PDA

View Full Version : MPB?

Monkey962
March 3rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
I hate to even admit it, but I fear I'm going bald. My hair's been getting just the tiniest bit thinner over the past year or so, and my hairline above my left temple doesn't feel as robust as it used to. Additionally, my scalp at the crown feels odd, but it doesn't feel like there's any less follicle density. My temple feels odd in the same way. Recently I've addressed my sebhorreic dermatitis by using T/Gel, which I've read is a DHT blocker. Either way, it's made my scalp feel much better, along with the scalp massages I've been giving myself. Interestingly, as a result of these things, I've been shedding the least I have in years. Alas, my hair still seems to be thinning, albeit slowly. So my questions are as follows: Should I give up on having long hair soon? It's something I take a lot of pride in, and it brings me a lot of happiness. I'd be very sad to see it go. Also, should I try Rogaine? Are there any downsides to using it? I'm also considering trying saw palmetto, as it seems to act similarly to finasteride (propecia). However, both of these things can possibly shrink the prostate, which can be bad in the case of detecting prostate cancer. I'm also concerned if there's any other downsides to using either of those things. I suppose I could call my dermatologist. Help, please!

Falcore
March 4th, 2013, 01:35 AM
I definitely wouldn't give up on long hair any time soon, especially as you say your hair has only been the tiniest bit thinner. A lot of people's hair fluctuates with the thickness/thinness. I don't know much about Rogaine, but I have heard you need to keep using it or your hair goes back to how is was. I would check out some reviews online as well to get an idea on it as well. Good Luck and don't give up.

Anje
March 4th, 2013, 09:49 AM
My husband's been using Rogaine for a while on his hair. He's more thinning and receding than following the standard MPB pattern that Rogaine says it works on, but it definitely has made a difference in his hair. He's been using a generic liquid, which seems to work well enough.

One advantage to the Rogaine is that it's topical, whereas saw palmetto is definitely going to affect your whole system.

A few considerations...
(1) Rogaine/Minoxidil works partly by increasing circulation to the parts of the scalp it contacts. This can mean it's slightly irritating to some people. When it occasionally drips down his forehead, you can actually see a little reddened trail where the drop went. That said, he doesn't complain that it's uncomfortable.
(2) Rogaine is intensely poisonous to cats. If you have ones that lick your head, you might want to avoid it. Otherwise, make sure you wash up after application and don't leave puddles of it lying around or anything. And don't put it on your cat's bald spots (duh, but that's how people found out that it's particularly toxic to them).

Monkey962
March 9th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Thank you, Falcore. And Anje, does your husband use it all over his scalp? I actually picked up an off-brand bottle of Rogaine and it seems to warn against using it for a receding hairline. I would like something that is topical and more effective than T/Gel and scalp massages but less drastic than something like propecia or saw palmetto which interacts with one's hormones. Rogaine seems to fit the bill, though its warning labels scare me.