PDA

View Full Version : Please help me!

Callque
March 3rd, 2013, 02:27 PM
My MIL has been asking me for hair advice lately, but there's one thing I'm not sure how to help her with. She has a ton of very tiny white flakes in her hair (like 1/4-1/2 the size of a pencil eraser).

She says that her hair stylist told her she shouldn't use dandruff shampoo because it will fade her (very expensive) hair dye and highlights. She also said she couldn't use a shampoo for dry scalps because it will make her scalp too greasy and she only likes to wash it once a week.

What should I tell her to try? She says this normally gets bad during the winter and it doesn't itch so I'm assuming it's dry scalp.

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
I'd tell her to use a little mineral oil if that doesn't help she might have to stop coloring her hair. The dye might be the culpurt.

Shebelina
March 3rd, 2013, 03:45 PM
I had a dry, flaky, scalp, and I only wash my hair once a week. Cutting sulphates out of my routine worked to get rid of it entirely. I hope this helps.

leilasahhar
March 3rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
I use a mist for my roots cause I have or had very dry scalp..its called Redwood Roots its amazing stuff :)

Mandie
March 3rd, 2013, 06:57 PM
Dandruff is often due to an oily scalp, not a dry scalp. My father cured his with tea tree oil. He applied it after his showers I believe, just rubbed a bit into his scalp.

Naiadryade
March 3rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Oiling my scalp has pretty much cured my dry scalp, flakes and itchiness. I use a mix of castor oil, almond oil, jojoba oil and 6 essential oils. I believe this helps by 1, moisturizing my dry scalp, and 2, the castor oil and some of the essential oils kill any bacteria or fungus on the scalp that may be causing it. I massage one drop at a time, spread over the fingers of both hands, into my scalp, repeating until my whole scalp is oiled. I do this every 1-2 nights. It absorbs into my hair and scalp a lot while I sleep, so the first couple of oilings after a wash aren't noticable in the morning.

I only wash once a week as well. I have dry hair and scalp, so in addition to the scalp oil, I also use an olive/rice bran/essential oils mix on the ends every day and the length every couple of days or so. With all this, my hair usually starts to look kind of greasy around day 4 or 5, but I just put it up and/or use it as an opportunity to play with heat-free curls, on which the oiliness looks more like shine.

In the past, I've used ACV to control dandruff with success. I infused it with various herbs that helped my hair and scalp, some of which are themselves supposed to be good for dandruff--I can't recall which at the moment, but you can just google herbs for dandruff. ACV is particularly good for dandruff caused by fungus (which is the cause of many cases of dandruff), as it kills the fungus. At the time I used it straight, spooned onto my scalp. This was very effective, but it was before LHC and I now think diluting it would be less drying and probably just as effective. I soaked my scalp in it, then let it sit on my head for as long as I could. At least an hour. Then rinse it out.