PDA

View Full Version : What to do with crown breakage "wisps"

citylove
March 9th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Since you all were so helpful the other day I thought I'd rely on your knowledge again. Part of what brought me back to lhc after a year or so away is that my hair isn't looking so good lately. I have quite a bit of crown breakage in addition to some other issues. I'm trying to do higher styles to avoid more breakage, s&d missions, oiling, etc. However, How do I tuck those babies away when I need to look more polished? I have a formal event tonight and I'm thinking a big ol sock bun is in order, but my wisps get outta hand. I'm afraid to use pins or clips because I don't want it to get worse. Should I do little barrettes just for tonight? What are my other options? I previously typed myself as 1c/M/ii if it matters.

Yozhik
March 9th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I've had some luck with aloe vera gel, which is light and provides a weak hold.

YMMV, however, according to inclement weather and/or humidity.

Nebulae
March 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Maybe some aloe vera gel, or a little oil? If that's not enough, do you have a nice headband you could wear? Another thought I had was to tie a ribbon as a headband. You could put a piece of the same ribbon in the bun too if you like, to match. Depends of course on what you are wearing and how formal this event is. Just an idea. :)

ravenreed
March 9th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Are you sure they are breakage? I always have wisps from new growth, and because of my texture, they stick out like a little halo!

NightOwl26
March 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I suggest shine hairspray and smooth it down with a fine tooth comb. A more natural approach I like As I Am smoothing gel from Sallys.

minxe
March 9th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Smooth them down with a clean toothbrush and some hairspray or gel.

czech it out
March 9th, 2013, 01:27 PM
For special occasions/polished looks, I use this garnier putty (http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_STYLING^FRUCTI S_STYLE^STYLE_DISCOVER^STYLE_FIBER_GUM_PUTTY). It works really well, doesn't look too wet like some gels, and washes out without damage from what I can see. I think any styling gel would work as well, but you might need something stronger than aloe.

Jenny31557
March 9th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I simply use water and a fine tooth comb or even just my hand to smooth any flyaways and usually when it drys it will look very sleek.

cmg
March 9th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I second Aloe Vera gel or a slightly heavier oil like olive or jojoba oil. A quickfix could be any odd bodybutter on the palms and do light strokes over the hair. Water alone would not do it for me, I look really funny sometimes :p

Hair gel?