PDA

View Full Version : How fast do you want your hair to grow

FireFromWithin
March 6th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Ok, so you can chose any growth rate (poll added just to help a bit) but that would be the growth rate you would have for the rest of your life. No slowing down, no speeding up.

I think I would go for 2 inches a month as this would allow for a decent amount of growth without being unmanageable. I'm growing dye out so I'm not worried about demarkation lines. Plus once I reach my goal length, 2 inches is enough to allow for some damage to be cut off but not so much that if I miss a trim I'll go crazy from my hair suddenly being in the way.

imaroo
March 6th, 2013, 08:27 AM
I'd be really happy with an inch a month because that's about twice what I get now. Any more than that and I may just get frustrated eventually when I get to the length I want (even though the greedy side of me is yelling out "6 INCHES! I WANT 6 INCHES A MONTH!"

HairFaerie
March 6th, 2013, 08:28 AM
In the winter, I can get 2" per month. The rest of the year, I get anywhere between .5 and 1 inch per month. I would be very happy if I could get 2" every month, all year!

SerinaDaith
March 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM
2-3 inches a month would be a lot but as long as it would keep on going I could get it to a length that I liked and maintain for a while, trim out old dye/heat damage without fear of loss of length later on. Part of me wants to say 5+ a month but I think that would be way to much for me to handle since right now I am so accustomed to about .5 to 1 inch a month.

FireFromWithin
March 6th, 2013, 08:48 AM
(even though the greedy side of me is yelling out "6 INCHES! I WANT 6 INCHES A MONTH!"
imaroo that's what I was thinking, then I realised I'd have to cut it every week once I got to goal length

2-3 inches a month would be a lot but as long as it would keep on going I could get it to a length that I liked and maintain for a while, trim out old dye/heat damage without fear of loss of length later on. Part of me wants to say 5+ a month but I think that would be way to much for me to handle since right now I am so accustomed to about .5 to 1 inch a month.
SerinaDaith that was exactly my thinking

[QUOTE] In the winter, I can get 2" per month. The rest of the year, I get anywhere between .5 and 1 inch per month. I would be very happy if I could get 2" every month, all year!/QUOTE]
HairFaerie I'm so jealous that you get 2" a month at any time of year. Mine seems permanently stuck on half an inch.

Bagginslover
March 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I've voted for 1 inch per month. I currently get 0.5 per month, so that would double my rate. As tempting as it would be to ask for more, it would also mean hennaing more regularly to keep up with my roots, and thats not something I'd be prepared to do, but just doubling my rate would be acceptable (henna every 1 1/2 - 2 months instead of every 3-4 currently).

Instead of a steady increase in growth over a period, I would take a sudden jump in length, and then standard growth again ;) If I could jump to classic, I could cut off all the damage and layers, and still be beyond my next goal length (hip). I'd prefer that you increased growth.

Kwantslonghair
March 6th, 2013, 09:00 AM
More than 3 inches would be too much. I think. Hmmm. If it grew faster then you would have no damaged ends cause you could just cut it every month

sisi33
March 6th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Okay, who voted for "cheese inches a month"? :p

I voted 2-3" per month, as 3 is a magic number- that, and it would be easier to try out new lengths, without major cut regret! Also, great for getting out all that old damage!

flip-flop
March 6th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Just by reading the title of the thread I thought 2 inches a month would be nice. I'd get to my goal length faster, and I'd be able to trim off damage often, but it wouldn't be too much to keep up with trimming once I got to a length I liked. And I could experiment with different hemlines/ layers etc without having to wait forever for things to grow back if I was dissatisfied.

rowie
March 6th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I voted 5+ inches cause I'm impatient. I want to be able to try every hair style, lengths, colors, and textures. With this ability, I can always have the luxury of trying out different looks every time without having to wait long. I can go platinum white with flat ironed straight hair, and then chop it all off and then try out different angled bobs with different colors and different highlights. hahahaha As a side career I could probably make some money to have stylist try out hair styles on me, calling Akilina!

PolarCathy
March 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I voted cheese length because then I can have a natural variation depending on which (and how long) cheese I buy in that particular month.

trolleypup
March 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Assuming that this multiplies your terminal length...

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I have heavy hair. I don't think I want a super fast growth rate.

woolyleprechaun
March 6th, 2013, 11:09 AM
5+ because I'm greedy, and this is just fantasy, right? ;)
I know it seems excessive, but imagine how lovely your ends could be :)

Purdy Bear
March 6th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I'd just like my hair to grow again, I am an impatient sole but my common sense took over and I went for 2-3 inches per month. If it was 5 inches it might get a little out of hand and also be hard to get used to psychologically.

yoni
March 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Voted 5 inches because I'm impatient with my hair growth and I love having long hair, besides it will make me feel less bad when trimming ends :D

PraiseCheeses
March 6th, 2013, 11:49 AM
2 inches a month would be awesome. So much of this long-hair thing is about the journey, and I want to enjoy each length and milestone.

But, if my hair dependably grew five inches a month, I would happily shave my head just for the novelty and start over, as I've never had hair shorter than chin length. :cheese:

chen bao jun
March 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Interesting.
From what I can tell (I've been on this forum only 10 months so only measuring for 10 months) I seem to get 3/4 inch a month currently. This is probably a slowed down rate because I am older (55 going on 56). My family on my Dad's side has very fast hair growth and I can remember it growing faster when I was younger. this was good and bad. I did all kinds of silly things confident in the knowledge that my hair would grow back quite fast. I also got annoyed sometimes because my hair (especially my bangs) grew so fast that I was always cutting them (or so it seemed) and I remember my Dad was unhappy because he was 'keeping his barber in business'-- he needed his hair trimmed every two weeks to keep it short as was important for men in the early 1960's. He had friends who could put off the barber for two months!
So I'm thinking, now that I want my hair long, 3/4 inch month seems way too slow but I can see that 5 or 6 inches a month might become a real pain if I ever wanted my hair short again (which is a possibility, I don't think so now, but never say never.) I'm thinking 1-2 inches a month seems reasonable. That's a foot or two feet a year, if you retain ALL of it and that would be nice. For me, 2 inches a month would be nice, because I'm a curly, so two feet a year would only LOOK like one foot.

More than really fast growing hair though (and as I said, I know my hair grows somewhat fast, if not really fast) I'd REALLY like to be magically able to retain it all or almost all and have a fantastically long terminal length.

ravenreed
March 6th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I actually get just over half an inch a month, and that is actually fine with me. Any more and I would have to dye my hair more often, and cut my bangs all the time. What a pain that would be.

Nae
March 6th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I think 2-3 is a reasonable number. It would be fast growing but I don't think you would constantly feel like, "OMG, I am always trimming this hair!!"

(Although, if you had a pixie can you imagine the upkeep on that baby?"

HylianGirl
March 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I'd like a very fast growth rate actually, even though I am going to henna my hair in the future. But that's because if my hair grows super ultra fast, I'd be able to trey many diferent things withou waiting years for it to grow back ;-; I'd even try to shave it ^-^ And damage would be easily outgrown. So I'm going with 3-4 inches per month.

Mandie
March 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM
This last month I got MAYBE 0.25" and I used to grow much faster. So I'd be totally happy with one inch enough. It'd grow slowly enough then that it'd have time to get strong and awesome. Although faster wouldn't be bad...

patienceneeded
March 6th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I chose the 2"-3" growth per month. It seems like it would be more manageable, but reaching a goal would not take very long at all. Lots of trimming every few months once a final goal is reached...

TheMechaGinger
March 6th, 2013, 01:38 PM
3 inches is good for me! I'd be at waist by next month then and would only have to maintain there for another month or two to even up my ends and thicken my hemline before heading right along to hip and eventually tailbone. I'd have my dream hair by christmas! What a lovely christmas present that would be :]

ETA: I also love trimming and hennaing my hair, so the chance to do both a little more often wouldn't bother me one bit

MaryMarx
March 6th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Nice poll!
2-3 inches. I'm dying to get out of the SL state, but i still want long hair to be a challenge.

alexis917
March 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I'd love an inch a month!
Then again, I also want "emergency hair recovery."
Like, if i get it trimmed and too much is cut off, I can snap my fingers and all my hair comes right back.

torrilin
March 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM
My growth rate is somewhere in the 0.75-1" per month range. This is plenty fast to suit me. Maintaining a short cut is a serious pain since the standard hairdresser advice of trim every 6 weeks only barely keeps up. Maintaining an unnatural haircolor is a pain since my roots show very quickly. I've long since learnt that even if I want to dye, if I don't want to do roots every 2 weeks religiously, stick fairly close to my natural color. (this is based on my yearly average, so I quite likely have months where the rate is higher or lower)

If I grow full tilt, my hair can easily grow faster than I can learn new updos that will actually stay in my slippery hair.

It also means *everything* grows fast. Shaving legs and trimming nails is a damn near daily event :P. And if I want to keep an eyebrow look that isn't a very natural one, I'd have to pluck daily or wax weekly.

I don't mind some primping and preening, but no way would I want the workload that would come with 3" of hair growth a month. That's leg shaving twice a day, and pixie to shaggy shoulder in 3 months, and constant work on your eyebrows and for me likely a terminal 2-3x my actual height. While I've got some braid taper at my current length (waist), it's nothing extreme, and my hair is definitely gaining length at a good clip. So it's unlikely that I'll hit terminal before knee :P.

Winnie!
March 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I voted for an inch. That would be double what I get right now, but doesn't seem like it would annoy me if I decided to go for a shorter cut that needed to be maintained. (also, I would hate for body hair to grow any faster. Can you imagine the shaving time? ugh!)

ghost
March 6th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I voted 3-4 inches. That way I'd have almost a foot of new growth with every change of season, which would be pretty awesome. Coloring my hair might get a little intense, but I could always mix black Manic Panic in with my conditioner to stretch the time between coloring. I'm thinking about doing that anyway, even with my half-inch of growth per month.
Winnie!, I'm with you on the body hair. That doesn't need to grow any faster!

Redhead Rebel
March 6th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I'm going to be greedy and say 5 inches a month :D . That would mean after 2 months I could cut off all the damage and still have the length I have now. My hair splits easily but 5 inches would mean I could gain length but still get rid of all the splits. Would also mean that I could dye my hair etc and if I didn't like it/it got damaged it wouldn't be too long before it would be gone again. And be easier to try out different lengths and not get too impatient.

Redhead Rebel
March 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM
My growth rate is somewhere in the 0.75-1" per month range. This is plenty fast to suit me. Maintaining a short cut is a serious pain since the standard hairdresser advice of trim every 6 weeks only barely keeps up. Maintaining an unnatural haircolor is a pain since my roots show very quickly. I've long since learnt that even if I want to dye, if I don't want to do roots every 2 weeks religiously, stick fairly close to my natural color. (this is based on my yearly average, so I quite likely have months where the rate is higher or lower)

If I grow full tilt, my hair can easily grow faster than I can learn new updos that will actually stay in my slippery hair.

It also means *everything* grows fast. Shaving legs and trimming nails is a damn near daily event :P. And if I want to keep an eyebrow look that isn't a very natural one, I'd have to pluck daily or wax weekly.

I don't mind some primping and preening, but no way would I want the workload that would come with 3" of hair growth a month. That's leg shaving twice a day, and pixie to shaggy shoulder in 3 months, and constant work on your eyebrows and for me likely a terminal 2-3x my actual height. While I've got some braid taper at my current length (waist), it's nothing extreme, and my hair is definitely gaining length at a good clip. So it's unlikely that I'll hit terminal before knee :P.

Hmm I didn't think about hair elsewhere growing faster too :(

The-Young-Maid
March 6th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I voted 5"+ a month. I could even out my ends without loosing any length!;) And my hemline would be soo much thicker!:o

chen bao jun
March 6th, 2013, 04:20 PM

Yes, I have to shave my other body hair way too often already and my fingernails grow crazy fast also. It seems there is a relation between how fast ALL your hair grows, unfortunately.

kaydana
March 6th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I'm greedy, I'd want 5+. Then I could do all kinds of crazy things with my hair and not have to worry about damage. I'd have to do my henna glosses a lot more regularly than I currently do, but I could live with that and if I really got fed up of them it wouldn't take long to grow it out and go back to my natural colour.

Natalia
March 6th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I voted 2 - 3 inches per month. Enough to help me grow out my shed and dye damage faster but not so much that it would get in the way. I have a way of taking my sweet time in getting around to trims and such so 2-3 inches seems like a good balance. Besides of it grew any faster i wouldnt be able to adjust to it quick enough id outgrow hair styles faster than i could trim.

Amygirl8
March 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM
5+
Honestly, my hair splits so easily that if it grew 5+ inches a month with the amount of damage I get that'd only amount to 1 inch a month with what I actually need to trim off lol
I would be able to heat style without worry about damage too though, and growing out dye wouldn't be a problem.

Magalo
March 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I currently grow about 3/4 a month but would be happy with 1-2". No more then that though because henna would take so much maintenance!

Sharysa
March 6th, 2013, 07:33 PM
2-3 inches a month, most likely three. Then I could finally reach waist-length in the next two months, and no matter what happens to my hair, I could regain almost waist-length in about a year.

jeanniet
March 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM
1/2" a month is fine with me, since at this point I want to maintain at waist. In general, I think I grow somewhat faster than that. 1/2" would mean I could cut an inch every other month and keep nice ends.

PixxieStix
March 6th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I voted for 1'' a month because that would mean being able to reach milestones at a fast pace, but once I reached maintenance at tailbone, I could go in every 2-3 months for a trim (or self trim) without that being too much of a hassle, but any more than that and I'd tire of it so quickly! In theory 3 inches a month would be amazing, but I know my practical side would end up wanting to rip that hair out!

FireFromWithin
March 7th, 2013, 01:16 AM
I didn't even think of body hair when I wrote this. I'd have to wax my legs every week. Lol. But I think for the purposes of this poll your body hair grows at a normal rate and it doesn't effect anything else. I figured I'd just end up at terminal faster but I'm not planning to grow past tailbone so it doesn't make much difference to me! (I figure I should get to tailbone before terminal since my waist length doesn't have any taper beyond my layers which are growing out nicely even at only half and inch a month, and I would cry if I couldn't)

MasCat
March 7th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I voted cheese :)

I would love to have hair like those in Brandon Sanderson's "Warbreaker" - two heroines had hair that could grow at will, it also changed colour with emotions :)

oktobergoud
March 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I voted for 2-3 inches! I only want BSL hair, but I figured that if hair grows fast, I could experiment a lot with it! I'd like to have ombre hair or something, but won't do it because it's too damaging. If my hair would grow that fast, I could easily chop the damage off and still maintain at BSL (ONE DAY, ONE DAY! Still at collarbone now haha)

(wasn't thinking about body hair either, ouch!! Haha mmm)

Mommyof4
March 7th, 2013, 10:23 PM
10 inches a month!! PLEASE!!!!!

PolarCathy
March 7th, 2013, 10:26 PM
10" is a good number, I'd trade my "cheese" choice for that.

Quixii
March 7th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I voted 2-3 inches, though I keep going back and forth between that and something much bigger like 5" or 10". I get some small amount, probably less than half an inch, and I know I wished it grew faster than that. I think 3" would be a good quick rate, but not annoying. I mean, if I woke up tomorrow and my hair was a foot longer, that would be an extra foot that I had no idea how to deal with! Keeping hair growing at a slower pace allows me to adjust to new milestones and find new hairstyles as needed and such. But at the same time, if it grew 10" a month, that might still be slow enough and then I could experiment with damaging things and it wouldn't really matter, because it would be a foot longer in a little over a month anyway. I'm sure my hemline would be fuller, too, because I could chop it at a thick part and it would grow the rest of the way out pretty quick.

Shadow Walker
March 7th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Bring on the 5+! I've got some catching up to do. :p

thirstylocks
March 7th, 2013, 11:14 PM
5+!!!! That way I could be able to try different hairstyles and hair colors all the time!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I voted 2 - 3". It wouldn't take long to get to whatever length I wanted, plus it would be easy to use Feye's trimming method whenever required, no expensive trims at the hairdresser needed.

rtree721
March 8th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I guess I am greedy, cause I chose 5+ inches a month! But my thought process was... my mom can cut my hair anytime I ask her so getting a haircut wouldn't be a problem, I don't dye my hair so I wouldn't have to worry about my roots, I would have very little damage because I would always be growing it out and chopping it off, I could try out soo many haircuts and have long hair again in a year!

Loreley
March 8th, 2013, 07:50 AM
2-3 inches would be perfect for me. :D I usually get only 0.4-0.5" per month.

Auksaplauke
March 8th, 2013, 08:14 AM
10 inch per mount :D or 1 cm a day :D

LadyCelestina
March 8th, 2013, 08:30 AM
5 inches a month!Let's face it - it'll still have a terminal lenght,no? :) So no weekly cutting,just quick growing haaaaair :-D

Zindell
March 8th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Half an inch a month is fine for me. I actually enjoy that it takes time... makes natural long hair even more special. :-)

catamonica
March 8th, 2013, 09:55 PM
My hair stopped growing one inch above tail bone. But I think its growing again. I voted one inch. But I think it only grows a half inch.

Ishje
March 9th, 2013, 05:05 AM
an inch would be nice, but I am not even a tiny bit close to that growth rate :p

RavennaNight
March 9th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I put 1/2 inch is fine, because it is. It's healthy, normal growth :shrug:

Ligeia_13
March 9th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Considering I've had zero growth for the past 8 months, an inch a month to make up for it would be nice.

GeoJ
March 10th, 2013, 01:54 PM
5+ !!!!

I would love such rapid growth, and don't mind a monthly cut to keep the length in a prefered range. I don't dye or have bangs or anything that would make a fast growth rate a problem. I don't mind quickly adjusting to and doing and styling new length either. I imagine it would make a thick blunt hemline a breeze to obtain!

Syaoransbear
March 10th, 2013, 01:59 PM
As fast as possible so I can heat style it as much as I want and I won't have to worry about damage.

Mesmerise
March 10th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I chose 2-3" a month, but really I think I'd be more than happy with 2"! It's fast enough that I can grow out dye or recover from shedding faster (more worried about the shedding to be honest, I've stopped dyeing now, but I can imagine I'll have more shedding incidents through the years), and yet it's not so fast that I have to trim it ALL THE TIME. I mean, once I get to goal, I'd be cutting once a month, but that's not so bad, and keeps the ends nice and fresh!

sunshine-locks
March 10th, 2013, 05:11 PM
2-3 inches a month would be grand! Because mine's only shoulder length now and I'm growing out henna it wouldn't take long at all to get to waist with my natural blonde :)

dragonfly90
March 10th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I voted 5+ inches because I'm growing out a head shave and love to do extremely damaging things to my hair. In reality, I'm lucky to get a 1/2 inch per month.

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2013, 07:34 PM
2-3inches a month would rock. Length maintenance or gain with no damage!

cwarren
March 12th, 2013, 07:29 PM
2 inches a month would be ideal. I could recover from my big chop faster and try out short styles I would never try at my current growth rate.

pixietail
March 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Faster the better! I could take it down to a cute bob whenever I wanted knowing the hair would be back to waist length in no time. Actually does anyone remember the brush'n'grow ponies from back in the day? I'd love hair like that!

Bagginslover
March 13th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Faster the better! I could take it down to a cute bob whenever I wanted knowing the hair would be back to waist length in no time. Actually does anyone remember the brush'n'grow ponies from back in the day? I'd love hair like that!
Remember them? I still HAVE them! ;) That would be great to have that ability, pull on it to go longer, just shake your head for shorter!

faellen
March 13th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I voted 5 inches of growth per month because that would just be awesome, I'd have grown out my dye in no time! :D

As it is, though, my hair grows at the standard half an inch per month.

Fethenwen
March 14th, 2013, 04:27 AM
I voted 5 inches of growth per month, which would of course be impossible to achieve, but I thought the more the better!

But now I just realized that I would have to henna quite often, so perhaps it would be better not to have such crazy growth afterall :p 2-3 inches would be more preferable.

FireFromWithin
March 14th, 2013, 05:55 AM
I love how so many people go "5 inches!" Then backtrack, like its a reflex that they have to control.

Automne
March 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Even just 1 inch a month would be great for me :)

Neneka
March 14th, 2013, 09:30 AM
1 inch in a month. I would be so so happy. More than that would be freaky but in a way it would be awesome. My hair would be long in no time. I wouldn't mind trimming it often. But if I want to dye it it would be PITA.

Anje
March 14th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Heck, I'll take the 5 inches/month. Assuming, of course, that that applies to all the head hair and not a few sprinters. Also assuming that it doesn't apply to, say, eyebrows or legs. :o (I already have to keep up with the eyebrows nearly daily, and my hair gains maybe 7 inches/year.)

However, I definitely wouldn't continue to wear a fringe if my hair grew like that!

Ambystoma
March 14th, 2013, 08:06 PM
5+ !!!!

I would love such rapid growth, and don't mind a monthly cut to keep the length in a prefered range. I don't dye or have bangs or anything that would make a fast growth rate a problem. I don't mind quickly adjusting to and doing and styling new length either. I imagine it would make a thick blunt hemline a breeze to obtain!

This is exactly what I thought when I voted - think how healthy it would be even if you wore it down 24/7!

Iaine
March 15th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I'm so impatient that I would like my hair to grow 40" instantaneously, but I think 2-3" per month would be a manageable growth rate.

rock007junkie
March 15th, 2013, 05:37 PM
2-3 inches would be great!!! I'd be able to trim to maintain healthy ends and still be able to gain length

Vasilissa
March 16th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I Don't want to doubt Mother Nature's decisions, if it's meant to be the way it is, then there are reasons for it. Some people are eager to make their hair grow faster, but they don't think about the consequences that can follow. Maybe if it would grow faster then it wont be as strong or healthy as it could be.

So I am for 0.5 inch per month, it really is fine with me. :)