PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out just a little

SnowyDream
March 7th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hello all, I was browsing the internet last night and came across a very disturbing article about a suave product. This disturbs me greatly as I really like suave and I have a years supply of suave professionals almond and shea butter shampoo and conditioner. I realize this isn't the same product that the women sued over but it is by the same company and it has me kind of terrified of what it might be doing to my hair if it did that to their hair. I had a really bad panic attack after reading this, I really don't want to throw out my stockpile. What should I do here? I'm a little terrified to wash my hair as all I have is suave stuff and trying new stuff is tricky for me. I'm picky about the products I use, I prefer natural products but I don't have a ton of money to spend. I've also tried baking soda for a year and it was a nightmare. I've heard that natural sls free shampoos and no cones make your hair look bad. I have used this shampoo for about four months and my hair is still intact but that article still has me a little freaked out.

This is the article that freaked me out:
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/money/consumer/women-who-say-suaves-keratin-product-melted-damaged-hair-file-suit

RavenBaby
March 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM
If I were you I wouldn't worry, your not using the straightening kit right? this sounds like a fault in that particular product and I really would never expect another product of theirs to cause problems. Did you notice any problems/side effects of the products you used before? If not, don't worry for nothing.

Salmonberry
March 7th, 2013, 02:04 PM
It sounds like it was an at home hair straightening kit. Any product that straightens/relaxes hair and really does what it says it's supposed to do is doing so by altering the molecular structure in the hair. This can definitely cause damage/melting. If you get your hair permed/straightened in a salon it can cause damage. If the products you are using do not claim to straighten or change hair texture in any way, then I wouldn't be too concerned about your hair melting.

What you can do to be an informed consumer is look at the ingredients on the labels of the products you own. Do your research and decide if they are things you want to be using or not. There are many different affordable products you can choose from, and you don't have to swear off all shampoo or sulfates because of one lawsuit over one product by one brand.

jacqueline101
March 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't worry about it sounds like it was a home straightening kit went wrong.

lapushka
March 7th, 2013, 03:18 PM
If all you're using is shampoo and conditioner, I wouldn't worry. After all, this article is about an at-home straightening kit, big difference!

spidermom
March 7th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Nothing to worry about.

goldloli
March 7th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Yeah you must not worry about shampoo or any other products, the experiences are limited to home temporary straightening kits. There was a lot of commotion about garniers blow dry perfector and similar items by other companies, reacting with peoples previously dyed hair and making it melt off etc. On a lot of the packages it was stated 'do not use on dyed hair' something to do with a mineral reaction w/e. It seems less severe but still shocking results happened with virgin hair too. People reported hair breakage right up to the roots, mushy hair, dry hair that stuck/melted together, hair that had weird patchy discoloured bits and other issues that were much worse than a regular relaxer/bkt. Negative reviews were left on every product forum and garnier hired people to leave false positive reviews. Eventually a bunch of these products were pulled, lots of people were left very upset and suing the companies. Don't use these kits and if you see anyone attempting to, tell them to google it.

Also note that there are legitimate relaxers and at home keratin products that are used successfully by many people, obviously they come with damage, but not as bad these horror stories. People really need to do their research before they buy.

jeanniet
March 7th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Well, SLS-free shampoos and no-cones don't make your hair look bad--many of us here don't use those products for a variety of reasons. However, a problem with one Suave product doesn't necessarily mean all their products are bad, or, for that matter, that the lawsuit was legitimate. If you like the product, and your hair does fine with it, then continue using it.

lydiajo
March 7th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I have to wonder how much comes under the heading of operator error, multiple hair manipulation.

SnowyDream
March 8th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Ok, I did some more research and know that my shampoo is safe. Your comments also helped to calm me down, thanks for all the help and replies. Also be aware they have a keratin shampoo and conditioner, I don't know if it would cause any problems or not but just thought I should warn you all. I've read some scary stuff about keratin in general and since I came across that relaxer story I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it being in my shampoo. I mean, what if I had of bought the keratin shampoo instead of the regular and my hair had gotten really messed up. I would have been devastated but for now I will stick with suave since this shampoo seems legit :)