PDA

View Full Version : The Crunchy Ends help thread

Liluri
March 8th, 2008, 04:34 AM
The ends of my hair are crunchy atm and while I can find mention of them by searching site search but I can't find any suggestions of what I should do to help. I've also just put some henna in a few days ago if that matters.

I don't want to cut my crunchy ends, any suggestions from people with better memories than me please?

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I just henna'd a few days ago too! My ends seem a teensy bit crunchy as well. From what I've read on the HennaForHair boards (http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=viewforum&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS=4) it's pretty common and usually gone within a week or so. A good deep moisture treatment after your color has finished oxidizing should take care of it. I'm giving my hair a full week of minimal oils/conditioners/etc before I go doing anything heavy. I'm afraid I'll lose the pretty color I finally achieved. HTH. :)

eadwine
What I remember.. crunchy ends plus henna is condition condition condition. I have never used henna, but that is what I remember the drill being (if I remember right that is ;) )

WavyGirl
You could try clarifying. Normally crunchy means not enough moisture. If you've loaded up on product it can seal the hair shaft and stop any conditioning you're doing from working. A bit of baking soda in your usual shampoo should be enough to start with and then a good deep condition. See how they are after that.

tiny_teesha
March 8th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I'm certain liluri doesn't use cones. I don't and i did a clarifying wash because my hair was filthy (5 days without washing, will loads of coconut oil and shea plus i wanted to try a dry shampoo with herbs- DID NOT WORK!) and my ends are AWEFUL. Even my roots are a bit dry too.
I think perhaps it is time for a honey and henna wax mask...or a coconut milk soak perhaps? I think i will try a mayo mask for the first time tommorow!

Melisande
March 8th, 2008, 05:56 AM
My magic mix against crunchy ends is sheabutter with conditioner and jojoba oil, Fox' true and tried recipe.

I mist my ends, wait a bit, until the rose water is soaked in, then I massage the mixture carefully into the ends. then I bun and don't touch any more.

For me, oiling gives body but the shea butter mix gives softness.

hth

Liluri
March 8th, 2008, 06:02 AM
You could try clarifying. A bit of baking soda in your usual shampoo should be enough to start with and then a good deep condition. See how they are after that.

I want to try this but I do a CWC or shampoo bar, so anyone know if a combination of conditioner and baking soda might work for clarifying at all?

Please note I will not be leaving baking soda in my hair for very long I've seen what it does to tough steak :)

Liluri
March 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Thank you for all the lovely replies! I'll be reading this for more info and tomorrow I will try a clarifying wash and some deep conditioning to see if things improve.

Elfling
March 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM
What did you mix the henna with? I just did henna last week, and I did it with pure lemon juice. Oh my, did I get crunchy ends! I've done two coconut oil treatments and a half humectress/half coconut oil DC since then and it's improved, but I still have a bit left. I'm planning on doing another henna, but with chamomile tea, once my new shipment arrives to see if that helps.

CaraLynn
March 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I second the shea butter recipe.....that always works for my crunchy ends!!

MissHair
March 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I have this problem too and I think its from all the colouring Ive done because I cant see any visible split ends. I might cut them.

Anje
March 8th, 2008, 07:46 AM
For crunchy ends, conditioning always works best for me.... Drench them in the most moisturizing stuff you have, or SMT mix, and stick your ponytail in a bag for a few hours. That should help.

Kirin
March 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I am a henna user, and often end up with the same problem, though it does go away. Make sure you arent overloading with protein in any of your products, this seems to exacerbate the problem. Even the best rinsing after henna can leave some residue left over too, after a few washes (even co wash) will make it much softer/less crunch.

I also use carrot oil on my ends in the evening, bbb-ing it through gently, sleep on it, then wash in the morning as usual. That generally takes care of it.

Deborah
March 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I don't color my hair, but when the ends are a bit dry I use just a little shea butter on the last six inches or so, while my hair is damp, after just washing. This always leaves the hair soft and silky, but not greasy.

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I just finished replying in another thread about my ends. I think I've had a major 'lightbulb' moment for my recent, less-than-lovable ends.

I only have to clean my hair once a week and I only CO or SMT.

I've come to realize that my hair was somewhat protein sensitive, so I've eliminated daily use of coconut and/or shea butter and have gravitated towards daily moisturizing with water/conditioner misting of my ends at night.

But, the most major breakthrough for me was realizing that although my hair might tolerate or even enjoy a once a week dose of protein in my second, richer, CO conditioner.....if I moisturize nightly with a water/conditioner and that conditioner contains any protein....my ends will severely rebel.

I don't know if this will be of any help.

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
When my ends get crunchy, it means I need to do a protein treatment. Then they're back to their non-crispy selves.

Shermie Girl
March 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM
My ends would get a little crunchy after henna, too. A good oiling after rinsing and conditioning really helped. And it didn't hurt my fresh henna red. Also, after a good wash and conditioning after it oxidized, it was back to its soft, well-behaved self. :)

walkinglady
March 8th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I just did a clarifying treatment with 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1/2 cup of conditioner. It worked great! I did a second conditioning on the length only because I was afraid the soda would dry my hair too much.

Also, there was a thread sometime back about braiding your hair, drenching the tip, then putting a big blob of coconut oil on the tip only. Your hair should be soaking wet on the end before you put the oil on. You are suppose to do this once a day. I use this periodically and it really helps my ends.

hrimfaxi
March 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Well, I recently trimmed off my chronically-crunchy ends, but before that I did notice that application of coconut oil and/or shea butter improved their condition drastically. I have never henna'd my hair, though, so my advice may not be particularly useful to you.

Liluri
March 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
So I did a super condition with conditioner, shea butter and coconut oil. I'm not sure what it is about coconut oil but it just won't wash out easily from my hair, this doesn't happen with any other oil I've put in my hair.

The upside me ends weren't crunchy but they were still oily. I've had to use SLS shampoo, diluted to see if I can shift the oil and I will see how my ends are after this.

squiggyflop
March 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM
when i get cruchy ends i apply some camellia oil and damp bun and it gets better

RedButterfly
March 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM
ACV rinses always get rid of my crunchy ends. I always follow this with a lot of conditioning and jojoba oil.

Liluri
March 10th, 2008, 10:41 PM
ACV rinses always get rid of my crunchy ends. I always follow this with a lot of conditioning and jojoba oil.

What strength rinse do you use please and do you rinse it out please? :)

Liluri
March 11th, 2008, 03:27 AM
So I washed my ends with some diluted shampoo and baking soda and now my ends are great. Thank you for the tips and If it happens again I think I'm going to make up another butter and then washing it in shampoo/baking soda mix to anything left on the surface.

maskedrose
March 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
My ends have been kinda crunchy lately and while looking at the coconut oil thread I got some inspiration. Yesterday I mixed about 1/4 tsp each of coconut oil and shea butter and a dollup of suave tropical coconut conditioner in a cup and stuck the whole lot in the microwave for 20 seconds. Then I poured the melted concoction over my just washed, damp hair and rubbed it in, focusing on the ends. Then I stuck it in a bun all yesterday and today. I'm going to wash it tomorrow and see if my crunchies are gone...I'll update tomorrow!

Delenn
March 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Deep coconut oil treatments and the occasional dab of jojoba on the ends at night before bed has been my miracle cure for crunchy ends.

waidz
March 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM
when i get cruchy ends i apply some camellia oil and damp bun and it gets better

[hijack]OMG squiggyflop, your hair looks amazing. That is some awesome growth. What do you attribute it to? [/end hijack]
:D

Fee
April 26th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I washed my hair yesterday and I slept with it loose...I have the worst crunchy ends you can imagine,I oiled the ends heavily with coconut and I'll wash it later..I'm afraid I'm gonna have to cut at least an 1" off :( is there anything else I can do to save it? :(

aisling
April 26th, 2008, 11:45 PM
How did you wash it last time and what has been your routine lately? Have you been using any kind of leave in?

Fee
April 26th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Same routine :( everything same...I even slept with it loose before :(

aisling
April 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Well, honey, I don't know what your routine is, if you use shampoo, CO, CV bars, I'm not following your life that closely. Without this info it's pretty hard to give any kind of advice, for all I know it might be buildup or dry ends due to colouring your hair, it can turn evil pretty fast, but based on the info (or better, lack thereof) you've given, we won't be able to help you very much.

Fee
April 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I use herbal essences shampoo and conditioner,then I spray Schwarzkopf gliss kur hair repair on it :( it's usually oiled with coconut oil the day before I wash it. that's about it :(

Jeni
April 27th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't freak out until after you wash it. If it's still crunchy wait a few days, and then reevaluate it (try deep conditioning/SMT or a hair mask or a different oil or something). My hair has done that before, its like its moody or something, it was fine the next day. If nothing helps then consider a possible cut, but wait and think about it for 2 weeks.

Fee
April 27th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I really,really heavily oiled my ends and braided my hair, I'll have to wash it today. How long at least should I try to keep the oil on my hair?

aisling
April 27th, 2008, 12:53 AM
The Gliss stuff is, as far as I remember, heavy on the cones. If you haven't clarified or even washed your ends with any kind of shampoo for a while, now might be the time. Then do a deep treatment.

With the oil, if you can stand it until tonight, it's pretty good. I don't think it will matter much, as I'm guessing the cones in the Gliss spray might be the culprit here, those and other ingredients that can cause build up.

Faepirate
April 27th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I woke up with the worst crunchy ends today as well!
I'm seriously stunned at the state of them. My eyes popped out of my head when I looked in the mirror - my ends were crunchy, stiff and DEFYING GRAVITY in all directions. O_O

Like you I have no idea what happened!
I'm going to SMT today and a nice gentle CO wash on my scalp (I clarified yesterday with diluted SLS shampoo because I thought maybe it would be a good plan before continuing with CO but I guess my hair could be rebelling against that...)
That's the only thing I can think of!

I would leave the oil in your hair for a at least a few hours.
Then be sure to condition the ends really really well.
Hopefully you will find no trace of the crunchiness...

Emme76
April 27th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Well, it might only be my hair :rolleyes:...but my ends get really crunchy when it needs protein. I put olive oil and egg on my hair and that helps...(I know many canīt use any protein treatments cause their hair hates it...but mine likes it once in a while) then I do a moisturising SMT treatment....and some jojobaoil on the ends....it helpes me :)!!!

But as I learned - all hair is different.
Sometimes what worked on my hair last week - doesnīt help my hair today. My hair has a life on itīs own. Maybe your hair needs a shift in products. I canīt stay with one product to long....my hair needs a change once in a while...

Hope you are able to work it out so you donīt have to cut anything.....:(!!!!!!

Take care!!
/Emme76

tiny_teesha
April 27th, 2008, 03:49 AM
My hair always wanted protein, then one day it decided it hated it. My hair has drastically improved. Try EVERYTHING before cutting it. Even if you are going to, do a dusting first. You can always trim more later

Fee
April 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.I did heavy oiling on my ends and..left it in for about 10hours and washed it..this time I used only a little bit of shampoo and conditioner (herbal essences) and sprayed on a bit of Revlon equave 2 phase hydro nutritive conditioner :) I let it airdry..it's about 80% dry now and 90% of the crunchyness is gone :D:cool:

spidermom
April 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hooray for overcoming the crunchiness. It must be the weekend for it. I put a hair mask with protein on mine night before last and OMG! Attack of the crunchy snarlies! Last night I put perhaps 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil combed all through my hair, then braided, and all of the oil was absorbed. My hair looks and feels much better today.

Isilme
April 27th, 2008, 11:50 AM
oil overload? My hair is very very sensitive to oil and goes crunchy merely by the sigth of the coconut oil jar;)

Firefly
April 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm glad you were able to beat the crunchies, Fee! I know for me nothing takes care of the crunchies like a good clarifying. I don't use cones, but I do do light oiling and use a lot of protein products which seem to build up in my hair. Something to keep in mind for next time-- if all else fails, clarify! :)

Firefly

Fee
April 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
@Isilme: no, my hair really likes coconut oil :D

Am I glad I solved this...I was already half way down to the hair salon to cut if off...I have a hair salon downstairs...temptation is so close lol

Um Enis
May 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I saw Flaxen write that people get crunchy end from oiling?

Has this happened to you? With all oils? Or just some?

eadwine
May 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
No crunchie ends here, but sometimes they get crunchie due to lack of oil.

Might just be the opposite here and the hair has enough of those oil nutrients and needs more moisture?

savi
May 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
If I use too much oil then I get crunchy ends, I've managed to do this with coconut oil and olive oil. (And apparantly with coconut milk soak too..) It is possible that other oils could also cause this to happen to me, but I've learned the 'less is more' rule and don't over oil that often anymore.

Rain
May 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Depends on the oil for me. Most oils will give me crunchy and/or tangly ends. Coconut oil is the one my hair likes.

<She>
May 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
I have gotten crunchy ends with coconut oil, but! I don't think it was just coconut in it :suspect: I think there was mineral oil in it too, because I couldn't wash it out with regular shampoo. Other than that, I get crunchy hair if I overoil or if I don't dampen my hair enough before I apply any kind of oil.

FrannyG
May 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
I've never gotten crunchy ends with oil, even when I soak my hair in a ton of it for hours. I generally vary between coconut oil, jojoba oil and extra virgin olive oil. I did once have my hair stiffen when out in the cold with a deep coconut oil treatment, but that's just because it solidified. :)

Gabriel
May 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I don't why I tried it but I've used castor oil and if I used too much on my hair it would feel crunchy. I've used olive oil and it doesn't leave my hair crunchy though. I really like how the olive oil leaves it.

rhosyn_du
May 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Jojoba oil gives me crunchy ends. I'm fine with olive, coconut, and shea butter, though.

spidermom
May 23rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
When my ends were visible damaged from flat ironing, they felt worse with oil. Once I had those bad ends cut off, my hair began to respond very favorably to oil. I think that those ends were beyond help and couldn't absorb essential fatty acids anymore.

jojo
May 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
if i use too much then yes i get the crunchies, for me its about getting the amount just right and in my case less is more!

intothemist1999
May 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
I saw Flaxen write that people get crunchy end from oiling?

Has this happened to you? With all oils? Or just some?

I've wondered about this, too. I noticed my ends are a bit 'hard' or rougher compared to the rest of my hair (I use coconut oil) but I kind of attributed it to the oil harding (since coconut oil isn't a liquid at room temperature...well except on HOT days :) ) I don't notice it when I haven't applied oil so in my case I think it's the oil itself, not that it's affecting my hair.

1nuitblanche
May 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
This only happens to me when I put a lot of an oil that is solid at room temperature anyways on wet hair. Then, when the oil hardens up again as it cools, you it holds my hair a little bit like a product might. I'm not sure why this doesn't seem to happen when I put the same oil on dry hair. And when I wash my hair, then the crunchiness is gone and my hair is fairly happy.

Um Enis
May 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I don't think its the "solid at room temp" issue for me, at least.... my coconut oil's been liquid since March.

Flaxen
May 24th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I should respond since it was my comment that inspired the thread. :silly:

You name the oil, and I've probably tried it, lol. Coconut oil makes hair crunchy. Sometimes. :rolleyes: Monoi makes it instantly crunchy, and that has stayed the same. Virgin coconut oil used to make it crunchy, but it doesn't any more. It does make it straighter, though. The oils that work best for me are the oleic fraction oils like camellia, shea butter, and sunflower oil. Except that olive oil is an oleic oil, and it makes my hair kind of stiff, too. Jojoba doesn't really do anything but sit on the surface of my hair unless it's mixed with another oil like macadamia. That's a heavy mix, though, and best for prewash. The rest of them don't do anything unique, one way or another.

I don't really see a pattern, but the conclusion is that crunchiness depends on the oil, for me.

biglesliep
March 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I read in one posting someone mention "crunchy ends", but without explanation of what it is, exactly, and how to fix it.

So I think I have "crunchy ends". The last inch or so is kind of straw-like, but I don't have split ends (I've looked really closely). My hair is super tangly, so I try to find products without protein. I use coconut oil a few times a week on the length, and use the CWC cleaning method about 2x/week. I get my hair highlighted 3x/year, where they only lighten the new growth/roots, so they don't keep bleaching the length.

Can anyone tell me how to fix crunchy ends? Thanks!

biglesliep

Aisha25
March 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Have you ever clarified your hair?? Maybe they are having build-up and need a good cleaning.

Anje
March 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hello, hairtwin!
The trouble with crunchy ends is that they can have several causes:
Lack of moisture
Too much protein
Buildup
Mechanical/chemical damage
Each of these has different solutions.

Usually the preferred route is to first do a good clarifying wash (get an SLS-based clarifying shampoo, and suds your hair all the way to the ends, maybe twice), followed by protein-less (and usually silicone-less) moisture. I get knotty, velcro-like ends if my hair lacks moisture, and from using products with protein in them for any length of time.

galleth
March 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Yup, I would suggest clarify, then deep-condition too. My ends are crunchy as well these days, I need to follow my own advice! ;) I use SMT for the deep condition, and it does a wonderful job.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

BlackfootHair
March 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
I have crunchy ends as well, but I have old bleach on the ends. I also lack moisture.

Sherri
March 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hello, hairtwin!
The trouble with crunchy ends is that they can have several causes:
Lack of moisture
Too much protein
Buildup
Mechanical/chemical damage
Each of these has different solutions.

Usually the preferred route is to first do a good clarifying wash (get an SLS-based clarifying shampoo, and suds your hair all the way to the ends, maybe twice), followed by protein-less (and usually silicone-less) moisture. I get knotty, velcro-like ends if my hair lacks moisture, and from using products with protein in them for any length of time.

Anje What Kind Of silicone-less moisture?

spidermom
March 2nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
And sometimes those crunchy ends need to be trimmed off. But that's a last resort.

RancheroTheBee
March 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I will second Spidermom's advice. I made a vow not to trim for six months, but two months in, some mechanical damage caught up with me, and I did a dusting. Believe me, every little bit helps.

But before reaching for the scissors, I'd clarify. Bear in mind that I'd clarified, did an SMT, used a rinse, hot oil treatments, blahblahblah, etc. And I sat on the thought for three weeks. And the trimming helped. But you might find a scissor-free solution, so try what you can first.

(PS: Coconut oil can sometimes "sit" on damaged hair, or other buildup, and cause a crunchy feeling to the hair.)

Anje
March 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Anje What Kind Of silicone-less moisture?

I like SMTs, but there are lots of treatments you can do. The main reason I recommend siliconeless is that if buildup is the culprit, it's probably helpful to get some moisture in before starting the buildup process again.

sagebabies
April 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been noticing the last week or so the ends of my hair feel rather crunchy or dry and brittle. I have no split ends and it doesn't seem to look damaged, it just feels rougher in texture.

My hair routine is cwc with CV neem & teatree shampoo bar & Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. I don't brush my hair or comb it when it's wet. I lightly dry my hair with a microfiber hair towel. I have also been using jojoba oil on the ends a few times a week. Once a week on wash day I also apply SMT to my hair an hour or two before I wash.

Anyone have any explanation for crunchy ends? There is no protein in my routine I don't think, so perhaps I need more protein? I feel like I'm doing tons of conditioning......

any ideas?

BlndeInDisguise
April 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I've heard that jojoba oil can make some people's hair crunchy. Is your hair crunchy whether you use it or not?

Also, I've had problems with crunchy hair after doing SMT's. I haven't figured out if it's the honey or the aloe. I guess I should experiment to see which it is.

Something I thought helped with my crunchy ends was adding a little bit of my regular Suave conditioner to some water and using it as a leave in. My ends were softer and less crunchy afterwards.

RancheroTheBee
April 26th, 2009, 11:12 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Well, there's Kirin's Diagnostic article that may answer the question of whether or not you need more protein.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't honey a humectant? I heard something about living in dry climates and having humectants remove moisture from your hair and expell them into the air. Or something.

Anyway, sometimes your hair might just act like a jerk for no reason. It's frustrating, but it happens. I wouldn't panic unless your hair was breaking off.

Nat242
April 26th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Might you need to clarify?

Gypsygirl
April 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Yes, humectants can "backfire"-sometimes they totally dry out my skin.

I get that "crunchiness" sometimes, too. My hair is highlighted so it needs a lot of moisture rather than oils and so on. Sometimes I forget about that and use heavier conditioners, sometimes even silicone ones, and then my ends get crunchy. I usually just try to get them very clean and then drench them in moisture.

By the way, I've tried using oils last week and I think they only work for me if I apply them to damp or even wet hair. Oiling dry hair made my ends kind of crunchy, too.

manderly
April 26th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Oil can cause crunchies. Do you use it on dry hair?

I would suggest you clarify, then try using the jojoba on wet hair for a while :)

Aditi
April 27th, 2009, 12:05 AM

I would suggest you clarify, then try using the jojoba on wet hair for a while :)
Is there a substitute for jojoba oil? I am having this same problem and i don't get jojoba oil in my city.

manderly
April 27th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I use coconut oil in my hair. I wasn't very impressed with jojoba. :)

Aditi
April 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks manderly, i use coconut oil but i apply it to my air-dried hair. This time i will try on wet hair.

Anje
April 27th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Oils (especially on dry hair) can cause crunchiness, as can protein and anything else that might seal moisture out of hair or dry it out. Humectants and silicones are possible culprits.

When it doubt, I'd say the first step is to clarify (I prefer sulfates to baking soda), then moisturize with something that lacks silicones or protein, if they're likely culprits for you. Damp bun afterward.

sagebabies
April 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Might you need to clarify?

Well, I've only clarified once and that was about a month ago.....perhaps I need to again?

sagebabies
April 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Yes, I do use it when my hair is dry. I'll have to experiment and try to use it when it is wet! Thanks for the tip.

sagebabies
April 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Oils (especially on dry hair) can cause crunchiness, as can protein and anything else that might seal moisture out of hair or dry it out. Humectants and silicones are possible culprits.

When it doubt, I'd say the first step is to clarify (I prefer sulfates to baking soda), then moisturize with something that lacks silicones or protein, if they're likely culprits for you. Damp bun afterward.

I think this week I'll try to clarify (need to do some searching to figure out how to do it properly). Any suggestions on what to moisturize with that does not have protein or silicones?

spidermom
April 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I can recommend coconut oil to damp hair - great stuff - scientifically proven to be beneficial to hair. I also leave in some of my regular conditioner and sometimes top that with a little oil and a coney serum, then I get soft and silky hair that a comb just glides through.

Last night I was applying body butter to my feet and lower legs and had too much on my hands so massaged it into the ends of my hair, which feel extraordinarily soft and silky this morning. I wasn't expecting that.

aisling
April 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
As you use shampoo bars, a very mild form of cleansing, oils and the an SMT once a week, I'm very sure clarifying with a clarifying shampoo (or any sulfate shampoo), is what you need. Then you could try cutting down on the SMT for example to once every second week.

pocahonta_s
April 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM
My hair texture is a bit different but I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, my ends kept feeling crunchy and I realised it was the oil I was putting on them. I now wet my hands and run them over my ends in the evening and the morning in between ash days, the apply Fox's shea butter conditioning cream. The shea butter softens my hair and counter-act the "crunchy effect" from the coconut oil.

cocolover
April 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I second trying the Fox shea butter cream. Oils alone on my ends made them crunchy. The fox cream is the only thing I've found that can get my ends anywhere near soft.

Gypsygirl
April 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
May I ask what "fox cream" is? (That's probably a stupid question... :o )

sagebabies
April 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
May I ask what "fox cream" is? (That's probably a stupid question... :o )

here is a link.....i've been meaning to try Fox's treatment but don't have the ingredients yet....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586&highlight=fox%27s+conditioning

Gypsygirl
April 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Oh, thanks so much! :)

Chanteuse87
July 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hi all,
So, I've been pretty good about reading up on things here and trying them out, but some of my hair still insists on being dry and crunchy. I heavily oil at night (coconut or sweet almond) and braid it, I have no history of heat or chemical damage, and I wear it up frequently (5-6 days a week). My one vice is that I wash daily, usually alternating between CO and CWC with a diluted SLS shampoo. I've tried stretching washes, but day two hair is lank, greasy, and dark. However, the ends are still dry, especially at the wavier bits of my hair. I've tried using oils as light leave ins, but then I have dry, coated hair (this applies whether I oil damp or dry).

Do you think a deep treatment would help? Or can you suggest changes to my routine that might help my ends? I haven't noticed a ton of splits, just crunchy ends :( Oh, and I did a strand test in the shower, and it doesn't look like I need a ton of protein or moisture. I'm at a loss!

thankyousir74
July 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM
(wow your hair looks glorious in your siggy) I don't have much advice but I know I'll be watching this thread because if it's something to do with the SLS then I'll take the same advice because my hair has the same crunchy end problems.

Nightshade
July 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I never had luck with oil on my ends, despite trying several kinds.

Perhaps try Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586)after clarifying?

Chanteuse87
July 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Nightshade! I might just do that. It's not a big problem, and my hair still looks all right, it's just a bit frustrating -- and there's definitely a difference in the texture.

Chanteuse87
July 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Aw, thanks thankyousir74 :) I've been wondering if it's the SLS, too. I keep pining away at the CV shampoo bar site! Maybe when I get my financial aid settled for school I'll feel justified in splurging a bit.

ericthegreat
July 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Chanteuse, you should check out the ingredient lists on your conditioners. Check if they contain a high amount of protein. If they do, then your particular hair type may be suffering from an overdose of protein, this is one of the usual culprit to "crunchy feeling" ends. If your conditioners do contain protein, just go out and buy a a conditioner with less protein or none at all. My favorites are White Rain and the entire Suave Naturals line.

Also, it could also be the detergents in your shampoo so perhaps switch to a sulfate free shampoo or be like me and go CO completely.

Whatever the cause, a good deep moisturizing treatment done every week should definitely cure your dry ends.

Dementia1013
July 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Could be that when braided your hair just sucks up all the oil. I was curling my hair every night and found my ends to be in horrid shape. Dry, crispy and brittle. I whipped out the S&D scissors to help with some split ends, but it still felt like Brillo! I heavily oiled with coconut oil then hopped in the shower for a 'no cone' CO. and when I came out (while my hair was still wet. Not DAMP, but wet) I added some more Coconut oil so when it dried, my hair felt like hair again. *whew* Also the following night, instead of oiling and braiding or twisting, I very lightly just rolled up my ends and the next day they were my fabulous ends again. :D

HairColoredHair
July 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
My two culprits for crunchy ends are proteins and overoiling, especially with coconut oil, which holds in protein. :)

I'd maybe clarifying and use a protein-free conditioner to soak it a bit and see if that helps.

RocketDog
July 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Regular honey/conditioner treatments are what help my ends the most. I do just jojoba/coconut oil on the ends after I wash, but that does more to control frizzies than it does to keep crunchiness at bay.

ratgirldjh
July 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
This sounds similar to the problem I've been having. Ever since I hennaed my hair about 2 months ago my ends have been dry and crunchy. I have been oiling them with VCO and they just got worse. I was CO washing with suave tropical coconut and I thought it might be build up so i used baking soda and water on my hair - very weak - 1 teaspoon in 32 ounces of water - and I think it removed the build up - but my hair was fried and stripped and even drier :(

Finally I resorted to using Extra Virgin Olive oil on my hair and it has saved my hair.

What works for me is to wet my hair throughly; towel dry it and then rub EVOO mostly on the ends - but throughout my hair too - and leave it in at least overnight. I put a little lavender EO in the EVOO.

The next day I rinse it well with water first and then shampoo with my poo bar several times til most of the oil is out.

My hair is much happier since I have been doing this.
HTH

Heidi_234
July 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I second the shea butter suggestion. My end is really dry, and the ends are super dry and crunchy always. I smear some shea butter in my hand, add little bit of coconut oil, rub my hand together to mix it up and heat it, apply to my ends and bun for the night. In the morning they are soft :cloud9:

Natalia
July 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Butters work best for me. I put them on before i go to bed either shea or coco that way it can soak in before i have to do anything. My ends always feel better int he morning. It doesnt get rid of it and they are crunchy again my later that night butit lasts long enough to make me happy :). Good luck!

Chanteuse87
July 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Thank you so much, everyone, great suggestions :) My first impulse is to think it may be protein related, so perhaps I'll lay off the VCO for a few days and figure out my conditioner situation. I'll also see if I can lay my hands on any shea butter and give that a try.
I know I lurk more than I post, but everyone here is so wonderful and helpful :crush: I'll report back when I find something that works!

adiapalic
July 8th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I remember having this problem about a year ago. I think it was related to some sort of leave-in conditioner with huge amounts of proteins. At the time, I didn't know and kept slathering it on thinking it would help. Then I realized it wasn't helping, so I did a virgin olive oil deep treatment for a few hours, and the brittleness went away after a few days.

All the comments on here are really helpful :) So excited with how much I learn here :D

Chanteuse87
July 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I did a CWC today with Suave Naturals green apple, and afterwards I left some of the conditioner in and put on a few drops of almond oil (instead of coconut). Already my ends feel quite a bit better, so I'm thinking it was the protein in the coconut oil... I think I'll just mix my coconut oil with shea from now on, and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help!

rogue_psyche
July 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
You might also try braiding your hair for sleeping and putting a dab of conditioner in your braid tassel overnight. I did that last night and it really helped with the crunchy feeling.

Chanteuse87
July 16th, 2009, 06:28 AM
In case anyone was wondering, I found a solution! The tried and true Fox's Shea Butter has made a believer out of me :) This stuff is amazing. My hair has never been so soft, even with cones. It's fabulous!

irreverent
July 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Wow! Thought it was just me! I've been lamenting the crunchy ends for weeks, will try this!:cheese:

Mrs.X
July 31st, 2009, 06:01 AM
I was thinking of trying coconut oil, mostly just because i love the smell, but having had a nose around the forums to see what other people thought of it, it seems that almost everyone who mentions it also says that it gives them crunchy ends? I'm using jojoba oil at the moment which gives me lovely soft ends but something that also has a nice smell would be ideal. Has anyone used it and not found it gives them crunchy ends?

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 06:54 AM
I was thinking of trying coconut oil, mostly just because i love the smell, but having had a nose around the forums to see what other people thought of it, it seems that almost everyone who mentions it also says that it gives them crunchy ends? I'm using jojoba oil at the moment which gives me lovely soft ends but something that also has a nice smell would be ideal. Has anyone used it and not found it gives them crunchy ends?

I've experienced this too. That's why I use it for hold, as it does give my hair a soft, yet defined hold when I use rollers or I braid my hair to make it wavy. It's not too crunchy for me when I mix it with other oils though, which is what I usually do.

Elanor
July 31st, 2009, 07:04 AM
I love virgin coconut oil and it usually gives me nice, soft ends when I use just a tiny amount of it. If I put a bit too much it does give me somewhat crunchy ends, but they don't feel or look dry or anything, they just feel a little hard. Like Vermelha said, it's a great oil for hold and it makes hair feel stronger. And the smell is lovely :inlove:

cockerspaniel9
July 31st, 2009, 07:08 AM
I donīt know if it count, but I use a mix witch contains coconutoil and my ends feels very good. I have used this for a couple of months and I think it works well.

Madame J
July 31st, 2009, 07:20 AM
I used pure, unrefined, virgin coconut oil on my hair, mostly as a pre-oiling, but also occasionally after washing on the ends, and I have never experienced crunchy ends. I think it has to do with your hair's moisture vs. protein balance. Mine seems plenty moist, and never unhappy to eat up either extra moisture or extra protein. And hey, if your ends get crunchy, you can reverse it with clarifying and moisture.

You could also add essential oil or fragrance oil to your jojoba.

Vermelha
July 31st, 2009, 07:22 AM
I used pure, unrefined, virgin coconut oil on my hair, mostly as a pre-oiling, but also occasionally after washing on the ends, and I have never experienced crunchy ends. I think it has to do with your hair's moisture vs. protein balance. Mine seems plenty moist, and never unhappy to eat up either extra moisture or extra protein. And hey, if your ends get crunchy, you can reverse it with clarifying and moisture.

You could also add essential oil or fragrance oil to your jojoba.

I do that too! And I was thinking the same thing about adding the EOs to coconut oil. I've used refined coconut oil on the hair and it still feels great.

Mrs.X
July 31st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Using essential oils is a really good idea madame J, i hadn't thought of that. I think i'll see if i can buy the smallest amount of coconut oil i can find, then even if it doesn't make my hair as soft as jojoba does then i can still use it for hold in updos.

Teacherbear
July 31st, 2009, 07:43 AM
You just need to try it for yourself. Some people LOVE It, others don't. I don't use it because it makes my ends crunchy. I had to experiment for myself though.

tiny_teesha
July 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
You know this might have made my hair crunchy and the remedy was cardamon tea (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26060), sprayed on my ends :)
It stops protein leaving the hair and too much protein = crunch

Madame J
July 31st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Using essential oils is a really good idea madame J, i hadn't thought of that. I think i'll see if i can buy the smallest amount of coconut oil i can find, then even if it doesn't make my hair as soft as jojoba does then i can still use it for hold in updos.

If you get your oil from the cooking section of a natural foods store, you can also eat it. My husband drizzles a little unrefined coconut oil on his cereal every morning to help with digestive problems and because he likes the taste. I had ton convince him to get his own jar, since I stick my fingers in my jar and don't always make sure they're clean first -- he started swiping my coconut oil while I was at a conference!

NurseMama
July 31st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Coconut oil USED to give me terribly crunchy ends. As my hair got healthier and more and more moisturized- the crunch disappeared! My theory is that I was getting the crunch because of the protein that is in coconut oil and not having enough moisture in my hair to combat it.

karli
July 31st, 2009, 04:00 PM
I got rid of my crunchy ends about a month ago. I think I was trying to hard with oils, and clarifying only made it worse.

Someone wrote somewhere that a braid actually can cause the tassle to dry out. So for me it has worked to stop braiding at night, lots and lots of moisture as in smt and continue to co, but with another conditioner that has more oil and glycerol in it. My old conditioner made my hair to clean and dry!

klcqtee
July 31st, 2009, 04:47 PM
My ends get very crunchy sometimes, and I find that loads of coconut oil helps a lot. I grease my head down (to the point of it being stringy) then braid it. I then dip my tassle in the coconut oil. (It's far too hot in my house for coconut oil to be a solid!) I let it soak for just 5 or 10 seconds, then fold the braid under, or put it up into a bun with the ends tucked inside. I wake up in the morning, my hair is not longer horribly greasy, and my ends are soft! The hair is still a bit greasy, and it's definitely an updo day, but I don't look like an otter in an oil slick! Even after I wash my hair, my ends stay a lot softer than they were before the coconut oil.

Hope this works for you as well as it does for me!

mimi1153
July 31st, 2009, 06:32 PM
I also had to stop braiding at night - - since then I have had steady recovery of the 'crunchies'. Another thing that has helped me is condition with Tresemme' (? spelling) conditioner. Seems to be working for me better than the oiling did, I still frequently use a leave-in also.