PDA

View Full Version : Hair and OCD (gah!) and a ficcare question

Kaelee
March 10th, 2013, 11:09 AM
So yesterday I wore my hair in a flipped cinnamon bun with my ficcare most of the day, and it worked perfectly. Today, I am having to readjust it constantly...and I can't figure out why.

Then it dawned on me....my hair isn't behaving any worse than it was yesterday, but I'm tired due to the time change and when I'm tired, my OCD goes haywire. When my OCD goes haywire...if I can FEEL my hair at all, it aggravates me to no end and I have to fix it. :mad: So every time my clip slips a little, which would normally not bother me (and right now is not bothering me), even though my hair isn't pulling and it's still held quite securely....I have to fix it. When I'm stressed out, or tired. Which explains why I can wear hairstyles at home that give me fits as soon as I leave my apartment, and I could never figure out why.

It's not my hair, it's me. :rolleyes: (At least now that I'm aware of it I can get over it?)

Rant over...now on to my question, when I wear my ficcare, even though it is holding quite well, it slips to the side (rotates so that the spring end is pointing downward) regardless of how I put it in my hair to start. This isn't necessarily uncomfortable...sometimes (but not always) looks a little funny and seems to hold just as well...does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to keep it from happening? (My hair is really slippery and straight.)

Carolyn
March 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM
It happens to me quite often. I don't worry about it unless the Ficcare starts pulling on a stand of hair. Then I readjust it. No one has ever noticed any of my hair toys so I don't think a slightly askew Ficcare is anything to worry about. If you are having one of those days just tell yourself it doesn't matter as long as it's comfortable.

jacqueline101
March 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I got to the point where I let my hair do its thing.

Kaelee
March 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM
It happens to me quite often. I don't worry about it unless the Ficcare starts pulling on a stand of hair. Then I readjust it. No one has ever noticed any of my hair toys so I don't think a slightly askew Ficcare is anything to worry about. If you are having one of those days just tell yourself it doesn't matter as long as it's comfortable.

I'm glad it's not just me!!!

I've been having issues with updos for a long time before I figured out I'm just over-sensitive. :lol: I'm not used to being able to "feel" my hair moving when I move either.

Carolyn
March 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I think the weight of the Ficcare on your head takes some getting used to. The end with the hinge has to weigh more than the pointed end so it has to be balanced just right. As we move around through the day the heavier end will start to move around. There are days when a Ficcare works beautifully and holds like a rock and then there are other days when they turn and pull painfully. If I have one of those days, I'm always prepared with alternate hair toys. A pair of sticks or a fork will often work better on certain days but I have no explanation as to why.

Kaelee
March 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I think the weight of the Ficcare on your head takes some getting used to. The end with the hinge has to weigh more than the pointed end so it has to be balanced just right. As we move around through the day the heavier end will start to move around. There are days when a Ficcare works beautifully and holds like a rock and then there are other days when they turn and pull painfully. If I have one of those days, I'm always prepared with alternate hair toys. A pair of sticks or a fork will often work better on certain days but I have no explanation as to why.

Despite being about 1/4" shy of a solid BSL (yay!) I am severely updo challenged. :lol: Part of this is lack of trying/practice, I know. I struggled at APL...gave up temporarily, and am only just realizing "hey! My hair's long enough to do things with now!!!" I have a beautiful custom fork and a couple of sticks that I really love....but I don't wear them because I haven't got the hang of it yet. I live in an octopus clip every day pretty much, or scrunchies, but I'd like to be able to mix it up, so I'm really happy to be able to wear ficcares now (though I wouldn't wear them to work because who knows what the oil and solvents at my workplace would do to them!!!)

I like changing it up though because I know wearing the same style all the time can be damaging, so I'm happy to have some length to play with now.

Unofficial_Rose
March 10th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I find it also depends on the ficcare. I have a blue jean and a black marble border. The blue jean is pretty much always comfortable, the black one rarely is, possibly because of the stiffer hinge? It's really trial and error to get it not to pull. Until I got the thing, I never understood why people thought ficcares could be uncomfortable.

You might also have some days where your scalp is more sensitive. :shrug:

Kaelee
March 10th, 2013, 02:11 PM
You might also have some days where your scalp is more sensitive. :shrug:

I suspect this is also true. I'm one of those people who can become quite irritated by a tag in a shirt, for example (though only at certain times, mostly when I'm stressed out.)

midbackorbust
March 10th, 2013, 10:50 PM
:0 I have OCD and issues with it relating to my hair too!
Haha I'm so glad I'm not the only one :)