PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hair styles for my type of hair

CaityBear
August 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM
So I'm trying to find stuff to do with my hair. I've been looking through all the tutorials for hair style, but a lot of them won't work for my hair my hair is too thin or my hair is too short. :( My hair is a couple inches longer than in my picture.

My hair is 1a, M, and i. If any of those tutorial hair styles will work for my hair and maybe I just missed them, could you let me know? Or if you have any other ideas.

At the moment I'm just pulling my hair up and in half then putting a clip in, or doing a bun. That's about it. I don't really have much for hair stuff other than clips. I don't really have hair sticks (I dearly wish to get some but I don't know where I can get quality ones. I haven't seen any anywhere I've been in the last while. Anybody have ideas of where I can buy some?)

Hair things I have: bobbypins, and clips, a variety and some cheap hair comb things.

Curlsgirl
August 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Have you tried a Figure 8 or Infinity? How about a folded up braid? You should be able to do any of those easily. :flower:

anna1850
August 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
What about this one (http://intimelyfashion.com/hair/gibsonbraid.htm)? :)

Samikha
August 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Well, it's nowhere near finished yet, but I'm compiling a list of styles in my blog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_OlAxiPIK0&feature=related). They're only organized alphabetically so far, but at least there are plenty to choose from:) Surely some of them should work?:eek:

Arctic
August 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Sockbun might work, use a sock near the colour of your own hair. Frensh twist, if you manage to get your length inside the hair "pocket". Other kinds of innovative twists. French or dutch braids with the ends tucked in. Braids which have more strands look more wide. You can also braid a scarf into the braid, or if you feel adventurous, braid in some fake hair in shock colour!

Oh, and remember to peruse the old archived forums as well, there are much much treasures burried there!

One idea is to look for people with similar hairtype and see what they do (for example their blogs or albums, or just ask them :)) You can search members according to hairtype. Go to
Members list --> search members --> advanced search.

You have a lovely hair! You could try to find some chopc sticks, or make your own. There's an inspiring thread here somewhere where people show their selfmade hairtoys, and give advice to others.

danacc
August 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You can get quality crafted hair sticks on the internet. There are several reputable makers. Check out the hairtoy threads in the Conventional Products and Hair Accessories (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46) section to see which you like best.

plainjanegirl
August 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
What about a french braid and then flipped or you could twist into a bun?
Maybe a sock bun or a bee butt scrunchie bun?

eadwine
August 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The 10 second quick bun (see link in my siggie, you will find it there) will work for you just fine :) When the tuft is too long, just use more fingers to wrap hair around, I am currently at three and have to braid to get rid of some length.

Katze
August 31st, 2008, 09:47 AM
I have similar hair to yours and real problems with updos because of baby hairs and layers.

When I first came here, I taught myself French braiding, as it was the only thing that kept my hair up and out of my face.

Halfups were also a flattering hairdo for me and work well when my crown hair is a bit "dirty" but I still want to wear my hair down. There are MANY versions of this - top pulled back, sides pulled back, top and sides pulled back, the halfup braided, etc. Play around with halfups!

French twists or some variation of twists are my "go-to" hairdo for "dirty" days: in order to get them smooth, I have to start with "dirty" hair and brush it flat. But with enough bobby pins, a beak clip or Ficcare or claw clip, it holds for a few hours and is relatively easy to re-do during the day, provided I don"t forget my brush.

Many of the hairdos that other people here recommend don't work for me. Because my hair is fine and thin, and because the ends are bleached, buns look REALLY bad on me and highlight the fact that I don't have very much hair, and that the ends are a different color. My hair is frizzy and hard to manage, and most updos get very messy very fast.

What HAS worked well is any kind of braid pinned up. This can be very simple or complex. I usually go with two braids because it helps contain my hair better than one braid, and I often both brush and oil my hair to keep the braids smoother.

When I look at your pic I see very pretty hair, and I also see a bit of a wave. Might it be possible to encourage the wave you have for different "looks"? This has really helped me come to terms with my messy, unruly hair - when it's wavy, it looks like it's on purpose. Maybe bendy foam curlers, braid waves, scrunching, etc would work for you?

Anyway, you are not alone, and even if all the bun variations don"t work for you it doesn't mean you are dumb or have bad hair!

FrannyG
August 31st, 2008, 02:18 PM
We have very similar hairtypes, and I do lots of styles with my hair. My hair is currently shorter than yours, but it was about your length in May.

I wouldn't ordinarily suggest this (:oops:), but have a look at my album and my website. I've done lots of styles with my hair type. The link to my site is in my signature.