PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy?

Jeleebaby
March 6th, 2013, 07:36 AM
My birthday is at the beginning of next month and I have got all my family throwing in money for hair toys :), my question is.....what would you buy? I'm going to be looking at around $115 for guilt free toy shopping, would you get one really special item or lots of bits? I'm a fairly new long hair and haven't got many hair toys of any variety?

ellen732
March 6th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I would go for variety instead of one purchase. I think a pair of Ketylos should be on your list :).

Peggy E.
March 6th, 2013, 07:49 AM
What a wonderful birthday gift - a guilt-free hair-toy buying spree!

What to buy, you wonder? How do you like to wear your hair? Or are you interested in experimenting? If there's a certain way you really like, then you might splurge on a higher-end hair toy, knowing you will be using it and it will be a treasure to own and use.

If you are interested in experimenting with new and different styles, you might wish to invest in several cheaper toys. This way if the styles don't work out to your liking, you haven't purchased an expensive item you now can't use.

On the plus side - you can always sell anything you purchase on the Swap Board, though you will probably take a little loss in the transaction.

Check out the styles featured here and on U-Tube. Swing through Etsy or the other recommended hair toy purchase sites. Look at all types of hair toy makers' items, just have all that fun window shopping and dreaming away as to what you will look like in a month!

And do check out the Swap Board for great deals on super toys - get the most bang for your buck!

That all being said, probably the most versatile item that is a bit on the pricey side but won't eat up your entire hair toy budget, would be a Ficcare clip of some sort. Most people here swear by them and they can be used in all sorts of styles, are gorgeous and hold like rocks.

Have fun with your shopping!

torrilin
March 6th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I've been idly planning a set of custom jewelry including some decorated U pins. Nice necklace (or possibly big necklace and small pendant), bracelets, a ring, some hair pins or small forks and some plain pins. Nice stuff that would let me do nifty tricks and really spiff up an outfit like woah. I don't expect this to be a cheap purchase since necklaces I like to dream of for this tend to run over $300. This is (obviously) a big purchase and something I'll be saving for gradually over a very long time. And I may buy it piece by piece. I often find hair toys that are sold as "fancy" tend to not really fit in with my ideas for this set, no matter how expensive they are. Some hair toy makers do jewelry that I like as well, and their designs tend to work better.

For day to day use, I don't actually use a lot of fancy artisan stuff. Plain old Goody Spin pins and u pins or 2 prong forks out of metal hold most of my buns. I keep some bobby pins and a huge stockpile of hair elastics on hand. If I use a comb, it's an inexpensive and smooth wooden one. Mini claw clips can also be really handy, tho I don't tend to find them useful on my fine hair if they're much bigger than an inch long.

lunalocks
March 6th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I love my MTM forks !!!!!!!! I would go for variety unless there is something you have wanted for a long time. Happy Birthday!

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I'd bargin shop for your toys.

Kyla
March 6th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I would definitely get something from Grahtoe Studio and Mairzydozy if I had the funds to do so. They have such beautiful forks in my opinion.

Long_hair_bear
March 6th, 2013, 11:25 AM
a mairzy dozy fork! http://www.etsy.com/shop/MairzyDozy?section_id=10639843 very gorgeous

also, Eaduardhairsticks makes awesome and cheap acrylic sticks.

woolyleprechaun
March 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I would go crazy with acrylic hairsticks, and maybe a couple of forks. Oh, and have a little splurge on flexi8s.... I suppose a lot depends on your hair length and prefered go-to styles. I'm a bun person, so those items are what I would chose. I never really fancied ficcares, but thats probably because of the price and the fact I've never seen one that makes me go 'AaaaaaH! I need you in my life!'. Each to their own :)

Jeleebaby
March 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks ladies, that's given me lots of window shopping to do between now and my birthday.
My hair is currently at BSL and growing fast, plus any toys will probably be shared with almost classic length little one :)
I'm liking buns at the moment, so lots of sticks sounds like a plan, acrylic sticks if every colour may be arriving at my house.

Nae
March 6th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Me? Another few ficccares because that is all I seem to wear lately now that I have figured out that they work best with center held buns.

BUT if I didn't have many hairtoys I would go crazy at Eaduard hairsticks, buy an acrylic in every color. They are waterproof, hold great and are SO pretty and inexpensive.

Kherome
March 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Timberstone Turnings! The best.

Nae
March 6th, 2013, 02:07 PM

True that. Forget what I said, Kherome is completely right. You can't go wrong with Timberstone Turnings. They are drop dead gorgeous. Wish I had more of them.

Kherome
March 6th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Me too. I have three and always wish for more.

Natalia
March 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Id split it over 3 - 4 choices. Right now im on a make it myself kick so i dont know what id reccomend but if it were me id spend half on supplies and the rest on various colors of acrylics you could get ALOT of acrylics

starlamelissa
March 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I would get acrylic hair sticks, damage free elastics in black or in a hair coordinating shade, some cute fluffy scrunchies from etsy, um, and a kick butt brush. maybe a silk scarf for my hair. :)

Jeleebaby
March 7th, 2013, 02:00 AM

Oh what have you done to me?! Just looked at them on etsy, they're stunning, need them all! Lol

door72067
March 7th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I'd be aiming for flexi8s or Ficcares for sure!

Kherome
March 7th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Oh what have you done to me?! Just looked at them on etsy, they're stunning, need them all! Lol

You're WELCOME. Hahaha (They are as lovely as they look)

Jeleebaby
March 20th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Well I've gone and ordered a custom stick from timberstone turnings, it's a full body inlaid with pink pearls and silver. Pictures will follow when it arrives. It's going to be a long wait.