PDA

View Full Version : Stringy, thin, clumpy hair

qijino1236
March 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I have shorter stringy, thin, and clumpy hair I try to put all my hair in a high bun or ponytail but some of it always falls out of the hairband due to maybe the stringyness and thinness? It is the front bangs and the front side bangs that come out of the bun or ponytail. Maybe it's just the current shortness of my hair but think it may have something to do with the stringyness or thinness. Any advice on making my hair less stringy and thin(through products or homemade hair remedy's) and/or ways to prevent hair from falling out of my hairband?

Example from random picture: I end up looking like this:
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a611/QuinnQuiver/ashorthighponytail2_zps757d71fe.png
or from "The Walking Dead"(without the blood :) ) :
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a611/QuinnQuiver/awalkingdead_zpsa8c6b1da.png
when I would like it to be like this:
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a611/QuinnQuiver/ashorthighponytail_zpscc4fe0c3.png

Kwantslonghair
March 9th, 2013, 04:30 AM
You might try oiling it to help it stay sleek..

jasper
March 9th, 2013, 05:37 AM
That is my hair too, and I don't think product will help with the stringy and clumpy. I just find product to accentuate the stringy and clumpy! A BBB is the best thing I have found for smoothing hair into a bun or ponytail, and then if I want bangs or fly always to stay put and not start sticking out, I would have to resort to pins and gel or hair spray, and then not let anything (clothes, seat backs, bag straps) rub.

longNred
March 9th, 2013, 06:19 AM
It's probably just the length, shorter pieces escape... Have you thought about using cassia at all? For the thinness? There's quite a few threads on cassia if you're unfamiliar with it. It makes my hair feel much thicker whenever I use it.

catasa
March 9th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Regarding the stringiness, maybe clarifying with a deep-cleaning shampoo would help? Sometimes I believe that buildup can cause lankiness and stringiness. I donīt know your routine, but also if you are using conditioner maybe your hair would be better without it, or with less?

Otherwise I also think it is mostly the length. I actually cut a little of the face-framing hair to around cheek-bone length too be able to get this behaviour, since I like how it softens the look of updo:s. Probably you will have to use pins or something until your hair is longer (if you are growing it).

Good luck! :)

qijino1236
March 9th, 2013, 07:39 AM
That is my hair too, and I don't think product will help with the stringy and clumpy. I just find product to accentuate the stringy and clumpy! A BBB is the best thing I have found for smoothing hair into a bun or ponytail, and then if I want bangs or fly always to stay put and not start sticking out, I would have to resort to pins and gel or hair spray, and then not let anything (clothes, seat backs, bag straps) rub.
Yeah, I have been thinking about getting a BBB or something similar, never tried that before, what is the best type of BBB?

qijino1236
March 9th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Regarding the stringiness, maybe clarifying with a deep-cleaning shampoo would help? Sometimes I believe that buildup can cause lankiness and stringiness. I donīt know your routine, but also if you are using conditioner maybe your hair would be better without it, or with less?

Otherwise I also think it is mostly the length. I actually cut a little of the face-framing hair to around cheek-bone length too be able to get this behaviour, since I like how it softens the look of updo:s. Probably you will have to use pins or something until your hair is longer (if you are growing it).

Thanks for the advice! If you use one, what type of clarifying deep-cleaning shampoo do you use?

lapushka
March 9th, 2013, 07:45 AM
It's probably just the length, shorter pieces escape... Have you thought about using cassia at all? For the thinness? There's quite a few threads on cassia if you're unfamiliar with it. It makes my hair feel much thicker whenever I use it.

Unless the OP has blonde or very light hair, then the cassia will stain yellow (golden blonde).

catasa
March 9th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the advice! If you use one, what type of clarifying deep-cleaning shampoo do you use?

I use Matrix Pro Solutionist Alternate Action Clarifying shampoo (I think it is named). It may be that they have changed the series somewhat, it is a large bottle and some time since I bought it, but they should have something similar. I have also tried the clarifying/chelating shampoo in the Joico K-Pak series but I do not like that so much, for me it feels a little coating in itself and it does contain silicone as far as I remember, which I think is strange in a clarifying product.

Anyway, the Matrix shampoo is quite harsh (as clarifying shampoos are usually I guess), so even if I donīt otherwise use conditioner I do usually follow it up with a deep moisturizing treatment (I normally wash with a diluted non-SLS shampoo and only use some pure mineral oil as a leave-in for moisture) .

If you canīt find a "specialized" clarifying shampoo, a normal SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) shampoo without a lot of moisturizing and/or coating ingredients such as -cones may work as well. I think it may be easiest to find this kind of shampoo among the really cheap or "non-allergenic"-marked products.

Suze2012
March 9th, 2013, 09:35 AM

I was thinking the same..
My hair is quite fine and doesn't usually go clumpy..but when it does or when it has done previously it's been build up of product of some kind.

I like the Nutrogena clartfying shampoo...it's been rebranded since I last used it and is now called Anti-residue. I used to use it once a week when I used serums and that kind of thing on my hair and it worked a treat and wasn't as harsh as some clarifyers.

Also it looks like it needs a little bit more growth for what you're wanting to achieve.
For the record though...it doesn't look bad...it looks nice. I am a fan of a more relaxed look when people put their hair up though.

katiebeans
March 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Your walking dead reference made me giggle :D I agree, I think it has mostly to do with your length. I find boar bristle brushed do a really good job at brushing stray hairs up into my ponytails and buns. You can also resort to bobby pins or pretty headbands. As far as the stringiness, I can't really help you there.

Wiggy Stardust
March 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Stringyness is more of a straighter hair thing than a thin hair thing. My hair strings and I have thick hair. As for ponytails, I believe you have shorter strands that escape. Most women get a sleek ponytail like the one pictured with hairspray or gel.

embee
March 9th, 2013, 05:27 PM
When my thin stringy hair got long enough it stopped doing that.

jasper
March 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I have been thinking about getting a BBB or something similar, never tried that before, what is the best type of BBB?

I don't know. I got mine years ago from Sally's beauty supply or some place like it. It is a paddle shape one, not a round one. Short bristles that are fairly flexible, tightly packed.

islandboo
March 12th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I have thin stringy hair past my tailbone and sadly, it still does that! I have wisps around my face that never grow longer then about 6" so I can't get that sleek look without hairspray or gel, which I don't generally like to use. I just live with them, or use an elastic headband to hold them back.