PDA

View Full Version : Glycerin

Suze2012
March 10th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I'm never sure whether I'm in the wavies or curlies bracket but I was doing a bit of reading up on the Curly 3's thread today and noticed a few people mentioning Glycerin.

I decided to give it a try and just went to get some Glycerin & Rosewater £2.32 from Boots just to give it a try out - then if it's OK I'll get all the bits to make up my own if I can get hold of all the ingredients (maybe try a different scent).

I have just had a squirt of it on my hair - possibly a bit much and my hair is almost dry...but anyway...

I sprayed some on my arm....and got some on my hands and it feels lush! So beautifully soft!!

Do you use Glycerin for hair or skin?
Any thoughts?
Any nice smelling recipes?
My only thing is I would rather avoid using aloe in a recipe as it dries my hair out.

PS I am a cowasher but very new to all these different kinds of treatments (except for my addiction to coconut oil as a hair overnight treatment and (the best ever) eye make up remover...

jacqueline101
March 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Sounds lovely I've never tried it.

HairFaerie
March 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I use the glycerin & Rosewater on my hair and it makes it feel so soft, silky and AWESOME!

You are in England so it shouldn't be a problem, but I know in dry climates, glycerin can make hair dry/frizzy.

But, in a more moist climate...it does wonders for me! :)

HairFaerie
March 10th, 2013, 09:50 AM
The one I bought came in a spray bottle and I just sprayed it directly on my hair. I use it on damp, towel dried hair and then again after it has dried completely. Magnificent!

sisi33
March 10th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Glycerin is amazing- mixed with rosewater it should be outstanding. I do like to use it on my face, as well as hair, but make sure that you seal in the moisture with some sort of oil or serum! I don't have any recipes, as mostly I just get a little blob of it, and run it over my face, or through my hair, starting at the ends. I MUCH prefer it to aloe, and it seems to leave a very nice shine on your hair, after a couple of uses.

Suze2012
March 10th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Really honestly I thought it would make me frizz of behave badly.
I was having a good hair day today and I did spray er...probably too much of it on...
But...it has dried off and has made me have a 'better' hair day.
I have ringlets all over..and they are shining....woooooooo!!!!

I wanna go back out so I can walk around and 'bounce' Hehe!

This is definitely worth a real test and it still feels amazing on my skin.

The ingredients though...I'm not so sure about...there's paraben's in there...they aren't good are they?

'Aqua, Glycerin, Isopropyl alcohol, Methylparaben, Sodium citrate, Citric acid, Parfum, Eugenaria caryophyllus leaf oil'

lapushka
March 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I used to have a glycerin spray 50/50 water and it was lovely (can be a bit heavy if 50/50 though, you might want to dilute it further).

Suze2012
March 11th, 2013, 02:25 AM
I used to have a glycerin spray 50/50 water and it was lovely (can be a bit heavy if 50/50 though, you might want to dilute it further).

See, this is where I lack in common sense. Haha! It was a bit heavy on my hair yesterday but I wouldn't have thought of diluting it - I will bear that in mind while I'm trying it out...thanks.:)

I put some but not too much on wet hair this morning - I can tell where I've missed a bit though as it doesn't feel as soft.
I'm in shiny ringlets heaven at the moment...but will report back later as it's going to be freezing cold and windy today, snow is forecast too.

kidari
March 11th, 2013, 04:33 AM
When I'm damp bunning or doing any sort of heat-free curls I mist usually with a mixture of mostly rosewater with maybe 20% glycerin and 20% aloe vera gel, and several drops of oil (avocado or camellia). It helps to set the hair and when I use it my hair looks so glossy and shiny. If I don't use it, it doesn't have that same effect.

Firefly
March 11th, 2013, 06:28 AM
I have to be careful with glycerin when the weather is dry, but it does wonders for frizz in humid conditions!

Redhead Rebel
March 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Is rosewater similar to rosehip tea or better? I find rosehip tea makes my hair soft but it doesn't last long.

In2wishin
March 11th, 2013, 02:57 PM
The ingredients though...I'm not so sure about...there's paraben's in there...they aren't good are they?

'Aqua, Glycerin, Isopropyl alcohol, Methylparaben, Sodium citrate, Citric acid, Parfum, Eugenaria caryophyllus leaf oil'

Parabens are one of those categories of things for which there are questions about but no concrete answers. They are the most widely used preservatives in personal care products. Read about them and decide for yourself. (Many "paraben free" products use other preservatives like DMDM hydantoin, urea, and the 'nones (methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone) which release formaldehyde that has its own questions)

To be honest, I would be more concerned with the Isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) which can be very drying.

cwarren
March 12th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I live in a dry climate and my hair reacts horribly to glycerin. Two words: Dry Tangles :(

Magalo
March 12th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Glycerin and rosewater is my new love. My hair feel so silky. I apply it on damp hair after showering, and on my ends before braiding/bunning and also before bed. lol.

Suze2012
March 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM
This week has been really windy here and I never wear my hair up.but neither do I put my fingers through my hair except when finger combing with condish.
I haven't had tangle problems.

I'm going to see how it goes and see if it gets dry and I'll stop using it if that happens..aloe vera gel made my hair dry...badly!

So far I love it...early days yet though....