PDA

View Full Version : caution mixing oils together?

mazza
March 9th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Not sure if I posted this in the right section of the forums but if anyone can spare a few minutes, that be great :)

I was looking to get hold of some ingredient for a mixture that will help me with my minor MPB. My plan was to mix these all with Castor oil. I am new all of this mixing. Rosemary was one of the ingredients but I was getting mixed reviews on Rosemary oil. Some say they put the oil directly and works fine. Whilst others have said, if you put it on undiluted it would cause more hair loss.
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40030

I think I need a bit of help with mixing Rosemary. It just sounds like it should be handle with extra care and scary if not done right:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/478575-can-i-combine-rosemary-almond-oil-together/

The total ingredient I got planned is: clear castor oil, olive oil (which one is best?), Rosemary, fenugreek, alma, brahmi, saw palmetto.

lydiajo
March 9th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Most essential oils should be diluted. 1 drop/ml or 5 drops/ teaspoon or 30 drops/ounce.

Sharysa
March 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I mix 60 drops of my sweetgrass essential oil per tablespoon of body-grade almond oil. That's around 10%, which is the highest anyone should go for essential oil ratios.

ravenreed
March 9th, 2013, 11:36 AM
The only EO I use undiluted is tea tree oil, and even then I don't use that on my scalp. Last time I had a major shed (after a surgery), I used rosemary, and tea tree in my oil mix to help slow it down. The oils I typically use on my scalp are a mix of castor, argan, and camellia, and I add a few drops of EO to that. Then I add a bit more argan oil to whatever is left and oil the length. I usually apply it about 30 minutes before CO-ing it out again, as I find leaving oil in my hair leads to attracting lint and such, which increases my tangles.

TitaniaOfFairys
March 9th, 2013, 12:40 PM
The only EO I use undiluted is tea tree oil, and even then I don't use that on my scalp. Last time I had a major shed (after a surgery), I used rosemary, and tea tree in my oil mix to help slow it down. The oils I typically use on my scalp are a mix of castor, argan, and camellia, and I add a few drops of EO to that. Then I add a bit more argan oil to whatever is left and oil the length. I usually apply it about 30 minutes before CO-ing it out again, as I find leaving oil in my hair leads to attracting lint and such, which increases my tangles.

Yes, tee tree is the one that can be used undiluted. I think it would be too harsh for the scalp though, but it was really great for my acne on my face.
I'm not sure, but I think you can use lavender EO undiluted too.

ravenreed
March 9th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I tried tea tree oil undiluted on my scalp once, and it itched and itched.

Yes, tee tree is the one that can be used undiluted. I think it would be too harsh for the scalp though, but it was really great for my acne on my face.
I'm not sure, but I think you can use lavender EO undiluted too.

mazza
March 23rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks all for taking the time to reply back :)

finally managed to get hold of some Brahmi Oil and amla oil but cant seem to find any saw palmetto or Fenugreek oils in the UK. Can anyone recommend a good source to get these? I would have thought Holland and barratt would have sold them but they only sell them in capsule form. Or should I substitute Fenugreek oil for something else?

leilasahhar
March 23rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
I use Redwood Roots, a mist that has rosemary in it..so far Its been amazing for my hair and no shedding.

Naiadryade
March 23rd, 2013, 04:42 PM
I mix oils and essential oils together all the time, and nothing bad happens. Do dilute them as others have said. And just be sure you like all the carrier oils individually for your particular head/hair before making a big batch of the mix. Extra virgin olive oil is great for my hair, but it would be too heavy for my scalp. YMMV on those things. In many ways I wish I had never mixed my castor oil with almond oil, because it turned out the almond oil makes my roots look greasy faster.

As far as fenugreek goes, you could just get whole or powdered fenugreek (from a supermarket or Indian grocer) and infuse your oil mix with that if you can't find fenugreek oil. As for saw palmetto... go to Florida? Or get the capsules, empty them into the oil, and infuse that too.

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2013, 05:11 PM
It is important to know there are two classifications for oils.
1. Carrier oil -- such as Almond Oil, Apricot Oil, Coconut Oil (my fave)
2. Essential oil - oil which carries a scent such as Rosemary, Fenugreek, Grapefruit oil.
I have only ever oiled the top of my hair; the length only. Never on the scalp; and rarely as a prewash application. Just oil the length.
Most essential oil comes with a bit of Carrier Oil such as Jojoba Oil, but if mixing oils, be sure to add in some carrier oil if blending a whole mixture together. There are books on oil recipes: I have one such book gotten decades ago, probably out of print now.
Beware of applying essential oil directly to skin as some oils have side effects such as increasing heart rates and blood pressure, not to mention exposure to sun.
Lots to lookout for. There are sites that contain this information.
Look at it before pursuing.
heidi w.

Kaelee
March 23rd, 2013, 08:43 PM
OT but Heidi w!!! I wondered where you went!!!! Glad to have you back! ;)

mazza
March 24th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks all again. I look into the books soon. I did find this if anyone wants to use this for guidance:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/180334-how-to-mix-massage-oil-and-essential-oil/

The redwood roots mist sounds really tempting :)

My mum might have some fenugreek powder some where, but doesnt that need to be mix into a blender? It sounds like it might make it thicker? :confused:

Is using Essential oils compulsory with mixing other oils? What would be the a good EO for a dry/oily scalp. My scalp is odd, its dry but oily as well if that makes any sense?

Naiadryade
March 24th, 2013, 03:13 PM
If you leave the fenugreek powder in the oil for a month, then strain it, the oil should then contain most of the properties of the fenugreek, I believe. Though I have not specifically researched whether the specific constituents of fenugreek are oil-soluble versus water- or alcohol-soluble. Anyone know for sure?

You don't have to use EO's at all, you can just use the "carrier" oils alone or mixed with each other--that's fine! What is compulsory is diluting EO's in a carrier oil if you choose to use EO's.

I just have a dry scalp so I haven't looked into what EO's are good for a dry/oily scalp. but you might want to look into EO's that are know to "balance" sebum production. Off the top of my head, I believe both lavender and rosemary might be good for you.

Celtic Morla
March 24th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Essential oils are concentrated aroma compounds of plants, because they contain essences of the plants they distilled from, they can contain irritants. They must be diluted in carrier oils to remove the risk of serious allergic reaction. It is not recommended to use them full strength on the skin. One need to be aware of possible reactions between any oils. Always do spot tests on your arm before trying on your scalp because certain people will react badly to oils that are even considered mostly no irritating. I cannot tolerate jojoba oil at all. If I try a shampoo and have a specific reaction I can almost always find jojoba on the label!

There are a few good book on just oils alone, I wish I had not packed mine up I would tell you its name! It is a small pocket book and it has descriptions of all types of oils recommended uses and dilutions. I highly suggest you learn a bit more about oils as it will make everything a lot easier.