PDA

View Full Version : Sulfur for hair growth

rock007junkie
March 2nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
I know a lot of us here use MSM supplements to aid with growth. I just saw on YouTube a whole bunch of women using sublimed sulfur powder mixed with their oils to aid with growth and it seems to work for them I(at least the ones I saw).
Do any of you ladies use this? Any results? Do you have any specific recipies for it?

EndlessSunshine
March 2nd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Probably would be better to eat sulfer foods. Eating I feel I always better then applying if you want growth. Foods like beans, onions, garlic, kale, wheat germ, and eggs. All good sources of sulfer. Make a bowl of chili. Lol

PolarCathy
March 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
There are a lot of threads about topically used onions, and also a product called Shapley's MTG that has sulfur in it. I couldn't find the thread now where they discussed how to add (and how much) sublimed sulfur to hair oils but yes there have been people on LHC experimenting with it, do an advanced search maybe. Even I tried (the sublimed sulfur thing) but it did nothing for me.

curlymarcia
March 2nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
I added chopped onion to my shampoo and I had have amazing results (and my hair is curly!!). Many people have noticed my hair growth, but nobody knows about the onion trick. For me, is the best thing I ever tried. I have tried aloe vera and also honey in my shampoo, but are not as good the onion.

EndlessSunshine
March 2nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Queene Helene has a garlic shampoo but I think it has SLS in it.

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
I almost bought sulphur shampoo but was afraid to.

sakuraemily
March 2nd, 2013, 11:10 PM
Hair needs sulphur seeing as how its keratin is held by disulphide bonds. Topical application will help only if it is applied on the scalp.
Its better to consume a lot of sulphur.

rock007junkie
March 3rd, 2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks ladies. I do consume a lot of sulphur rich foods. Was just wondering if some of you had experimented with it topically and what your results were. I did a search hoping to find a thread on it but didn't have much luck.

rock007junkie
March 4th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I added chopped onion to my shampoo and I had have amazing results (and my hair is curly!!). Many people have noticed my hair growth, but nobody knows about the onion trick. For me, is the best thing I ever tried. I have tried aloe vera and also honey in my shampoo, but are not as good the onion.

I am interesting in hearing more about how you did this. Would like to give it a try

renia22
March 5th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I have tried this sulfur growth serum before:

http://www.beemineproducts.com/products/Mango-Serum-2-oz.html

Luckily I got the trial size & not the large one, because I didn't like it (I don't do well with scalp oils but also I think I had a reaction to the sulfur), but it looks like a lot of people really like it, since the reviews are pretty good.

rock007junkie
March 7th, 2013, 03:14 PM

Luckily I got the trial size & not the large one, because I didn't like it (I don't do well with scalp oils but also I think I had a reaction to the sulfur), but it looks like a lot of people really like it, since the reviews are pretty good.

Thanks. I haven't seen this before.

catamonica
March 8th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I put chopped onion in my conditioner. It made my hair thicker. Have to try it in the shampoo.

rock007junkie
March 10th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I put chopped onion in my conditioner. It made my hair thicker. Have to try it in the shampoo.

Does the onion smell go away when you put it in the conditioner?

Purdy Bear
March 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM
In research with Alopecia, onion juice applied to the scalp has shown some hair regrowth.

woolyleprechaun
March 10th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I'm scared of trying the onion thing; surely that smells of onion? :)
I'm currently putting MSM powder in my rooibos tea scalp lotion. I wouldn't really know if its the topical application working or the supplements, but either way, growth is growth!

rock007junkie
March 10th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I bought some sublimed sulfur. I'll be adding it to my oil mix for my scalp and report back.

SunRae
March 11th, 2013, 06:12 AM
I used to live in a town that had a lot of sulphur in the water. The whole town was stinky, and you didn't want to drink the tap water. The two years that I lived there, bathing in that sulphur water, I had incredible hair growth - it was awesome.

Indigostreams
March 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM

Thanks for mentioning this serum. I jumped right on it and ordered some. I'll update on whether I see results.

rock007junkie
March 18th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I forgot to update. Last Thursday I oiled my scalp with my oil/sulfur mix. I got THE worst headache that day. Don't know if I put too much sulfur or if it was just a result of something else. I remember when I first tried mustard oil by itself the same thing happened and then it went away so I'll give this mix a couple of more tries before I dismiss it altogether.

Indigostreams
March 18th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I forgot to update. Last Thursday I oiled my scalp with my oil/sulfur mix. I got THE worst headache that day. Don't know if I put too much sulfur or if it was just a result of something else. I remember when I first tried mustard oil by itself the same thing happened and then it went away so I'll give this mix a couple of more tries before I dismiss it altogether.
I just got my beemine mango sulfur growth serum on Friday. I put it on my scalp, and massaged it in well for a few minutes. Man, does this stuff stink!:poot: And I think the mango scent almost makes it worse! The smell makes me slightly nauseous. Maybe that's why you're getting a headache? Regardless of the smell, I am determined to get my hair to shoulder length fast, and to see if this stuff really works, so I'll keep applying it for now. I think I will apply it every other night for at least a month and see what happens.

Indigostreams
March 18th, 2013, 07:47 PM
The mango scent reminds me of the smell of a 5 hour energy :P

Indigostreams
March 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Ok, so I guess I'm not as determined as I said I was. I couldn't even sleep last night because of the sulfur smell in my hair. And I CO washed my hair 2 times this morning, and could still smell it. I just can't do it anymore. So I am quitting the topical sulfur thang. I will continue to take MSM though. I look forward to hearing other possible success stories from applying sulfur though.

Goodwyfe
March 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I am intolerant of sulfur taken internally, so I generally avoid it in my diet. Is it possible that my hair grows more slowly than it would otherwise? I wonder if putting it on my head would give me results and/or allergic symptoms.

rock007junkie
March 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I will experiment with this a little further. I have the oil/sulfur mix on my head right now. As I suspected I just needed some time to build up a tolerance for it. No headache today.

curly girl fla
March 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I've been using Liquid Gold Hair Growth Oil (http://www.liquidgoldhairproducts.com/product/liquid-gold-hair-growth-oil-sulfur-based-4oz) for a few days now, and the smell is very insignificant imo...i like it so far, and they shipped so quickly. I also am using the Whipped Ginger Cream Daily Moisturizer (http://www.liquidgoldhairproducts.com/product/whipped-ginger-cream-daily-hair-moisturizer) which I really love, especially after washing with Ayurvedic herbs which can be drying. Nice products...I used one of the Afroveda sulfur-containing oils years ago, and got wonderful results, so I'm all for topical sulfur products as long as they don't smell strong.

rock007junkie
March 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I've been using Liquid Gold Hair Growth Oil (http://www.liquidgoldhairproducts.com/product/liquid-gold-hair-growth-oil-sulfur-based-4oz) for a few days now, and the smell is very insignificant imo...i like it so far, and they shipped so quickly. I also am using the Whipped Ginger Cream Daily Moisturizer (http://www.liquidgoldhairproducts.com/product/whipped-ginger-cream-daily-hair-moisturizer) which I really love, especially after washing with Ayurvedic herbs which can be drying. Nice products...I used one of the Afroveda sulfur-containing oils years ago, and got wonderful results, so I'm all for topical sulfur products as long as they don't smell strong.

I read some reviews about the liquid hair gold and was tempted to try. Since I had most of the ingredients I just decided to make my own. The sulfur smell really isn't all that bad in my opinion.

Buddaphlyy
March 23rd, 2013, 11:12 PM
There is a lady on LHCF who grew from I think APL to WSL in about year using a homemade sulfur growth mix. She now sells it herself and lots of other ladies say they have had success with it. I plan on ordering some once my self imposed no buy challenge is over.

DancingQueen
March 24th, 2013, 01:07 AM
I think I believe more in eating it as well. I eat two scrambled eggs with rye bread every morning, and I almost always use garlic and onion in my food. I often cook for 2 days, and I am using one really big onion, and 6 pieces of garlic.

It could be just my imagination and the fact that I started to let my mother cut my hair, but it does seem to have grown pretty fast since my haircut last month. Interesting thread. :)

Lalital
March 24th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I will experiment with this a little further. I have the oil/sulfur mix on my head right now. As I suspected I just needed some time to build up a tolerance for it. No headache today.

I have sulfur I would like to put in a soaking oil. Mine is sulfur powder which dissolves in water so I'm wondering, how do you get your sulfur to mix with the oil? Do you have a recipe or method I could use? :)

Mommyof4
March 24th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Sulphur detoxifies, so it may make you feel ill at first in large doses because of the toxins being filtered out of your body. I love sulphur, but I have only taken MSM and I have better growth with the high sulphur content water from the wells in the county that I live in. I'm going to definitely try the onion conditioner thing, though!

curly girl fla
March 24th, 2013, 11:29 AM
There is a lady on LHCF who grew from I think APL to WSL in about year using a homemade sulfur growth mix. She now sells it herself and lots of other ladies say they have had success with it. I plan on ordering some once my self imposed no buy challenge is over.
I want to order her oil as well, and I plan to do so when I am done with the Liquid Gold. I make a lot of my own hair things, but the sulfur mix I'll continue to get pre-bottled. I must say, after a week of using this particular oil, I see the baby hairs appearing and growing at my hairline just like before. It (sulfur, growth oils, massage) sure does work for me, I just have to have the resolve to be consistent.

MaryMarx
March 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Oh, think I have to try that... so just chopped onion, tiny tiny pieces or does it not really matter?

rock007junkie
March 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Sulphur detoxifies, so it may make you feel ill at first in large doses because of the toxins being filtered out of your body. I love sulphur, but I have only taken MSM and I have better growth with the high sulphur content water from the wells in the county that I live in. I'm going to definitely try the onion conditioner thing, though!

I was not aware of that. Very interesting!

That's where I got the idea for my mix. I had most of the ingredients so i decided to give it a go myself.

I have sulfur I would like to put in a soaking oil. Mine is sulfur powder which dissolves in water so I'm wondering, how do you get your sulfur to mix with the oil? Do you have a recipe or method I could use? :)

This is the mix that the afformentioned lady above uses http://mydivaspot.com/content.php?166-NJoy%92s-Sulfur-Mix-for-Hair-Growth

I modified it though. I used 4 ounces of mustard oil, 4 ounces of jamaican black castor oil and a teaspoon of sublimed sulfur.

rock007junkie
March 26th, 2013, 07:42 PM
By the way, I applied my mix today for the 3rd time and no headache. I'm loving how the castor oil in my mix is making my scalp so much better and makes it feel so much cleaner once I wash. I'll update on growth later

Firefly
March 26th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Interesting thread. It caught my eye because I just started using Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Shampoo (for flaky scalp) and it has sulfur in it. I was a little nervous about that but so far I'm really liking it. I wonder if I'll notice a difference in growth as well... if so I'll post back to the thread!

MaryMarx
March 31st, 2013, 11:05 AM
So today I washed my hair with a shampo-onion-mix I made a week ago.
It smelled a bit weird, but once washed out and dry there is no onion smell left in the hair. :)

Calaelen
March 31st, 2013, 01:09 PM
I will be a guinea pig. I started taking 1000mg MSM exactly one week ago. Today I made up a topical treatment using 2 onions, 3 egg yolks and plenty of rosemary EO. I have it applied right now, and will be applying it every third day. Will report back in one month! Length right now is 43.5 inches, and I usually get 1/2 inch per month new growth. I'll take a pic for comparison tomorrow, so there will be a before/after pic at the end of this experiment. :D

Kaelee
March 31st, 2013, 05:51 PM
Does eating sulfur do it too? I don't think I want to put onions on my hair, but I make a garlic tea when I'm sick (not as gross as it sounds) and I wouldn't mind drinking a cup of that a day if it would increase my growth. I'm a little afraid to take MSM supplements.

Calaelen
March 31st, 2013, 09:36 PM
Yes, eating sulfur is supposed to help as well:) Update on my treatment, rosemary EO was a silly choice to combat the onion smell. After washing it out, and shampooing, my hair smells exactly like souvlaki. So, next treatment I am going to add some bpal, and skip the rosemary..lol.

Barnet Girl
September 18th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Any updates on how sulfur is working out for you ladies? I've just been looking at reviews for Sulfur Sublimed powder (medicinal grade and reportedly doesn't stink) on Amazon.co.uk and there are RAVE reviews about growth. Also worth noting that the correct ratio is 1:10 sulfur to oil. How long are people leaving the mix on for?

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hey ladies!

I have been taking MSM for about 4 months every day. I take 1000mg of MSM powder in gel caps. I have noticed that my hair is growing a bit more quickly and also a bit fuller than before. I think it's a good supplement.

Barnet Girl
September 19th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I see that youtube reports on topically applying sulfur oil has resulted in (I quote) "ca-razy dry hair" to the point where this girl experienced no growth for 2 months. She attributes this to the ends breaking off due to the dryness of her hair. Darn it, this information deters me from trying sulfur. Was so looking forward to trying it and experiencing supersonic growth. Not at the expense of my hair I'm afraid. This girl was saying that she was intensively moisturising her hair but still it was incredibly dry. Did anyone else find this?

Liz_park
September 19th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I see that youtube reports on topically applying sulfur oil has resulted in (I quote) "ca-razy dry hair" to the point where this girl experienced no growth for 2 months. She attributes this to the ends breaking off due to the dryness of her hair. Darn it, this information deters me from trying sulfur. Was so looking forward to trying it and experiencing supersonic growth. Not at the expense of my hair I'm afraid. This girl was saying that she was intensively moisturising her hair but still it was incredibly dry. Did anyone else find this?

I have never applied it topically, in oil form or otherwise. I have been taking sulfur in MSM form (it's a bioavailable form of sulfur). It's been found to promote hair growth and tissue repair. You need to take it for at least three months to see a difference, but I have noticed it makes my hair thicker and grow faster.

I'm curious about topical application too though!

HintOfMint
September 19th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I remember a few molasses threads from way back, what do y'all think of sulfured molasses as a scalp treatment? Do you think it would have any effect on growth/thickness/overall health of hair?

Buddaphlyy
September 20th, 2013, 12:35 AM

I started using a homemade sulfur mix in June and I have noticed a slight increase in growth in certain areas, mostly my hairline. I have alopecia in other areas of my head but the mix doesn't seem to help them.

Sulfur can be drying, but usually it's because people mix it wrong, or with the wrong oils. Finding a good oil mix for your hair is key. My oil mix includes toasted sesame, safflower, and walnut oil. On their own, they're okay, but my mix can be a little drying at time. Next time I will probably do castor oil instead of the toasted sesame oil because it provides a little more lubrication.

Barnet Girl
September 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Are there any particular rules / key ingredients for the oil mix? I would have personally chosen avocado, olive, shikakai oil and coconut due to the moisturising properties. I see most people use castor oil. Is that a necessary ingredient or is it just because castor oil gives good growth?

mscm
September 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Actually ordered MSM yesterday! Cant wait for it to arrive. Coming back to this thread after testing them out for a few months!

Buddaphlyy
September 20th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Are there any particular rules / key ingredients for the oil mix? I would have personally chosen avocado, olive, shikakai oil and coconut due to the moisturising properties. I see most people use castor oil. Is that a necessary ingredient or is it just because castor oil gives good growth?

Castor oil has been reported to help thicken hair but I personally never experienced that. Be sure to try your mix before you add the sulfur. The sulfur will automatically make the mix a little dryer so, you may have to adjust the ratio of oils to make it the most moisturizing.

Lilelfen1
June 12th, 2014, 07:33 AM
What a great thread! So intriguing. I have been eating eggs every morning for 5 months, often with added onion and garlic. I just noticed my new hairs were gloriously thick and strong ( for me that is. I am a fine hair). It all makes sense now. :happydance: Did want to add, for you ladies using castor oil in your mixes, castor oil is a cleansing oil and has been known to cause a film on the hair, so can have the opposite effect of moisturizing for some, which may explain some dryness issues. So might not be so much the sulphur in the mix, but rather the oils. HIH.

ChloeDharma
January 26th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I'm bumping this up because, well I'm just interested to (hopefully) read more thoughts/experiences :)

likelikepenny
January 26th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I'm bumping this up because, well I'm just interested to (hopefully) read more thoughts/experiences :)

I wonder if anyone has tried applying this topically. I've seen a few recipes floating around, perhaps I should research a bit more and come back with some info.

ChloeDharma
January 27th, 2017, 04:24 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried applying this topically. I've seen a few recipes floating around, perhaps I should research a bit more and come back with some info.

I was adding MSM powder to my herb rinse but for some reason just forgot to keep doing it. The rinse was great though and seemed to encourage my hair to start curling again though that could have been the fenugreek. I'm interested in maybe a sulphur oil though but I'm always interested in oil versions of things ;)

Arctic
January 27th, 2017, 05:39 AM
I have taken MSM internally and noticed no effects what so ever - on hair or otherwise. I have also tried adding MSM into my aloe vera + essential oil mix (applied for scalp, I did thi quite diligently for a while) but noticed no effects on hair. My scalp got irritated after a while, but I don't think it was the MSM, more likely the EOs and my scalp was being overly sensitive at the time too. I stopped the scalp treatments after that. I still hav quite a bit og msm but no motivation to use it - no noticeable effects and tastes bitter. :)

Agnieszka
January 27th, 2017, 12:36 PM
I tried MSM but unfortunately ended up with a migraine. I normally never get migraines. It lasted about 3 weeks. I'm scared to take it again.

lilelf
November 30th, 2017, 06:09 PM
I think it is about time to reopen this thread. I would love to hear of any experiences any one has had.Sublimed sulfur is on its way. We shall see... :)

mira-chan
November 30th, 2017, 06:33 PM
I've tried to make an oil - sulfur mix before, and not with MSM, but actual sublimed sulfur. It was something like 7 years ago, from what I remember in my research for this, the recommended percentage was hard to dissolve. So I'd suggest going with very low percentages, starting at 1% or less. I don't remember the exact percent from my research but my spotty memory is telling me something like 4% is what I attempted and it didn't dissolve well. I'd suggest stating at maybe 0.25% by volume, if not less.

Notes on it:
1. It can help with skin conditions a bit but I do suggest using this sparingly.
2. It stinks!... as you would expect sulfur to.

Natashap
November 30th, 2017, 11:45 PM
WHERE can I find sulfur shampoo or so~ any suggestions.

lapushka
December 1st, 2017, 08:17 AM
WHERE can I find sulfur shampoo or so~ any suggestions.

Here Elséve do one. It is also known under Elvive. It's this one:
https://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imagebase3/extralarge/FC/4/0/8/6/9200000073146804_1.jpg

I think it has it in it, but you'd have to check the ingredients. I'm quite sure, but not 100%!

lilelf
December 20th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I've tried to make an oil - sulfur mix before, and not with MSM, but actual sublimed sulfur. It was something like 7 years ago, from what I remember in my research for this, the recommended percentage was hard to dissolve. So I'd suggest going with very low percentages, starting at 1% or less. I don't remember the exact percent from my research but my spotty memory is telling me something like 4% is what I attempted and it didn't dissolve well. I'd suggest stating at maybe 0.25% by volume, if not less.

Notes on it:
1. It can help with skin conditions a bit but I do suggest using this sparingly.
2. It stinks!... as you would expect sulfur to.

Thank you, Mira-chan. I did notice the sulphur didn't dissolve and yet, no grainy feeling on my scalp. Weird. I do think I will go with a smaller percentage, as you suggested, because two washes later and I could STILL smell the sulphur in my hair...

mira-chan
December 20th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Thank you, Mira-chan. I did notice the sulphur didn't dissolve and yet, no grainy feeling on my scalp. Weird. I do think I will go with a smaller percentage, as you suggested, because two washes later and I could STILL smell the sulphur in my hair...

You're welcome. :) It is quite intense. Less is more in this case.