PDA

View Full Version : Hair shedding

cranberrymoonz
March 6th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I have been on this forum quite a while now, and I'm fairly familiar with all the terms and different types of routines. However,I still don't really understand how the shedding and growing of new hair works. For the last year I have been thinking that it is normal to shed about a 100 hairs a day, that it varies for every persons, but that it is something that is pretty much fixed. Still, sometimes I read that some new routine has caused someone to shed less hair. How is this even possible? Doesn't a hair follicle just wear out after a period of time? Please enlighten me! :confused:

Bagginslover
March 6th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Shedding above normal can be influenced by routine. What is normal, varys from person to person. A change in routine could cause a decrease in shedding if the activity you cut out is contributing to shedding above your normal, whether you knew it or not. Does that help?

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Hormones can cause hair to shed.

cranberrymoonz
March 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Shedding above normal can be influenced by routine. What is normal, varys from person to person. A change in routine could cause a decrease in shedding if the activity you cut out is contributing to shedding above your normal, whether you knew it or not. Does that help?

Yeah, I guess so. It makes sense that really aggressive products cause hair to shed, and that when you turn to for example WO, the hair starts shedding less. But that's not necessarily because WO is ''good'' but more because what you did before was ''bad''.

I have never experienced any exessive shedding btw, I was just wondering what the fuss was about;)

neko_kawaii
March 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM

For instance some people find that certain products applied to the scalp cause them to shed. I suppose that would be a sensitivity. I don't know how it affects the folicles themselves, but I have heard it come up a number of times. If someone's normal routine involved a product their scalp was sensitive to and then they changed their routine to eliminate that product, they would see a decrease in shedding. Also, few people are going to look carefully at each loose hair to determine if it is a shed or a break, so gentler treatment/stronger hair, could result in less breakage and the appearance of less shedding.

renia22
March 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM
My Naturopathic Physician and I were just having a conversation about this recently. She says everything really needs to be in balance, in optimal ranges, for proper hair growth (hormones, vitamins/minerals..). You don't want a deficiency but you don't want anything to be in excess either. Also foreign substances need to be avoided (heavy metals/mercury) among other things (like certain medications or supplements can cause hair to shed). Adequate protein /caloric intake is important too. As far as products and routines, she said it's usually not that when it comes to shedding. Which I have read and heard before, but sometimes I convince myself that it must be something I am using when my hair starts shedding excessively. I think as long as you are not ripping your hair when it is wet, or you're not allergic to something, chances are your routine isn't going to cause shedding. I do notice that when my hair is going through a shed, anything that makes it tangle makes the shedding worse, probably because I lose that much more hair combing it out. Talking to her (along with some great info on thebeautybrains.com) has helped me to calm down a little about ingredients/ routines, though, sometimes I can get really paranoid about ingredients :/.