PDA

View Full Version : Needs Advice to Prevent Itchy Hair

Vapunzel91
March 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Hello,

I have been noticing a trend lately. I usually wash my hair thoroughly once a week, but every time my hair dries I get complaints from my boyfriend that it itches his skin. Around the third day since the weekly wash, he stops complaining and I'm assuming it is from the natural oils in my hair. What I'm curious is if there is something I can use on my hair to prevent it from being itchy without it making my hair look greasy before the next wash?

Do many of you have that issue? Any advice on how to deal with it?

imaroo
March 4th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Hello,

I have been noticing a trend lately. I usually wash my hair thoroughly once a week, but every time my hair dries I get complaints from my boyfriend that it itches his skin. Around the third day since the weekly wash, he stops complaining and I'm assuming it is from the natural oils in my hair. What I'm curious is if there is something I can use on my hair to prevent it from being itchy without it making my hair look greasy before the next wash?

Do many of you have that issue? Any advice on how to deal with it?

Do you mean that it's more floaty and the small strands tickle him? Then after a couple of days it's less floaty, thus less tickly?

If so, I'm also interested in any suggestions, because my husband hates having my floaty hair tickle his face! It is funny to watch him spaz out and rub his face though. :)

minxe
March 4th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Have you tried lightly oiling it when it's wet?

ravenreed
March 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM
My ends get very itchy when I have split ends. They go right through my shirts! That is one reason I trim so regularly. Could that be the problem?

Mandie
March 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I agree with the damp oiling. I usally put about a nickle/quarter sized bit of oil on my palm, rub it around on my palms and then smooth it on the bottom 1/3 of my hair while it's damp. Leaves it smooth and shiny and not oily (and I'm prone to super oily hair).

Vrindi
March 4th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Could your bf have an allergy to an ingredient in your shampoo? There were some shampoos that would make me itch like crazy. If it's the floaty hair thing, I have the same problem. I rub a tiny bit of coconut oil on my palms and rub them down my hair when I see it start to fly away. I also put some on the ends as a leave-in after I wash and I think it helps, although keeping it up is probably the easiest way.

neko_kawaii
March 4th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Does your boyfriend have to watch which products he uses for his own soap, shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent? My husband has skin sensitivities to a lot of common ingredients in those items and I use products that don't disagree with him.

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I agree it's probably an allergic reaction to a product you use.

1nuitblanche
March 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I was also thinking he might be reacting to an ingredient in the products you're using. Maybe you could find out what he uses and switch to that one? Or look for a hypo-allergenic formula (this might be trickier...).

GoldenSilk
March 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
It sounds like an allergy to me, maybe to one of the scent compounds in a product you use, which would evaporate slowly over a few days.

Another thing I thought of, though, is maybe your hair's cuticle is roughed up from washing, and feels scratchy when rubbed the wrong way? My hair does that after I use clarifying shampoo. If so, you could try an acidic rinse (like diluted vinegar or citric acid) after washing to make the cuticle lie down more.

embee
March 4th, 2013, 11:44 AM
To me it sounds like "floaty". I personally have this problem, which is one reason I really like long hair - I can wear it up and the floaty stuff is mostly tied back. It's also why I like WO or NW/SO - my natural oils tame the floaty stuff. Little hairs tickling my face drive me *nuts* - scratch, rub, itch. :( Crazy-making!

Before you change products, try the oil thing recommended above and see if it helps.

minxe
March 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Adding on to my previous suggestion- maybe go over your hair with a BBB after it dries. That would help distribute the oils and tame the floaties.

Cania
March 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM
My hair sometimes itches me, and I have no allergies, so I don't think he's allergic to your products.
Mine has done it since puberty, at any length.
Is your hair particularly coarse? Mine can be (it's a bit of a mix, some regular hairs and some extremely coarse, wiry ones) and the very flat, neatly trimmed ends seemed a bit abrasive against the skin. It is worst when my ends are dry, though, so I second all the above suggestions about oiling/BBB. I've just started catnip and noticed softer ends, so you might want to add that to your list of potentials too. Or maybe that hairbutter recipe that's floating around LHC.. Kimberlilly's, I think? Or a similar name. I think I have it saved somewhere..