PDA

View Full Version : I'm in total shock. How did this happen?

geosangel
March 3rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
I have had some major growth in the last year, and had hubby take a pic from the back to note the difference. When I saw it, I was almost in tears. It seems my hair in the back right in the middle is extremely thin and almost non existent compared to either side which is full and healthy. It looks like breakage up the length a good six inches. Now I have been in nursing school where it is mandatory to have the hair up off the collar every single day. That being said, I've taken great care to not pull it too hard, I use no product on it, and even made my own scuncy's out of diabetic fuzzy sox to protect it. I vary the way I put it up, sometimes using a fork, sometimes in braids, etc. What did I do? is it just the effect of having it up daily? I'm totally bummed not to mention embarrassed, because from the front/sides I thought it was looking really healthy and great. :-(

Syaoransbear
March 3rd, 2013, 08:19 PM
How do you sleep? Are you maybe rubbing the back of your head on a pillow too much at night?

geosangel
March 3rd, 2013, 08:24 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2969&d=1362367186 its hard to tell in this pic..I have a silk pillowcase to help stop this and splits..hubby reccomended a hair snood like bikers wear for when I sleep. I don't know if that would help or hurt. I don't want to pull it up anymore, I'm afraid it will break even more if I do. He also asked if I got the "hot bun" kit as seen on tv if that would stop it. I don't know. I just know I'm pretty dismayed and at a loss as to how to stop this.

RedJen
March 3rd, 2013, 08:54 PM
You could also try a Sleep Pretty cap (or something similar.) I've read that it's a good idea for people with fragile hair to use both a cap and a silk/satin pillowcase. I always slept in a braid and I think I ended up causing some damage.

animetor7
March 3rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
Do you braid/bun tightly when you wear your hair up? If so that could cause shedding and so bunning/braiding more loosely might help. Also depending on your hair type a protein treatment might do the trick to strengthen your hair.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2013, 09:55 PM
It may just be the way that your hair grows. Every hair on your head has its own time table of how long to grow then shed. I've seen people who could grow really long on one side of the head. Or one side grows a lot faster.

I hope your issue is fixable; I really do. But it could be "the way it is" and you'll have to learn to live with it. Trimming regularly might help hold other hairs back so that the hairs in question have a chance to catch up (assuming the problem is slower growth and not breakage).

kidari
March 3rd, 2013, 10:13 PM
It may just be the way that your hair grows. Every hair on your head has its own time table of how long to grow then shed. I've seen people who could grow really long on one side of the head. Or one side grows a lot faster.

I hope your issue is fixable; I really do. But it could be "the way it is" and you'll have to learn to live with it. Trimming regularly might help hold other hairs back so that the hairs in question have a chance to catch up (assuming the problem is slower growth and not breakage).

I agree... has it been a long time since you trimmed? If it's been about a year then that is most likely the culprit.

sunshine-locks
March 4th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Could it possibly be damage from hair dye?

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2013, 05:26 AM
It could be natural growth the way your hair grows.

mzBANGBANG
March 4th, 2013, 05:50 AM
make sure you take a couple photos. Sometimes the way your hair looks in one photo is because it is laying funny.

bunzfan
March 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM
make sure you take a couple photos. Sometimes the way your hair looks in one photo is because it is laying funny.

This is so true, the amount of times i've chopped a few inches thinking it was thinning but, in reality it was the lighting or the color top i had on.

geosangel
March 4th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies. My husband took two pics, one that I posted here, another with my back bare so I could really tell what if any problem it was and if it was the way it was laying at the time. It actually looked worse, and it is breakage. I have my hair dusted every 10 weeks, and had 1/2 inch taken off this last time to even it up in the back, as I had an M shaped hair line. I do have to keep it in a tight bun (which means twisting it relentlessly) every day for school. I believe that is the culprit. Seeing as how I have 37 days left and no more clinical days, I'm trying to keep it down. I have tried the sleep caps but for some reason I seem to take them off in the night unknowingly. I don't use dyes, but do henna and indigo, and herbal washes. I also take msm and biotin. I used to use coconut oil but had a rough go with many splits and so stopped using it. I'm going to try the hair down as much as possible and see if that helps (I pray it does.).

SpinDance
March 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM
One thing you mention in your post rang a warning bell for me: "scuncy's out of diabetic fuzzy sox". This doesn't sound very hair friendly. Anything fuzzy can cause abrasion and may be contributing to your breakage. Also, you say that you have to twist your hair tightly to bun it up. Tight and twisted don't sound good, either. Perhaps another sort of updo would work better for your hair at this length, or a different way of holding it. What kind of buns are you doing?

Panth
March 4th, 2013, 02:16 PM
At that length you should be able to do a braided bun. If you braid then bun you should be able to make something that stays firm all day without needing to be horrifically tightly twisted. Spin pins may help. Extra bonus if you can do the braid/bun without a ponytail to start it.

This is what I do for work.

(I also agree about the fuzzy scrunchies.)

lapushka
March 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I agree... has it been a long time since you trimmed? If it's been about a year then that is most likely the culprit.

I fully agree. That's three of us thinking the same thing. It might indeed be slower growth, I'm guessing it is. Microtrimming should solve it long-term, but it's going to take quite a while for the other hairs to catch up. Be patient, keep it bunned or braided (not tightly).

AgnesONutter
March 4th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I've never had to twist my hair all that much to make it stay up. The trick is just to use the right tools to secure it. A large clip (like a ficcare) is wonderful for loose, stay-in-place all day styles. Or a multi-prong fork.

geosangel
March 4th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks :) I will have to spend some time you-tubing how to do a bun without twisting. Even with a clip I find myself twisting my hair then spiraling it around itself to hold it in place. The fuzzy socks were made of microfiber, although I never thought about them being abrasive, so a good point! As silly as it sounds, I was never taught (nor bothered to learn) as a girl how to do anything with my hair so even a normal braid is a challenge for me. (super embarrassing) but being honest. I think its a mental thing with me that I sort of need to feel my hair tight in order for it to feel like it will stay in place when up, so it will take some getting used to for a loose feel. I have a multi prong fork, but again, always just twisted my hair tight and wove the fork into it to stay. I will be looking at some videos to see other ways.

spirals
March 4th, 2013, 11:01 PM
There's a way to make an orchid bun using a stick. You don't need to twist it first.

woolyleprechaun
March 5th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Could it be brush damage? I agree with the others about the fuzzy scrunchy- doesn't sound good!
As for your updos, how about a nice dutch or french braid? You could tuck the end under or clip it on top. What I used to do at your length is do a dutch braid off centre, get the 'free' part of the braid and fold it up the side of the 'dutch' bit attached to my head. I would then secure it with scunchi no damage mini claw clips. It looks formal, holds like a dream and has no twisting involved :)

henné
March 5th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks :) I will have to spend some time you-tubing how to do a bun without twisting. Even with a clip I find myself twisting my hair then spiraling it around itself to hold it in place. The fuzzy socks were made of microfiber, although I never thought about them being abrasive, so a good point! As silly as it sounds, I was never taught (nor bothered to learn) as a girl how to do anything with my hair so even a normal braid is a challenge for me. (super embarrassing) but being honest. I think its a mental thing with me that I sort of need to feel my hair tight in order for it to feel like it will stay in place when up, so it will take some getting used to for a loose feel. I have a multi prong fork, but again, always just twisted my hair tight and wove the fork into it to stay. I will be looking at some videos to see other ways.

You're not alone sweetheart. I was also taught absolutely nothing about hair care, hairdos, etc. and had to figure it all out for myself just before reaching 30 years of age :rollin: No reason to feel embarrassed, really. I also thought one had to pull their hair really tight to keep it up and I did it that way until I got a great fork, which helped me make a stable bun without pulling all of my hair out in the process :D Perhaps experiment a little and you will eventually find something that works. Sometimes, it might also be a mental thing - like you said - that it has to feel tight and if it doesn't, you expect the hairdo to fall apart. I also had to get used to the 'loose' feeling before I realized that it really doesn't have to be tight to stay put :)

Good luck!!! :blossom:

One more thing that occurred to me ... some people swear that their hair needs cones. It is possible that yours does too. Maybe try using coney conditioners for a while and see how it goes. Cones are not evil - at least not for every head of hair. I use them from time to time too.

henné
March 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Could it be brush damage? I agree with the others about the fuzzy scrunchy- doesn't sound good!
As for your updos, how about a nice dutch or french braid? You could tuck the end under or clip it on top. What I used to do at your length is do a dutch braid off centre, get the 'free' part of the braid and fold it up the side of the 'dutch' bit attached to my head. I would then secure it with scunchi no damage mini claw clips. It looks formal, holds like a dream and has no twisting involved :)

Great idea!

animetor7
March 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Also geosangel please do update and let us know if the situation has resolved itself.

Vintagecoilylocks
March 20th, 2013, 08:38 AM
That is what had plagued me for years. I finally realized some things. It was my most delicalte hair and its prone to being dryer. Baby it keep it moistured heavily. If you don't use oil try some. Also we don't realize how we comb is often a culprit. I discovered that I always started combing in that area and was dragging the comb sideways out of my hair. I too had to wear my hair up for work and it was how I handled my hair. Stop and pay attention to your every move and your products. Even washing in the shower and the force of the water hitting in that area more then the rest of your head. Try a very moisturizing leave in in that area and then seal it. But don't worry it can recover.