PDA

View Full Version : Can deposit only shampoos stain permanently?

jackgirl
March 2nd, 2013, 07:32 AM
Hiya

After growing out all my bleach I decided I wanted a red tint to my hair. I'd been using these shampoos from superdrug, they are called colour effects and gradually add colour. Recently the instructions have changed from "leave on for 5 mins, or 20 for a stronger effect, colour will increase with regular use" to "leave on for 5 minutes, do not exceed time stated"

The first couple of times I left them on for 20 minutes, and then 5ish with every wash. More recently I've not even been leaving it on but just washing and rinsing like a shampoo.

I'm a bit worried that repetitively staining my hair with it will make it permanent, although there is no peroxide or mixing involved, just a shampoo with colour in it. It's pretty, but I don't want to have to grow it out again!

Has anyone had experience with this or anything similar?

Kaelee
March 2nd, 2013, 12:43 PM
I used to use them, years ago, and never had any issue (not the same brand though). In fact that's making me want to pick one up again *lol*. I think it will depend on 1) the shampoo 2) your hair color 3) your hair type. If your hair is very porous it very well might stain it for a long time.

Do you know why they changed the directions? You might want to contact the company or try to find out through Google what the issue was.

browneyedsusan
March 4th, 2013, 05:36 AM
I've used color depositing shampoos--before I started using henna--, and they worked great for my previously-colored hair, but did nothing for my virgin roots. (I suspect it had something to do with the porosity of the hair cuticle?) I experienced gradual fading once I stopped using them. Kind of like a demi-permanent hair color?

missketi
March 4th, 2013, 07:08 AM
It didn't stain my brown hair or the bleach I'm growing out but I'm not sure about natural blonde hair.

arcane
March 4th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I had deposit only dye stain my hair, it was very porous from bleach damage though.

Bagginslover
March 5th, 2013, 02:38 AM
I'd imagine that if you used one of those blonde shampoos (I think they contain a small amount of developer or something, to brighten blonde hair) when you want ed to take the red out, it would help. I once coloured in some of my bleached strands when I was younger, using what i thought was a washable marker-it wasn't (yeah, I was young and stupid!). The blonde shampoo got it out :)

jackgirl
March 5th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks folks :) I haven't used them for about 4 shampoos so its a bit early to tell. I'm still much more ginger than I remember though! I'll give it another couple of weeks before I start panicking :)

Nightshade
March 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Heh, it can. If you have light hair, especially porous hair that's been bleached color will grab onto that pretty hard.

I had a friend in High School who was a pretty light (bleached) blonde and decided to use my red-tinted shampoo (I was using chemical red dye at the time.)

Her hair was PINK and it didn't wash out. She wound up coloring over it.

IndigoOptimist
March 5th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I use the red and have found that with prolonged use (been using it for almost a year) it has started to stay in my hair. My roots are now growing back a different colour to the rest of my hair and although it's faded a lot from when it was freshly put on, you can still see that my hair is now red, not it's normal browny blonde.
HOWEVER, I have noticed red coming through my hair in the last few years. It's also not summer, so my hair hasn't been bleached by the sun yet and this may account for the roots looking darker. Also bare in mind that I mix the colour effects with deep conditioner and leave it on for around 4 hours before rinsing it off (I found that leaving it for 20 minutes, or even 1 hour left no colour what so ever). Last time I used colour effects was before Christmas, and I still have some red in my hair, although it's getting closer to blonde now.
It doesn't really bother me that it's not coming out. I have tried really hard the last 3 years not to dye my hair, and I've only used things like manic panic since March 2010. I don't really like my natural colour - it's just a bit flat and boring - so I'm quite happy for the colour effects to stain my hair and make it look naturally red rather than dye it, or put up with it being dull xD

jackgirl
March 7th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I use the red and have found that with prolonged use (been using it for almost a year) it has started to stay in my hair. My roots are now growing back a different colour to the rest of my hair and although it's faded a lot from when it was freshly put on, you can still see that my hair is now red, not it's normal browny blonde.
HOWEVER, I have noticed red coming through my hair in the last few years. It's also not summer, so my hair hasn't been bleached by the sun yet and this may account for the roots looking darker. Also bare in mind that I mix the colour effects with deep conditioner and leave it on for around 4 hours before rinsing it off (I found that leaving it for 20 minutes, or even 1 hour left no colour what so ever). Last time I used colour effects was before Christmas, and I still have some red in my hair, although it's getting closer to blonde now.
It doesn't really bother me that it's not coming out. I have tried really hard the last 3 years not to dye my hair, and I've only used things like manic panic since March 2010. I don't really like my natural colour - it's just a bit flat and boring - so I'm quite happy for the colour effects to stain my hair and make it look naturally red rather than dye it, or put up with it being dull xD

It does look very natural on you! I've only been using it for a month or so and got through about 2.5 bottles, so I wouldn't have thought that was enough to stain. I might just have a bad memory of what colour my hair was before! In the meantime I have trimmed out the last of my bleach so maybe being without that bit of blonde contrast (which was the bits around my face I could see) it looks different.

jackgirl
March 7th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Heh, it can. If you have light hair, especially porous hair that's been bleached color will grab onto that pretty hard.

I had a friend in High School who was a pretty light (bleached) blonde and decided to use my red-tinted shampoo (I was using chemical red dye at the time.)

Her hair was PINK and it didn't wash out. She wound up coloring over it.

Thanks, I'm hoping this won't happen as I've finally cut out the last of my bleach damage :) So it's all on the virgin hair I'm concerned about. I suppose it goes without saying that repeated use will probably stain it, it would just be nice to know if it would wash out when I wanted it to eventually!

jackgirl
April 5th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Is it weird that this stuff is still in my hair? I just pulled out a white hair with an inch of white root and the rest is stained a pale ginger. I've been using a clarifying shampoo. Any tips how to get the rest out?