PDA

View Full Version : What is your most comfortable hairstyle?

CJCHair-stylist
March 7th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Hi fellow TLHCs,

I am prone to nasty cluster headaches and I have fine-ish hair, close to waist length. Its becoming a bit of a challenge to put up into styles that don`t bring on headaches. Even a ponytail with a single hair pulling can start a headache. I find buns on top of my head, hair sticks with hair in a twist, as well as braids work rather well if done loosely.

So my question is - what are your most comfortable hairstyles for the thickness and structure of your hair?

I`m really looking forward to your answers :-) Have a beautiful day

Anje
March 7th, 2013, 08:06 AM
For me, it's usually a braid that doesn't have an elastic securing the top (starting with a ponytail tends to make it pull). My hair follicles don't like it when my hair is directed up, so top-of-the-head buns tend to not work for me, though I know lots of people find them comfortable. Also, when I'm headachy I can rarely manage to secure a bun in a way that isn't sitting uncomfortably somehow.

woolyleprechaun
March 7th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Hmmmm, braids I would say. I find a single (or twin, if your hair is slippery) braid is quick, easy and very comfortable. Its my 'sleeping and slouching' go-to style :)

neko_kawaii
March 7th, 2013, 08:21 AM
If my scalp starts to hurt nothing but a braid will work. Things I try to avoid are high buns and anything starting with a ponytail holder. The Nautilus is good, and my other mindless go to is an Orchid/Nautilus hybrid - loop around two fingers, wrap the remainder around the base, insert stick through loop and out the other side of the bun.

kouran
March 7th, 2013, 08:26 AM
For me even braids can hurt a bit, like you said, a 'single hair pulling' is quite uncomfortable for me, so I usually do a low cinnabun, I secure it with hair pins, but only pin them on the area close to my nape, one on each side. It holds reasonably well, and if well done, it doesn't pull any hairs.

spidermom
March 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Comfort seems to vary from day to day. I would say I'm most comfortable with one or two dutch braids going down the back, then bunned. But like someone mentioned above, if one hair gets pulled a little tighter than the others, it will torment me until I take my hair down.

imaroo
March 7th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Does wearing it down count as a hairstyle? Because when I have a bad headache that's the only thing I can stand. Of course I'm not dealing with the hair lengths that most of you are.

Besides down? Maybe just a french braid if I secure it with something that doesn't pull it at all.

Magalo
March 7th, 2013, 08:38 AM
A loose, low braided bun is the most comfortable for every day, it doesn't pull and is very stable. However I always wear a braid at home (loose french, or starting at the nape) when I feel lazy and slouchy.

Naiadryade
March 7th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Twin English braids right behind my ears is my go-to easy comfy style, and has been for years. The single hair pulling thing is uncomfortable for me too, but I just make them so there's nothing pulling, which is not hard. I find that a single braid in the back is much more likely to have hairs pulling than twin braids are. Twin braids are especially comfy for me because I get to choose at any moment whether to tuck the hair going to them behind my ears, or pull it out over my ears, which helps with on-the-fly temperature regulation! Plus, I don't even have to hold my arms up above my shoulders for any period of time when making them--even comfier.

The only time I can do buns on top of my head is when my hair is wet, like to put a treatment under a shower cap when I don't care about bumps and bubbles. My hair just doesn't seem to want to go that way in general. Buns are most comfortable at the nape of my neck--and this also allows for me to cover or uncover my ears to control my temperature--though I try to make them a little higher sometimes to vary stress points on my hair. I find simple buns held with a scrunchie and infinity buns held with spin pins to be barely noticeable.

bunzfan
March 7th, 2013, 08:49 AM
A loose nautilus with a ficcare works for me, forks make headaches worse.

Jenny31557
March 7th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I find just leaving my hair down for about an hour or so will cure even the worst headaches.
But I also like just a simple cinnamon bun as well.

nobeltonya
March 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I find that a spin pin bun doesn't pull as bad as some other styles.. I still prefer to wear my hair down 9 times out of 10, but if I do have to get it out of the way, braids also are nice.. but I can only braid while it's still wet after washing. :disco:

jacqueline101
March 7th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I like buns myself.

Iolanthe13
March 7th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I like a single French braid into a bun, secured with a pencil or hair stick. That way, I don't seem to get the single-hair-pulling thing people have mentioned, and the weight is evenly distributed over the scalp. Sectioned buns are good too. That said, I don't have an overly sensitive scalp, and I rarely get hair-related headaches unless I've pulled my hair back really tightly by mistake.

Andrea H
March 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Ponytails and a regular ol' braid are my go to 'putting my hair up so it's out of my face' hairstyles. Trying to break the ponytail habit though, I think it caused a bit of breakage at the nape of my neck. I'd love to learn new hairstyles though.

kidari
March 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I like loose cinnamon buns worn low on the head. I can't do topknots anymore, these cause the most headaches for me and sometimes using hair sticks make my scalp sore in certain spots.

lydiajo
March 7th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I wear a loose nautilus high on my head.

Ambystoma
March 7th, 2013, 03:59 PM
For exercise I wear a french/dutch braid, since it never seems to pull on my scalp no matter how much jumping around or lying on it happens, but for 'round the house ultimate comfort plus protection I like 2 or 3 buns (any type) held with a single stick in each one. It looks absolutely ridiculous but it's so comfy and weightless it's like having a pixie :)

jojo
March 7th, 2013, 05:13 PM
For me i like buns which are spread out, the braided bun or Jamie lee are very comfortable and i don't feel the need to redo for co forgot every hour or so.

longNred
March 7th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Lately I've been quite content in a low, spread out, infinity bun. But my go to comfort style is a big fat messy top knot, loosely bunned, held with a single spin pin.

lapushka
March 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I've been wearing a peacock twist since about APL, and I'm between hip & TBL now and I have iii hair. The twist gets doubly folded now, due to length, but it is still secured with a claw clip... and it's comfy.

jessa
March 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I have the same problem. I either wear my hair down or in a braid as they are the only styles that dont bring on headaches.

jeanniet
March 7th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I've been wearing a peacock twist since about APL, and I'm between hip & TBL now and I have iii hair. The twist gets doubly folded now, due to length, but it is still secured with a claw clip... and it's comfy.

What claw clip do you use? I can't find any that will hold my hair, never mind folded twice!

Natalia
March 8th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Ive been in a nautilus phase for a while now i like that i can make it looser and still have a rock solid bun.

Kittykins
March 8th, 2013, 01:50 AM
A braid or a LWB.

Anabell
March 8th, 2013, 04:43 AM
An English braid. The part that close to the nape is loose, so it feels like my hair is down. I rarely get the "single strand pooling thing, but if I do I just find this strand and loose it a little. I find the french and dutch versions can be comfortable too, but sometimes it can cause scalp sore because the different direction of the hair strands. The only buns I can wear and feel comfortable with is a nautilus and the giblartal. But now I look for some more because I love buns so much...

Edit: a single hair pulling. Sorry for my English

kdaniels8811
March 8th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Sock bun. No pulling at all.

Tota
March 8th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Top-knot for me. My hair is fine so my top-knot is light and doesn't cause any pain.

lapushka
March 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM
What claw clip do you use? I can't find any that will hold my hair, never mind folded twice!

It's kind of a rectangular shape and it's big. Kinda looks like this one (middle row on the left), but it's way bigger and there's more teeth.
http://www.gd-wholesale.com/userimg/28/1565i1/claw-clip-item-338.jpg

Can't find an exact image.

torrilin
March 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
My go to for "I need this to stay for a few days, be comfortable, and take no fuss" is twin braids. French or Dutch ones will hold longest and with fewest wispies escaping.

My go to for "I'm hurt and can't get help with my hair and I need something I can sleep in" is a Celtic knot held with a 2 prong metal fork. Pretty much every other bun I do takes 2 hands to get it formed and secured, and/or it sticks out too much from my head to let me sleep comfortably. The Celtic knot is very flat to my head and I can do it with just my one wrong hand rather than with both left and right hands working. It also really forces me to work loosely so it's hard for me to end up with a single strand pulling.

jeanniet
March 8th, 2013, 10:57 AM
It's kind of a rectangular shape and it's big. Kinda looks like this one (middle row on the left), but it's way bigger and there's more teeth.
http://www.gd-wholesale.com/userimg/28/1565i1/claw-clip-item-338.jpg

Can't find an exact image.

Aha. Thank you, I'll have to look for one like that.

Kwantslonghair
March 8th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I put mine up pony tail like. With a scrunchie. Wrap around once then on second wrap only pull the tail thru half way. It's loose but stays up. Mostly I wear it down

melusine963
March 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
In terms of pure comfort while I'm wearing it, I'd say the nautilus bun. However, the cinnabun allows me to lean my head back comfortably too, so I'd have to vote for that.

lapushka
March 8th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Aha. Thank you, I'll have to look for one like that.

It's weird. I found mine, well, my mom found it for me, in a little shop that sells off other shops' stock and so the claws are always about 99 eurocents, no matter the size. I haven't been able to find an exact dupe for it, not even online - it is so weird. But I'm afraid to damage/drop mine because it's the only one I have and I have no replacement. The other claws that I have are all too small to be able to hold my hair up.

WaitingSoLong
March 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Mine is anything I can secure below the knob on the back of my head. I have recently discovered a braided bun of sorts. I braid my hair (I use the 4 to 3 strand method, it "pulls" more evenly/symmetrically on my head and looks more symmetrical, too). Then I put a stick through the braid at the bottom horizontally then I wrap the braid around the stick like an infinity symbol once, then just wrap whatever length is left around the base sort of loosely. I use one spin pin to secure the end. If I braid a paranda into my hair, I can just tuck the tail in and it doesn't need a spin pin. It sets really low at the nape of my neck but isn't so bulky I cannot tilt my head back.

Honestly, though, I get cluster migraines (had one this past 2 weeks) and I have to wear my hair loose when I have a headache until my migraine Rx kicks in.

CJCHair-stylist
March 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Lapushka,

If I find some grips similar I`ll let you know. We have such a wide variety here where I live, it shouldn`t be too much trouble to send some to you if I do happen to spot them.

CJCHair-stylist
March 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I really need to get some of those spin pins I`ve heard so much about. They sound fantastic - will have to order some online, because I`ve never seen them here.

rowie
March 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM
A loose low nautilus bun secured with a ficcare is the most comforatable go to style for me. I hope that if I ever reach classic length I will be able to get rid of any hair securage or toys.

lapushka
March 8th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Lapushka,

If I find some grips similar I`ll let you know. We have such a wide variety here where I live, it shouldn`t be too much trouble to send some to you if I do happen to spot them.

That's really nice of you! :)

WaitingSoLong
March 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM
A loose low nautilus bun secured with a ficcare is the most comforatable go to style for me. I hope that if I ever reach classic length I will be able to get rid of any hair securage or toys.

Why would you get rid of them?

Aliped
March 8th, 2013, 04:31 PM
The Nautilus is good
Agreed, A nautilus bun is my favorite for not pulling.

Sharysa
March 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM
My most comfortable hairstyle is any kind of braid, except for a single braid down the back. One, it makes my arms hurt because my hair is super thick, and two, it makes my nape hairs tangle something fierce. Usually if I don't want twin braids, I prefer side braids.

Cheele
March 8th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I am a woman of few hairstyles. I mostly wear my hair down. If not, I either a single braid down my back, nautilus, and recently fell in love with sock buns (I'm wearing one now, the same one I slept in as a matter of fact :o). English braids get me in a fuss over the frizzy feeling hair at the base (I can never get it sleek). I don't feel much scalp discomfort though. Nautilus is great. Very quick and easy. Not much pull at all. I've gotten to the point where I don't need to secure it with anything either, so less pulling from that (if I shake my head vigorously it falls out, though). And ohohoh sock buns :inlove:. I do not feel a single thing and it is SO secure. I think I may leave this already slept in bun in all day. Hehe.

GrowingGlory
March 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Free and loose. Anything else gives me a horrible headache.

templeofvenus
March 9th, 2013, 01:29 AM
a plait worn loosely to the side is very comfortable