveling with her.

that is not fun :(
not showering is one thing ... not washing is an other especially when you've been sweating

jojo
March 12th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I dont really discuss how and when i wash my hair with real life friends, i dont see it as a conversation piece to be honest.

MaryMarx
March 12th, 2013, 02:17 PM

I totally agree. In the winter here, it's not like you get sweaty legs or something, if I chose not to shower one day I can still wash parts of my body and be as fresh as if I had that shower...

ilandree
March 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I only discuss it when asked about my hair care routine and people are shocked since most have been conditioned to believe everyone needs to wash their hair daily, but at the same time it is a great learning/eye opening opportunity because they can see my hair and see that it is not dirty or oily or smelly or what have you, and I can tell them a bit about oil production, hair care, etc. So I think though it can be a bit embarrassing to have to say it, knowing what the initial response will likely be, it is still a good thing.

HylianGirl
March 12th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I actually wash my hair often (each other day), I walk in the street and get subways and buses and so on during the week days, so even if my hair is not oily I feel it's dirty because of all the places it touched (like my backback, wich I often throw on the ground xD). But I definatelly don't judge people who don't wash their hair often, there's a friend of mine in my college who has hip length hair and she told me she only washes each four days, and it never looked oily too me, as matter of fact she has great hair ^-^

But I remember when I told my family I wasn't going to use shampoo anymore, they were like =O and told me my hair would be dirty! And then I told them I actually hadn't been using it in months, and they didn't even noticed xD My mom still tries to push shampoo on my hair.

Suze2012
March 12th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Years back...about 20 years i remember going 'ewww' when a friend of mine with much longer and curlier hairtold me she only ever washed once a week.
BUT..you could never tell and she never had that unwashed hair smell (which I really don't like personally)

I get funny looks if I mention co-washiing and hair discussions come up a lot at work as we do have a super frizzy in the office... plus me the curly (who is now only very rarely frizzy).

The straights hairs think we should brush it as it would make it smooth.

Aside from my 'team' I don't mention co washing much as it makes people's faces go odd.

My team are convinced I am back to shampoo...the say i smell all shamppooey when I get to work (I co wash everyday and my hair is always still wet when I get there)....er...it smells of conditioner..actually...hehe!

bobaerose
March 13th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I wash my hair once a week. I started this about one year ago... Not intentionly, mainly lazyness!!! :doh: However this has given me really healthy locks and growth has improved !
My hubs dosent mind.... as long as I bath my body lol

embee
March 13th, 2013, 07:18 AM
I don't talk about it at all - except here.

But then I'm WO in summer and NW/SO in winter - so you can probably understand why the subject doesn't get brought up (by me)! :D

Tia2010
March 16th, 2013, 11:14 PM
People really never ask, but if someone did I would likely say,"I bath daily but only wash my hair like twice a week". They don't need to know my exact schedule LOL

I think some people react to the once or twice a week hair washing with an "eww face" because they (wrongly) assume if you're not washing your hair daily then you're not bathing. I don't know why. :rolleyes:

coffinhert
March 20th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Haha! Every once in a while I tell someone that I NEVER shampoo my hair, I only use conditioner and coconut oil in it. It's usually a conversation killer.

LakeofGlass
March 20th, 2013, 01:01 AM
I usually explain to people that the length of the hair is always protected in braids and buns, that I don't use commercial haircare products, and that the scalp is what needs washed more so, not the hair length. Once that is stated, people nod and go "Ohhhhh yeahhhhh." I've actually had a few women agree with me as I stated the part about the scalp. I've had others ask me what to do, so that's why I'd mention it. I also reference the Victorian period since things like combs and bristle brushes were very popular. Vanity sets are a good, long-standing example of how hair should have been cared for. I'm sure lots of us can raise our hands to using a bristle brush to spread sebum and oil, and comb to detangle.

I only tell those who are interested how I care for my hair. Once they understand that hair products that clog hair are the reason for daily washes, it seems like the lightbulb goes off for them. I guess I'm lucky that people have reacted well to me.

As far as hair washing goes, I think that you all should do what you need to do. If you work around chemicals, I think washing often is smart. You don't need to gob tons of shampoo of course, but something to clean off dangerous chemicals is understandable.

Speaking of bathing daily... I've heard of some people only using water to bathe, no soap. Years ago my brother had a one-time visit with a doctor who thought that we all don't even need to bathe with water. How did that guy become a doctor?

teal
March 20th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I don't usually get into these discussions because they don't come up. I have told friends when they've asked about the routine that I don't usually wash it more than once in a week because it's "too damaging for my long hair" and even though that's only part of the story it's usually enough to satisfy.

I did have what I thought was an amusing conversation with my sister in law, who was visiting. One evening she asked me what those "bottles of water" in the shower were for. (I have old Suave conditioner bottles which I've de-labeled and filled with dilute mixes of ACV and BS.) I explained that I don't use shampoo in my hair and that they, in conjunction with conditioner, were my hair washing supplies. She considered that for a bit, then mentioned that she doesn't wash her hair more than about twice a week and definitely not with each shower. I don't think she thought of my way as gross, just farther off the main path than most. Her (and my husband's) mom was into natural living so she's probably more receptive than the average person.