PDA

View Full Version : ideas for very secure updos?

insideitall
August 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I usually have my hair in some sort of bun held with a claw clip. I know, I know, they're bad, and I've noticed some breakage.

This is the problem - I work (physically) with animals, so that severely limits my options. No sticks, nothing that wouldn't withstand a fair amount of physical activity, and I really hate how something like a folded up braid feels bouncing against my neck. The clip seems to keep it in, most days, but I'm trying to stay away from the damage that comes with it. Occasionally I do wear a braid, but that's taking a chance as it's so long and gets in the way of everything. Sometimes I have to tuck it down my shirt, which of course doesn't look professional at all :p.

Any ideas?

These are the times I wish I had a desk job ;)

lookingglass
August 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I like a french twist with a Willowthewisp hair fork. It lasts all day working with children and it stays totally up and out of my face!

Anje
August 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
For me, claw clips never hold well and hurt my scalp, so my response is a little biased, but they seem to work for a lot of people.

You can find some higher quality claws that don't have sharp seams, or can smooth the seams down with sandpaper.

Other options are buns secured with hairpins (look at Amish hairpins and Wavelength pins, which are double-pointed knitting needles folded into a U or V shape) and Ficcares. Ficcares are rather expensive, but many find that they hold hair like nothing else, while being smooth and quite hair-friendly, unless you have run-ins with the spring mechanism.

kwaniesiam
August 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM
For your type of job, I'd say a bun secured with pins and maybe a scrunchie over top for extra security and to dress it up a little?

AJoifulNoise
August 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM
A cinnabun held with a bunch of little clips. Like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/100_4390.jpg

This is the 'do idea I got when I asked for a secure one. It's the most secure thing I've found to date.

Nevermore
August 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Braided bun, if your hair is layered and needs all the layers back, do a highish ponytail first, fasten with an elastic and then braid the hair, fasten at end with elastic and use pins or a very short stick (I have one I fixed after it broke that doesn't extend more than 1/4 inch from the edge of my bun on either side). You say sticks are out, but they don't have to be long or obvious, so that's something to keep in mind.

Miss Murphy
August 27th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I use several smaller clips, like AJoifulnoise, but I find that a braided bun is even more secure than a cinnamon bun :) (It's the hairstyle I wear when doing sports)

Kuchen
August 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Hair scroos! Solid as a rock.

nicolezoie
August 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I don't know if your hair is long enough to do this but it's worth a shot to describe it to see if you CAN... It's a variation on a figure 8 bun. Make a beebutt bun (a bun that stacks at the base of each wrap that sticks out from your head) and flip the outermost wrap UP, then wrap a ponytail holder around the base of the bun and around the rest of the bun but not the flipped portion. Does this make sense? Anyhow, for me this is probably the most secure thing I do with my hair that doesn't involve sticks or clips, which my scalp refuses. :)

frizzinator
August 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
When you say no sticks, does that include plain short sticks that do not stick out on either side of the bun? I like 4" to 5" sticks without toppers, or just turned at the top. The short ketylo is a good choice.

The most secure buns I make with these short sticks are: the orchid bun, gibraltar bun, Karen Lynn knot, double looped knot, wrapped bun (with this a short fork works even better), flipped cinnamon bun and in fact, you might try flipping any kind of bun, which sometimes makes it more secure.

insideitall
August 27th, 2008, 06:40 AM
hey thanks everyone :)

I do usually wear my hair in a regular twisted bun or a braided bun. A quick rough estimate measurement of my ponytail yields 27". As I shower in the morning, my hair being wet really helps it stay - but if something bangs against it, that one lonely clip will rip right out. Taking some sad broken hairs with it :(

I think first I will try the u shaped hairpins - I like the idea of them being flat and nothing knocking them out, hopefully - and then the little claw clips (then I can stop putting a clip in the same spot). I had actually been looking for them but nowhere I've gone (walmart, target, etc) seems to have them. I haven't gone to the mall and looked in those girly stores yet.

I also had this idea this morning - maybe making some sort of drawstring pouch that I could put over the bun? I would need to use a ponytail holder at the top so the tie wouldn't slip, I think, but it seems to me it should work. I remembered my mom had this little snap barette thing with a little lace pouch for the hair. The barette was ugly but it's a good idea :p. Or a large bandana over whatever clips so they at least won't get caught.

mmm brainstorming.. haven't used that word since elementary school..

Pierre
August 27th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I second hair scroos. One of my most common updos is a bun held with a hair scroo, with two Mini Maxes at the sides to hold hair that's too short to reach the bun.

Magdalene
August 27th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I think what you're looking for is a crocheted bun cover- alot of ballerinas use them. Kind of like a miniature snood.

I also find an inside out bun secured with my Bronze Jewelers corkscrew doesn't move. Flexi-8's are also an option. Wavelength pins are also genius.

anna1850
August 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM
If you can afford it, I find that a Ficcare Maxima over a log roll holds like a rock and only takes about 10 seconds to do after practicing. I have a photo of my hair here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=18474) held like that. You can also use them over buns.

The coloured Ficcares I'm a bit more careful with as the coloured bit could scratch or fall out I suppose if one was excessively rough with it but the ones which are only made of metal are very solid and I just chuck them in my bag and they never get scratched or broken. I know somebody bent one when they ran over it in their car but apart from that I've never heard of one breaking. And they hold so well :)

I haven't really had any damage from it. Very occaisionally I'll get a couple of hairs caught in the spring but if you press down on the top that should release them. I have much less damage then with other clips and stuff.

LadyLongLocks
August 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Several small jaw clips. My hair is heavy and I switched to several small clips to distribute the weight. I used to use 2 large clips but find 6-8 small is so much better.
I have a "comfy cinnamon bun" demo on youtube showing how I do it. Its a great style for every day and very secure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZEDOMF5ek

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/BANNERS%20FOR%20LINKING/sig2-2lhc.jpg

Tapioca
August 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I think what you're looking for is a crocheted bun cover- alot of ballerinas use them. Kind of like a miniature snood.

If you know someone who crochets, these are really easy. Or you could take a round doily and weave a length of ribbon through the outermost edge. Pull the two ends, and the doily becomes a pouch!

As far as shorter sticks that don't extend past the bun, I make my own. 1/4" dowel, cut down, ends sharpened with a pencil sharpener, sanded down and oiled. They're not fancy or pretty, but they don't need to be if they don't show.

insideitall
August 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM
what sort of oil do you use? that's a great idea! I love the cheapo do it yourself things :D

Arctic
August 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I was just browsing through archives and came across this nameless style from a member called Zopf. click (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=665657&postcount=12)

Tapioca
August 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
what sort of oil do you use? that's a great idea! I love the cheapo do it yourself things :D

I use jojoba because I use it on my hair, and I have the bottle laying around. And that way, if some of it rubs off into my hair, it won't hurt anything.