PDA

View Full Version : Dry hair after trying a new product

Ahl
March 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I used Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner for the first time on Sunday night, thinking it sounded like a nice balance of moisture and protein. After using it I saw that the conditioner has cones. My hair felt lovely while washing it, but once dry it was just that - dry, back to being a bit coarse and even somewhat brittle.

Until now my cleaning routine has been alternating between focus on pH balance with BS/ACV and product choices that are focused on adding moisture. Is there some easy way to tell which it is that my hair doesn't like - protein or cones?

lunalocks
March 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Just want to say, I found many more splits after using the Organix conditioner, even tho at first it felt silky and wonderful.

woolyleprechaun
March 5th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I wish :P All I can suggest is that you try using protein free coneys and see what happens, and then try protein rich no cones and see what happens. Not the most scientific study ever, but worth a go. May be worth clarifying inbetween experiments to get a fair trial.

Ahl
March 5th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Experimentation, trial and error, process of elimination... What's not scientific about that? :)

I was just hoping there was some sort of giveaway as to which is at issue, I suppose - that way I don't have to buy a couple of new products to conduct tests - at least one of which most likely will be binned!

Mandie
March 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
My hair thinks cones are wonderful -- no cone was a terrible experiment for my hair, it haaaated it after about one shower where it felt nice -- but it HATES protein. If I try to do an egg-involving recipe of any sort I'm guaranteed to have crunchy yucky hair. My hair is highly opposed to protein.

ravenreed
March 5th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Protein does bad, bad things for my hair. It is really difficult sometimes to find good, protein free products. If you keep using it and your ends snarl, get really brittle, and feel like a brillo pad, then your hair hates protein.

jacqueline101
March 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry your hair hated it. I've never used it but maybe clarifying and s&d would help.

Carolyn
March 5th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Experimenting is the only way to know for sure. I'd suggest keeping a written record of what you do. The blogs here are an easy way to do that. So if you don't have a blog you might want to start one. You can always do a little notebook too but those are easily lost. FWIW I was very unimpressed with Organix products. I tried 2 kinds of their S & Cs and gave them away after a couple of tries.

Ahl
March 5th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Ok, I've just become even more confused! It turns out that one of my favourite shampoos contains cones as well. Yep, that's right - the cones are in the shampoo, not the conditioner (L'Oreal's sulfate-free line) - which seems a bit doing-it-wrong, but.... I use the Everstrong shampoo (which has protein) with either the Eversleek bog standard conditioner or the Everpure intense mask (both are more moisture-based) and my hairlikes the stuff. [And yes, I chose a protein shampoo to go with moisture-based conditioners on purpose - it's just my first time observing the presence of cones.]

I've just done a BS/conditioner/ACV/cold rinse in the hopes of rectifying whatever it is the Organix did - we'll see how it goes.

Maybe it's just coconut or egg whites my hair hates. I WILL get to the bottom of this!

LadyLongLocks
March 5th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I have used this product for a while. I don't like the conditioner as much as the shampoo. I dilute the shampoo with lots of water in an empty bottle. I use the conditioner for a pre conditioner mixed with coconut oil, but finish with another brand with more cones ( Thermasilk)
Maybe you used too much shampoo?

jeanniet
March 5th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Carolyn may be right, and it could simply be the product that doesn't agree with your hair. The unfortunate answer to the protein vs. cones question is...you have to learn by experimentation. My hair hates cones. I really wish it didn't, and every few months I try something with cones in it, hoping that my hair will suddenly embrace them--most recently I tried Giovanni's serum--and it's always a no go. Dry, yucky hair. You'd think I would learn, but I keep trying. Anyway, protein doesn't bother my hair at all, but it's very possible that there may be a particular type of protein that your hair is reacting to.

betsb
March 5th, 2013, 06:15 PM
I've tried a couple of Organix products and was surprised what my hair felt like after using them. The only one I like is the Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner.