PDA

View Full Version : Going out in public with heavily oiled scalp?

DarleneH
March 9th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I'm enjoying giving my scalp a heavy oiling with Indian oils on Friday nights when I turn in for the night and then waiting 'til Sunday to wash it out. It is extremely noticeable for several inches along the hair shafts. This is fine if I know I'm not going anywhere on Saturday, but if I do want to venture out in public is there any style I can turn this into to make it presentable or at least socially acceptable? I mean for when I don't have time for washing etc., like if a friend calls at the last minute to go to a movie or shopping. My hair is waist length now.

Ligeia_13
March 9th, 2013, 05:53 PM
A crown braid perhaps? If you braid close enough to the roots, you won't be able to see much oiliness.

ejking2
March 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Hello fellow Mississippian :)

I think I'd go with a hat, scarf, or bandana. Maybe cornrows or a similar braided style would work as well.

Wildcat Diva
March 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Any time I bun and my hair is oily it just looks like I have product on it. However, I have gotten to where I don't care anymore if it looks greasy when I bun it. That being said.... If you dress nice and wear pretty hairsticks it will just look sleek.

rock007junkie
March 9th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I find that if you braid it the hair looks less greasy.

RavennaNight
March 9th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah, what Wildcat Diva said. If you scrape it back into a bun it will just look sleek. It's a great opportunity to showcase some hair sticks. An added bonus is they always end up being a conversation piece. At least they do around here, people always take interest in how one holds all of the hair with a stick.

Mandie
March 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM
I usually use a bun or a tight french braid. My hair makes itself incredibly oily without my help, I use those tricks to stretch washes.

Carolyn
March 9th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Slick it back into a low ballerina or sock bun. No one will be able to tell if it's wet or dirty.

Mommyof4
March 9th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I always just pull my hair into a sleek bun.. It looks like I have heavily gelled hair when I use my BBB to brush it back into a pony tail, then put it up in hair sticks, or a bun... I've even done a french braid to the side.. (hunger games) and just made sure I BBB'd enough to keep all the hair laying together, it just looks like I have product in..

Mesmerise
March 9th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Hmm I don't know... it depends how self conscious you are ;). Last year, I accidentally made a cup of regular tea with coconut oil in it, and it tasted AWFUL (I will drink peppermint tea with coconut oil, but not regular) and I got this bright idea to put it through my hair. Well, I did my hair (while still wet) and went to work. It was only an hour or so later I realised how oily my hair looked (and this wasn't heavily oiled either), and I felt mortified ALL DAY (although my friend and co worker assured me nobody else would notice).

girlcat36
March 9th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I went out with a heavily oiled scalp today. Twin braids and a baseball cap worked well for me.

McFearless
March 9th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Do you intentionally put the oil on the hair itself? If not a dropper will help you avoid that so you can keep the oil in for longer without the hair becoming greasy. Hats, scarves, bandanas, etc is an option too.

ravenreed
March 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I don't like how hair looks heavily oiled, and would only wear it out covered with something.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I don't mind wearing it out during the day after heavy oiling - I just put it in a bun and it looks sleek. (that's what I tell myself anyway, lol).

DancingQueen
March 10th, 2013, 01:21 AM
How about a hat? You can get a lot of nice ones, and it add a little to your style. :)

woolyleprechaun
March 10th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Personally I wear a hat :) If its summer, a bandanna or something. Oh, my favorite thing to do is make a high, messy bun with spin pins and wear one of those dreadlock bandanna things (those bandannas that look like a fine knitted circular scarf, like a mahoosive fabric headband) It looks cute, quirky and covers my oiled roots :)

LadyCelestina
March 10th, 2013, 05:21 AM
First of all,people rarely notice.And if they do,they probably don't really care.

I'd put it up in a tight,smooth-brushed bun.If you don't like the way your face looks with oily hair smoothly brushed back,try a topknot or any bun,just a bit higher than usually,to make it visible from the front.

jacqueline101
March 10th, 2013, 07:46 AM
I'd wear a hat or scarf.

AspenSong
March 10th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I'd just bun it. That's personally what I do...I tend to oil my hair a lot anyway, so I just pull it back and go. :)

froglet
March 10th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I oil my scalp almost daily with a little bit of castor oil so by wash day it's looking pretty rough. To go out I usually slick it back into a bun or high ponytail, then put a wide cloth headband or bandanna/headscarf around the front. This disguises the scalp and also keeps my growing out bangs from flopping down. Otherwise, in winter I can get away with pulling it all into a low ponytail then putting on a knitted slouchy hat.

Carolyn
March 10th, 2013, 11:52 AM
If by shopping you mean going to Walmart then you will fit right in with greasy hair :gabigrin: From my observations I don't think very many people in a Walmart on any given day, both customers and workers, have washed their hair recently :scared:

DarleneH
March 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM
If by shopping you mean going to Walmart then you will fit right in with greasy hair :gabigrin: From my observations I don't think very many people in a Walmart on any given day, both customers and workers, have washed their hair recently :scared:

LOL! Actually I meant more like going to mall shopping, but you are absolutely correct about Wal-Mart. ;)

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

ravenreed
March 10th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I think people notice often enough. I notice, just as I would if someone was wearing a dirty top. I prefer not to add to the long hair = dirty hair stereotype, so I cover it, or plan oilings for days when I am home.

First of all,people rarely notice.And if they do,they probably don't really care.

I'd put it up in a tight,smooth-brushed bun.If you don't like the way your face looks with oily hair smoothly brushed back,try a topknot or any bun,just a bit higher than usually,to make it visible from the front.

HintOfMint
March 10th, 2013, 09:57 PM
I've done heavily oiled hair in public, but I pulled it into twin french braids, so it just looked shiny. I actually received a few compliments actually.

4C4rly4
March 11th, 2013, 02:59 AM
I'd wear a hat :]