PDA

View Full Version : Stupid hair accidents

In2wishin
March 5th, 2013, 01:10 PM
My mom and I were reminiscing over the weekend and she reminded me of one of the funnier (in retrospect) accidents with my hair. We had a pair of barber shears that mom used for trimming. I was looking at them and brought them close to my eyes to look really close at how the hinge worked when . . . oops! I cut a big chunk out of my bangs right in the middle of the forehead. Mom had to cut the bangs really short to even them out.

Anybody else do something silly by accident?

jeanniet
March 5th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I vacuumed my hair up once when I knelt down to pick something up while the vacuum was on, and another time I got a big chunk of hair wrapped around a dremel while I was filing my dog's nails. Both times there wasn't much damage, although it took some gentle coaxing to get the hair unwrapped.

Shadow Walker
March 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I accidentally set my hair on fire when I was drinking one night, burned 7 inches off.... :doh:

neko_kawaii
March 5th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Lets see, its been sucked into vacuums and hair dryers and tangled in round brushes. Can't remember any others though there probably were.

joflakes
March 5th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Whoah, burning hair off would be horrible! *shudder*

I've not done much too bad, to be honest. I've shut it in car doors before..that's about it! Oh and sucked it into hairdryers...

nobeltonya
March 5th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I don't think I've had anything too serious yet, but I have gotten it caught in the top of the car door a few times if it's loose on a windy day.. XD lol

imaroo
March 5th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I got a big wad of gum right in the middle of the back of my head when I was 9 years old. My mom either didn't know about the peanut butter trick, or (more likely) lacked the patience to deal with it. She chopped off my thin fine stick-straight hair right at chin length. That hair is not a very forgiving type for bad mommy-cuts.

I also gave myself an extremely uneven frost back in the 80s using a frosting cap all by myself. Bad idea.

Mandie
March 5th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I did the gum thing too! I hid a piece from my mom because I wasn't allowed to have gum and someone gave me a piece. I stuck it in the side of my bed frame so she didn't see it and then I tried to pull it out to keep chewing it and wound up with the friggin thing wrapped around me and all up in my hair. It was awful.

For me my usual bad stuff has been closing my hair in the door. I always sit down hard and then I get pissed when it gets caught. xD

Also bad once -- I went to Sally's and said I wanted red hair. They took that to mean FIRE ENGINE RED. I didn't know better and didn't realize "ginger/strawberry blonde" was what I meant. It was AWFUL. I had to bleach it all out.

irisheyes
March 5th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Just yesterday, while rushing out the door, I caught my entire rope braid in my coat zipper, from waist to neck. My husband noticed it because hair was sticking out all over the front of my coat. Luckily, I managed to unzip it without damaging my hair. Next time, I'll put the braid behind me before I put on my coat.

socks
March 5th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Sometimes, when I pass by an open door when my hair is down, my hair will get caught on the handle. This shuts the door behind me, then yanks my head back as I'm walking away. Not fun. My hair is stubborn and refuses to be yanked out, but boy, does it hurt!

When I'm sitting in a chair, the ends of my hair are sitting on the floor, so it can get very awkward when someone sets something down or pulls up a chair on top of my hair.

Sometimes, if get up from kneeling or reaching down to grab something, I accidentally step on my hair. Also not fun.

Kyaatje
March 5th, 2013, 03:44 PM
a long time ago (end 80-begin 90) I had my hair shoulder length, permed and put a ton of hairspray in it and then, ladies and gentlemen, I was 'elegantly' leaning forward so a good-looking boy could light my cigarette .... NOT THE BEST IDEA ! LOL My hair said whoufffff and I was to shocked to have my hair burning to have any reaction and so the nice boy emptied his beer over my head. Try explaining that to your mum when you weren't supposed to go out, drink beer or smoke !

browneyedsusan
March 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM
A few months ago, I cut my thumb and promptly sealed it with superglue. (Adhesive bandages bother my skin.) It was late at night, so I went to get ready for bed. I'd worn my hair in Victory rolls, or some other retro updo that required some teasing, pins, and hairspray, but when I tried to take it down, and it was not cooperative. At all. I kept pulling pins out and trying to work the teasing and hairspray loose, and finally thought to myself, "Self, are you getting superglue in your hair? OH MY WORD!!! I'm getting SUPERGLUE in my HAIR!!!" Thankfully it was just in a few places, and I was able to snip it out without leaving obvious holes.
Sheesh....

imaroo
March 5th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Sometimes, when I pass by an open door when my hair is down, my hair will get caught on the handle. This shuts the door behind me, then yanks my head back as I'm walking away. Not fun. My hair is stubborn and refuses to be yanked out, but boy, does it hurt!

When I'm sitting in a chair, the ends of my hair are sitting on the floor, so it can get very awkward when someone sets something down or pulls up a chair on top of my hair.

Sometimes, if get up from kneeling or reaching down to grab something, I accidentally step on my hair. Also not fun.

I have a co-worker who does this regularly! Her hair is almost to her knees, and she never wears it up. So, she closes it in car doors, gets it stuck under her chair, steps on it when standing up...

She has a great sense of humor about it, though, and it is adorable.

minxe
March 5th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Once when I was trimming my bangs, I ended up cutting off a lot of eyelashes. They took like a year to recover.

jesis
March 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM
When I was in pre-school, I was pretending to chop my hair off when *oops!* I chopped my hair off. The top half of my hair was in a ponytail and that's the half- yes half - of the hair I chopped off... then I kicked the hair under the table and tried to pretend nothing happened, until my teacher stumbled across it. I couldn't even deny it was mine and she was mortified. As was my mother, when she found out. She took me to the hair-stylist right away to get a perm and layers to cover it up. I cried for a long time after they cut my hair off because it went from about TBL to almost APL and I loved my long hair.

Long story short, I have been careful with scissors near my hair since!

akurah
March 5th, 2013, 09:42 PM
I've buckled my hair into my seatbelt. That was definitely interesting.

halfbroke
March 5th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I have singed my hair on the stove while cooking three separate times. I have now learned to tie my hair back while cooking, or at least not to lean near the fire. I'm still trying to even out my hair from the damage.:(

jessa
March 5th, 2013, 10:09 PM
When I was younger, I decided I didnt like the bangs my mum had cut and tried to cut them off myself.... bad mistake, Mum ended up having to take me to hairdresser who shaved the entire front of my head as that was the only way to make it even.

(sorry for the spelling of 'mum,' I am Australian haha)

Elithia
March 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I was 4 and my brother and I played barber shop ... he was 2. It ended in an angry mother and a cute bob, as I had tried to stick the hair back to my head, and then hidden it in a box of lincoln logs in hopes that she wouldn't notice. (8 inches cut back to the nape of my neck? I had a 5-minute haircut before gymnastics.)

AnqeIicDemise
March 5th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Apparently, my mother owned one of those manual clippers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkmmaQrdUWs) where you'd have to like, squeeze to make them work. This was wwaaaaay back in the day. My brother was like four.

He got curious and started playing with them when Mom wasn't looking. He ended up cutting a nice 'landing strip' straight down the middle of his head.

He also ripped lashes off in a similar fashion with an eyelash curler. (Also when he was six. He's about 20 years older than me so this was .. um..1970?)

WaitingSoLong
March 6th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I accidentally set my hair on fire when I was drinking one night, burned 7 inches off.... :doh:

Shadow when I was a teenager I went to a ST-Megadeth concert (1989 or 1990) and before the show started we were all just milling around in the pit (no seats in that place). Someone lit a cigarette and in 2 seconds some other guy's long, teased and hairsprayed hair went up like a torch (the 80's styles were still very in). I remember being mortified and feeling so sorry for that guy. His whole head of hair looked like a wad of plastic in 2 seconds flat.

Just yesterday, while rushing out the door, I caught my entire rope braid in my coat zipper, from waist to neck. My husband noticed it because hair was sticking out all over the front of my coat. Luckily, I managed to unzip it without damaging my hair. Next time, I'll put the braid behind me before I put on my coat.

EEEK! That is the stuff of nightmares!

I have done this and I have much shorter hair than you! Last time I did it I had tennis shoes on and I heard a ripping sound. I must not have lost too much hair because I couldn't find any on the ground.

A few months ago, I cut my thumb and promptly sealed it with superglue. (Adhesive bandages bother my skin.) It was late at night, so I went to get ready for bed. I'd worn my hair in Victory rolls, or some other retro updo that required some teasing, pins, and hairspray, but when I tried to take it down, and it was not cooperative. At all. I kept pulling pins out and trying to work the teasing and hairspray loose, and finally thought to myself, "Self, are you getting superglue in your hair? OH MY WORD!!! I'm getting SUPERGLUE in my HAIR!!!" Thankfully it was just in a few places, and I was able to snip it out without leaving obvious holes.
Sheesh....

HA HA AHH HHAAAA! :laugh: I'm only laughing because I wuv ya. lol
BY the by, superglue works but I have to reapply it every couple hours. Does it last longer for you? DH used to superglue the splits in his thumbs (winter). Hmm. He doesn't get those anymore.

Personally, other than the typical haircut-attempt at age 4, and minor issues (seatbelts, car doors), I cannot say I have had any major hair accidents. I have made some dumb CHOICES but they were not accidents.

flip-flop
March 6th, 2013, 07:46 AM
In elementary school we had these lego sets which had motors and axles to make cars and such. I wanted to curl my hair, so I took an axle that was attached to a motor, stuck it in the front of my hair and turned it on. I watched it wind round and round, and then, it got stuck. The teacher called my mom and got permission to cut it out, and when I went home that day my mom cut me some bangs to try to even out the front.

In2wishin
March 6th, 2013, 08:26 AM
If I was using my sewing machine and working on a very intricate spot I would lean in real close. Sometimes I would get so close that the take-up lever would hit me in the forehead. A couple of times the loose wispies of hair would get caught in the thread. There was usually one or two at a time so they would just get yanked out and sewn into the seam.

SerinaDaith
March 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Purses, bra straps, car windows, car doors, chairs, beds and smoking when I was younger. I think that covers most of my hair mishaps and I have only hit BSL. Granted most of that was in my younger days when I would wear my hair down fairly often. Perhaps my tresses will be better protected since now I tend to keep everything up all the time anyways. Yikes to stepping on your own hair, I'm not sure how I would handle that!

flip-flop
March 6th, 2013, 08:59 AM
If I was using my sewing machine and working on a very intricate spot I would lean in real close. Sometimes I would get so close that the take-up lever would hit me in the forehead. A couple of times the loose wispies of hair would get caught in the thread. There was usually one or two at a time so they would just get yanked out and sewn into the seam.

I sew a lot and I'm always afraid this will happen to me, I have visions of sewing over my braid tail. I keep a claw clip on my sewing table so I can clip my braid to the back of my head

Kwantslonghair
March 6th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Didn't happen to me. But my mom once got behind the couch with grandmas scissor when she was about 10. She cut off both her pigtails because she was jealous that her brothers got a quarter to go get haircuts.

Bagginslover
March 6th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Cutting my grandads hair using clippers, I tucked the clippers under my arm against my chest to do something, but forgot to turn the blade away from myself! Cut a chunk out of the front of my hair! Luckily I already had layers, and I just had to snip into the blunt cut section to hide it, my heart did stutter for a moment when I realised what I'd done!

lillikins
March 6th, 2013, 09:45 AM
One time I did a cartwheel with my hair down, and accidentally put my hands down on top of my hair. -_- oops...

Kaelee
March 6th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I got a round brush so thoroughly tangled in my hair one time that my mom had to spend about 20 minutes getting it out. She made me give the round brush to my gram, who had short hair. :lol:

I was cutting scallions the other day and looked down, a shed hair or two had fallen on the cutting board and I was cutting it up with the scallions! :lol:

WaitingSoLong
March 6th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I was cutting scallions the other day and looked down, a shed hair or two had fallen on the cutting board and I was cutting it up with the scallions! :lol:

LOL! I got a good laugh from this ;)

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I've burnt my bangs when I lit a cigarette.

Shadow Walker
March 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Shadow when I was a teenager I went to a ST-Megadeth concert (1989 or 1990) and before the show started we were all just milling around in the pit (no seats in that place). Someone lit a cigarette and in 2 seconds some other guy's long, teased and hairsprayed hair went up like a torch (the 80's styles were still very in). I remember being mortified and feeling so sorry for that guy. His whole head of hair looked like a wad of plastic in 2 seconds flat.

D:

Ouch, I'm glad I didn't have it anywhere near as bad as that.

Andrea H
March 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I can't tell you how many times as a kid, I'd wrap a section of hair around those round brushes thats completely plastic, and get my hair stuck in them. One time I cut my own bangs...bad idea. I also didn't take care of my hair like I should've and had a mat in my hair for like, four years. Yeah, I'm surprised my hair is still okay to be honest.

Ambystoma
March 6th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Just yesterday I got a few strands caught in a wicker laundry basket as I was leaning forward to get some clothes out - it ended up breaking quite a few since they were really stuck! Note to self, hair UP next time you do that, even if you're just about to step into the shower!

gillybeanxo3921
March 6th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I was casually reclining on the school bus, when the vehicle came to an abrupt stop. I was flung out of my seat onto the dirty bus floor, and when I tried to stand, my head was stuck to the wall. My hair had gotten tangled around one of the bolts on the inside wall of the bus! It was terrible.

Bagginslover
March 7th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Filling my dishwasher at work this morning (I'm a lab tech in a school, so a chemical washer, not food) My ends dipped in the left over water/chemical mix!! EWWWWWWW!!! hair up at work from now on I think!

Hiriel
March 7th, 2013, 03:52 AM
I used to own a cute little hand held battery-driven fan. It was great for when you were feeling too hot, it had a little mister bottle on it, and a tiny fan, so that you could get air and cool water in a fine mist. Until I for some reason tried to cool my warm neck, and got a lock of hair into it, getting the fan stuck and burning out the little motor on it... Sigh...

My flatmate at the time laughed herself silly when I came to ask her help cutting the thing out of my hair.

MaryO
March 7th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Teehee, had a chuckle at some of these, I have to admit! *blushes*

Never did anything to my hair by accident or innocently- all the stupid things I've done to my hair was done consciously and afterwards I felt regret! (Tried to cut my hair into a bob myself, dyed it to an inch of it's life and countless failed attempts at cutting a fringe!)

sparrowswing
March 7th, 2013, 04:42 AM
I've gotten it caught in hair dryers (nearly every time I've used one, which is the real reason I don't use the things) and wrapped around necklaces tons of times. When I was four my brother went through a phase where he cut up anything he could find, including my hair, so I had a cute little bob when I started kindergarten. I've had it singed while putting firewood in the wood stove at my parents' or brother's house. Once I even got a lock of hair wrapped completely around a piece of firewood without noticing, and when I tossed it in, my whole head was jerked into the stove as well. Luckily it's a big stove and I was just tossing some wood onto coals, so I didn't get burned. I even managed to extract my hair from around the wood without breaking off more than a few strands, so I was lucky.

I think the worst, or at least most embarrassing, was one of my first times staying in a nice hotel, my hair got caught in the automatic revolving door, which then decided to stop halfway around. I was so afraid they'd have to cut it all off to get the thing moving again, but it started up again when my friend came back for me, so I hobbled along with it to the other side.

WaitingSoLong
March 7th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I think the worst, or at least most embarrassing, was one of my first times staying in a nice hotel, my hair got caught in the automatic revolving door, which then decided to stop halfway around. I was so afraid they'd have to cut it all off to get the thing moving again, but it started up again when my friend came back for me, so I hobbled along with it to the other side.

Ok that gave me a good laugh and visual image! LOL! Sorry :blush:

I have a few funny revolving door stories but they do not involve hair. Revolving doors should be ILLEGAL lol.

Glamgirl
March 7th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I was in the car the other day, and when I took off my seatbelt, it retracted as usual...but this time took a bunch of my hair with it!! OUCH!!

Kaelee
March 7th, 2013, 10:22 PM
LOL! I got a good laugh from this ;)

Gives new meaning to "hair in your food"...now the hair is an ingredient! LOL

PraiseCheeses
March 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Not really an accident, but lately my cat, who sleeps on my head, has been getting tangled in my hair, even if it's in a braid or a bun. Before she settles down, she likes to step around as close to my skull as she can get, and invariably gets caught in my hair. Then, even if she manages to lie on my head without pulling my hair, she kicks when she sleeps and sometimes suddenly wakes up and panics when she realizes she has a foot caught. My boyfriend is awakened at least once a night by my sleepy "GODD@MMIT, CAT!" :lol:

Time for a sleep cap. I love my purring beret.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Not really an accident, but lately my cat, who sleeps on my head, has been getting tangled in my hair, even if it's in a braid or a bun. Before she settles down, she likes to step around as close to my skull as she can get, and invariably gets caught in my hair. Then, even if she manages to lie on my head without pulling my hair, she kicks when she sleeps and sometimes suddenly wakes up and panics when she realizes she has a foot caught. My boyfriend is awakened at least once a night by my sleepy "GODD@MMIT, CAT!" :lol:

This is so funny - and cute - and painful - ouch!

sparrowswing
March 8th, 2013, 01:49 AM

My dad has the exact same problem. He's growing his hair out and it's a little past APL, and his cat Buddy wraps around his head at night. Sometimes Buddy will randomly start kicking, occasionally even startling himself awake just like you describe. Other times he'll start gnawing on dad's hair. If he wakes dad up more than once, he has to spend the rest of the night at his feet instead, which really just leads to him gnawing on toes the whole night. It's cute, but I'm not sure I could handle it.

chen bao jun
March 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM
My dad has the exact same problem. He's growing his hair out and it's a little past APL, and his cat Buddy wraps around his head at night. Sometimes Buddy will randomly start kicking, occasionally even startling himself awake just like you describe. Other times he'll start gnawing on dad's hair. If he wakes dad up more than once, he has to spend the rest of the night at his feet instead, which really just leads to him gnawing on toes the whole night. It's cute, but I'm not sure I could handle it.
I like cats because they are independent (I think of dogs as always being all over you) but besides the fact that my mother is allergic to cats, I would never have one for just this reason. Once I had a roomate with the cutest cat (a Burmese) who used to come in the room in the night and jump on my chest to sleep, sinking her little claws in. After a couple of weeks of this, I could understand why people used to associate cats with wicked witches.

chen bao jun
March 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Does this count as an accident? Wasp flew into my hair and got stuck there once? I have no idea how my mother got it out once she was able to get me to stand still (as opposed to running around in circles screaming hysterically.) fortunately my mom was there, as my husband is allergic to wasps.
I did also set my hair on fire once. I was five years old and I was cooking. I had the good sense to go put my head under the sink faucet. I've had bangs ever since (I burnt off the hair in the front and my mom cut the burnt ends off to make bangs and I liked them, I guess.)

In2wishin
March 8th, 2013, 09:56 AM

I used to put my hair up to sleep by clipping it upwards with a barrette (if that makes sense) and always had a dangling tail. One of my cats at the time would wake up in the middle of the night wanting to play and would invariably start by batting that tail. Really annoying!

Ravenwind
March 8th, 2013, 09:57 AM
When I was little I had very curly hair. One day I saw my step brother playing with a toy car and he was rubbing it on his head (don't ask me why lol) and I had the brilliant idea to copy him. Well, the tires of the car ended up getting tangled up in my hair and my mom had to carefully remove it. I don't remember if I had to cut my hair, I don't think I did, but there was another time when I was chewing gum and decided to put my hair in my mouth (when I was in 2nd grade) and THAT resulted in a new haircut. xD

EndlessSunshine
March 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Does this count as an accident? Wasp flew into my hair and got stuck there once? I have no idea how my mother got it out once she was able to get me to stand still (as opposed to running around in circles screaming hysterically.) fortunately my mom was there, as my husband is allergic to wasps.
I did also set my hair on fire once. I was five years old and I was cooking. I had the good sense to go put my head under the sink faucet. I've had bangs ever since (I burnt off the hair in the front and my mom cut the burnt ends off to make bangs and I liked them, I guess.)

I had this happen to me in elementary school. My mother was helping out in the classroom and she just started smacking me on the head. Here I had a wasp in my hair but didn't know that at the time. I was all WTF in my little girl sort of way. lol

jeanniet
March 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Oh, yes. I was in the habit of getting perms in the 80s--don't ask me why, because my hair is wurly anyway, and they were always a frizzy disaster--and one day when we were out hiking a bee became trapped in the Perm of Doom. I could feel it buzzing around, yelled for my husband to get it out, and he promptly smacked me hard on the head, thereby squashing the bee into oblivion and giving me a headache at the same time. Oh, and it stung me, too!

Cirafly24
March 8th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I used to smoke, and one day my friends thought it would be funny to secretly turn up the flame on my lighter as high as it would go. The next time I lit a cigarette, I burnt my bangs, eyelashes, and eyebrows clean off. Those b*stards.

WaitingSoLong
March 8th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I remember one I had about 3 years ago. I got nail polish in my hair. I am still not sure how it happened. I panicked. I used nail polish remover to get it out and it did not seem to do any damage. I cannot recall if it was acetone or not.

Ninika
March 8th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Does drunken stupidity count as an accident? Looong ago when I was a teenager some dumbass accidentally got his chewing gum in my hair at a party :hatchet:. In my own slightly inebriated state I thought it was a good idea to borrow a sharp knife from the guy behind the bar and cut the offensive gum right out. Luckily it was in the underlayer, so not visible when my hair was down, but I lost a big chunk of hair that day, and I cut it to about three inches. It took forever to grow out.

Vrindi
March 8th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I got the ends stuck in the gri-gri when I was belaying one day while climbing. Luckily, the climber was very close to the ground, or it could have been disastrous— for him. (The person who belays is the one on the ground, holding the rope that the climber is attached to. A gri-gri is a piece of equipment that acts like a brake to keep the rope from slipping through when the climber falls.) That was the last time I wore my hair down when climbing. Now, I even have to be careful of the ends of my braids. I usually wear a bun or a long braid, and make sure it's down my back and not over my shoulder.

neko_kawaii
March 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM
All the cat stories reminded me that when my cat was younger she would chew on the end of my braid given the chance and shorten it.

jasper
March 10th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Packing tape. Yep, I felt stupid when I got my hair stuck to the packing tape when selling a box for mailing. I did it twice in a row. My fine hair would rather break than part ways from packing tape adhesive.

Immera
March 10th, 2013, 05:59 PM
In middle school, I got my hair caught in a fan that didn't have a protective grate covering. Not fun.

Anytime I wear my hair down on a windy day it gets caught in the car door or window.

Celtic Morla
March 11th, 2013, 06:08 PM
hmm I've gotten my hair stuck in the door as I close it gotten stuck on strange men's buttons(I always wonder how close they were..ewwwwwww!) Cut a piece of my length off while trimmming a show Lhasa Apso's length(my friend whose dog it was about peed herslef when she heard that story!!) Have gotten it caught in dress buttons,zippers, of course a hair brush and comb. I think the worst moment of stupid was when I was braiding it and managed to braid part of my scarf into it!!

TheMechaGinger
March 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Slammed my hair in the car door plenty of times when I was a kid, no real damage to my hair but man did my neck hurt! I also set my hair on fire once trying to get my mom's stupid old stove to light. Scared the bejeezus out of me

melusine963
March 12th, 2013, 07:32 AM
This didn't happen to me, but the last time my mum cut my sister's hair she was only going for a trim. My sister kept tilting her head to one side, so it came out uneven. When my mum trimmed more off to even it out, she titled her head the other way. Rinse and repeat a few times, and she ended up with a very uneven chin length haircut. That was the last time my mum agreed to cut our hair, and she insisted we go to an actual hairdresser.

Now after years of coughing up for hairdressers, my sister is cutting my hair for me. No disasters so far. Thank goodness for Feye's self-trim method.

Celtic Morla
March 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I used to smoke, and one day my friends thought it would be funny to secretly turn up the flame on my lighter as high as it would go. The next time I lit a cigarette, I burnt my bangs, eyelashes, and eyebrows clean off. Those b*stards.

My brother was in a production of Brigadoon and th eguys were forbidden to trim their hair or beardsso they would looek "wild" well he was lighting th epropane BBQ andit wasnt lighting instead of turning it off and letting th efumes dissapate he tossed in amathc and FUME! singed all th ehair from his beard to th efront of his hair! Funny htingg was it made it redder looking so just left it til th eend of th erun and then trimmedit down!LOL

MINAKO
June 4th, 2016, 01:10 PM
It's from a few weeks ago but i'mma still post this to revive this thread and remind everyone to stay safe lol.

https://youtu.be/8TTIzeaJ6bU

littlestarface
June 4th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I cant believe I watched that, I cant handle that stuff! :wail: :wail: I had to pause it I cant!:agape::run:

reilly0167
June 4th, 2016, 02:06 PM
OOOOOOOOO MYYYYYYYY GOD!!!!!!!:agape:

humble_knight
June 4th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Eating corn on a drill is strange, but you would think people would be aware of fire safety. An itty bitty candle which is lit is still going to light your hair up. Sheesh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjAF8zrsWeo

vampyyri
June 4th, 2016, 02:25 PM
About a month ago, I was cooking (gas stove... see where this is going?), and I checked to see if the burner was on. Well, it was, and since my hair was down a small section of hair caught fire. :bigeyes: Luckily I had good reflexes, because only about 1/4" was aflame before I saved it. So... impromptu microtrim? :lol: :doh:

MINAKO
June 4th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Oh my, the party spray one was kinda intense lol. I got my bangs burned by a guy who was bullying me sometime in higschool but it was puffy and wild anyways so it didn't really affect the overall look. Don't think that could happen to me now unless someone intentionally lights up my bun or i fall backwards into a campfire. I'm kinda uncomfortable with my hair down around people anyways but it happened often enough that i got it caught into a zipper or chewing gum.

littlestarface
June 4th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Oh my, the party spray one was kinda intense lol. I got my bangs burned by a guy who was bullying me sometime in higschool but it was puffy and wild anyways so it didn't really affect the overall look. Don't think that could happen to me now unless someone intentionally lights up my bun or i fall backwards into a campfire. I'm kinda uncomfortable with my hair down around people anyways but it happened often enough that i got it caught into a zipper or chewing gum.

Lol that was the one I liked the most hahaha Like damn that turned into a blow torch rofl!

MINAKO
June 4th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Lol that was the one I liked the most hahaha Like damn that turned into a blow torch rofl!

Reminds me of this. Dunno if he burned his hair but definitely something else https://youtu.be/hZ9C2X7hyG8

Spinder
June 4th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Yikes! That is one thing I have never managed to do, is set my hair on fire, or get a chunk torn out somehow, and I never plan for that to change! Of course, it can happen to the best of us, no matter how careful we are.

Probably the worst I have done is get it caught in a round brush when I was little. Ooh, those things are evil! I eventually got it out though! It has also been yanked on by a few babies, but thankfully nothing too serious!

Neptune
June 4th, 2016, 04:58 PM
OMG i have an awful one. One morning last week, I was standing in a PACKED metro car and was smashed up against the wall, right next to the sliding door. Hair was down because I had just washed it. When it came time to get off at my stop... my hair was stuck INSIDE THE SLIDING METRO DOOR. Ahhhhhhh!!!! My life flashed before my eyes. I FLIPPED out, ripped my hair out of the door, and dashed off the train. There is definitely a shorter chunk now, but luckily the damage isn't too noticeable. :shocked: :shocked:

lulikrueger
June 4th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Around a year ago, I had black hair with a platinum patch in the front. My hair is neither black or white, so I had to dye both colours every couple of months.
I was colouring my roots with black hair dye and didn't pay attention... And I dyed the roots from the white patch black.
UGHHHHHH

littlestarface
June 4th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Reminds me of this. Dunno if he burned his hair but definitely something else https://youtu.be/hZ9C2X7hyG8

Lmao:rollin::rollin: I love stuff like this.

MINAKO
June 4th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Lmao:rollin::rollin: I love stuff like this.

It's the main reason why i'm using the meipai app. Chinese people are quite creative when it comes to DIY jackass episodes. Fireworks in underwear is another classic hahaha.

diddiedaisy
June 4th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Luckily, I haven't had any mishaps. I have scared other people with my hair though. I was waiting at a bus stop with big 80's perm and a bee got stuck in it, now bees don't bother me in the slightest so I just left it there thinking it would fly off when it was ready. In the meanwhile though my bus turned up, so I just jumped on thinking nothing about the massive bee stuck to my head. As it was rush hour the bus was packed, but funnily enough no-one wanted to stand too close to me!!! Eventually, someone mentioned the bee in my hair but I just shrugged my shoulders and told them to leave it alone it wouldn't sting them, and it was just freeloading a ride. lol

littlestarface
June 4th, 2016, 08:33 PM
It's the main reason why i'm using the meipai app. Chinese people are quite creative when it comes to DIY jackass episodes. Fireworks in underwear is another classic hahaha.

Lol did you see the one where a japanese guy sets his own room on fire while on a minecraft stream? Haha omg it's hilarious!

Spinder
June 4th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Lol did you see the one where a japanese guy sets his own room on fire while on a minecraft stream? Haha omg it's hilarious!

I think I've seen that video, though it wasn't minecraft he was playing, I didn't recognize the game. He was messing around with an oil lighter, trying to light a cigarette - didn't know how to use the lighter correctly, and got oil all over his hands. So then he tried to light his cigarette with a match, the oil on his hands went all over the matchbook, so when it ignited the whole thing caught fire... then he threw it into a pile of papers. NOT smart!

MINAKO
June 4th, 2016, 09:38 PM
https://youtu.be/uDMMrNVArzI You mean this?? Aww, really stupid but i feel bad for him :(

school of fish
June 4th, 2016, 10:44 PM
I had one just last week that I posted about but I think it can go here as well. Last Saturday I had a half hour dance gig and in the first 5 minutes two sizeable chunks of my hair tangled up into the fringe of my costume top. I realized right away what happened and tried to release the hair discreetly while still dancing but it wasn't going to happen so I just ignored it and performed the rest of the set and let the tangles get worse and worse. When I went back to the dressing room I couldn't get out of my costume because my hair was velcroed to my top. Took me 20 minutes of manic-yet-ginger pulling to release myself from my costume - ripped out a bunch of it in the process.

Although having to rip at my hair was upsetting, my main stressor in that moment was trying to figure out how to leave the venue gracefully, still velcroed to my top, without being seen by my employer or the crowd I just danced for...

littlestarface
June 5th, 2016, 01:46 AM
https://youtu.be/uDMMrNVArzI You mean this?? Aww, really stupid but i feel bad for him :(

Ya lol poor guy, I found it funny how he kept putting cardboard on it. This is why I love streams you never know what will happen :p

Inga-Marjukka
June 6th, 2016, 11:23 AM
My hair keeps getting stuck in my armpits when I'm wearing it down. Also one stupid incident occurred when I was vacuuming and thought of making myself a ponytail with the vacuum by putting a hairtie around the nozzle, sucking my hair into the vacuum and pushing the hairtie around the base of my hair. Anyway, I should have turned the vacuum off before bringing the tie near it and it sucked in the hairtie, leaving me standing there like an idiot. Not really a dangerous accident but it was my last hairtie...

nakima
June 6th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I got my side braid stuck on the velcro on the front of my jacket! it's really hard to get off and tears your hair so be careful!!!! lol! I did this several times you would think I would learn :shrug:

Garnetgem
June 6th, 2016, 09:36 PM
I got my side braid stuck on the velcro on the front of my jacket! it's really hard to get off and tears your hair so be careful!!!! lol! I did this several times you would think I would learn :shrug:

I have a new jacket with velcro i will sure now watch out for this....would never have thought otherwise...sounds painful lol!

Garnetgem
June 6th, 2016, 09:38 PM
My hair seems to get stuck around the shower head with each wash...there is a groove on it and when i hold it to use i get stuck and while i struggle to get free it gets messy the water soaks the bathroom i get soap in my eyes and if thats not bad enough i lose a chunk as it wedges in the darn groove!

Qz
June 6th, 2016, 09:48 PM

I did a pyro on mine once (hazard of smoking in bed which I stopped doing afterward) and had to chop it clear off. Now I'm completely a non smoker but it took me many years to give up the coffin nails even after that traumatic event. Apparently I can be a very slow learner.

Simsy
June 7th, 2016, 12:18 AM
I got lazy one week and decided to see how long I could stretch the combing out for. 3 days later, I discovered that ringlets will dread themselves if given half a chance. 3 hours to carefully peel them apart, an hour to get them properly moisturized again and a promise to be a bit OCD/anal about finger combing everyday. Lesson learnt.

MINAKO
June 7th, 2016, 03:18 AM
I tried this too recently when i was sick, just didn't do anything to my hair for days on end, maybe 3 maybe 4 expecting my bun to mat into a giant catpuke ball and fall off. I was sick and in bed and really didnt care. But detangling didn't really take longer than it usually would. The only thing that got a bit more tangles were the baby hairs at the nape.

Inga-Marjukka
June 7th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Actually I forgot the worst one which was setting my hair on fire while lighting a cigarette on a windy night. Usually it's just single hairs that get in the way, getting singed by the cigarette. Got to be more careful.

Garnetgem
June 7th, 2016, 06:27 AM
This is not my accident but i saw it happen often....on the school bus a bunch of kids thought it a good idea to sit behind those with long hair and set light to it...the person was unaware as their hair was singed and lost length..when they got up to leave their hair was longer on one side it was totally ruined...dangerous had the person been wearing hair spray as its flammable..

Blissful337
June 7th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Actually I forgot the worst one which was setting my hair on fire while lighting a cigarette on a windy night. Usually it's just single hairs that get in the way, getting singed by the cigarette. Got to be more careful.

I used to smoke and did that too once. The smell of burnt hair is awful. I was so mad at myself!

Blissful337
June 7th, 2016, 06:39 AM
A few years ago I wanted bangs....need I say more. Lol I chopped way too short and crooked. I'll never make that mistake again. Had to Bobby pin them back until they grew out. I cried!

school of fish
June 7th, 2016, 07:04 AM
A few years ago I wanted bangs....need I say more. Lol I chopped way too short and crooked. I'll never make that mistake again. Had to Bobby pin them back until they grew out. I cried!

Oh wow you just reminded me I did that once too - years ago, at a party, while drunk... I don't know what possessed me to trim my bangs at that moment but it was not one of my better life choices... bahaha!!!

Blissful337
June 7th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Drunk trimming!!!! Yikes lol.

Inga-Marjukka
June 7th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Blissful337 burned hair smells so bad you're right! This forum has made me realise how dangerous it gets when hair is super long and burns on stoves and toasters and gets caught between oven doors shudder: Not a problem for me yet but it's a worrying prospect.

lithostoic
June 7th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Burning off a chunk while lighting a doobie. Not my proudest moment lol.

Ilovehair
June 7th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I tried Ironing my hair with an iron.

nakima
June 7th, 2016, 12:01 PM
I tried Ironing my hair with an iron.

I used to have my sister do this for me back in the 70's ha! you have to be very careful...

nakima
June 7th, 2016, 12:06 PM
It's from a few weeks ago but i'mma still post this to revive this thread and remind everyone to stay safe lol.

https://youtu.be/8TTIzeaJ6bU

Oh my goodness!!! That was so horrible to watch... made me want to cry for her

nakima
June 7th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I have a new jacket with velcro i will sure now watch out for this....would never have thought otherwise...sounds painful lol!

It's painful in the way you know it's ruining your hair. So yes be careful lol!

happimadison
June 7th, 2016, 12:47 PM
This didn't happen to me -- my mom, rather -- but it's still totally worthy of inclusion. :D

She was baking a cake, and while she was mixing the batter with an electric beater, she got her hair tangled in one. She was only in junior high, so her teenage logic thought it'd be a good idea to switch the beater in reverse and untangle it that way. That just made it worse. :rolling: She said she doesn't remember how they ended up untangling it, but I've been paranoid about hand mixers since hearing that one. :couch:

MINAKO
June 7th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Oh my goodness!!! That was so horrible to watch... made me want to cry for her

Yes i was twitching too. But actually amazed at how it just ripped out her front section so effortlessly instead of tangling up in all her hair and causing serious scalp injury. Her silky asian hairtype might have saved her from a more irreversable kind of damage. Bless this stupid girl, lol.

Elizabeth E
April 4th, 2018, 05:58 AM
When I was eleven, I once tried curling the front section of my damp hair by winding it around a thin toothed comb. Of course each time that you wind it around, the hair falls in a different way between the teeth of the comb so there's no way of getting it out. So I cut it off to a short fringe just above my eyebrows and tried hiding it at first...but then showed my mum and she helped to cut it straight across for me. I had a horrible side fringe for almost two years - luckily it's now as long as the rest of my hair.
But that is basically it for my stupid hair accidents!

Katsura
April 4th, 2018, 06:14 AM
Propably the stupidest thing I've ever done to my hair was when I was younger. I did color removal at home with box product twice the same day. Very soon after I washed off the second apply, I noticed that I had hurt my scalp pretty badly, and I rushed to find some honey and treated my scalp with it. I think I was lucky not to loose a bunch of hair with the experiment, my scalp ended up dry and even scabby at some parts.

HopelssRomantic
April 4th, 2018, 08:52 AM
When I was about 11, my brother got a remote control airplane for his birthday and asked if we could take it to a big park to fly it. When we got to the park it was Very windy, and I had forgotten to bring a scrunchie (90's, lol). So I was already having a hard time trying to keep control of my hair when he starts complaining that the airplane was hard to control in the wind. It was about 10 seconds later that it flies right at my shoulder, grazing my neck. At first I just reacted to the pain, then I realized that the front propeller had completely twisted into my hair, and was hanging from it. My mom took the controller from my brother, turned it off (it was still trying to twist), and came over to see if she could untangle it. She did get most of it out, but ended up having to rip the last bit to get me free. I cried the whole way home, and nobody bought my brother any airplanes again.

Maple
April 4th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Last week my hair got stuck in curlers. I had to cut some strands. Some are CBL now, some shoulder length, some BSL. The rest is at hip length with a v-hemline. As I haven't got that much hair, it looks pretty stupid. As if a child had cut my hair.

nycelle
April 4th, 2018, 10:59 AM
I purchased a pair of scissors to do S&D with. Last week they came and I tried it out. Winded up cutting about 20 strands from just above shoulder (my hair is BSL) instead of the one where I tried cutting the split. My hair is angled in the front so a little shorter than the back. I didn't realize just how far back I had the scissors when I cut- so much so that it grabbed the longer hairs and cut them too.

AutobotsAttack
April 4th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Our bathroom was being renovated, so on days where I was washing my hair only, I had to wash it in the sink. Usually there’s a hair catcher to keep my hair out of the gears and cogs of the disposal system and catch any shed hairs. I have no idea what made me decide to not put the catcher in the sink, but I didn’t and my hair got caught in whatever machinery was in the sink. I was moving in all different directions trying to slip my hair out of the sink. I got the majority out, but quite a few of my longest hairs were shredded off by the blades of the disposal (it wasn’t on). This was some years ago when I was around BSL or so.

Another time, I decided to try and wash my hair while it was still in very small flat twists, and one particular twists knotted up completely. Largest knot I’ve ever had form in my hair. There was no untangling it. I tried a sowing needle, conditioner, serums, nothing was working, so I had to cut the knot out and it was a bit noticeable. It was the right side of my hair towards my ear, so it wasn’t the longest hairs, but I was still upset with myself. It’s grown back all the way since then.

leayellena
April 5th, 2018, 12:32 AM
back when I used to blow dry my hair (I canīt believe my mom still uses it):
my momīs blow dryer is old, rusty nasty thing. the little ventilator inside doesnīt work well. on slow cold air it takes forever to blow dry, you could just as well air dry your hair. on hot it is really hot and the ventilator spins so fast it catches your hair throw the grills and spins it around the ventilator. good luck if you have long hair...
it looks like this one, but yellow... https://brightnest.com/posts/5-new-ways-to-use-an-old-hair-dryer

ladycatpurrs
April 7th, 2018, 06:44 PM
I hardly ever have my hair loose but I did a few weeks ago and walked behind a pedestal fan...I didn't lose much but geez, owie!! A worse one didn't happen to me but a fellow long hair. An older lady with thick, knee length gorgeous virgin hair, lovely. She had to have surgery and when she woke up after the operation almost half of her hair had been ripped out of her scalp. She doesn't know what happened and her health was too bad to make a fuss but I think maybe a braid slipped down and got caught in the gurney wheels and was yanked. Her beautiful hair got cut short. :-( And her hair WAS stunning. I also had surgery and, knowing this, my hair was PACKED on top of my head and pinned down like a hostage and I fitted my own cap down tight before I went under.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 7th, 2018, 06:49 PM
I hardly ever have my hair loose but I did a few weeks ago and walked behind a pedestal fan...I didn't lose much but geez, owie!! A worse one didn't happen to me but a fellow long hair. An older lady with thick, knee length gorgeous virgin hair, lovely. She had to have surgery and when she woke up after the operation almost half of her hair had been ripped out of her scalp. She doesn't know what happened and her health was too bad to make a fuss but I think maybe a braid slipped down and got caught in the gurney wheels and was yanked. Her beautiful hair got cut short. :-( And her hair WAS stunning. I also had surgery and, knowing this, my hair was PACKED on top of my head and pinned down like a hostage and I fitted my own cap down tight before I went under.

This is so terrible! :shock:

ladycatpurrs
April 7th, 2018, 10:29 PM
This is so terrible! :shock:

I know. I was so sick when I heard that. Bad health, surgery, the scalp pain and the loss of something she valued. I call that a rotten situation.