PDA

View Full Version : What is your magic length?

CJCHair-stylist
March 4th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Hi folks, I was just wondering (forgive me if there is already a thread)....

I have just gotten to a point with my hair now where I can finally do the braids and things I`ve always wanted to do with my hair - it is nearly at waist and growing :-)

I can finally do a ponytail that doesn`t look pathetic and a rose bun that looks like a rose. I can do french braids that don`t fall out now. I am so proud of my length right now.

So what is the consensus here from everyone as to what their favourite length is?

Can`t wait to hear your thoughts.

Bambi
March 4th, 2013, 05:11 AM
First of all I'm so happy for you to have reached a length that you're proud of:). Well when I first joined LHC my goal was(and still is) to have waist-length hair. At the moment my hair is BSL and I feel quite content because now I know it will only get "better".
To get to the point I must confess that after my time spent here the thought of hip is actually very alluring;)....

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2013, 05:15 AM
My hair goal is tail bone length. I'm happy with it at this length.

Iolanthe13
March 4th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I'm feeling pretty good about my waist-length hair these days too :) My buns stay in place better (and I can switch them up more), my braids look rather long, and I'm finally able to braid with more than three strands. And when my hair is down, it looks really nice! But I still want to grow it to hip, or possibly longer.

lapushka
March 4th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I don't quite think I've reached that length yet. A lot of updos are still beyond reach because of my thickness, so yeah, I'll keep growing, I guess. :D

Micayla47
March 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM
as i've said in other threads, "long" hair BEGINS at waist. anything shorter than waist is "medium" in my opinion. so, that's my first goal. i'm hoping to be solid waist by the end of 2013. :cheese:

lunalocks
March 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I have to say the THIS length is my favorite so far, just where I am now, 36 inches, about 3 to 4 inches below waist. It WAS at waist that I began to feel my hair was actually getting long and I could do the buns, as you mentioned, and not feel that they were pathetic. However, I am loving this length and plan to see how long it can grow. Have to say I am running into a lot more splits than ever before (I S and D regularly) and I've had to increase my TLC (wear it up most of the time, CWC, S and D more often) so it is more trouble. All that started at waist. I think it would be easier to just maintain at waist and regularly trim to keep ends in shape. We'll see.

CJCHair-stylist
March 4th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your all your comments so far :-)

leslissocool
March 4th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Hip going to TB after a big chop to take layers out. My magic length so far is been Tailbone, my ultimate goal is knee. I'm short, I hope I can do this. My grandmother had knee length hair, I hope I have her genes!

I started wanting to grow to tailbone, my goals keep on changing :lol:.

bunzfan
March 4th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Cant say as i'm not there yet thinking it will be TB:cool:

Shepherdess
March 4th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I'm glad you are enjoying your length!

The length where I could do hairstyles the easiest was probably hip length to classic length (I can't remember exactly). Now at mid-thigh it's kind of a bit more difficult for me to do certain hairstyles (like french braid or anything that requires more time and strain on my arms). My goal though is to have a long traditional braid that I can sit on and wrap around my head more than once (if my hair will grow that long!). I love long braids, so that's my only goal pretty much. :)

spidermom
March 4th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Classic length. I wish I could get there (and beyond) without my ends drying out and splitting in all directions. I've been between hip and tailbone for most of the last 3-4 years because of that.

rowie
March 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
My magic goal is classic length. Although I think real magic begins when you can do this to your hair:magic::

http://youtu.be/_2t0IMASesI

If I want to do this on my hair, I'd have to grow knee+ length cause I'm 5'11. It just only shows you that the more length you have the more magical fancy updos you can do. :)

torrilin
March 4th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I don't know what the best length is for me. I know where my hair stops being too short (somewhere past waist). But not too short is a pretty different thing from what you're talking about.

GoldenSilk
March 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I am growing my hair back to tailbone length, like it was when I was 18. I have a curvy, hourglass figure, and I feel like tailbone will hit me in a better place than classic. I do love both, though.

Of course, I have discovered fancy buns and braids this time around (thanks LHC!), so tailbone will be long enough to do almost any style, even once my thickness comes back from stress and health-related sheds.

Sharysa
March 4th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Magic length will probably start at waist-length (and my potential goal is classic-length), seeing as my hair is so damn thick and coarse that I can't do crown braids or any of the neat buns yet.

But I AM very happy that my braids look awesome, and I can already do up to five-strand braids if I have the patience of a saint that day. :P

floralgem
March 4th, 2013, 02:26 PM
For me, waist is when I'm finally going to feel like I have long hair (It's close to BSL ATM.) But the ultimate dream goal would be classic/ knee.

chen bao jun
March 4th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I don't know because the longest I've ever been is bra strap. All I know is that the longer it gets, the better I like it.
I sort of think it would be nice if I could get to waist length--I'd love a waist length plait.
I never have trouble putting my hair up because its both thick and curly--although I have what everyone on this forum seems to think is 'short' hair right now (about APL) it goes up and stays up easily and there are lots of hairstyles to do with it. I do a lot of things with french braids. I don't even need hair pins for my hair to stay up a lot of the time, actually. I expect this will keep being the case.

Vrindi
March 4th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Right now I'm at hip, and loving it. My goal is tailbone, but when I wear a paranda in my braid, it comes to classic, and there's something about that length that feels like my hair is "meant" to be that long. Still, I plan on getting to tailbone and staying there for probably a year to let some of the (minor) taper grow out and thicken the hemline. Then, I may or may not go to classic. But right now, I'm starting to feel that my hair is a great length, and is only getting better.

kallarina
March 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM
My magic length would be my current length. Tailbone. Up until now, it still felt short, and I would get frustrated easily. Then, one day, I realized that I was having better than a good hair day. I was having a great hair day! It went up easily, it looked great down, it FINALLY felt long. And I've been having those days ever since, most days. It took me about a month to realize that I was finally happy with the length and that it was a good length for me, and that's why I was loving it so much. I just hope classic feels this good.

LadyKate
March 4th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I'm a little shy of tailbone, when I do paranda braids they hit me between classic and knee, and that feels about right to me. It's currently the longest it's ever been though, so hopefully I can get there.

Natalia
March 4th, 2013, 11:06 PM
For me i think it is classic. With fine thin hair the more of it i have the more loops i can do and the bigger buns i can get. When i trimmed back to TB i found i cant do several of the fun buns id been experimenting with.

CurlyCap
March 4th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Hip, when stretched. Before that, it's too short when curly to put up in a neat updo. I'm stuck with pseudo-cinnabuns. Longer, and I have to get inventive with styles that look good with curly updos and still professional. It's a fine balance.

I've never grown to classic curly. I'll see as I grow, but I suspect that when I get to hip curly, that'll be just about all the hair I can manage.

ghost
March 5th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Tailbone is the best (and longest) that I've had so far! Rose buns are one of my favorite simple hairstyles, and I had a really pretty rose bun at TBL.

Quixii
March 5th, 2013, 12:58 AM
I think classic has been my favourite/magic length so far. Before then it felt short, and now that it's longer than that it almost feels too long. Not in a "I want to cut it" way, but meaning that I have to actually consider the length of my hair more carefully because if I want to leave it down or in a ponytail it'll get in the way more. Also one of my favourite updos my hair now looks just a couple inches too long for.
But I'm determined to get to knee. :) But I'm glad to know I can cut back to classic at some point and still be happy with it (I think).

CJCHair-stylist
March 5th, 2013, 04:54 AM
I`m really enjoying your comments thus far - makes me want my hair longer and longer especially after watching that video. We`ll see....

woolyleprechaun
March 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Well, this length (grazing waist) is by far the most magical I have had so far. Its hanging much better than any stage before this. However, its pretty thick and weirdly wavy, so quite a few updos are still beyond me. I can do an adaption of the lazy wrap bun and I'm happy about that, but the more extravagent styles are a few inches away, probably hip. I do get a tad jealous of the thinner haired, especialy when I hear of APL people achieving buns I can only dream of ;)
So I think that hip will be my magical length :)

nobeltonya
March 5th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I think for me, anything after like waist or so, because I've never had my hair long before. :) So any length I'm attaining now and hereafter is new to me. And I can do some pretty nifty things with my hair. :disco:

Cowgirl16
March 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM
So far I think Classic has been my "magical" length. My hair finally felt "long" at Classic. I'm at knee now and there are some styles that my hair does not want to cooperate with. I'll keep growing....

fauxyeti
March 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I'd like hip-length hair!

gossamer
March 5th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I`m really enjoying your comments thus far - makes me want my hair longer and longer especially after watching that video. We`ll see....

As the maker of that video, I'm flattered I've been able to inspire you.

My magic goal is classic length. Although I think real magic begins when you can do this to your hair:magic::

If I want to do this on my hair, I'd have to grow knee+ length cause I'm 5'11. It just only shows you that the more length you have the more magical fancy updos you can do. :)

I'm 5"5' and my hair was just a little past knee when I made this video. Not sure why you'll need to go longer (considering your extra 6" in height) than me to do the same style...

rowie
March 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I'm 5"5' and my hair was just a little past knee when I made this video. Not sure why you'll need to go longer (considering your extra 6" in height) than me to do the same style...

Sadly I have really thick coarse type iii hair and so I'm estimating I probably have to grow longer than what a person can accomplish at shorter lengths. For example, it was only at BSL + that I am able to do a nautilus or pencil bun, whereas my friends were able to do this at shoulder+ and APL lengths. Hopefully, I'll have the patience to grow my hair out like you. It sure helps though to ignore my hair and just admire everyone's hair instead. :)

SoulOfTheSea
March 5th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I think hip is my magic length because I finally feel like I have long hair, but it isn't too long where it gets drastically difficult to take care of. I can also curl it without losing too much length. I also love it when my hair dries a little straighter, that way I can have it up in a high ponytail and have it swoosh around everywhere I walk. :D It makes me feel really feminine.

dollyfish
March 5th, 2013, 07:19 PM
My "magic" length has always been waist, which is why it's my goal! But I've never had waist-length hair before, so I don't know how I'll feel about it when it's actually that long. Maybe I'll want to grow longer. Maybe I'll decide I like it shorter. Maybe it really will feel "perfect" ;)

WaitingSoLong
March 6th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Between waist and hip, I can do any updo and it is "long".

rowie
March 6th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Between waist and hip, I can do any updo and it is "long".

even gossamer's helix bun?

WaitingSoLong
March 6th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I have never tried that bun. I guess I should have said most...since I haven't tried some.

PolarCathy
March 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM
That video is SIIIIICK

Just watched it :thudpile: :thudpile:

millyaulait
March 6th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I haven't reached the magic length for me yet. I'm hoping it will be waist, which is my next length & possibly my final, too.

The problem is that I have layers. I have a feeling I would be able to do a lot more at BSL right now if I didn't have these pesky layers. :\

WaitingSoLong
March 6th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Ok I just did her helix bun. It looks terrible in my hair due to lack of thickness. I had lots of extra length, too, so yes, I would be able to do this at waist. The advantage of thin hair I guess.
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC02022600x800_zps6ed20b67.jpg

Long_hair_bear
March 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Knee length here.... I might stop there......

rowie
March 6th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Ok I just did her helix bun. It looks terrible in my hair due to lack of thickness. I had lots of extra length, too, so yes, I would be able to do this at waist. The advantage of thin hair I guess.
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC02022600x800_zps6ed20b67.jpg

Well, i'm impressed. Yes you are so lucky with your thin hair having the ability to do "most" or maybe all types of buns. Here I am still struggling to even get my nautilus or even a pencil bun up. hehehe :p It also probably helps that you have silky straight hair to die for! :blossom:

alexis917
March 6th, 2013, 02:59 PM
To be honest, I just finally want to reach waist! When I pull my waves straight so there's no little shrinkage, I'm almost below my boobs.
A little more to go! I'm also hoping to grow my layers out more, because when I braid my hair it involves tons of clips/pins.

WaitingSoLong
March 6th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Aww thanks rowie! :flower:

But I will never have big buns. LOL. So that is a drawback of this hair type.

Elithia
March 6th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I'm around tailbone and that's the longest I've ever grown, so I can't speak for classic etc., but this feels more magic than any other length so far. I'm not TB curly (TB straight, upper hip curly), but it's making a huge difference in the variety of buns I can pull off with my thick hair. 4 months ago I couldn't even do a Chinese bun. Now I can. It's awesome.

CJCHair-stylist
March 7th, 2013, 07:52 AM
The helix bun is amazing - I think I`ll manage that if I manage to get to hip. Hip sounds lovely to me, but the prospect of having my hair just below waist is as exciting to me! Thanks again for all your comments so far :-)

kouran
March 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I think my favourite length was waist lenght, maybe a bit past that, since I could use my hair loose, which is really becoming on me, and I could show everybody how beautiful my hair was, I received lots of compliments as well...;)

Sure I like having my hair past classic length, it's 'magical', but I rarely get to wear my hair down (but when I do, it sure is a head turner!)