PDA

View Full Version : Irrational Hair Fears: The Thread

bradlea
March 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Hey guys! I was thinking today about my fears regarding my hair, most of which are completely illogical and pretty much just silly. I thought it would be fun to see if anyone wants to share their own paranoid thoughts about their manes!

For example, my hair is almost at BSL and I am terrified that it won't get longer than this. Probably because every time I have tried to grow my hair out in the past six years of trying, this is about the length it gets to before I give up and say "I WANT A TWENTIES BOB!" or "I WANT DREADS!" and impulsively change it. But I'm not worried that I'll do something impulsive, I'm truly worried it's just going to stop growing because I have no proof that it won't, hahaha.

So come on, I would love to hear yours. Share with me!

jacqueline101
March 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
My fear is since my hair is dry and splitting it will stop growing at bsl. I'm 3 inches from MLB and I have that fear.

Kaelee
March 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
My fear isn't an irrational HAIR fear but an irrational HAIRCUT fear. I'm always terrified the stylist is going to cut my ears off! :lol: (To be fair, though, this actually happened to my cousin. The barber slipped and somehow almost completely removed the top of his ear! :bigeyes:)

Long_hair_bear
March 10th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Mine is hair cut phobia. "She'll take too much off!" Completely irrational though as I've had the same hairdresser for years and she rocks! :)

My other fear? Getting to term before I hit knee! :run:

HairFaerie
March 10th, 2013, 05:56 PM
My irrational fear is that my hair will get long but be damaged and look bad.

About six years ago my hair was almost at waist and I dyed, hennaed, and did a lot of bad things to it. It did end up dry and damaged and I cut it back to shoulder. Then I cut it to pixie. I have had it short since then until I decided to grow it out again 7 months ago.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again because I am taking really good care of it now at shoulder length. No dye, I'm using natural shampoo/conditioner, oiling, getting small trims about every three months, etc.

I want long hair, but more importantly, I want healthy hair!

Sylvestrix
March 10th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I worry that someone will cut off my bun o.o to be fair, when I was a child at knee, someone DID cut a chunk off my hair, but it was loose then. I actually worry someone will just grab one of my buns and chop it off! Crazy. A more legitimate, but still irrational fear, is about how my hair will look now that I'm growing out my dye. I really, really dislike my natural hair colour, and I worry that I'm going through all this effort to go 'virgin' just to end up hating my hair. Of course I wont, because it'll be long and lovely and healthier, but, ngh, the anxiety!

chen bao jun
March 10th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hey guys! I was thinking today about my fears regarding my hair, most of which are completely illogical and pretty much just silly. I thought it would be fun to see if anyone wants to share their own paranoid thoughts about their manes!

For example, my hair is almost at BSL and I am terrified that it won't get longer than this. Probably because every time I have tried to grow my hair out in the past six years of trying, this is about the length it gets to before I give up and say "I WANT A TWENTIES BOB!" or "I WANT DREADS!" and impulsively change it. But I'm not worried that I'll do something impulsive, I'm truly worried it's just going to stop growing because I have no proof that it won't, hahaha.

So come on, I would love to hear yours. Share with me!
Same as yours.

bradlea
March 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM
My fear isn't an irrational HAIR fear but an irrational HAIRCUT fear. I'm always terrified the stylist is going to cut my ears off! :lol: (To be fair, though, this actually happened to my cousin. The barber slipped and somehow almost completely removed the top of his ear! :bigeyes:)

:agape: THAT IS THE WORST THING I'VE EVER HEARD. And as a hairstylist, I'm more scared of being the barber than being your cousin, although I wouldn't wish for either. Eeeek! Did they manage to, like... reattach it and everything?!

I worry that someone will cut off my bun o.o to be fair, when I was a child at knee, someone DID cut a chunk off my hair, but it was loose then. I actually worry someone will just grab one of my buns and chop it off! Crazy. A more legitimate, but still irrational fear, is about how my hair will look now that I'm growing out my dye. I really, really dislike my natural hair colour, and I worry that I'm going through all this effort to go 'virgin' just to end up hating my hair. Of course I wont, because it'll be long and lovely and healthier, but, ngh, the anxiety!

If it helps, I have always hated my hair color ever since it turned from white blonde to blonette as a child, and I've finally managed to go completely virgin after many years of dyeing it and am now in love with it. :3 So maybe you will love yours too!

Cheele
March 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Mine is also is the fear that I won't be able to grow past hip (which is what I'm approaching now). And oddly enough, another fear I have is that I won't be able to stand my hair any longer than hip and want to cut it off. I love the way classic hair looks, but I'm just scared I won't be up to maintaining it. Actually, that fear is rather rational. I'm very low maintenance haha.

Mommyof4
March 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I am a melanoma survivor.. so I have this nagging fear that when I finally get to my desired length and hair health.. that I'll have to have chemo for a melanoma... It's not rational since my skin cancers are well controlled for now.. but it's just something that I feel a dreadful anxiety about..

Jenny31557
March 10th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Yeah, my hair fear is that terminal will be too short. :(
But I guess I'll never know until I get there! Fingers crossed!

tyrant1100
March 10th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I'm scared of my hair touching the floor or being in contact with anything that's been on the floor. Probably left over phobia from getting lice when I was a wee thing and I was convinced lice lived in carpet and on floors (which might be likely depending). I actually really hate carpet for this same reason too.

~honeyflower~
March 10th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Nope, I'm pretty fearless! ...wait, there is one thing I'm scared of :bigeyes: its those elastics....

I had my hair in little braids so I could do braidwaves for the spring concert in high school(70's theme). When I started taking those tiny elastics off my hair got caught so I tried untangling it; and the tiny tangle began growing until it was as big as a golf ball. :shudder: maybe I'm exaggerating but...THAT THING WAS HUGE!

Mandie
March 10th, 2013, 06:59 PM
When I lean over to put something in the oven or take it out I'm always terrified my hair is going to catch on fire. Which makes no sense because it isn't long enough to touch the oven. But, irrational is what you asked for.

Redhead Rebel
March 10th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Having anyone but myself go near my hair with sissors! Also heat styling tools.

Long_hair_bear
March 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Funny thing is, all fears are rational and very real to the person fearing them, just irrational to others. :)

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2013, 07:30 PM
My fear is ridiculous and I know it. I'm afraid that my gray hair is going to look horrible as it grows out and that I'll have a head full of gray hair and a red bun.

kittengirl
March 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I'm afraid that after I have my baby all my hair will fall out and I won't be able to grow it longer, just now that it is starting to be a little bit long. Which is probably unlikely because my hair has been shedding normally throughout pregnancy, and is quick thick normally so even if I had a larger shed there would probably still be enough left to grow out. I also worry that just when it is finally long and pretty I will lose it somehow.

Mommyof4
March 10th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I'm afraid that after I have my baby all my hair will fall out and I won't be able to grow it longer, just now that it is starting to be a little bit long. Which is probably unlikely because my hair has been shedding normally throughout pregnancy, and is quick thick normally so even if I had a larger shed there would probably still be enough left to grow out. I also worry that just when it is finally long and pretty I will lose it somehow.

I experienced a shed after each pregnancy (breastfeeding stalled my growth, strangely. Now that I've had my last one weaned for a while, my growth rate has picked right back up).. but Biotin helped soooo much with new growth coming in soon after the shed. The biggest thing is just take care of what you have and drink enough water/take vitamins/eat well. The shed wasn't fun, but it started growing back in within a few weeks and the biotin doubled the new growth in my case.

Congratulations, babies are beautiful little miracles :D

kittengirl
March 10th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I experienced a shed after each pregnancy (breastfeeding stalled my growth, strangely. Now that I've had my last one weaned for a while, my growth rate has picked right back up).. but Biotin helped soooo much with new growth coming in soon after the shed. The biggest thing is just take care of what you have and drink enough water/take vitamins/eat well. The shed wasn't fun, but it started growing back in within a few weeks and the biotin doubled the new growth in my case.

Congratulations, babies are beautiful little miracles :D

Thank you for the encouragement! Maybe my fear won't be so horrible :) That doesn't sound too bad. I take a wonderful prenatal vitamin that I plan to continue taking after baby is here, so maybe that will help. Did you shed during pregnancy or did your shedding stop?

kittengirl
March 10th, 2013, 10:00 PM
My fear is ridiculous and I know it. I'm afraid that my gray hair is going to look horrible as it grows out and that I'll have a head full of gray hair and a red bun.

That actually sounds like a really interesting look! I would like to see that on someone.

Wildcat Diva
March 10th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I experienced a tremendous shed three months postpartum after my first child. I was breastfeeding, so hormones, yeah. Scary handfuls coming out into my bathtub (mermaid rinses) and creeping me out. I didn't notice any long term effects on my hairt thickness or growth, but that was 13 years ago, and I wasn't trying to grow my hair out then. I went on nursing and getting pregnant two year later, and more nursing and then pregnant in two years again. So that was my hormone cycle for sure. At some point I had BSL hair according to the photos, but it's pretty much a blur. I was straightening then, and it looked a little thin in the photo. That was eight years ago.

Any how, my fear, not so irrational, is that at waist my ends will be too thin to look very good.

Mommyof4
March 10th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Thank you for the encouragement! Maybe my fear won't be so horrible :) That doesn't sound too bad. I take a wonderful prenatal vitamin that I plan to continue taking after baby is here, so maybe that will help. Did you shed during pregnancy or did your shedding stop?

I shedded a little during pregnancy.. but it was about 3-5 months after all 4 kids that I noticed a heavy shed, mostly around my face and my temples.

Bagginslover
March 11th, 2013, 03:23 AM
My fear is that I'll never be happy with my hair. Length, condition, manageability, style, I'm always fussing over something, will I ever love it just the way it is, or will I always be chasing hairvana?

shutterpillar
March 11th, 2013, 05:24 AM
I worry that my hair will not grow past waist without looking scraggly on the ends. I worry i'll never be able to achieve a nice thick hemline at hip length (which is my goal.)

I also worry about getting some sort of health issue where my hair begins to thin. Thinning hair does not run in my family genetics, but getting sick and having my hair fall out is terrifying to me.

beryl
March 11th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Lots of fears!

That some random person with scissors and a mean streak will see my hair and try to chop it (where is that smiley with one guy chasing after the other with an axe?)
That my terminal length will be where I am now
That the hairdos I wear don't really look that good on me and my family tells me they do to be nice
That my ends will be scraggly
That people will see my hair and think I'm strange :rolleyes:

I don't have all these all the time, just one or two every now and then. But they are pretty irrational!

mzBANGBANG
March 11th, 2013, 05:39 AM
My fear is that I will sleep-cut my hair.

I've never been prone to sleep walking or anything like that, but it never fails, a couple times a year I will have a hair cut dream and wake up in a panic.

missbexy
March 11th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Bradlea, I had the same fear as you for years. Not helped by mother actually telling me she was pretty sure I just had quite a short terminal length and I should stop trying to grow my hair because it just didn't seem to go past BSL so I might as well just enjoy changing my style more. My hair now (finally) goes all the way down my back.
Kittengirl, my paranoia now is the same as yours.
Or that I won't even be able to maintain my hair until then because I have so little energy during pregnancy that I'm not caring for it as well as I'd like to. Plus it's randomly changing colour and for about a month now I've just desperately wanted to cut it. Which leads to the worry that I'd look awful with it short.

MiaBeth
March 11th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I'm afraid of having short hair -- most of the moms I know have shoulder length or above, but I feel like I can't style this length. It looks like a beautiful head of hair "chopped off" to me ... I was trying to explain to my mom, who has chin length hair. Hair is so pretty -- why not grow it long and show it off (if that's your thing, of course)!

rock007junkie
March 11th, 2013, 07:22 AM
My fear pertains to public transportation and people. Whenever I get on the train or subway I tuck my hair into my sweater or shirt. I don't know what freak I may have behind me tugging on my hair, touching, making it dirty or possibly cutting it.

ravenheather
March 11th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I am afraid it won't grow to waist or that it will be too thin to look good.

KittyBird
March 11th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I'd like to have knee length or longer hair, but I fear that my scalp may be too sensitive to handle the weight of the buns.

Another thing I worry about is that someone will come and cut my hair off, for example while I'm outside or while I'm sleeping. I don't like wearing my braid down my back for that reason, I prefer to put it over my shoulder. Buns feel safer, as they would be more difficult to cut off :scissors:

rags
March 11th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I don't know if mine is irrational or not, but I have two. One is that, despite having had TB length hair all through my twenties and a lot of my 30's that due to bad health and increasing age it won't get there again, or will be so thin at the ends it will look awful.

The other one is that I will have to go back on the med (or a different one) that caused me to lose well over half my hair and chop it short last time. That one I worry about a lot.

So having been through that, and the fact that my health is very bad now and I take a lot of medication, I'm not really sure if mine are irrational or not!

Neneka
March 11th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I fear that I will eventually pull all my hair out with a comb and I am going bald because of that. shudder: I really fear and hate combing and brushing. My Tangle Teezer is really gentle but I fear it's not gentle enough.

DaniVerde
March 11th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I fear that it will continue to grow, but get curlier and curlier as it grows (it is!) and I'll have hair to hip but it'll look APL shudder:

kittengirl
March 11th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I experienced a tremendous shed three months postpartum after my first child. I was breastfeeding, so hormones, yeah. Scary handfuls coming out into my bathtub (mermaid rinses) and creeping me out. I didn't notice any long term effects on my hairt thickness or growth, but that was 13 years ago, and I wasn't trying to grow my hair out then. I went on nursing and getting pregnant two year later, and more nursing and then pregnant in two years again. So that was my hormone cycle for sure. At some point I had BSL hair according to the photos, but it's pretty much a blur. I was straightening then, and it looked a little thin in the photo. That was eight years ago.

Any how, my fear, not so irrational, is that at waist my ends will be too thin to look very good.

That sounds scary! That's what I'm afraid of...handfuls coming out. I guess I'll just have to baby it (no pun intended) and take good care of it and hope for the best. :(

alexis917
March 11th, 2013, 12:34 PM
My hair isn't very long right now, but I still refuse to put it anywhere near fans!!
I'm worried it'll get caught.

kittengirl
March 11th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I worry that my hair will not grow past waist without looking scraggly on the ends. I worry i'll never be able to achieve a nice thick hemline at hip length (which is my goal.)

I also worry about getting some sort of health issue where my hair begins to thin. Thinning hair does not run in my family genetics, but getting sick and having my hair fall out is terrifying to me.

I worry about the health issue thing too. I think it is that we spend so much care and energy on our hair that the thought of losing it does seem very scary.

ladylowtide
March 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I have awful nightmares that I go into to get my hair cut and that I end up with my dreaded fear, medium length hair wish bangs :(! The other night I had a dream I cut an undercut :(!

renia22
March 11th, 2013, 12:59 PM
- When my son was little I had a fear that he would get a hold of the scissors & give me a haircut when I was sleeping
-When going out for Hibachi I sit waaaayyyyyy back when they set the onion on fire so I don't catch fire (even though I don't wear hairspray)
-Going bald (which isn't really irrational because I have gone through some pretty nasty sheds before)

ghost
March 11th, 2013, 01:09 PM
My biggest irrational fear is very similar to the OP's -that my hair won't ever grow past tailbone, which is the longest I've ever had it. It probably would have kept growing if I didn't cut it back to APL, but I don't think I'll let go of that fear until I'm at least past classic.

I'm also afraid that I'll compulsively chop off my hair even though I don't want to. Like I'll develop Alien Hand Syndrome, or something else will compel me to do it.

Anabell
March 11th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Maybe my fear isn't so irrational- I have a chem lab in the university, and I afraid that some of the chemicals will ruin my hair. Of course, in this lab my hair is up in tight bun (I can't take the risk that it will get undone) and if some acid or something will spilled on my head I will have some bigger problems than my hair. I really upset about that lab in generally- it is an advance lab and it demand so much preparation, and we work with really dangerous chemical and there a test every week before the experiment and a report to write after. O.k. I'll stop complaining.

Loreley
March 11th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I'm terrified of getting lice, especially when I'm sitting on the bus and someone is standing beside me. I've never had lice, and I know that it's pretty easy to get rid of nowadays but I'm still paranoid. The other thing is that I fear of having cancer and losing my hair because of the treatment.

Rainbow2911
March 11th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I freaked out with every one of my post partum sheds! But I only ever got slightly thinner hair than prepregnancy. Mine happen at around a year post partum.

My biggest irrational fear is accidently spreading hair removal cream over my head. What's really crazy is that I don't even use hair removal cream...

bradlea
March 11th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Bradlea, I had the same fear as you for years. Not helped by mother actually telling me she was pretty sure I just had quite a short terminal length and I should stop trying to grow my hair because it just didn't seem to go past BSL so I might as well just enjoy changing my style more. My hair now (finally) goes all the way down my back.

Hearing that actually helps a lot! Thank you! :hifive:

My fear is that I will sleep-cut my hair.

I've never been prone to sleep walking or anything like that, but it never fails, a couple times a year I will have a hair cut dream and wake up in a panic.

Holy nightmare Batman, that is terrifying. I have haircut dreams all the time and just wake up SO RELIEVED that I didn't actually do it!

I don't know if mine is irrational or not, but I have two. One is that, despite having had TB length hair all through my twenties and a lot of my 30's that due to bad health and increasing age it won't get there again, or will be so thin at the ends it will look awful.

The other one is that I will have to go back on the med (or a different one) that caused me to lose well over half my hair and chop it short last time. That one I worry about a lot.

So having been through that, and the fact that my health is very bad now and I take a lot of medication, I'm not really sure if mine are irrational or not!

Sounds perfectly rational to me! I hope that you are as well as possible, and that your hair stays healthy and as beautiful as it looks in your sigpic. :flower:

I have awful nightmares that I go into to get my hair cut and that I end up with my dreaded fear, medium length hair wish bangs :(! The other night I had a dream I cut an undercut :(!

Your fear is my reality! hahaha. I shaved the side of my head in July, I knew I would regret it in the long run but it was fun while I had it. Now it's grown in enough to blend, but I'm just waiting for it to be long enough to go in my ponytail and not require tons of hairspray. :rolleyes:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 11th, 2013, 05:29 PM
My irrational fear - or is it rational? is that as my hair gets longer it will become damaged on the ends and I won't be able to prevent it and my hair will look awful. Will just have to baby it along and time will tell, I guess.

Oh, and a fear of getting cancer and needing Chemo and my hair all falling out, that is SO horrible I don't even want to imagine it.

kittengirl
March 11th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I notice that a lot of us seem to have a fear of getting cancer and losing our hair....you know, I'm kind of glad to know that. I thought I was the only person that paranoid!

spirals
March 11th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I know it's off topic, but "I WANT A TWENTIES BOB!" is making me :lol: because it calls to mind Cartman screaming "I WANT CHEESY POOFS!" Also, I am picturing you actually shouting that stuff and it's hilarious.

Vanille_
March 11th, 2013, 11:44 PM
I had lice a few times as a kid and it was a nightmare to get rid of. I faced a lot of teasing and I was very hurt. I swore if I ever got it again, I would shave my head. Now that I'm at hip, it really scares me.

I also fear someone will cut it maliciously.

kaydana
March 12th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I also fear someone will cut it maliciously.

This is my main fear. I had people come up behind me and cut a (fortunately fairly small and not really noticeable) chunk out of my hair on two occasions when I was younger. I know the chances of it happening again now are pretty small, but I still don't trust people around my hair.

melusine963
March 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM
That my taper will never disappear, and my hair will always be too thin and puffy to ever wear loose.

LadyCelestina
March 12th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Mine is sort of rational,I'm afraid of catching my hair on fire.Like,terribly afraid.So afraid I creep at least two metres away whenever I see someone being crazy with a lighter or matchsticks.

Bagginslover
March 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I'd say that the majority of these fears are very rational ;) Irrational fears are thing that we shouldn't be afraid of, like a phobia (like in my case, loose buttons! Ick!). The fear of having your hair cut by someone, of getting cancer, or your hair thinning, are all very possible things, so totally rational ;) (though totally legitimate, and I understand every single one of them)

bradlea
March 12th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I'd say that the majority of these fears are very rational ;) Irrational fears are thing that we shouldn't be afraid of, like a phobia (like in my case, loose buttons! Ick!). The fear of having your hair cut by someone, of getting cancer, or your hair thinning, are all very possible things, so totally rational ;) (though totally legitimate, and I understand every single one of them)

I definitely agree. Loose buttons, that is hilarious, haha. I am deathly afraid of yellow mustard and mall santas for absolutely no reason, so I get it ;D

kallarina
March 12th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Hm, I have many of the same fears.
I will get cancer or some other illness and all my hair will fall out.
I will have a shorter terminal length than my goal.
Someone will maliciously cut my hair.
I will catch my hair on fire.
I will lose a lot of hair postpartum.
But one that I have that I don't think anyone else has mentioned...
I'm terrified of growing to a certain length, and HATING it. For me, the longer my hair has gotten, the more I love it so far. I'm just afraid I'll get to classic+, and begin to hate it. Or have the urge to wear it down a lot and damage it badly. But mostly, I'm afraid that I will hate it and get frustrated and want to cut it all off.

Cania
March 13th, 2013, 02:49 AM
My hair isn't very long right now, but I still refuse to put it anywhere near fans!!
I'm worried it'll get caught.

Mine did that once. Broke the fan.

I'm scared that my hair actually looks awful, but everyone is too polite to tell me so.

Bagginslover
March 13th, 2013, 03:13 AM
I definitely agree. Loose buttons, that is hilarious, haha. I am deathly afraid of yellow mustard and mall santas for absolutely no reason, so I get it ;D
I think its hilarious too, I mean, what can a single button do to me?! They just give me the chills! En masse they're even worse-mum has a big box full of buttons, spares from clothing, ones she's bought for craft projects, I only have to hear it rattle to feel sick! I'm so odd!

kidari
March 13th, 2013, 03:44 AM
My irrational fear is that my ends are crumbling away to nothing, when that's actually not happening. It's completely healthy but yet I keep fearing that they are crumbing away, hence the constant incessant trimming for no reason. My other irrational fear is that my terminal length is waist or my hair will look thin and horrible any longer than that.

LadyCelestina
March 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I think its hilarious too, I mean, what can a single button do to me?! They just give me the chills! En masse they're even worse-mum has a big box full of buttons, spares from clothing, ones she's bought for craft projects, I only have to hear it rattle to feel sick! I'm so odd!

You're not alone.Buttons disgust me...

Tota
March 13th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I'm afraid my terminal length is shorter than my goal. I'm also terribly afraid of lice (I work with children). I'm also afraid that my hair will start to fall out because of weightloss or poor nutrition (I'm still trying to find a balanced healthy diet that would work for me). Another hair fear of mine is that my hair will somehow catch on fire or that it will get so tangled that i won't be able to detangle it.

samanthaj08
March 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM
There's this music video for a song by Paramore. In it, there's this girl with a really long, blonde braid. And this girl comes behind her and cuts it off. Oh my, it gives me goosebumps. I'd be devastated.

bradlea
March 13th, 2013, 05:11 PM
You're not alone.Buttons disgust me...

You guys should start a loose button phobia support thread :D Who knows how many other people have the same fear!?

RileyJane
March 13th, 2013, 06:18 PM
My fear is that my hair also wont grow any farther, and i will always have shortish hair (just seems it!) another one came from a weird dream i had, that my hair would grow long and then break off, or ill be wearing my hair in a bun and someone will come running up and snip my hair off!

HylianGirl
March 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I am afraid that my hair will get really thin when I'm older, but there are many women on my mom's side of the family that have that problem (some of them have hair so thin you can actually see their scalp). My dad's family seems to have thick hair even when older, and I really hope my hair doesn't get too thin when I get old. By the way does anyone know if I can somehow prevent it?

I am also afraid that if someday I get tired of having long hair and decide to cut it short it will never grow back again.

My fear pertains to public transportation and people. Whenever I get on the train or subway I tuck my hair into my sweater or shirt. I don't know what freak I may have behind me tugging on my hair, touching, making it dirty or possibly cutting it.

I also have that same fear. Very rarelly I go out on the streets or on public transportation with my hair loose.

Simone_Fatale
March 13th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'm afraid that I'll never look good with my natural hair texture and without heat styling, even when I reach my goal.

chen bao jun
March 13th, 2013, 09:28 PM
another fear I have is that my hair hasn't really grown. It's curly and I have a fair amount of shrinkage, so I keep thinking, it hasn't grown, and keep playing with the ends, stretching them out to remind myself I didn't imagine that there was quite a lot of growth.

chen bao jun
March 13th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I also fear someone cutting my hair or part thereof. I spent several years in schools where the other girls beat me and my sister up a lot and threatened to cut off our hair. They never did cut our hair, but I still do hate to read stories or see videos of malicious hair cutting. I do not get why some people are so nasty.
One of the russian adoptees I am friends with had her hair cut off in the orphanage against her will. I don't know why. the orphanage director said her hair was too long and just cut it, she says. I don't know if they thought there were lice or something like that, or if the hair ended up being sold. Fortunately however, her hair is back at waistlength now and actually grew really fast from shoulder to waist. It looks lovely. However, she is still not happy about the unwanted hair cut.

Jeno86
March 13th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Not really irrational but when I was little (10), I lived in Tennessee for three years. We had to do annual lice checks at school. Well one day, I had em and pretty badly too. It took about a month to get rid of them. They "nested" in the hair above my nape. I would scratch so much, I made myself bleed. Every time that part of my head itches, I instantly think "O_O they're back!". I haven't had them since that one time but I get paranoid.

lazuliblue
March 14th, 2013, 05:08 AM
My fear at school used to be that some of the mean girls sitting behind me would chop my hair off!

They used to make comments about how I *must* have straightened it because it was so straight, how long it was, how it wasn't smooth enough...I remember one time we had an entire class debate about my hair. On another occasion they kept pulling when I was sitting in front of them.

So I guess the fear they'd chop of off wasn't too far fetched!

Louise148
March 14th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I worry that my hair is thinning. I have always had fine hair but have also always had it coloured which to some extent has plumped it up. However now I have virgin hair it feels really fine and slippery and I worry it is thinner than it used to be. I find myself examining it in the mirror alot to see if I have any thin patches and comparing it now to photos of when I was younger. I don't have any thin patches, I don't shed very much and my scalp does not show through but it is very very fine and thin and I think I am starting to obsess a little so i'm trying to just wear it up a lot and just forget about it.

cranberrymoonz
March 14th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Not really irrational but when I was little (10), I lived in Tennessee for three years. We had to do annual lice checks at school. Well one day, I had em and pretty badly too. It took about a month to get rid of them. They "nested" in the hair above my nape. I would scratch so much, I made myself bleed. Every time that part of my head itches, I instantly think "O_O they're back!". I haven't had them since that one time but I get paranoid.

I fear lices too, a lot!! They're disgusting.

hairconvictions
March 14th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I am doing a unit called recorder karate with my elementary kids and when I cut their yarn when they pass a test I'm always afraid my hair is going to get in there somehow bc I'm bent over.

Also I am extremely afraid of lice. I've had it before and I remember the horror and it wasn't even this long!!

battles
March 14th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I'm afraid that my hair will stay like this. By this, I mean with bangs growing out and awkwardly cut face framing layers and henna half grown out.

Which is really silly. It should grow out eventually, it just feels like it isn't moving AT ALL. I just really want all one length, my natural color.

Ambystoma
March 14th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I'm afraid that I'll never look good with my natural hair texture and without heat styling, even when I reach my goal.

I used to worry about that too, but the extra weight from getting longer plus finding a routine that really suits it has tamed it a lot! Plus I've gotten heaps better at heat free styling and worked out what gives a nice result (braidwaves, no! :laugh: although I live in hope that when I get to TB+ it will magically look like pre raphelite waves rather than a brushed out 80's home perm...)

I've started to get paranoid about hair thieves, reading all those articles about the growing extension trade has made me a little jumpy which is kinda silly on my part since I can see how locs or a single braid down the back would be easy to swipe but loose or in a bun doesn't seem too likely.

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Why do 'mean girls' focus on hair so much? I thought mine was an uncommon experience but it seems not.

LadyCelestina
March 15th, 2013, 08:20 AM
You guys should start a loose button phobia support thread :D Who knows how many other people have the same fear!?

That's indeed a very nice idea - discussions about which kind of button is the grossest or how just typing the word "button" makes us shiver :D oh i'm sorry i'm odd but it just makes me shiver :D

woolyleprechaun
March 15th, 2013, 08:30 AM
1) Hair thieves
2) Terminal length being short
3) Losing my mind and cutting/dying my hair without realising it conciously
4) losing my hair due to a medication..chemo or something
5) headlice moving in and refusing to go
6) some random stranger defiling it whilst on the bus
No doubt I'll think of more in a minute....

joflakes
March 15th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'm worried that my hair will have too much cut off. I need it trimmed but I'm petrified!

scorpio17910
March 15th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I'm really afraid of my hair catching on fire or a hairtie melting in my hair . . . though it's not really irrational, being a firefighter, but it still terrifies me!

And also my hair getting caught in a fan. I actually lean away from anything even resembling a fan! I know I look a little goofy, but I don't want my hair getting caught!! shudder:

noelgirl
March 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Last night I tried a heating patch on my upper back, and even though my hair was tied up and out of the way, I was worried that it would get too hot and singe my clothing, which in turn would singe my hair. None of this happened, by the way - it didn't even get hot enough to provide much relief, and apparently I ripped it off in my sleep, since I found the patch on the floor next to my bed when I woke up. I've apparently figured out how to do a messy bun in my sleep, too - if I go to bed with my hair down, I wake up with a bun. Protective instincts kick in, I suppose.

I also get very paranoid on public transit. Not that someone's going to come up and cut it - around here, iPhones are the hot item - but just that it will get snagged in the back of the seat, or between another person's body or bag and the seat. I'm pretty much convinced that most of the breakage and splits I have are from when that's happened before, and the person who's trapping my hair soooo doesn't even notice or care. And for that reason, I'm super-careful with my bag if another longhair is sitting in front of me. To defend against this, I usually either put my hood up or do a quick updo before I board.

kaydana
March 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Last night I tried a heating patch on my upper back, and even though my hair was tied up and out of the way, I was worried that it would get too hot and singe my clothing, which in turn would singe my hair. None of this happened, by the way - it didn't even get hot enough to provide much relief, and apparently I ripped it off in my sleep, since I found the patch on the floor next to my bed when I woke up. I've apparently figured out how to do a messy bun in my sleep, too - if I go to bed with my hair down, I wake up with a bun. Protective instincts kick in, I suppose.

I also get very paranoid on public transit. Not that someone's going to come up and cut it - around here, iPhones are the hot item - but just that it will get snagged in the back of the seat, or between another person's body or bag and the seat. I'm pretty much convinced that most of the breakage and splits I have are from when that's happened before, and the person who's trapping my hair soooo doesn't even notice or care. And for that reason, I'm super-careful with my bag if another longhair is sitting in front of me. To defend against this, I usually either put my hood up or do a quick updo before I board.

That's just awesome. I need to learn how to bun my hair in my sleep! On the occasions I don't put my hair up before bed I just wake up with a knotted mass of knots in the morning.

Vampyria
March 16th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I have a fear that my hair will taper to much when it gets past APL, and I will have to cut it back. That's why I can't stop trimming even if it's not necessary. I've always had extremely tapered ends due to the damage, and I really want them to be thick this time since I'm doing nothing to damage my hair.

Also losing even more thickness, even though the shedding decreased a lot.