PDA

View Full Version : Growing out a bad cut, advice needed please

fungo
March 7th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I have very thick course hair which was long and badly damaged from too much dye. I have stopped using permanent dye and just use wash in wash out colour. But before Xmas I went a bit made and got loads of the bad stuff cut off. The hairdresser puts in loads of layers, short ones at the top and to be honest it did resemble a mullet. I am longing for long hair again but growing out this terrible cut isn't easy. My layers are longer but top heavy, I don't want o cut the back and loose what length I have, also my hair has a natural kink.

spidermom
March 7th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I would go for regular small trims to keep it shaped up and experiment with styles. There are lots of YouTube videos on styling. There are some fun wraps you can do with scarves, and don't forget hair-bands and slides.

This too shall pass; be patient.

jacqueline101
March 7th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I'd trim and find new styles. There are scarves and head bands.

SleepyTangles
March 7th, 2013, 01:48 PM
As a girl with her own share of ill-chosen, immediatly regretted haircuts I think some months and some benign neglect/microtrimming will help you out! My hair resembled a mushroom both when i had layers and when I had a bob...

edit: there are a lot of styling tecniques, expecially pincurls, that are difficult to do on very long hair, maybe you can experiment with them to have fun with your current haircut!

McFearless
March 7th, 2013, 07:47 PM
A few questions:
What hair dye are you currently using?
What is your natural haircolour? There might be a less damaging or more natural way for you to achieve this colour.
What is your hairtype?
And finally, did you cut off all the damage? If not, is what is left breaking off, split and of a drastically different texture?

My opinion depends on your answers but generally I wouldn't trim unless it is due to damage that is incurable or traveling up the length. You've said you don't want to lose length and if you maintain your current length with trims to grow out layers you will be losing a lot of hair and your goals will be pushed back significantly in time. A mullet is really unfortunate and I've been there before and will be having one really soon again due to a buzzcut but it isn't unbearable if you experiment with different hairstyles in the meantime and keeping your mind off of it while doing things to ensure the new hair growing in is of the best possible quality. Headbands, bandanas, and hats are a big help during this phase. Once the top layers reach shoulder length or so, the overall cut looks much better and the layers will start to blend and the overall appearance of your cut will keep improving. I really think things will be much better once you get over the initial mullet by leaving it alone. Give it time and try to be patient. You can always re-evaluate your regime if it isn't working for you. Best of luck

jojo
March 7th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Regular trims and patience . It does pass eventually, it just takes time, im sure every single member on here has been in this dilemma at some point or another. Plenty of DC treatments will keep it in good nick whilst its growing too.

fungo
March 8th, 2013, 12:38 AM
A few questions:
What hair dye are you currently using?
What is your natural haircolour? There might be a less damaging or more natural way for you to achieve this colour.
What is your hairtype?
And finally, did you cut off all the damage? If not, is what is left breaking off, split and of a drastically different texture?
k

I am using Wella Toners and Shaders to blend the new growth. My natural hair colous is medium brown with 30% grey mostly at the front. I have thick coarse hair, I have about 2 inches of old dye left it is a bit dry on the ends but is ok when I use coconut oil on it.

I will try and post picture.

fungo
March 8th, 2013, 12:45 AM
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p602/fungo25/43ec8c4fd4ee7370aecc2f115f3401c1_zpsbe5bc771.jpg

This picture was taken just before Christmas so I have some new growth. I am also wearing Roux fanciful mousse Plush Brown to help the colour. I have tried headbands but because my hair is so thick, it pushes out like wings. Luckily I can pull it all back into a ponytail, just!

fungo
March 8th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Some photos to show what's been happening in the last year
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p602/fungo25/d941f26132b0f6f17f869e4a6b9ad27f_zps635dfa86.jpg

Summer 2012, full set of blonde highlights and layers.

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p602/fungo25/b86c3f159c4e33a69963b13f3f3f7d91_zpsc2ec6d72.jpg

March 2012, dyed hair every 3 weeks to cover grey roots.

fungo
March 8th, 2013, 01:30 AM
One final photo taken this morning just to show how bad it really is ! http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p602/fungo25/b35298ec3dc882adb99f921b53492cb5_zpscac4635f.jpg

woolyleprechaun
March 8th, 2013, 02:18 AM
It doesn't look as bad as I imagined ;)
I would just leave it well alone. Let it grow out on its own, and pamper it with lots of conditioning treatments. A SMT would probably benefit you.

browneyedsusan
March 8th, 2013, 05:52 AM
I felt the same way as I grew out my pixie--didn't want to lose the length in back, so had to deal with a little mullet. I coped by pinning up the front for 3 or 4 months--June through September. I lace braided my bangs, twisted and pinned little sections back, and frenchbraided the top. I didn't go out in public without it pinned up, and tried not to look at it very much except to pin it up in the morning. In September, my hair was barely long enough to pincurl. Pincurling disguises any goofy layers and looks great! tute --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKVFr-NtIM I pincurl it pretty regularly, but it will get too long for it eventually.

fungo
March 8th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone, I tried clipping back my 'wings' and it actually looks reasonable. I am going to try and resist trimming because I really want some length. I think my hair could benefit from a little TLC, I am going to try CO washing and see if it improves the texture of my hair.